Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

PoE seems fine, wouldn’t worry about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
As one wise man said, tencent is hands off.
They are just investing in IPs they would like to release in china.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Erulisse posted:

An official Chinese release potentially sucks for people playing in China who aren’t Chinese (vanishingly small number of people as that may be), since you might need a Chinese national ID to sign up and other versions will probably be inaccessible without a VPN.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Patch notes

https://twitter.com/LastEpoch/status/1504548124429217792

Murder Noveau
Jul 25, 2007
Maybe death is a gift.

Elentor posted:

I went with Sentinel Paladin in this game hoping I'd be immortal and man it did not disappoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bastbOEzHnY

This looks super interesting to try! Is there anything specific to get this up and running?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Erulisse posted:

Way too many skeletons in this game for that!!!!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Murder Noveau posted:

This looks super interesting to try! Is there anything specific to get this up and running?

The main thing that kept me alive was the passive to keep the shield effects ongoing for a few seconds after it expired. That was just my first go at the game with a Sentinel using those skills, it's not really a build as much as it is just me doing improv.

But as a general rule of thumb for literally every game I played, it's typically a bad idea to copy my builds.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I’m level 11 and I’m a whirlwind paladin that sets everything on fire as I whirlwind. Kinda rules. Game good.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This game cribbed all of the things D3 did really well. Namely, giving you badass abilities that feel really strong right out of the game

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If you're thinking about playing this for the new stuff the patch introduced: don't. The Arena of Champions is the Arena with a boss that shows up every so often, and the new Dungeons require keys, which the devs apparently hosed up and aren't dropping. I tried for 3 hours to get a single key today and didn't get any except Arena keys from guaranteed Monolith nodes.

In fact their whole "grind content you don't want to do to get a key that you may possibly want" really sucks rear end and it's the first big misstep I've seen them make. Feeling real lovely about this patch right now.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm almost positive I found a Soulfire Bastion key while playing a little bit, today...

Of course now I'm having more computer problems and can't go verify that

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you're thinking about playing this for the new stuff the patch introduced: don't. The Arena of Champions is the Arena with a boss that shows up every so often, and the new Dungeons require keys, which the devs apparently hosed up and aren't dropping. I tried for 3 hours to get a single key today and didn't get any except Arena keys from guaranteed Monolith nodes.

In fact their whole "grind content you don't want to do to get a key that you may possibly want" really sucks rear end and it's the first big misstep I've seen them make. Feeling real lovely about this patch right now.

I would imagine the intention is you collect keys playing through the campaign first normally, then use them on subsequent characters as skips. The drop rate may be too low in practice for that to work out. I’m skipping this patch anyway because of Elden Ring, but I imagine that almost all dev energy is focused on multiplayer right now, so this and perhaps the next patch won’t have much exciting stuff in them.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Seems like the patch this morning fixed something with key droprates, among other things:
https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/beta-0-8-5b-patch-notes/48280

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
How finished is the game as a whole? Like can I finish a story difficulty and start again on a harder difficulty ala Diablo in this? Or is there a point where you get to and it just stops.

I think I played this a long time ago and refunded it, but I can't remember if it was this or Wolcen.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Givin posted:

How finished is the game as a whole? Like can I finish a story difficulty and start again on a harder difficulty ala Diablo in this? Or is there a point where you get to and it just stops.

I think I played this a long time ago and refunded it, but I can't remember if it was this or Wolcen.

So far I’m enjoying it and plodding along. I haven’t hit endgame yet though.

My only real complaint is the skill system resetting your points if you want to respec. Give me a currency drop to respec with, or gold cost, or anything but just requiring me to grind the skill back up. Or at the very least, set a point at which you gain exp toward bringing that minimum level up to max eventually.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Givin posted:

It's more like PoE where the story ends and you enter into endgame stuff. The story isn't finished yet. The endgame stuff is like PoE maps without the grind for maps, where the difficulty increases the further you progress.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't think it'll ever be D2esque, "Beat the game 3 times to get to the end game" and I hope there never will be anything like that.

Story does end then you have the spammable "maps"

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
It definitely won't require looping the story multiple times.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Put another hour into this yesterday instead of playing GOTD Elden Ring, and still got no Dungeon Keys despite running the arena a half dozen times.

Welp, see you next patch when hopefully I can actually experience the content of this patch!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Put another hour into this yesterday instead of playing GOTD Elden Ring, and still got no Dungeon Keys despite running the arena a half dozen times.

Welp, see you next patch when hopefully I can actually experience the content of this patch!

I also played like an hour and got 2x soulfire bastion keys and 1x temporal sanctum. Ran soulfire at t1 (lvl45) and it was neat. Swapping immunities is a cool mechanic and the gambler gave me exalted items on 4/6 pulls.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Saxophone posted:

So far I’m enjoying it and plodding along. I haven’t hit endgame yet though.

My only real complaint is the skill system resetting your points if you want to respec. Give me a currency drop to respec with, or gold cost, or anything but just requiring me to grind the skill back up. Or at the very least, set a point at which you gain exp toward bringing that minimum level up to max eventually.

This already happens - as your character levels up it sets minimum points for your skills to reset to, and they also get enhanced experience to catch up to your other skills. :)

https://www.lastepochtools.com/guide/section/skill_specialization

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Respeccing in this game doesn't bother me too much, but it bothers me more that it doesn't bother me, lol.

Like, if what speccing to be a *vomit* "meaningful choice", then it has to be painful-ish (or impossible) to change. If you don't want it to be a big burden, then allow open respeccing in towns or whatever.

This brand of "a little annoying but not really a big deal" just feels like it serves no actual design goal or choice. Like it's something the team was split on and argued about, and ended up with this compromise that's just pointless.

I've never gotten the fascination with "tough to respec". I've done nothing but enjoy a game more when I can try new ideas and builds out easily. Just feels like one of those archaic design things that some people still latch on to because they're just used to it. Probably partly because D2 wasn't part of my growing up. When i did play it after it had been out a year or two, I enjoyed it and beat it on the first difficulty, saw "now beat it again but harder" and was very much "Nope, done." with it. And then went back to CS 1.6 on the dorm's network :D.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think that if you respec the skill you got rid of should stay at whatever rank it was, so at least you don't have to level it up again if you end up not liking the new one and want to switch back.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

the era of redoing the storyline multiple times in an action RPG is over now. None of the newer games do that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

xZAOx posted:

This brand of "a little annoying but not really a big deal" just feels like it serves no actual design goal or choice. Like it's something the team was split on and argued about, and ended up with this compromise that's just pointless.

For me, I like the vague semblance of permanence. I know Diablelikes aren't RPGs in the Dungeons & Dragons sense, but I like the sense of "building a character".

In a game like Diablo 3 where you can just swap any ability, any ability rune on the fly, and everything being tied to your Weapon DPS, the game just feels much more superficial. It removes that sense of, "Oh man, remember that %lovely build% I made? It was so bad but it was so fun" and it turns the game more into, in my opinion, into a very video gamey, chasing-the-meta kind of experience. Nothing matters when anyone can just go play any build immediately at any time. Everything seems like more of an illusion of choice when there is zero investment to experiment?

I've had more fun in this game leveling 3 Primalists to try out the different subclasses than just freely rotating any & all skills on my Barbarian's hotbar in D3.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I've been having fun with this game. Upgrading skills is neat but I absolutely loath pet itemization being silo'd into is own thing. Means your pet builds have to go all in and aren't very diverse. They should copy d3 pet itemization instead so I can mix different skills.

The massive amounts of aoe also means pets don't keep you very safe. I'm enjoying spellblade (lvl 50) significantly more than necromancer (lvl 59).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

No offense but you're either not building/positioning your Necro right or playing Lich without enough damage mitigation if your minions aren't keeping you safe. Necros are one of the premiere Hardcore classes.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

No offense but you're either not building/positioning your Necro right or playing Lich without enough damage mitigation if your minions aren't keeping you safe. Necros are one of the premiere Hardcore classes.

I've been dealing with a ton of aoe lines while walking down narrow corridors, not sure how I could position better. If I fell into a building trap it is stacking minion stats at the expense of my own but if I don't do that my minions will just fall apart and not deal much damage.

That and the pet AI leaves minion builds feeling worse than D3 or PoE, despite how cool it is that you can customize your skeleton army.

edit:

Turns out I was one or two rooms from the end of the campaign. My skeleton army was able to solo the snake god while I lay crumpled on the floor but despite qualifying for loot it wouldn't progress the story. Reforging some gear to have better resists and spamming potions allowed me to beat her.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 2, 2022

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
If you hit the A key, your pets will go to your cursor. Helps a lot, and I don't remember the game telling me that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

skeletronics posted:

If you hit the A key, your pets will go to your cursor. Helps a lot, and I don't remember the game telling me that.

If you hold Alt while mousing over any pet skill, I'm fairly sure all of them do tell you you can Press A to Attack.

But yea they could make it a little more obvious somehow.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You can also rebind it - I have it on Mouse Button 5, for example.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Multiplayer testing: https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/closed-multiplayer-testing-begins-development-update/48809

Also I got to write the part about performance :dance:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I have so many friends waiting to pick this game up when multiplayer is added, it's going to be such a huge deal.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Elentor posted:

Multiplayer testing: https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/closed-multiplayer-testing-begins-development-update/48809

Also I got to write the part about performance :dance:

omg finally, the long delays and wait will be worth it though.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

As someone who doesn’t care about multiplayer at all and will almost certainly never use it, very long delays and huge amounts of dev energy devoted to something I actively dislike drives me nuts. I guess the advantage is that it’s likely to attract more players and allow for a higher budget and more features I might actually enjoy in the long run. I’m glad other people are excited, at least. Still, the last patch felt lackluster in terms of exciting changes and the next isn’t likely till September. I might just switch back to Grim Dawn to scratch my ARPG itch. I’ve played it to death already, but it’s had several very substantial patches since the last time I started it up.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a catch-22 - while browsing I read someone asking the opposite question, questioning *why* are we working on literally anything that isn't MP, wrt some unique items released or updated recently. Ultimately, there's a set of features the game needs to get out of EA and MP is one that both the players and the devs really want and have been working extremely hard to get it out.

With that said, due to the way gamedev works intrinsically, that can't be 100% of the focus of the entire team because not all of the team is multiplayer developers. The people focused on content creation have a solid pipeline going on; The other devs that along with me are doing performance R&D touch multiplayer only insofar as we need to make sure our techniques are compatible with MP, otherwise we're doing our own thing. The artists making concept arts for new tiers and new uniques did not halt because the multiplayer effort is not something related to their area. Production goes on, just with different priorities.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I can only speak for myself, but I've certainly been waiting for MP to come out before giving this game a try. I usually only play games like this with my brother. I'm only following this thread to see when it happens.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Bumping this to say I really enjoy the game after trying it out last week. Excited about MP and the upcoming 1.0 version

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Same. I picked it up since it's on sale, and I've been enjoying it a lot. I blasted through the campaign on a Meteor Sorcerer, and the endgame is pretty good, but I just want to try every class and every skill.

Speaking of the sale, if anyone is on the fence, they said this is likely the last time it'll be on sale until well after release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Bumping this because one of the PoE thread regulars who works as a tech artist at EHG had some stuff to say that might be of interest to those of you who don't read that thread:

Elentor posted:

I am. I recently got a very very nice promotion, too. EHG has been by far the best company I've worked at, and bar none the healthiest gamedev environment I've been part of. The gap between ehg and whatever would be second place in my resume is so large I can't even bother making the comparison.

I'm working very hard towards improving the performance, co-managing the mtx store and the performance group. Also, our mtx store will be 100% cosmetic, no in game advantages even as tame as tabs. Not to dis on Poe, we just want them to be completely optional.

(...)

I'm not gonna lie, as far as the performance issues of the game go, there's a big battle ahead of us. While I'm not responsible for anything that slowed down the game, I am responsible for fixing it, so if anyone knows of anything game breaking or PC melting in particular feel free to dm me. The scene I fixed first was told me about it's slowness by a goon; ruins of welryn, is sitting on a peak 150% performance increase, from 60 to 150 fps now.

Elentor posted:

Not sure what you mean but I'm not involved with Mp. Ever since I joined in Mar the teams priority has been multiplayer and a lot of people were hired for that purpose. Me as a techart and the performance team i put together is an exception but only I don't deal with Mp directly.

I wish I could tell more without breaking nda but we've had multiple waves of tests for f n f, then alpha, and at some point in the future beta. Multiplayer tests occur very frequently almost on a daily and some of our testers are big names and netcode developers with experience in, let's say, games of the same genre we both happen to enjoy. Like I said we have a very good relation with GGG also.

Anyone not working on mp right now isn't because it's outside the scope of their skills or field and that's been the case for as long as I am in the company.Grtting multiplayer right isn't easy and there's s lot of effort on netcode, bug fixes, bandwidth, anti hack measures. I don't know when it will be ready but there's no lack of resources and effort put into it.