Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Bring back Short Treks :argh:

Also put the Borg out to pasture and never touch them again. Star Trek has lost their right to make Borg stories :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
They should do a starfleet academy game with the same level of detail as that upcoming Harry Potter one, so I can make fun of red squad and then teabag them when they die

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

External Organs posted:

They should do a starfleet academy game with the same level of detail as that upcoming Harry Potter one, so I can make fun of red squad and then teabag them when they die

They should make a Star Trek game where you're Worf just trying to abort every fetus he comes across

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

They should make a Star Trek game where you're Worf just trying to abort every fetus he comes across

Aside from being Worf, that's just my regular life

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Or like a don't stop talking or everyone explodes, but the puzzle you're trying to solve is just to get worf to the transporter room to get the hell out before the baby is born and the ship inevitably runs aground on a temporal iceberg

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

IIRC Discovery was originally pitched as an anthology

Yep, and the first season of that was the story of mutineer Michael Burnham getting caught up in a Sliding Doors-esque scenario in the context of the Klingon War.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Hollismason posted:

Finished off Deep Space Nine and now I'm back to watching Star Trek TNG , starting with the first episode I think I'mma try and go through the whole series.

drat its going to suck when Netflix loses Star Trek TNG and DS9

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BP06ENA/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DMXRCYL/

Sounds expensive until you think of how long it’ll take to spend that much in Paramount subscriptions. Rip off the band aid and spend that money now instead of more money in the long run

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/nichegamer/status/1504811128664518661?s=20&t=RS-eUDeDNpz22gHqqv8uLw

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

CainFortea posted:

It's more that logic can be used to come to any conclusion you want.

This is like the computer algorithm from Dirk Gently that you input the answer you wish for and it produces a coherent series of logical steps leading to that conclusion.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

Aside from being Worf, that's just my regular life

What's it like working for Planned Parenthood, you monster

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hmm.... are you sure?

Interesting if true.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just saying but if you happen upon a fetus on its own it's probably not doing too hot to begin with

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Watching Discovery new season and honestly its not that bad.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Hollismason posted:

Watching Discovery new season and honestly its not that bad.

It’s a great three-parter stretched over 13 episodes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like that they are giving the other 'main' cast members moments to exist. They get to do stuff and have ideas now. It's nice.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Just saying but if you happen upon a fetus on its own it's probably not doing too hot to begin with

But a fetus in a vast horde is a force to be reckoned with.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CainFortea posted:

It's more that logic can be used to come to any conclusion you want.

triangular toblerone is one of the great vulcan thinkers

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Did Picard name drop rick and morty?? I can't tell what's a joke and what's real with picard and disco...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i don't care. i mean, i don't like when fiction shows name drop anything "real" because it takes me out of the moment but frankly it's better imo than insisting that all federation crew love silent films

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Sarah Silverman name dropped Howdy Doody on Voyager and nobody batted an eye! #hypocrisy

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Conan O’Brien was name-dropped on Enterprise when they went back to 2004.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Endless Trash posted:

Sarah Silverman name dropped Howdy Doody on Voyager and nobody batted an eye! #hypocrisy

I saw her on Seinfeld (the Jimmy Legs woman) and it weirded me out that that was two years LATER than her Voyager turn. Seinfeld and Voyager definitely bookended my youth in a weird way

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Seinfeld and Voyager definitely feel like they should not have aired at the same time.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
There's a marble rye in that nebula...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Neelix, looking increasingly ill as he licks Janeway's "Captain's Party" invitation envelopes

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Garibaldi watches Loony Toons in Babylon 5 episode.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

picard walks over to viewscreen, gears whirring

'time to watch some quality programming from paramount plus!'

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I liked it when they used Magic Carpet Ride for the crucial historical moment from which utopian humanity and the Federation would eventually spring

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Prurient Squid posted:

Garibaldi watches Loony Toons in Babylon 5 episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im29S6ZWRDI

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

mediaphage posted:

i don't care. i mean, i don't like when fiction shows name drop anything "real" because it takes me out of the moment but frankly it's better imo than insisting that all federation crew love silent films

How much time is needed to confirm something as a "classic" that someone 200-300 years in the future (from now) would still reference? Like, Shakespeare obviously clears the bar, Enlightenment philosophers are probably alright too. Is film as a medium still too recent? Sherlock Holmes (the franchise) is almost 150 years old now and shows no signs of losing popularity. If we shift things forwards 30 years since TNG, now we're squarely in early silent film territory. Marx Bros/Keaton/Chaplin are still touchstones of comedy.

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 20, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Star Trek must only do public domain

It's grown-up Wishbone in a holodeck in space and that's all I want

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Fresh Prince of Bel Air also referenced Howdy Doody, and if Fresh Prince did it, it's okay to do

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Can't wait to see the Prodigy kids discover SpongeBob on the holodeck.

perfect synergy

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Badgeward Deltapants

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

How much time is needed to confirm something as a "classic" that someone 200-300 years in the future (from now) would still reference? Like, Shakespeare obviously clears the bar, Enlightenment philosophers are probably alright too. Is film as a medium still too recent? Sherlock Holmes (the franchise) is almost 150 years old now and shows no signs of losing popularity. If we shift things forwards 30 years since TNG, now we're squarely in early silent film territory. Marx Bros/Keaton/Chaplin are still touchstones of comedy.

it's not that it would never again be popular, i'm just poking fun at how star trek has usually been about "classics" instead of trying to do more alien content, or coming up with more popular media that's entirely fictional inside of the the st universe, etc. it's mostly just a bit of lazy writing (and taking on shakespeare for a moment, while gorkon jokes in st6 about it, why not have a scene of them watching a klingon or whatever production of it? it could be pretty funny. ferengis doing the merry wives of windsor. whatever).

i understand that the way it's been done is an easy way for the audience to connect with something, but i think it's boring. like sure, a scene here or there, but it's always tried to be a bit 'intellectual' about it, and it comes off as a bit npr-ish

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I kinda like the idea that the Federation would collectively find the absolute garbage we've been watching for decades utterly embarrassing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I kinda like the idea that the Federation is so embarrassing that they would collectively find the absolute garbage we've been watching for decades utterly enthralling

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Bazinga, mon capitaine”

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Poker night on the Enterprise but they have MTV's The Real World on in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it makes perfect sense for the lame rear end dorks on tng to be into lame rear end ancient media. anything more thrilling would make their monocles fly off.