Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

What type of micro SD card is recommended? I did order the 512 so maybe I don't need one? But I guess I might have a big game like Elden Ring on here while the biggest Switch games are like 14gb.

It really depends on what kind of games you intend on playing. There are loads of games that are in the 1-15 gb range, but there are also plenty that are in the 50-150gb range. Knowing myself, I managed to fill up a 200gb card on my switch and ended up getting a 1tb card, so I already ordered a 1tb card for my deck because I'm almost certainly going to fill it up after a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The Deck apparently does not make use of fast read speed cards. I don’t have the source handy where I found that info when I was shopping for them but I got a 512gb UHS-1 card from sandisk that works just fine.

Archonet
Mar 12, 2022

it is time to boogie

Soul Glo posted:

The Deck apparently does not make use of fast read speed cards. I don’t have the source handy where I found that info when I was shopping for them but I got a 512gb UHS-1 card from sandisk that works just fine.

If that's true, that seems like an incredibly odd choice if not outright counterintuitive. "Hey, let's add storage expansion but absolutely gimp the I/O speed"

Have you tried any intensive open-world titles running off the SD card yet?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

eonwe posted:

I don't have a Steam deck so take this with a grain of salt, but multiple people on reddit reported this and resolved it by using the recovery tool:

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/1B71-EDF2-EB6D-2BB3

Thank you this fixed it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Archonet posted:

If that's true, that seems like an incredibly odd choice if not outright counterintuitive. "Hey, let's add storage expansion but absolutely gimp the I/O speed"

It's UHS-1, right there in the tech specs. Discussed previously in this thread.

Did nobody understand what this thing was before buying it?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

pseudorandom name posted:

It's UHS-1, right there in the tech specs. Discussed previously in this thread.

Did nobody understand what this thing was before buying it?

I’m pretty sure it’s a handheld portable that can play Steam games but maybe I’m wrong. :thunk:

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
It's really not that big a deal to use an SD card - https://youtu.be/4AIY5wH77Po

there's a bunch of videos but storage read speed is not usually the bottleneck for loading deck games

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Remember when all those people were raving madly against anyone who dared claim that load times from the SD card would be fine. That was fun.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If there is anything you should learn from this thread is goons aren’t as knowledgeable about tech as they believe

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TwoDice posted:

It's really not that big a deal to use an SD card - https://youtu.be/4AIY5wH77Po

there's a bunch of videos but storage read speed is not usually the bottleneck for loading deck games

To be fair, measuring title screen load times is pretty meaningless since most loading is masked by the logos and poo poo, especially for games with zero 3D assets in the title screen like Elden Ring. It'd be much more useful to measure the time to load a save file or fast travel load times, but I'm not having any luck finding any recent videos about this.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Soul Glo posted:

This is what I was wondering by type. Size I can figure out but for speed I guess I want UHS-1? Any other specs I need to care about?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Archonet posted:

Yakuza 7 and Dark Souls 3 seem to load just fine and with acceptable wait times, but I’ve not tried GTA5 or something like that off of it.

KingKapalone posted:

This is what I was wondering by type. Size I can figure out but for speed I guess I want UHS-1? Any other specs I need to care about?

I can’t imagine so. Just make sure it’s a micro SDXC UHS-1 since paying for more won’t do anything for you? The 512gb one I got off Amazon was 30% off this past week.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

Yakuza 7 and Dark Souls 3 seem to load just fine and with acceptable wait times, but I’ve not tried GTA5 or something like that off of it.

I can’t imagine so. Just make sure it’s a micro SDXC UHS-1 since paying for more won’t do anything for you? The 512gb one I got off Amazon was 30% off this past week.

Which one? Is it still?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

Which one? Is it still?

Yep, this one here

The 1TB one is also 30ish% off, but I felt that was overkill

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Wow, demand in europe must be waaaaay lower, i reserved a 256 gb one a few days later and am still Q2 haha :agesilaus:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

The two (sometimes different) e-mail times don't necessarily line up with your actual order time. The most accurate way to find out when, exactly, the order was actually processed is to sign into Steam in a browser and view this link. Take the unix timestamp from rtreservetime and chuck it into this converter (unless you want to count the seconds since Jan 1 1970 yourself) and it will tell you, down to the second, when your order went through.

My order was processed 7 min 9 sec after the hour, as an example, and I'm Q1 for US 512GB. The order time in the email says 4 min after, despite actually taking another 3 minutes.

Looks like they are part-way through 6 min xx sec 512GB US orders as of today. About ~15 min after orders went live for 256GB models and ~17 min after orders went live for 64GB models. This is all US data and does not apply to any other regions.

Finally got a chance to do this and my time is

Your time zone: Friday, July 16, 2021 10:14:04 AM GMT-07:00 DST

So 14 min after they went live for a 512GB. If they keep a the same rate I'll have mine in about 7 weeks which is pretty firmly Q2.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

Yep, this one here

The 1TB one is also 30ish% off, but I felt that was overkill

Is this comparable? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-pro-plus-512gb-microsdxc-uhs-i-memory-card-with-adapter/6473932.p?skuId=6473932

I can get it discounted so it's cheaper than that Amazon one.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Yeah I would just get that one if it's cheaper for you

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man I shouldn't have checked this thread. I've been looking at deck videos since yesterday and I got hyped back up. It's looking like the steam deck is everything I want emulation-wise.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

DrManiac posted:

Man I shouldn't have checked this thread. I've been looking at deck videos since yesterday and I got hyped back up. It's looking like the steam deck is everything I want emulation-wise.

Getting the emulation set up is a little too much if you're not super tech inclined based on my own issues getting dolphin working so far. Much more work needed than i was expecting; at this point I'm more likely to wait until someone has made it almost plug and play to start emulating on it

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm a relative Linux newbie after bit messing with it since installing Ubuntu for a short time more than a decade ago, and installing flatpaks for snes9x and pcsx2 and getting them running was pretty painless

the biggest thing is installing them as non-steam games and switching back over to steamos to set a controller configuration where all your buttons are whatever keys on a keyboard so you can then get them set up in the emulator

when you do so, I recommend making sure you set the right touchpad as a mouse so you can get around whatever program's menus

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Can confirm the RMA process is pretty quick. once my broken one got to the distribution it only took about 9 days to get my replacement.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

DrManiac posted:

2 hours and 41 minutes after launch. My order still says Q2, but if we're only at 15 minutes for the 256GB it's going to be months.

I’m 256 exactly at 15 minutes into preorders and still Q2 fwiw

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
IGN Steam Deck Critical Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjVO1CVqu4Y

LTT Steam Deck Drawbacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1T_09b3Pqc

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mostly came to post that I just noticed what the thread icon was, but I'd be interested in reading bullet points of good-faith criticisms though it shan't affect my personal decision.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It’s louder than any other handheld. Probably bigger than any other handheld, and will break your girlish wrists.

Plz cancel preorders.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Okay, weird issue and probably something no one else has experienced, but here goes:

So I've been playing Metro : Last Light Redux on Geforce Now, streaming to a tablet or to my pc. The PC can handily run Metro, but I wanted to see how streaming to a smaller device would work out.
Now I have my Steam Deck, I wanted to see how it ran on that, only to discover that my cloud saves were not present on my Steam Deck. Thinking it was because it was installed on a Host computer for GFN, I downloaded it onto my PC to see if I could retrieve the cloud save. It immediately syncs the cloud save from GFN to my PC and I have my current saves. I then start it back up on the Deck, but the cloud saves aren't transferring over.
Does anyone have a fix for cloud saves, would appreciate it.

Also found that the Workshop items in XCOM 2 would not load, so I'll have to see if there is a workaround for that.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Isn't Metro a native title? In that case Steam would have separate depots for each platform. You could either force it to use Proton on the N-Gabe, or manually copy over the saves and hope the game was written by competent people.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Metro Exodus is native, Last Light is not. But I'll give that a shot. All my other games have their cloud saves.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Las Light Redux is native and it appears to store the Windows, Mac and Linux cloud saves separately.

PCGamingWiki notes that the cloud sync doesn't work across platforms but you can janitor your files from device to device manually and it'll work, which suggests this wasn't a deliberate decision due to save file incompatibility, just developer incompetency.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 17, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone using OneDrive or a similar cloud solution to sync up their curated ROM collection? How'd that work out for you?

Also, is there a dock that works for both the Steam Deck and Switch? I know the 1st party Nintendo one sure won't.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If the Steam Deck uses a USB-C for output I bet a Skull & Co. Dock would work.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
I use one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JK9DFKH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as a travel dock for my switch. Wonder if it would work for a deck as well. Wish I had a deck to test that with. Q2 is so far away!

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Heran Bago posted:

Anyone using OneDrive or a similar cloud solution to sync up their curated ROM collection? How'd that work out for you?

Also, is there a dock that works for both the Steam Deck and Switch? I know the 1st party Nintendo one sure won't.

I've been using syncthing for this and saves, it works pretty well (and is self hosted).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I was looking through a few games on sale and I'm kinda surprised that they haven't updated the UI with a "deck verified" tag like they have with controller support and the like.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If anyone was interested in a super in-depth review of the buttons and ergonomics check here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD3EmnCG0i8

Edit: oh and if you aren't familiar with this guy, when he says something is "mushy" he means it feels nice like a super nintendo controller.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 17, 2022

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Deck arrived today. It is huge and the thumbsticks feel a little slippery. In hand, it's more comfortable than I expected, but the weight increase over the switch is noticeable.

The case it comes with is pretty nice.

Still unsure whether to chuck it on eBay or stick with it. The deciding factor will be when I try Elden Ring on it later...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I got some cheapo thumbstick covers from Amazon which have solved the slippery problem.

Can’t use gyro aiming but no big loss imo.

I’m sure five people in a row will now post about how good gyro aiming is but I said IN MY OPINION, ok

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I've always hated it but I've seen people use it super effectively so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Lockback posted:

I've always hated it but I've seen people use it super effectively so :shrug:

I've never been satisfied with Gyro where it isn't natively implemented. Like it makes a lot of sense for it to be bound to an ADS hold/toggle but I never love it. But it's the best poo poo ever in Splatoon and Zelda so it can be a plus.

Great idea to make it toggleable via thumbstick covers. Good stuff Soul Glo.