Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

So Tennant’s redyed his hair from Crowley red back to 10th Doctor brunette. HMM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, that's also his natural hair color (or well, the color he chooses, I suppose he's more salt and pepper these days), so I wouldn't read too much into it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Might be more that he posted about it than he did it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
We're WAY too early for the 60th anniversary special to be filmed, unless it's three hours long with loads of CGI.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Filming begins in a month.

https://twitter.com/doctorwhopn/status/1498627235481370624

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
I hope it's filmed a week before it airs so that it ends up being 3 hours of running down corridors from a variety of lumbering rubber suits that can't see properly and bump into the painted styrofoam sets and cameras.

Strong Convections posted:

I guess I'd just always assumed that Jacobi grew up human - but thinking about it, the chameleon arch doesn't work that way, they stay the same age and just have a fake backstory.
Oh what the hell War Master audiobook?! I guess it can work that way according to Big Finish

Strong Convections fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 6, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:smith: Lynda Baron, also famous on Brit tv as Nurse Gladys Emmanuel.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1500860638515576833

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This is cool

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1500952231658631168?s=20&t=cMFo4se5OrRbZBNKKyg8CA

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

:smith: Lynda Baron, also famous on Brit tv as Nurse Gladys Emmanuel.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1500860638515576833

She's being harassed by Arkwright in heaven now :unsmith:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'd forgotten how much of the first episode of Logopolis is taken up by Tegan replacing a tire.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

OldMemes posted:

I'd forgotten how much of the first episode of Logopolis is taken up by Tegan replacing a tire.
Nothing beats the 17 hours of panning along an empty Brighton beach in The Leisure Hive.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

RAY BLOODY PURCHASE

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1502298313974026242?s=20&t=M_fHdhH4usWCPpLPzTztWw

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
WELL

WELL

WELLLL

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I really wish that Big Finish would prorate their bundle pricing to account for audios you already own. I would have spent more except the bundles I was interested in weren't a discount at all when I accounted for the ones I have.

At least I've got a lot more Colin Baker now. I don't know if other people in this thread were aware of this, but he's really great in those audio dramas.

Seriously, I was listening his story in the second Old Doctors, New Monsters box set and his story was an enormous stand-out. Because I prioritized other C. Baker audios for pick up, I hadn't heard one of his performances in a while and it was a real "Oh, yeah, he's amazing!" moment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

At least I've got a lot more Colin Baker now. I don't know if other people in this thread were aware of this, but he's really great in those audio dramas.

It really brings into even sharper relief how much he was largely let down by the awful television production (plus of course all the exterior bullshit) of his time in the show.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

It really brings into even sharper relief how much he was largely let down by the awful television production (plus of course all the exterior bullshit) of his time in the show.

I know it's preaching to the choir, but I think a large part of this is that the audio format is perfect for 6's larger-than-life persona. Baker has a great voice for audio and having him go big while everyone else is playing the scene straight works for the Doctor.

When it comes to audios, Davidson is still beige, McCoy always has to play the manipulator which often makes him come across as a passive character, and I forget what McGann's deal is, while C Baker feels the most like the Doctor to me in the Big Finish stories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I forget what McGann's deal is

So does he! :haw:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

i swear to god

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Random Stranger posted:

I forget what McGann's deal is

Happy to be here.

McGann is in a kind of a weird place where the only bit of characterization he got in the TV was "wide-eyed romantic." (Come to think of it, he's actually not dissimilar to Thirteen in that way, though she's more wide-eyed and less romantic.) But he's totally uninterested in playing that character in the audios and goes instead for "wry observer standing in the doorway." The 50th anniversary mini does a pretty good job of bridging those two ideas, or at least supposes that the Time War caused the change in his character.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy58nAuH1XY

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Finally, validation for my poo pooposts

Would be nice if we could wear those Doctor outfits though

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 17, 2022

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Fourteenth Doctor will be played by a fish, I guess.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Should have saved him for the Fishteeth Doctor regeneration.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/MonstersAndLove/status/1504422409952276497

:allears:

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Rochallor posted:

McGann is in a kind of a weird place where the only bit of characterization he got in the TV was "wide-eyed romantic." (Come to think of it, he's actually not dissimilar to Thirteen in that way, though she's more wide-eyed and less romantic.) But he's totally uninterested in playing that character in the audios and goes instead for "wry observer standing in the doorway." The 50th anniversary mini does a pretty good job of bridging those two ideas, or at least supposes that the Time War caused the change in his character.
Is that what he's going for? It just sounds like the actor is unenthusiastic about doing the recording. Admittedly I've only heard him in a couple of things, but the stories were fine and the extras were fine, and he just sounded like he couldn't be bothered to insert any life into his performance.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Is that what he's going for? It just sounds like the actor is unenthusiastic about doing the recording. Admittedly I've only heard him in a couple of things, but the stories were fine and the extras were fine, and he just sounded like he couldn't be bothered to insert any life into his performance.

As somebody who's not at all inclined to be generous to Big Finish, I do honestly think it's a personal choice rather than laziness (although everybody there except Colin Baker is phoning it in a little). Even in the very early stories Eight's written pretty differently from the movie or the books and I'd bet there was some meeting where they asked McGann what he wanted to do. He seems to get darker or bittersweet stories, or at least he did when I was still listening.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There are different eras of McGann performance at BF, some which capture a silly youthfulness, and others that are a bit angrier and darker. Some of the later stuff depicts the character as being straight up mentally unstable.

The "current" era -- Stranded -- is a bit more laconic, but there's space in the performance for a lot of different shades.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"Laconic" is definitely how I'd describe McGann's Doctor when I'm not making jokes about amnesia. And it definitely feels like a deliberate choice: the Doctor as a Byronic hero. I don't think it's that McGann isn't interested in the role since if he didn't want to go on, this has to be just about the easier production to quit. I do think his character choices have limited him a lot more that the other actors in the Big Finish line up. I also don't think he was well served by being the linchpin of Big Finish's attempts at long form storytelling, which I think has been their greatest weakness.

His Doctor isn't as flat as Davison's, but he's often dispassionate and he might have the worst writing of any Doctor in the Big Finish line (yes, he has some great stories, I'm talking about overall).

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Random Stranger posted:

"Laconic" is definitely how I'd describe McGann's Doctor when I'm not making jokes about amnesia.

More like 'Lacunic' :dadjoke:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I think some of it is that McGann is just more soft spoken, whereas the Bakers and McCoy are more naturally flamboyant and put more of that into their Doctors.

McGann can be frequently fantastic as 8, with the acidic barbs, the sense of excitment, the moments of outrage etc. I do prefer the more world weary later Eighth Doctor, but the version of the character set closer to the film is great too. Dark Eyes 1 is a great showing of Eight's range - there's a reason its the story where he ditches the movie outfit and haircut. He's goes from unstable and maniac, to bitter and cynical, wide eyed and adventurous, it's great. The scene where he tries to talk a young time lord through his regeneration is excellent. The C'rizz and post Divergent Universe stuff is a rough spot, but retooling the Eighth Doctor line to be closer to nu-Who than Classic Who was a great call.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

His Doctor isn't as flat as Davison's, but he's often dispassionate and he might have the worst writing of any Doctor in the Big Finish line (yes, he has some great stories, I'm talking about overall).

They've done some cool things with Davison the last few years -- the arc Guy Adams plotted has the character reach a breaking point, and pushes the fractious 80's TARDIS crew to some new places. That and they started shipping Nyssa and Tegan more earnestly (though BF is too much of a coward to actually go there, sadly).

Then Guy Adams left the company and the arc wraps perfunctorily, but whatever, you can't have everything.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Rochallor posted:

As somebody who's not at all inclined to be generous to Big Finish, I do honestly think it's a personal choice rather than laziness (although everybody there except Colin Baker is phoning it in a little).
The impression I've got is that most aren't phoning it in, they're just not exceptionally trained/skilled at voice acting and also at some times there's a discomfort or uncertainty with it.
One of the things that stands out to me is that yells/screams are weak and sound like they're embarrassed and trying to keep it down. That's a direction failure though.

Is there an obvious "this is the best one" of McGann?
One where he's not "weary" or "laconic" even if it's a deliberate choice?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My absolute favorite 8th Doctor audio, and possibly my favorite Big Finish audio of all, is Scherzo. It is ASTONISHINGLY weird, and McGann plays the Doctor in a really fascinating way as he tries to figure out a way to anchor himself and his companion in a universe where time doesn't exist.

It's sadly both the first and arguably ONLY story in the Divergent Universe arc that actually nails the sense of being in a completely alien environment, and I love it so much. I listened to the majority of it late one night walking home through a storm which may have impacted on how much I enjoyed it (in a positive sense) but goddamn do I love that story.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Is there an obvious "this is the best one" of McGann?
One where he's not "weary" or "laconic" even if it's a deliberate choice?

The Natural History Of Fear. It's McGann's favourite script.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So, uh, about those Hugh Grant rumors that are everywhere this morning?

https://metro.co.uk/2022/03/20/hugh-grant-in-conversation-to-replace-jodie-whittaker-as-doctor-who-16309309/amp/

I’m taking when with a huge grain of salt, but I have seen a lot of sites running with it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

He’d be the oldest actor to take over the role (not including John Hurt).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah but he'd be fun. Let him do a single series and then bounce.

Yeah, that's what I want. Lots of one and done Doctors.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Well, um, yes, uh, you see Daleks, you’ve been very wrong, and I think you should leave. Oh dear, there, I’ve gone and said it.

I actually love Hugh Grant, and he could be great, depending on how he played it (and assuming this is true). But I can’t shake this image of him.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/roguerigatoni/status/1505554015681142788

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Liz Hurley should be the next Doctor :allears: