Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Arid Alabama” and “Coastal New Mexico” are in tight competition for most nonsensical description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Texas has lots of windmills :(

Also leave Catalonia alone, it rules there and California sucks rear end

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Canary Islands are not “basically Hawaii”.

They’re more like coastal Southern California.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

California sucks rear end

Nope. Only how much it costs to live here.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I legitimately don't get New Jersey's location - Cantabria has about nothing in common other than a coast line. Is it supposed to be analagous to the wealthy areas of New Jersey, or is it supposed to be a wealthy version of New Jersey, because neither make any sense to me.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Nope. Only how much it costs to live here.

I mean that colors basically everything involved in living somewhere.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

To be honest, there isn’t a single part of that map that’s accurate unless you think Vermont is the next big wine region or that Valladolid gets blizzards and notably once had a temperature delta of 100 degrees in a single day, etc.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 17, 2022

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

RoastBeef posted:

I legitimately don't get New Jersey's location - Cantabria has about nothing in common other than a coast line. Is it supposed to be analagous to the wealthy areas of New Jersey, or is it supposed to be a wealthy version of New Jersey, because neither make any sense to me.

what is jamón ibérico but spanish gabagool

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Why is the Colorado river not going through Colorado? It's the Rio Grande that goes through New Mexico. I think Arizona might count as arid Alabama.

No idea what flat West Virginia could mean. Wouldn't that be like Kansas? Arkansas? Is it reliant on coal mines? Does it only show up in the national news from a politician representing the area fighting against the positive goals of his political party?

RoastBeef posted:

All I know about Jersey is it's half the castoff urban slurry of NYC and half cows.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Aragon = Oregon ?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The combination of Coastal New Mexico, Arid Alabama, and Flat West Virginia has me smelling a troll map.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

This map is useless, it doesn't differentiate between freight lines, commuter lines, subways and elevated rail. Pick up your game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Subtropical Alaska, archipelagial Wyoming

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Come to think of it, we all know Portugal is honorary slavs so they should really be labelled Manitoba

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Why is the Colorado river not going through Colorado? It's the Rio Grande that goes through New Mexico. I think Arizona might count as arid Alabama.

No idea what flat West Virginia could mean. Wouldn't that be like Kansas? Arkansas? Is it reliant on coal mines? Does it only show up in the national news from a politician representing the area fighting against the positive goals of his political party?

All I know about Jersey is it's half the castoff urban slurry of NYC and half cows.

That’s missing the pretty dense wealthy suburbs of Philadelphia part but not too wrong

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/Zaxbys/status/1228004315488497673

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Why is the Colorado river not going through Colorado?

The US has two Colorado Rivers, and only one of them goes anywhere near Colorado.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Platystemon posted:

Depends very much on where you are. I just stayed in a place in northern-facing mountains and it was quite chilly.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Platystemon posted:

They're a set of year round sunny islands thats a few hours flight from the 'mainland' of the country and they look like this. "Basically Hawaii" is very accurate.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Blut posted:

They're a set of year round sunny islands thats a few hours flight from the 'mainland' of the country and they look like this. "Basically Hawaii" is very accurate.

Also both are volcano islands. Quite active volcanos.

It must suck to live in a isle. Imagine job searching in a place that maybe only have one company that do the sort of job you are experienced.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tei posted:

Also both are volcano islands. Quite active volcanos.

It must suck to live in a isle. Imagine job searching in a place that maybe only have one company that do the sort of job you are experienced.

Yeah, actually living in Hawaii is pretty awful for a lot of people for reasons like those.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

I mean that colors basically everything involved in living somewhere.

Yeah man, can't imagine any other factors that would make California desirable compared to the cheapest states.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Imagine living in America and not just packing everything up and moving to the most ideal financial and/or political locale in the country whenever you feel like it.

It's not like you have to learn a new language or go through years of strenuous citizenship tests like all the hundreds of people who everyday move across national borders for a better life

There is no reason for anyone to ever live in Idaho.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 19, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
posts from the 1%

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The most ideal financial locale is for most people "where their existing support network already is."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Canary Islands are super dry.

That’s annual precipitation on Tenerife, the big island, and everything east of it is worse. Even La Palma doesn’t top Tenerife by much.

For comparison,

feller
Jul 5, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Imagine living in America and not just packing everything up and moving to the most ideal financial and/or political locale in the country whenever you feel like it.

It's not like you have to learn a new language or go through years of strenuous citizenship tests like all the hundreds of people who everyday move across national borders for a better life

:goonsay:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

islands fgucking suck but otoh thats how you avoid being part of the terror world. you can pretend to be a solo turd instead of a neighbor to the turd

so thats why i live on an islnd

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Islands are great but no man is one. Really makes you think

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Every continent is an island. #whoa #wow #parp

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Every continent is an island. #whoa #wow #parp

They don't have to be islands. Continents can also be peninsulas. :can:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
North and South America are both isthmuses.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

North and South America are both isthmuses.

So in this is Central America a continent?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

isthmoxen

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

as someone living in an amazing and cheap southern state, married to a foreigner, who just emptied my life savings to bring her family out of russia to not get conscripted, gently caress yourself

like seriously gently caress you. don't care if it's a joke or not.

the next time some goddam north european explains how other countries are so dumb and loving crazy i swear to god i'm going to have a stroke.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 20, 2022

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

moonmazed posted:

posts from the 1%

Ironically, a lot of 1%ers like resort towns including ones in and around Idaho and famously one in particular that is just across the border from Idaho.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is not how it works. This is not how anything works.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hawaii does have a whole homelessness issue unique from other states because if people hit hard times there, they're stuck there because it's expensive to get back to the continental US where there's more job opportunities and more options for cheaper housing. In real numbers it's not that much, but per capita, Hawaii ranks as #2. Although other dimensions to that is that Hawaii relies a lot more on industries that specifically worry about homelessness spoiling the scenery, and also on the continent, more states are able to "solve" their homelessness issues by either pushing them out to other states or by waiting for them to all die of exposure, neither of which are options in Hawaii.

A lot of people can pick up and move anywhere throughout the US, but if you don't have the money or in-demand skills, it can be very hard to set up somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Come to think of it, there's a lot of history with the US's other outlying territories working hard to send people to the mainland US. Puerto Rico's first elected governor instituted a program to train people to for emigration to the mainland United States to help alleviate overpopulation issues on their island. People still pour into the country through the Compact of Free Association. People from the Marshall islands have chosen Springdale, Arkansas of all places to latch onto as the place to emigrate to in order to escape local issues and find new opportunity. (There's a good Wendover video with a section about that. Wendover has a lot of videos about isolated places). Back in the day, part of the reason some people pushed against the US's imperial expansion was to stem the tide of new Americans emigrating to the mainland.

The Philippines had its own history sending a lot of people over to the US while it was under American dominion, but after the country finally got given its independence, there were more barriers in the way, so they eventually developed whole programs of sending people to places far and wide across the world for jobs.