Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Truly dire

why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

Any timeline on hrothgals yet?

no

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

not enough roes

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

Any timeline on hrothgals yet?

i wouldn't bet on them before 7.0 tbh

last we heard was the most recent live letter where they said they narrowed concepting down to two options

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
They're just going to reuse the female Miqo'te models.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/Dso_snowman/status/1402940828427776001?s=20&t=ecKUZAZifLGbwQ8mBNdVdQ

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Not surprised by any of these. A lot of people will be like 'See! People don't like tall races!" when it's more that you can't make a decent face with the 2.0 races outside of Cat and Tater. Elezen and Roes especially desperately need the 7.0 graphical updates.

Hroth and Viera are quite underplayed, though they have really bad tech limitations, especially Hroth.

e: Also animations! I thought about swapping to Elezen for 6.1 but when I spun one up on another server I saw that the run animations are absolutely atrocious!

Firebert fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 16, 2022

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Firebert posted:

Not surprised by any of these. A lot of people will be like 'See! People don't like tall races!" when it's more that you can't make a decent face with the 2.0 races outside of Cat and Tater. Elezen and Roes especially desperately need the 7.0 graphical updates.

Hroth and Viera are quite underplayed, though they have really bad tech limitations, especially Hroth.

The no hats thing is a problem, but they really should make them available to free trial players. A race not being available at the time of character creation is silly.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I know it's just a survey of people who respond to a survey in a Japanese magazine (2060 respondents) but the player demographics align pretty much perfectly with the players I've met in this game:

53% women, 41% men, 6% other/didn’t answer

4% teens, 40% 20s, 39% 30s, 14% 40s, 3% 50s, 0.3% 60 and up

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
It also aligns pretty cleanly with the active player demographics that occasionally get scraped, at least japan-side. For NA, halve the amount of lalas and put most of the overflow into viera.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Which phys ranged job is the most braindead? There's currently 3 P4S groups in party finder waiting for one to join so i might as well learn how to play one to help balance the roles.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

CJ posted:

Which phys ranged job is the most braindead? There's currently 3 P4S groups in party finder waiting for one to join so i might as well learn how to play one to help balance the roles.

I wouldn't play any, they all have class quests :(

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CJ posted:

I find Bard pretty straightforward but it really doesn't click with some folks. The downsides are that if you die at the wrong time it can be a serious chore to get rolling again (since it's all based on 45s cooldown songs), and the 2min cooldowns get a bit fiddly compared to the rest of Bard and always come at a footwork time in fights (on purpose, I assume).

Dancer felt simple in Shadowbringers with the main challenge being keeping things lined up with the folks you were buffing, haven't tried it in Endwalker.

Mechanist, to hear my brother describe it, is straightforward but hectic. There's always a button coming off cooldown that you should be pressing and it's easy to forget that you have a GCD you were supposed to be doing too.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I thought I'd be annoyed by the no-hats thing with Viera, but I just gave my WoL mom glasses and honestly it was the best choice I could have made. None of the PLD sets have helmets anyway.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

A Moose posted:

I wouldn't play any, they all have class quests :(

Good point, mechanist it is.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
I think a lot of people have been talking about DRK but MCH is the class I'm most hoping gets big changes in the next patch. It's a lot of work for not much payoff right now and there's a lot of weird rough edges to the kit that feel kinda bad IMO, and I don't even have bad ping (which is another problem they should address). At the very least it should get numbers buffs but I hope they change the class more than that, with apologies to the people who like it the way it is now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MCH was a lot of fun in ShB but I returned to BRD for raiding in EW. MCH just isn't very exciting right now.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm up to 67 on Dancer now and liking it pretty well, but my major issue is that Standard Step being a PBAoE and requiring a little bit of attention means I keep running in and getting nailed by mechanics, because I'm not really very good at this game. It's really hard to not get greedy with PBAoE, even after dying way too many times to alliance-raid trash piles.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Just treat every job as a melee class, and being able to attack ranged as a nice perk to have.

Your healers will also appreciate you more

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

I'm up to 67 on Dancer now and liking it pretty well, but my major issue is that Standard Step being a PBAoE and requiring a little bit of attention means I keep running in and getting nailed by mechanics, because I'm not really very good at this game. It's really hard to not get greedy with PBAoE, even after dying way too many times to alliance-raid trash piles.

DNC running in to step/AoE and getting plastered is just as normal as DRG leaping into mechanics, RDM backflipping off ledges, and BLM standing in every AOE to get one last cast. In other words dont worry too much about it.

I really love the job and even if it didnt get anything big or flashy in EW the QOL changes were more than enough to keep me playing it the most.

Just wish we had more weapon glam options. :(

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Antivehicular posted:

standard finish has a 15 yalm radius so you can be a lot further out than you probably think! max melee range is 3 yalms in comparison.

also just as a general rule ranged should hang out near melee anyways - it makes a lot of mechanics easier to deal with and centralizes the party to make it easier on healers.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dancer especially IMO because if you're dance partner with a melee DPS then standing near lets you both be in each other's heal AoE on Curing Waltz.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

dance finishes have a massive range, yeah, and you'll eventually get a feel for it

you will still get pasted in adr because none of the tanks will have their stance on and/or be grabbing mobs

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

MechaX posted:

Instructions unclear, generating a new Byakko-colored Hrothgar Scion

Kerrzhe posted:

but there already is one, it's me, i'm the warrior of light :shrug:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

No Dignity posted:

Why do people keep outing themselves as obnoxious players in this thread lol

For some reason one of my clearest memories of this thread was someone complaining about getting kicked for msq roulette idling and they got dogpiled and never posted again

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

PSA for any Mac users playing, MacOS 12.3 released recently breaks the game. Specifically it removes Python2 support which the version of CrossOver the FFXIV client uses requires (later versions do not, but SQEE hasn't updated). There's some ability to home-brew 2.7 and replace it with Symlinks but it's not particularly stable.

In the interim if you want to move to 12.3 and still play (and get plugins / GShade to boot) I can attest this solution works well. https://www.xivmac.com/faq Make sure you get the 3.1.4 beta, not the 2.4 alpha, their site needs updating.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 17, 2022

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For some reason one of my clearest memories of this thread was someone complaining about getting kicked for msq roulette idling and they got dogpiled and never posted again

Yeah, that was a good one. They kept complaining about how “unchill” everyone was for expecting them to actually play the game. That poster went on to become a mod, but not for Games thankfully.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
p4s door fight cleared. hooray! oh my god what the gently caress is going on in the main fight

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Act 2 is the hardest part of the fight IMO. Once you can consistently clear that you've basically won.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

troofs posted:

I think a lot of people have been talking about DRK but MCH is the class I'm most hoping gets big changes in the next patch. It's a lot of work for not much payoff right now and there's a lot of weird rough edges to the kit that feel kinda bad IMO, and I don't even have bad ping (which is another problem they should address). At the very least it should get numbers buffs but I hope they change the class more than that, with apologies to the people who like it the way it is now.

The overheat cycle honestly feels awful even when it was doing big damage because it's so god drat finicky.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

troofs posted:

This is funny for me because this was what people were saying about StB era MCH (which I liked) and what prompted the changes going into ShB for it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, ShB/EW MCH is rather fun and intuitive to play even if it's fairly high APM compared to some other classes, the problem is the numbers are just... bad. It needs potency increases across the board, especially since it has no team buffs to really help out. It's a really weird oversight for square's generally good class balance, but they've consistently overvalued the mobility-vs-damage ratio for ranged DPS so I guess that isn't a surprise.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Speaking of which, there's really no reason I should be doing so little damage as BRD compared to a caster when nu-SMN exists and has like, two hardcasts per minute

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

when will my husband stormblood machinist come home from the war

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Arist posted:

Speaking of which, there's really no reason I should be doing so little damage as BRD compared to a caster when nu-SMN exists and has like, two hardcasts per minute

wow good news!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lmao

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

when will my husband stormblood machinist come home from the war

Ibblebibble log out of your alt :v:

aers posted:

wow good news!

lmao

also gotta say i've been incredibly surprised at how much of a liking i've taken to samurai after taking it to 90; i think it may actually dethrone reaper as my favorite melee dps. it's got a decently complex rotation without breaking my loving braincell like monk and is sufficiently flashy to keep me amused. also doesn't feel too bad synced down to 50 which is nice for when you just wanna slam some trial roulettes for funsies

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't get it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
bard and summoner have basically identical dps it looks like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Oneiros posted:

Ibblebibble log out of your alt :v:

lmao

also gotta say i've been incredibly surprised at how much of a liking i've taken to samurai after taking it to 90; i think it may actually dethrone reaper as my favorite melee dps. it's got a decently complex rotation without breaking my loving braincell like monk and is sufficiently flashy to keep me amused. also doesn't feel too bad synced down to 50 which is nice for when you just wanna slam some trial roulettes for funsies

I love SAM. So fun, challenging but not frustrating, easy to grasp but also hard to really master. It's very fun.