Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
That’s a nice story but has no relation to how the hack actually went down, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

ynohtna posted:

C'mon, be reasonable.

What are the chances of two (2!) function parameters on a publicly accessible API both being invalid simultaneously? It's got to be like millions to one if not more, right?

no

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

is Solana one of the ones that has an actual development team beyond whoever was cheapest on Fiverr

Solana is the one where people hyped it up as decentralized, but then realized that it's the opposite. Only thing I really like about it is the cheap gas fees compared to other mainsteam coins.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

no_tears posted:

Solana is the one where people hyped it up as decentralized, but then realized that it's the opposite. Only thing I really like about it is the cheap gas fees compared to other mainsteam coins.

This is like describing how you prefer stepping in dog poo poo over stepping in cat poo poo.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
What if someone intentionally caused both parameters to be invalid though?

Psh, as if someone would jeopardize their personal reputation by being a bad actor on this anonymous consequence-free online platform.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

El Spamo posted:

What if someone intentionally caused both parameters to be invalid though?

Psh, as if someone would jeopardize their personal reputation by being a bad actor on this anonymous consequence-free online platform.

What do you mean consequence free? You'll get the "Scammer" or "Bad Actor" tag, and that solves it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

That’s a nice story but has no relation to how the hack actually went down, unfortunately.

It's close enough for most folks to understand though, and while it's not accurate to the code it's accurate to the state of affairs. The idea of being able to provide your own validator is a bit too deep code practice for most folks to really comprehend.

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This is like describing how you prefer stepping in dog poo poo over stepping in cat poo poo.

Don’t mock me for my poo poo fetish. I can’t help myself but buy shitcoins for the sake of being able to hodl a bag of poo poo

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Mozi posted:

They thought that story was better than explaining what actually happened

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

syntaxfunction posted:

What do you mean consequence free? You'll get the "Scammer" or "Bad Actor" tag, and that solves it.

If you collect enough "Scammer" and "Bad Actor" tags you get to force a fork! How exciting :allears:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I haven't had time to read this thread for like 50 pages, though I'm sure crypto shenanigans and cryptobros are just as rife and stupid as they were a few weeks ago.

Tell me, what does the current thread title, "Bitcoin: In conclusion a hippo covered in poo poo" refer to? A thread search didn't enlighten me (I'm skeptical about the claim that forums search has been 'fixed').

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I think its referring to a hippo nft where the hippo literally looked like it ate a messy poo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Somfin posted:

It's close enough for most folks to understand though, and while it's not accurate to the code it's accurate to the state of affairs. The idea of being able to provide your own validator is a bit too deep code practice for most folks to really comprehend.

It's pretty simple. Their policy is basically:

:awesomelon:"You can only transfer the funds if you have a certificate saying you're legit."

:smugjones: "Any kind of certificate?"

:awesomelon:"As long as it says you're legit, yes."

:smugjones:*scribbles 'LEGIT' on a napkin in crayon*

:awesomelon:"That certainly is 'a certificate'. Go ahead."

:smuggo:

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

BigBadSteve posted:

I haven't had time to read this thread for like 50 pages, though I'm sure crypto shenanigans and cryptobros are just as rife and stupid as they were a few weeks ago.

Tell me, what does the current thread title, "Bitcoin: In conclusion a hippo covered in poo poo" refer to? A thread search didn't enlighten me (I'm skeptical about the claim that forums search has been 'fixed').

sporklift posted:

Crypto hippos showed up in my twitter feed. Seems like some real bargain basement crypto poo poo.

https://cryptohipponft.com/

Why is the image on the website so blurry? It gives me a headache to look at.

What the gently caress are they talking about? All of the whitepaper reads like a college freshman's midterm powerpoint report that they wrote the night before it was due. Headache intensify.

Now I have a migraine.

In conclusion a hippo covered in poo poo.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't hate the designs of the BAYC, but god drat its immitators are so much worse

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

The Kins posted:

In videogame news, a studio that managed to break out of Licensed Mobile Game Hell with a Power Rangers fighting game that was better than a Power Rangers game in Anno Domini 2019 had any right to be is coming to the scam party fashionably late and making very few friends in the process.

https://twitter.com/nWayGames/status/1504239839905935361

hmm.. which one is the actual ApeCoin helpdesk twitter? Might as well give them both my account info, just to be safe.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Star Man posted:

I don't hate the designs of the BAYC, but god drat its immitators are so much worse
If NFTs didn't exist and you saw BAYC images you'd think "yep this looks like an AI generated pile of crap", guaranteed. It only has [i]any[/i[ value because there are enough spongebrains around believing in its value, and a concerted campaign to rope in feckless celebrities to sustain it. That part of it is at least impressive - getting the likes of Paris Hilton and Jimmy Fallon to shill the crap on TV.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
If anyone is interested in getting Lambo rich, a guy I went to high school with who's facebook posts are nothing but talking about how shrooms are magic, and talking up anime themed memecoins, has got a hell of an opportunity for you.

Anyone over here on the FB side of things interested in NFTs? I've got the twitterverse covered and I just don't want to leave anyone out. My crypto team (Enhance Token) has new apes coming out April 1st , giving away 5 teslas throughout and a Lambo at the end. Much more to be given away... roadmap in the comments, dm if interested. Below is ONE example of an ape. There are 10,000 total
#enhancetoken
#enhancedapes
#NFTs
#apes

That's the direct image, the lossiness is part of its artistic creativity.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

acidx posted:

the hot new nft: the 'magic selection' tool in a cracked copy of photoshop

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

The Australian consumer watchdog ACCC is taking Meta (Facebook's owners) to court over scam "celebrity endorsed" crypto ads that Meta apparently do little or nothing to vet. They have repeatedly ignored complaints from actual celebrities spoofed in the scam ads, and just kept happily raking in the advertisement fees.
https://www.theage.com.au/business/consumer-affairs/accc-takes-facebook-owner-to-court-over-fake-cryptocurrency-ads-20220318-p5a5tx.html

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 18, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Durzel posted:

If NFTs didn't exist and you saw BAYC images you'd think "yep this looks like an AI generated pile of crap", guaranteed. It only has [i]any[/i[ value because there are enough spongebrains around believing in its value, and a concerted campaign to rope in feckless celebrities to sustain it. That part of it is at least impressive - getting the likes of Paris Hilton and Jimmy Fallon to shill the crap on TV.

There is a difference between ascribing value to something and thinking some of them look amusing. I've seen a few that look vaguely amusing to me, but I'd never in a million years pay money for them...or right click to save even.
They're still ugly and dumb.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Durzel posted:

There was like a five year stretch here where SA was absolutely overrun with idiots posting 'haha look at the nonsense this AI spit out', the apes are awful but also there's clearly a big fad for hideous randomly generated art that goons just picked up and got tired of early

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Being so ugly and pointless that no one actually wants to steal them is possibly accidentally a core part of the grift, because they become associated specifically with NFT-bros rather than anyone who actually understands or appreciates anything about art.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It doesn't even fully cover the ape skin at the bottom lol

Truly some Passionate Photoshop Person

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

they're just garbage pail kids for nostalgic stem nerds and they look like poo poo because that same demographic tends to be incredibly mad that anyone values any aesthetic quality other than nostalgia factor

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

acidx posted:

If anyone is interested in getting Lambo rich, a guy I went to high school with who's facebook posts are nothing but talking about how shrooms are magic, and talking up anime themed memecoins, has got a hell of an opportunity for you.

Anyone over here on the FB side of things interested in NFTs? I've got the twitterverse covered and I just don't want to leave anyone out. My crypto team (Enhance Token) has new apes coming out April 1st , giving away 5 teslas throughout and a Lambo at the end. Much more to be given away... roadmap in the comments, dm if interested. Below is ONE example of an ape. There are 10,000 total
#enhancetoken
#enhancedapes
#NFTs
#apes

For every 1000 NFTs sold, they'll give away $75,000 worth of stuff and buy $100,000 worth of mining gear and channel 12% of the profits back into financial shuffles that will supposedly raise the price of the underlying token? Those must be some expensive apes (or they're lying).

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

There was an article on my news page today about cryptographic keys being easily crackable if the prime numbers used to generate them were too close together. Their example was some old printers, so I'd like to think that cryptocurrencies are sufficiently "modern" enough in their cryptography that they wouldn't be vulnerable to this problem. However, we all know the bitcoin motto, so maybe?

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/03/researcher-uses-600-year-old-algorithm-to-crack-crypto-keys-found-in-the-wild/

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Being so ugly and pointless that no one actually wants to steal them is possibly accidentally a core part of the grift, because they become associated specifically with NFT-bros rather than anyone who actually understands or appreciates anything about art.

this is exactly correct and a good point of the Dan Olson video, it’s inconvenient fashion in digital avatar form. BAYC and similar are meant to be ugly and expensive status symbols that are explicitly Veblen goods

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Durzel posted:

I think the first handful of them I saw, I just assumed it was from a line of t-shirts or a mascot for a band. I found out they were images created for NFTs later.

I still don't really hate them as artwork. I think the knockoffs are ugly.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

acidx posted:

#enhancetoken
#enhancedapes
#NFTs
#apes

this looks like such a lazy and by-the-template nft project that I assume they will still make a few thousand bucks from rubes who buy a few apes each

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Why even bother making an nft for these scams though? Couldn’t you just have a “mint” button that spits out random numbers or whatever and just take the money and run? Would anyone notice?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

For every 1000 NFTs sold, they'll give away $75,000 worth of stuff and buy $100,000 worth of mining gear and channel 12% of the profits back into financial shuffles that will supposedly raise the price of the underlying token? Those must be some expensive apes (or they're lying).

I think this is the project: https://opensea.io/collection/enhanced-apes

Total volume traded: 0.00

"We're giving away a Tesla!" is basically just NFT_template.txt these days. No Tesla(s) will be given away. But, if somehow they are, it will certainly be a grift like the "lucky winner" happening to be a project founder, insider or some other associate.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Gutcruncher posted:

Why even bother making an nft for these scams though? Couldn’t you just have a “mint” button that spits out random numbers or whatever and just take the money and run? Would anyone notice?

I'm about 70% sure they're just taking off the shelf libraries, changing a few variables so that it's "unique," paying someone on Fiverr for a few lovely infographics, and Bob's your uncle.

That is to say it's still pretty low effort bullshit.

Also there are definitely ways to mint actual NFTs for free/low cost too.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the whole point of nfts is you can't mint them for free. if you wanted to try to start your own goldbrick scam without paying someone else a fee for the privilege you'd just start pitching literally anything other than an NFT

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Hello Sailor posted:

There was an article on my news page today about cryptographic keys being easily crackable if the prime numbers used to generate them were too close together. Their example was some old printers, so I'd like to think that cryptocurrencies are sufficiently "modern" enough in their cryptography that they wouldn't be vulnerable to this problem. However, we all know the bitcoin motto, so maybe?

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/03/researcher-uses-600-year-old-algorithm-to-crack-crypto-keys-found-in-the-wild/

as far as I know every single cryptocurrency uses elliptic curves, not RSA, so none of them will ble vulnerable to that flaw

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

part of the appeal (??) is that the NFTs will be so much more valuable to trade down the roadmap that they can get all the benefits of the project AND sell their NFT to latecomers for pure profit

and since the buyer pays the minting fees its extremely low cost to make these projects

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

sporklift posted:

Crypto hippos showed up in my twitter feed. Seems like some real bargain basement crypto poo poo.

Just to pick one thing,

there is no possible way this could go wrong

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

https://kotaku.com/pepe-frog-nft-lawsuit-sue-dao-matt-furie-halston-thayer-1848663957

:allears:
NFT's are really the second dumbest thing, the dumbest being the investors.

The whole point of NFTs is that you can make a distinction between originals and copies of a digital good. Copies being made not leading to a devaluation of the original is the one single thing they were meant to accomplish. My mind is kinda blown. Somehow, this manages to make NFTs look even worse to my eyes that they already were. Completely irredeemable.

His case is basically: NFT art is fundamentally useless on a conceptual basis. Obviously, he's right, but I can't help but wonder how NFT pundits will try to square that circle.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 18, 2022

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the whole point of nfts is you can't mint them for free. if you wanted to try to start your own goldbrick scam without paying someone else a fee for the privilege you'd just start pitching literally anything other than an NFT

You can though.

https://coinmarketcap.com/alexandria/article/how-to-mint-an-nft-for-free-broke-people-edition