Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I apologize for the judging nature of my post. If you wanna play the Hogwarts game, at least do it in a way where WB and JK get no money. I recommend one of those Gamestop used copies where it's obvious that they just took the shrink wrap off of a new copy they couldn't sell and put a discount sticker on it. That way, you can be sure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

there's no way in hell i'll ever give joanne any money. i'd take money from her if i could

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Iruma-kun is so good. I need to finish last season so I can start reading the manga.

You should. The arcs after the second season of the anime are real good.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

was rewatching the end of mugen train with my sis and i had forgotten how effective the end of it was at making you sad. my sister was caught off guard. how come the cool magic sword fight japanese cartoon makes you feel feels so often
was also reminded of the absurd production value of entertainment district. the loving intro alone...

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I didn’t watch the newest season of Demon Slayer cause I had seen the movie and them going “yeah we’re showing the movie again but in episode form now” killed my drive to watch it and I forgot to start when the Entertainment arc started. If I’ve seen the movie can I just jump right into the new arc or does the TV cut change anything that I need to watch like the last episode or two of the Mugen Train stuff?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

[Mah - hoot - o - koh - ro]

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

I didn’t watch the newest season of Demon Slayer cause I had seen the movie and them going “yeah we’re showing the movie again but in episode form now” killed my drive to watch it and I forgot to start when the Entertainment arc started. If I’ve seen the movie can I just jump right into the new arc or does the TV cut change anything that I need to watch like the last episode or two of the Mugen Train stuff?

aside from the first ep of Mugen Train being anime-original Rengoku stuff, you can just start the Entertainment District arc

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

watch the first episode, but then just skip to entertainment arc.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Iruma-kun is so good. I need to finish last season so I can start reading the manga.

you're in for a treat. im re-reading it right now. fun manga

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

El Burbo posted:

[Mah - hoot - o - koh - ro]

I guess Japan won the Mage War in JKR's timeline?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i thought little witch academia was ftw. and i liked Harry Potter as a kid until he wanted to be a cop and then it pissed me off lol.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Larryb posted:

Japan did make their own version of Powerpuff Girls at least (as well as a two part TMNT OVA)
this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwqKg76GJCo&hd=1

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yup, it’s weird and never made it stateside (though we did wind up getting some of the toys from it as I recall)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's apparently a tie in for a manga only released in Japan.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

It's apparently a tie in for a manga only released in Japan.

Was the manga ever translated by anyone? And if so is it basically the same as the OVA or is there more to it?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Sadly I don't think it was ever translated.

I do know the OVA events are pretty far into it and it went a while after.

Edit: Using the old cbr format but they are the "Super Turtles" series in this link http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2009/05/tmnt-manga.html?m=1

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 16, 2022

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

So since it has become the topic, what's a good magic anime then? I've seen LWA and I keep up with Mashle.

I was weirdly fond of the Fate/Zero spinoff where the kid wizard had grown up to be a wizard professor who was also a detective.

He investigated mysteries, and none of them made any sense because everyone involved was a wizard.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I like the Clock Tower as a magic university setting.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just finally watched the last three episodes of Deca-Dence. I don't know why people say that show falls off, sure it peaked with episode 5 but I really enjoyed it the whole way through.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it doesn't fall off so much as play out in an increasingly familiar way for a dystopia story, the dramatic irony stuff in the first arc was a lot more unique and impactful

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

The prison arc is absurdly slow compared to everything that comes before it. I dropped the show around episode nine

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arist posted:

I just finally watched the last three episodes of Deca-Dence. I don't know why people say that show falls off, sure it peaked with episode 5 but I really enjoyed it the whole way through.

It's a solid show all the way through, but with how shocking the episode 2 twist was, and with the high-concept setting, people had high expectations for a really interesting narrative payoff, which wound up being a more traditional story narrative, and things worked out rather conveniently towards the end. Also, Natsume doesn't get to do too much in the back half of the show, which feels like a narrative misstep.

TL;dr: people had their hopes up for an all time classic/thought provoking show, and it didn't meet those expectations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah my only problems with it (and they're small ones) are Natsume being kinda sidelined in the second half and the completely pointless death of Pipe

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Natsume is the better lead of Deca-dance and the fact the second half makes her a supporting character was a big misstep and while the whole isn't bad it really didn't reach the heights I thought it could.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thanks for the magic manga recommendations, I keep forgetting that Flying Witch is a thing and I got maybe 6 chapters into Iruma-kun way back when before I just wandered off to look at other things.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I somehow ended up with a 3 months free trial of crunchyroll so decided to watch anime for the first time in over a decade. What is the current good thing in slice-of-life/romance/comedy that I should be watching?

I decided to start my journey back into the world by re-watching all of Toradora! which both holds up very well and has a very frustrating last ~5 minutes.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I somehow ended up with a 3 months free trial of crunchyroll so decided to watch anime for the first time in over a decade. What is the current good thing in slice-of-life/romance/comedy that I should be watching?

I decided to start my journey back into the world by re-watching all of Toradora! which both holds up very well and has a very frustrating last ~5 minutes.

kaguya-sama is the best of that genre since toradora

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

in terms of sol i would say check out the recent hobbyist ones like Yurucamp, Houkago Teibou Nisshi, and this season's Slow Loop

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Brutal Garcon posted:

I was weirdly fond of the Fate/Zero spinoff where the kid wizard had grown up to be a wizard professor who was also a detective.

He investigated mysteries, and none of them made any sense because everyone involved was a wizard.

Because Waver was inspired by Iskandar, the Best Servant. Ending the case files on something linked to Iskandar was great.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

slice-of-life
  • flying witch
  • laid back camp (season 1 is good but season 2 is hit or miss)

supposedly, "my dress up darling" is this season's romcom hit

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

sb hermit posted:

slice-of-life
  • flying witch
  • laid back camp (season 1 is good but season 2 is hit or miss)

These both sound up my alley so I'll check them out tomorrow during my breaks from gardening.

sb hermit posted:

but the title on this one is an immediate turn off for some reason.

Stink Billyums posted:

kaguya-sama is the best of that genre since toradora

This sounds kind of interesting so I will also give it a go.

Thanks for the suggestions

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

sb hermit posted:

the literal title from the japanese is "the bisque doll that fell in love", almost no one likes the localized title. actually very sweet but avoid if fanservice annoys you

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

The original Japanese title is "The China Doll Who Fell in Love," if that helps. (Probably not so much.)

But it's been placing first in all the fan polls for weeks, and mostly deserved too. Every character is fantastic.

e: haha yeah ^

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Mirage posted:

The original Japanese title is "The China Doll Who Fell in Love," if that helps. (Probably not so much.)

But it's been placing first in all the fan polls for weeks, and mostly deserved too. Every character is fantastic.

e: haha yeah ^

See now I'm curious if it is just Mannequin: the animated series

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that would be fun but it is a romcom about cosplaying

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's fan servicey but in a strange twist it doesn't bother me because i expect it in a story about otakus. normally it feels like someone at the publisher mandated it so they could sell more gacha or something.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Larry Parrish posted:

it's fan servicey but in a strange twist it doesn't bother me because i expect it in a story about otakus. normally it feels like someone at the publisher mandated it so they could sell more gacha or something.

I think if the main heroine was standard stuff the fanservice would bug me more. As it is, most of the fanservice stuff involving her has me immediately wonder if she's gonna notice what she's doing to this poor boy. She's hyper unaware pretty often.

It's always funny.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
gal is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I think if the main heroine was standard stuff the fanservice would bug me more. As it is, most of the fanservice stuff involving her has me immediately wonder if she's gonna notice what she's doing to this poor boy. She's hyper unaware pretty often.

It's always funny.

I think why it really works here is that Marin when in cosplay mode is just focused on cosplay and shuts everything else out, but when she gets out of cosplay mode she starts to notice or even falls head over heels herself (like the clothes shopping in this weeks episode). It makes things feel way more natural