Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wasabi the J posted:

Is every Asian in animation anime??

Ethnically anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

moonmazed posted:

people really cannot contain their racism about this movie

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Cowslips Warren posted:

Is it just me, or was there a lot more advertising for Encanto than Turning Red?

Turning Red is only being shown on Disney+ at the moment so it's not getting the theatrical advertising budget other Pixar movies usually has. Which is weird as I remember seeing a trailer for this movie in a theater too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Wasabi the J posted:

They dance in front of the CANADIAN FLAG taking up an ENTIRE WALL of the classroom.

And nearly every skyline has the CN tower.

Also the convenience store looked deadass like Kim's Convenience.

Daisy Mart is a convenience chain in Toronto.

I loved seeing Toronto repped so hard in the movie, it's so rare Canada is represented like that. Even the small stuff like the box of timbits for breakfast that the dad tries to take.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

Turning Red is only being shown on Disney+ at the moment so it's not getting the theatrical advertising budget other Pixar movies usually has. Which is weird as I remember seeing a trailer for this movie in a theater too.

The past three Pixar movies (Luca, Soul, Turning Red) were all on disney+ and not in theaters, iirc.

I mean it made sense with Onward because that was right at the start of the lockdowns. But the last Spiderman hit theaters first, just seems odd Disney didn't put Turning Red into theaters too.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I saw Soul in the theater.

I completely missed Luca & Onward, and only just saw Encanto at home.

I think I may have aged out of Disney/Pixar movies. :(

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I saw Soul in the theater.

I completely missed Luca & Onward, and only just saw Encanto at home.

I think I may have aged out of Disney/Pixar movies. :(

The last social event my family did before the lockdowns began was taking 5 of N+1th Doctor's friends to a brunch and showing of Onward for their birthday. Onward has been very poignant to me to the point I didn't realize it wasn't a popular Pixar film.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

oldpainless posted:

I was told Turning Red is a metaphor for puberty and that’s why so many people were mad.

I haven’t seen it though.
Me either but I've seen a still where a mother or mother figure is carrying a comedic stack of like, tylenol, pads, tampons, so yeah probably.

Some level of "this is a movie for kids, why is it talking about puberty!?" when like ... what age do you think people are when they go through puberty?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was supposed to be a theatrical release but Disney moved it over to streaming.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

muscles like this! posted:

It was supposed to be a theatrical release but Disney moved it over to streaming.

Were they like

Ahhh poo poo this is too anime for cinemas!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It's illegal to talk about periods in movie theatres.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Fundie parents like to gatekeep really arbitrary poo poo from their kids and get super mad when their children get exposed to things before the parent can say they're not allowed.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
My IIMM about Turning Red is that early in the movie, we were wondering where it was supposed to take place. I assumed San Francisco because it was a somewhat hilly city, there was a trolley, and signs for Chinatown. Then I saw a store awning with a phone number on it, and I googled the area code and sure enough, San Francisco. Then in like the very next scene the movie explains that it is set in Toronto, and starts showing Canadian flags. I was very confused.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Haven't seen Turning Red yet, but someone told me to google the working titles and I got a good laugh out of those. TVTropes, but that's where google took me.

TVTropes posted:

According to the "Making Of" video, the film had various developmental names, some of the pun-based title variety. Such examples include: Notorious RPG (Red Panda Girl), My Neighbor Toronto, PMS (Panda Mayhem Syndrome), Girl In Red, Panda Prime, Anything But Red, Big Deal, and Fei-Fei/Fei Li and A Panda.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Haven't seen Turning Red yet, but someone told me to google the working titles and I got a good laugh out of those. TVTropes, but that's where google took me.

PMS would have been amazing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sobatchja Morda posted:

My Neighbor Toronto

:lmao:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Huh I should check out Turning Red if it is a metaphor for puberty.

Now that I think about it, Turning Red is going to be Pixar's version of Tern Wolf, isn't it? Like how A Bug's Life ripped off Seven Samurai and Cars ripped off Doc Hollywood?

This is 100% pure speculation on something I haven't seen yet.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

An adolescent sea bird that turned into a werewolf would be a great film.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

My IIMM about Turning Red is that early in the movie, we were wondering where it was supposed to take place. I assumed San Francisco because it was a somewhat hilly city, there was a trolley, and signs for Chinatown. Then I saw a store awning with a phone number on it, and I googled the area code and sure enough, San Francisco. Then in like the very next scene the movie explains that it is set in Toronto, and starts showing Canadian flags. I was very confused.

That's a TTC trolley, all over the place in TO. And are you sure you saw a SF area code? Because one code in SF is 415, and one in Toronto is 416.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Rascar Capac posted:

An adolescent sea bird that turned into a werewolf would be a great film.

My new irrational irritation is that there's never been a werewolf movie revolving around an outbreak of lycanthropy in a zoo. Show me an elephant turning into a werewolf and tearing poo poo up.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Crowetron posted:

My new irrational irritation is that there's never been a werewolf movie revolving around an outbreak of lycanthropy in a zoo. Show me an elephant turning into a werewolf and tearing poo poo up.

Okay so this is making me think harder about werewolves than I ever have in the past. Does lycanthropy make the wolf form of whatever is afflicted by it retain characteristics of the host, and that's why people werewolves are generally bipedal, or is that just the default form of a werewolf? Cause, like, imagine a quadruped werewolf with an elephant trunk.

edit: a werewolf giraffe with just a really fuckin' long neck

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The zoom in on the wide eyed gaping mouth reaction shot to the monster/explosion/CGI effect.

In other words: basically Millie Bobbie Brown's entire performance in Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

liquidypoo posted:

Okay so this is making me think harder about werewolves than I ever have in the past. Does lycanthropy make the wolf form of whatever is afflicted by it retain characteristics of the host, and that's why people werewolves are generally bipedal, or is that just the default form of a werewolf? Cause, like, imagine a quadruped werewolf with an elephant trunk.

A werewolf gets into the regular wolf pen and they all just turn into Cerberuses.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Many of these questions were answered by the documentary series The Magicians.

Veterinarian: “Uh, I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but….your goldfish is a werewolf. And…hey, wait, you’re a werewolf too. Did…did you gently caress the goldfish?”

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

flavor.flv posted:

Also, they live in Markham

I thought that either they said in the movie or a review I read before watching that it was in "Toronto's Chinatown"

I wouldn't be surprised if there were enough details in the landscape that you could solidly identify it as one or the other. IIRC quickest way to check if it's Markham or not is, are the street signs blue or green? I don't remember what they were in the movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Werelephant?

Also the analogy goes oddly well with Teen Wolf being more about being black than most 80s movies about being black.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Coincidentally, I made a tiny anthology with this name a few years ago.

I've sold more copies this week then all last year.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Squidster posted:

Coincidentally, I made a tiny anthology with this name a few years ago.

I've sold more copies this week then all last year.

Oh man I saw the preview pages and I've only ever visited Toronto but even so I immediately recognized Honest Ed's, wild to see that place in a comic.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
We made the comic just before it was torn down! It was a strange thing walking through, taking reference photos of its nearly picked-clean corpse. :ssh: The comics in that book are all free over at http://www.cardboardshark.com .

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

Oh man I saw the preview pages and I've only ever visited Toronto but even so I immediately recognized Honest Ed's, wild to see that place in a comic.

That's a plot point in one of the Scott pilgrim books

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I've been watching the Highlander TV series from the 90's and one thing about the whole Highlander deal is bothering me. I get that they can't fight on holy ground, sure. That was established in the movie and it's also a useful narrative device so your hero and your villain can have actual scenes together. I'm not gonna question that. But the immortals can't teleport. When one guy walks out of the church, the other guy could just like follow him out the parking lot and force a sword fight there. It makes sense for MacLeod to always be doing the honorable thing and letting the bad guy leave so they don't endanger any bystanders, but eventually one of the bad immortals has gotta try that move, right?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Crowetron posted:

I've been watching the Highlander TV series from the 90's and one thing about the whole Highlander deal is bothering me. I get that they can't fight on holy ground, sure. That was established in the movie and it's also a useful narrative device so your hero and your villain can have actual scenes together. I'm not gonna question that. But the immortals can't teleport. When one guy walks out of the church, the other guy could just like follow him out the parking lot and force a sword fight there. It makes sense for MacLeod to always be doing the honorable thing and letting the bad guy leave so they don't endanger any bystanders, but eventually one of the bad immortals has gotta try that move, right?

If you force a swordfight in the parking lot he just goes back inside and then you're back at the start

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Tunicate posted:

If you force a swordfight in the parking lot he just goes back inside and then you're back at the start

Sounds like the perfect set-up for a bottle episode to me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Len posted:

That's a plot point in one of the Scott pilgrim books

I miss the place, it always had wild poo poo for sale

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Crowetron posted:

Sounds like the perfect set-up for a bottle episode to me.

There was one, it was about an immortal who had lived in a church for hundreds of years because he didn't want anything to do with all that highlander bullshit

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

flavor.flv posted:

There was one, it was about an immortal who had lived in a church for hundreds of years because he didn't want anything to do with all that highlander bullshit

Oh yeah, that was how the show moved to Paris. That character is part of why I was thinking about this though, since there a several episodes after that where MacLeod is hanging out his thousand year old monk buddy and then the bad guy immortal of the week rolls up to taunt them. Seems like one of those villains could just chill out in a pew until Mac gets bored and agrees to just go fight 'em.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

liquidypoo posted:

The were in werewolf means man, so a werewolf is a manwolf, lycanthropy likewise is a portmanteau of lycus, meaning wolf, and anthro, meaning man.

So presumably if other animals became a werewolf or contracted lycanthropy they would also turn into wolf-men. And an were-elephant would be a man who turns into an elephant, an elephantwolf would have lychydermy or something.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Darius. He was an awesome character but the actor who played him had some form of cancer and didn't live much longer than when his episodes aired :(

The holy ground thing was mentioned in either the show or a movie, where the last record of a fight happening on it was Vesuvius, so no one is really wanting to test the theory that holy ground only extends so far.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

There.

There elephant.

There castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Uh, hello?! Werewolf elephants were totally a thing already.

But then cavemen started making their spearheads out of silver.