Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I was actually thinking in the first couple hours of elden ring "wow, a souls game with an open world is like what if skyrim was engaging and interesting?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm excited for crusader kings. I saw it listed but it didn't say whether it was console or PC so I assumed PC. I'm excited to play on Xbox, I've never played it but heard a lot of good things.

Ive got the placeholder preinstall done, cant wait to plot family murders from my comfy seat

acksplode
May 17, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm excited for crusader kings. I saw it listed but it didn't say whether it was console or PC so I assumed PC. I'm excited to play on Xbox, I've never played it but heard a lot of good things.

The console port has controller support that the PC release won't be getting and I'm jealous. Have fun

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
CK has been on PC game pass for a while and it’s amazing but I get overwhelmed by so much stuff to do and keep track of and end up getting overthrown by the snivelling nephew I kept forgetting about.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was disappointed in the direction they went with the Elder Scrolls series starting with Oblivion, but in a way, it's been a blessing in disguise. If they had never made Oblivion a 360 exclusive, it never would have made Sony throw a few bucks at FROM Software's way to make them a competitor and we'd never have the Souls franchise today.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I love Skyrim and ESO, have never played a Dark Souls game, and am going to be playing Elden Ring in a day or so. I will get to the bottom of which is the objectively better game and report back to the group.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’ve played them all and they all stink compared to Lands of Lore 3 for the PC

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to dig elden ring. I'm not a big fan of the souls games where if you breathe wrong you die.

Skyrim just scratches that weird itch in my brain that lets me be a giant kitty and walk around suplexing bandits while picking flowers and herbs. It's oddly relaxing.

RDR2 kinda does the same with the hunting stuff and fishing stuff, up until the rest of the gang tracks you down to bring you back to base.

I just enjoy a massive open world where I can gently caress around and have fun without really worrying about iframes and half pressing the A button to avoid some gigantic rear end in a top hat with a hammer squishing me in one hit.

Haven't tried much online stuff cause I really just dig relaxing. Pub servers tend to be a toxic hellscape filled with racists and screaming children.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I do enjoy Skyrim for what it is, a brainless open world RPG with funny combat ragdolls and the ability to produce amazing desktop backgrounds after I've modded the poo poo out of it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I just enjoy a massive open world where I can gently caress around and have fun without really worrying about iframes and half pressing the A button to avoid some gigantic rear end in a top hat with a hammer squishing me in one hit.

Have you played Rage 2? Pretty good for that

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm not going to dig elden ring. I'm not a big fan of the souls games where if you breathe wrong you die.

Skyrim just scratches that weird itch in my brain that lets me be a giant kitty and walk around suplexing bandits while picking flowers and herbs. It's oddly relaxing.

RDR2 kinda does the same with the hunting stuff and fishing stuff, up until the rest of the gang tracks you down to bring you back to base.

Haven't tried much online stuff cause I really just dig relaxing. Pub servers tend to be a toxic hellscape filled with racists and screaming children.

Elden Ring is ok. I played about twenty hours and got my money worth but at some point I had to ask myself why I was wasting hours dieing on this one boss when I could be playing a better game like RDR2 or Horizon 2

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Skyrim is cool but the one thing I always thought was missing was the ability to tell other players to put a finger in a butthole. Elden Ring goty

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you people who use games as basically as interactive cable box screensavers are insane to me. but anyway, frankly that's kind of even more embarrassing for the other big open world titles lol. the only people prefering their game are the ones playing it because it's unexciting and unchallenging.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Larry Parrish posted:

you people who use games as basically as interactive cable box screensavers are insane to me. but anyway, frankly that's kind of even more embarrassing for the other big open world titles lol. the only people prefering their game are the ones playing it because it's unexciting and unchallenging.

yeah gently caress these people playing the games they want to play in the way they want to play them.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Larry Parrish posted:

Ah yes darksouls.txt is back

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John F Bennett posted:

yeah gently caress these people playing the games they want to play in the way they want to play them.

that's not what I said. but surely you can understand that for 99% of people the purpose of a video game is to entertain them with the challenge or spectacle of it. your average open world game is pretty much neither. it's fine if you have some really weird thing you get out of gaming that almost nobody else does but it does mean that the games you like are loving up really badly somewhere. like, my favorite kinds of books are slice of life ones with extremely slow plots (if any). these are extremely unpopular kinds of novels so they're hard to find but i don't hold it against people who don't like them because I'm aware it's something that basically no novel readers are looking for.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
He's right that's why no one bought rdr2 and Skyrim.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

that's not what I said. but surely you can understand that for 99% of people the purpose of a video game is to entertain them with the challenge or spectacle of it. your average open world game is pretty much neither. it's fine if you have some really weird thing you get out of gaming that almost nobody else does but it does mean that the games you like are loving up really badly somewhere. like, my favorite kinds of books are slice of life ones with extremely slow plots (if any). these are extremely unpopular kinds of novels so they're hard to find but i don't hold it against people who don't like them because I'm aware it's something that basically no novel readers are looking for.

didn’t read any of this but stay mad nerd

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I love you tho

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Tapping into the epic Xbox knowledge base of this thread good sirs.

Peep my scenario.

I have an extremely fail and off-fleek work assignment coming up that I predict will limit my Xbox consumption to almost nil if even that.

I used my $1 for a month of xbox deal and it will be ending right when the fail assignment begins in a few days.

I plan on not having Xbox game pass during the fail time because I wont be able to play it.

Will I lose all my epic gamer progress on the win-rear end games that I've downloaded while I had game pass? whats the scenario? I assume I wont be able to play downloaded games.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

didn’t read any of this but stay mad nerd
You read it all lmao. Stay mad bitch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

You read it all lmao. Stay mad bitch.

didn’t read a word and don’t ever libel me again

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I will beat you up in real life

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

styls trill epic posted:

Peep my scenario.

I have an extremely fail and off-fleek work assignment coming up that I predict will limit my Xbox consumption to almost nil if even that.

I used my $1 for a month of xbox deal and it will be ending right when the fail assignment begins in a few days.

I plan on not having Xbox game pass during the fail time because I wont be able to play it.

Will I lose all my epic gamer progress on the win-rear end games that I've downloaded while I had game pass? whats the scenario? I assume I wont be able to play downloaded games.

You won't be able to play them but I'm like 90% sure your save games will still be there.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

You won't be able to play them but I'm like 90% sure your save games will still be there.

Thank you op. Hopefully with the knowledge base of this thread we can get that 90% certainty up to a whopping 100 percent

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I like niche games like Skyrim. You might not have heard of it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Skyrim was most fun when just doing whatever like fixing up old houses or whatever. I got that awesome lake house and filled it with cool kids and had some grouchy shieldmaiden looking after them, it ruled.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

styls trill epic posted:

Thank you op. Hopefully with the knowledge base of this thread we can get that 90% certainty up to a whopping 100 percent

You will still have your saves and you can even keep the games installed, you just can't play them. In fact, if you have the phone app, you can install games you don't own remotely and buy them later when you get to the console. hth

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The Bethesda RPG's are great, they do stuff that nobody else is doing. They are very unique. And I am excited for Starfield, which according to Todd Howard the man himself, will have a similar style as the TES games.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Skyrim is for people who want to read a fantasy book with a bad video game in between chapters.

Elden Ring is for people who want to play a video game with a bad fantasy book in between battles.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I like Skyrim for the bikini armor mods.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Larry Parrish posted:

Shut up retard

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

styls trill epic posted:

Peep my scenario.

Please stop posting like this for everyone's sake.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

:popeye:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the best kind of "mindless" stuff is in fully featured games that happen to have grind components, not games like skyrim where the whole thing is a grind component

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They're also great on the Nintendo Switch where you can do the grindy stuff on a bus ride or something and do the more full stuff at home which is why i need Yakuza 5 on switch immediately

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

I live in Australia and the Series X and PS5 aren't possible to get a hold of. And the S to X price difference is double. I'm not interested enough in games to wait for stuff to appear and scamper off to get it, or to pay scalping prices.

JB hifi have been doing silent pre-orders.

they put your name on a waiting list, and when they have stock to allocate to you they will ask you to pay a $100 deposit in store to reserve the hardware for pickup when it arrives - no online orders. you pay the balance on pick up. you can only purchase one at a time.

you can also get them via the 24 month plan thing that covers the cost of the console + 2yrs of gamepass or whatever.

not to say the S isnt suitable but its not impossible to get a console and I would be very surprised if people are actually paying scalpers asking price.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hey can you not say that?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Are there any issues to watch out for buying a used Series S? I usually travel full time and a console is totally impractical to cart around, but I'm going to be in one place for a couple of months and thinking about picking up a used Series S to game on while I'm here.

Thinking mainly of stuff like hardware level bans or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Getting wild in here again