Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Wasn't Kirk supposed to be fresh out of the Academy watching gas creatures suck the life out of his crewmates while serving on the Farragut around this time?

SNW takes place years after that would have happened

I don't see why seeing Kirk elsewhere is some big drama when the entire show is the crew of the Enterprise minus him already, and I can entirely do without the Abrams style "Kirk jumped from nothing to captain of the most famous ship in the fleet overnight" muck

They've so far nailed it with character recastings so my default position is positive until proven otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

McSpanky posted:

You could've started the post with "I'm not worth listening to" and saved everyone some time

what are you, 50?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Khanstant posted:

what are you, 50?

If age is the only path to wisdom then I'm loving 300

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd like to think that Picard has been avoiding Sisko on purpose for the last 20 years because he never got over how righteously loving pissed Sisko was at him in Emissary, Part I.

I still want the imaginary version of First Contact that had Sisko instead of (or in addition to) Worf.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Plotac 75 posted:

I still want the imaginary version of First Contact that had Sisko instead of (or in addition to) Worf.

And had the D instead of the E so losing the ship actually felt like something worth drama-bombing over.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

McSpanky posted:

If age is the only path to wisdom then I'm loving 300

people crap on Disco but it has twice as many seasons already and still isn't cancelled

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Khanstant posted:

people crap on Disco but it has twice as many seasons already and still isn't cancelled

Your sentence is structured as though you've made a point, but I cannot locate it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Think of how cool it would have been if any of the recent Trek had actual good writing to go along with the extremely baffling budgets.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You think Disco is cool, but

It'll never be this cool

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

McSpanky posted:

It'll never be this cool
Hrnghhh is this from TOS remastered?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Goddamn I wish the one on SNW looked like that.

e: This may be my favorite picture of any Enterprise ever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why are the nacelles attached??

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
whether you like it or not TOS is impressive for doing what it did in the time it was made with the resources availible, disco is notable for being an obvious sign of a culture in decline and a civilization's collective longing for the sweet embrace of death

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
even with genuine indifference towards TOS I can't think of any other fake ways to pretend to vaguely hint disco is better than tos

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
TOS led to great things and I have great respect for what it was trying to do, and I love many of the actors and characters, but it's a loving rough watch these days. About half of it is solid, albeit dated scifi, and the other half is just soaked in misogyny.

I was quite enjoying Disco for what it was until they hit the 'lol the evil genocidal cannibal is so quirky and fun' and it put me off.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

McSpanky posted:

It'll never be this cool

There she is, no bloody A, B, C, or D. Just an absolute beauty.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Eimi posted:

There she is, no bloody A, B, C, or D. Just an absolute beauty.

The Enterprise-OG

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Brawnfire posted:

"Jean-Luc, we were looking everywhere for you! You missed our leave at DS9!"

"Wouldn't you know it, I, er, was trapped in a turbolift shaft with several gifted children."

"Again?"

"...yes. Again. So sad I missed Quark's, ah well."

He forgot his saddle and had to go back for it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Hrnghhh is this from TOS remastered?

God I wish, TOS needs to be re-remastered

Just some fan render I found online a few years ago, source long forgotten but it's soooooo good

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

McSpanky posted:

God I wish, TOS needs to be re-remastered

Just some fan render I found online a few years ago, source long forgotten but it's soooooo good

I've just had a thought, and probably everyone else has already gotten there, but I wonder if Strange New Worlds is trying to be that re-remaster. But on a fundamental level, like, "wagon train to the stars was a good concept but TOS had some reeeaall rough bits. Let's smooth it out and see what might've happened if it had come out in the 21st century."

Oh Lord I'm gonna be so disappointed, aren't I.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

It should be possible soon to remaster TOS by creating new cgi for everything except the actors' faces, even the uniforms and ship interiors, so it's all consistent with the new shows.

I'm not saying it should be done, just that it should be possible.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Well I meant more like the problematic written-in-the-1960's parts, but now I have a whole new thing to be horrified about.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Winifred Madgers posted:

It should be possible soon to remaster TOS by creating new cgi for everything except the actors' faces, even the uniforms and ship interiors, so it's all consistent with the new shows.

You could do the actors' faces as well tbh.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like Discovery and I like the characters and the plots in general I just wish every character were not trauma dumping in almost every scene. Everybody is ecstatically happy and excited or incredibly sad and emotionally destroyed, with almost no in between.

It's like a Vulcan depiction of what they think humans are like

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'd be up for a 3D CGI The Animated Series

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Now THIS would be a great episode of Lower Decks

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

Why would you ruin beautifully perfect animation like that!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I like Discovery and I like the characters and the plots in general I just wish every character were not trauma dumping in almost every scene. Everybody is ecstatically happy and excited or incredibly sad and emotionally destroyed, with almost no in between.

The Disco series finale is Jonathan Frakes in Vulcan makeup turning off the holodeck simulation in the 41st century.

“This was our best reconstruction of the events surrounding the Discovery, extrapolating from our limited records and our knowledge of human impulsivity.”

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

V-Men posted:

Now THIS would be a great episode of Lower Decks

Hell yeah.

I want to see an episode of any Trek* have two old Vulcan Starfleet officers having a coffee and reminiscing about their times as science officers on human vessels and it's all wacky hijinks and pantomime levels of over emoting and violence.

* not Discovery

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I want all Vulcan stuff moving forward to play out with roughly the same tone and cadence as the Lower Decks Vulcan crew scene.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just do a sitcom with Tuvok in the lead and a wacky human neighbour or two. You can have the entire era show up as guest stars and break out a holodeck if you want to.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Brawnfire posted:

Paramount had a phase of taking it down whenever they found it, but Foundation Imaging (B5, Voyager, TMP:DE) did a test render of a CG Spock, using Joe Pesci's "do I amuse you?" rant from Goodfellas for dialogue and mocap (or mo-imitating). Considering it's over 20 years old and was probably done using an ancient version of Lightwave, it doesn't look too bad in motion.

I'm surprised Paramount hasn't done a CG version of TAS, as they could probably get fans to do the rendering grunt work on their own computers for free.

Edit: oh hey, turns out someone tried!
https://trekcentral.net/exclusive-the-cgi-remake-of-star-trek-the-animated-series/

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 17, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Let the Lower Decks guys reanimate TAS but keep the audio.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Monkey Paw finger curls, Old Michael and Old Spock spend an episode using trans-time-holos to reminisce in clipshow fashion of their respective hijinx with Picard and Kirk, with clips of them deepfaked into fan fav episodes of TNG and TOS.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Winifred Madgers posted:

If this happens I will join the Maquis

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

McSpanky posted:

If this happens I will join the Maquis

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Give it 20 years, and we’ll be able to download “TOS_ActorModels_16k.rar”, load the necessary patches in a speech synthesis plug-in, and we’ll be able to make our own Star Trek episodes that are indistinguishable from reality.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Will anyone even care about Star Trek in another 20 years?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tighclops posted:

Will anyone even care about Star Trek in another 20 years?

No but 5 years after that there will be another big Trek Revival

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Payndz posted:

Paramount had a phase of taking it down whenever they found it, but Foundation Imaging (B5, Voyager, TMP:DE) did a test render of a CG Spock, using Joe Pesci's "do I amuse you?" rant from Goodfellas for dialogue and mocap (or mo-imitating). Considering it's over 20 years old and was probably done using an ancient version of Lightwave, it doesn't look too bad in motion.

I'm surprised Paramount hasn't done a CG version of TAS, as they could probably get fans to do the rendering grunt work on their own computers for free.

Edit: oh hey, turns out someone tried!
https://trekcentral.net/exclusive-the-cgi-remake-of-star-trek-the-animated-series/
I'm pretty sure that Spock model was built for Secret of Vulcan Fury, that failed adventure game Interplay was trying to make in the late 1990s. It had a script written by Dorothy Fontana and reunited the entire TOS cast for the last time, but due to an overambitious design and Interplay's general collapse the game was eventually cancelled. People have asked for years if the cast recordings could be saved and turned into an animated movie or radio play or something, but given Interplay's abysmal attitude towards archiving it seems those recordings are lost to history.