Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah I think most people are "waiting" on one thing or another with Crafting, whether it's more mats, more patterns, systematic changes, etc. It's a nice little layer they've added atop the game, but definitely not a reason to log on

I mean after Bungie’s last announcement it does kind of feel like you’d just be wasting your time to go hard on crafting now before the materials cost patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Just squeaked by on the glassway 1550 nightfall. Hoo boy those wyverns. I can't even imagine that on master/grand master

Grandmaster Glassway is hilarious because it goes from ho hum just watch for snipers and mosey along until you get to the boss room and poo poo Gets Real. Like it’s easily got the biggest and quickest jump in difficulty of the pre-WQ strikes and it’s all at the end.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean after Bungie’s last announcement it does kind of feel like you’d just be wasting your time to go hard on crafting now before the materials cost patch.

How's that? They're just raising max inventory capacities (Tuesday) and getting rid of the unnecessary/infinitely available materials next season. The real grinds and scarce resources aren't changing and are available to begin, today!

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How's that? They're just raising max inventory capacities (Tuesday) and getting rid of the unnecessary/infinitely available materials next season. The real grinds and scarce resources aren't changing and are available to begin, today!

Yeah lol they are just getting rid of currencies that are in no way limiting at the moment.

I’m constantly stuffed at 250/250 of all the greebleygorps but lacking in the 2000 schobledydoos I need

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i wanna see Saladin sitting at Caiatal's war table and dangling his legs off a huge chair, swinging them back and forth

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

muike posted:

i wanna see Saladin sitting at Caiatal's war table and dangling his legs off a huge chair, swinging them back and forth

one of the parents on the war council drags out their kids’ old booster seat. it’s got a mobile hanging over it

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

PERMACAV 50 posted:

one of the parents on the war council drags out their kids’ old booster seat. it’s got a mobile hanging over it

saladin could use light to make it like how guardians make things for the emotes. but he likes the booster seat. it has filigree and engraved names of killed enemies

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coldforge posted:

You can get 2 guaranteed red drops per week, one of which you get to choose.

what’s the other guaranteed drop besides the raid spoils one at the end? I didn’t get the first bonus chest since it would have been empty for me, so if it comes from that chest it would explain it

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's a secret chest you go out your way to get that drops after you kill the final boss.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

what’s the other guaranteed drop besides the raid spoils one at the end? I didn’t get the first bonus chest since it would have been empty for me, so if it comes from that chest it would explain it

the regular secret chests will still give mods even if you don't have any weapons/armour unlocked, although that's not relevant to you anymore

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

When you enter the pyramid proper there’s a totem with 3 symbols on it. Those symbols tell you which 3 of the dozen or so secret rooms throughout the rest of the area you have to enter and activate the symbol in. If you get them right, and beat the raid in that session, you get an extra red border drop

(You find the dozen rooms by googling a guide)

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Hoarding IB tokens is kaput!

https://twitter.com/A_dmg04/status/1504958829225676800?s=20&t=Dvd8mCRJfMax9etw2Gj4kw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Almost certainly means IB is switching to the rep+reward track system

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How long did it take them to unfuck transmog? I figure It’ll be about the same for crafting.

Never, really. The only change they introduced since its launch was that transmog bounties used to cost their own exclusive currency to buy, now you just buy them with glimmer. If they’re really gonna be so stingy with only letting you get ten transmogs per character per season, the least they could do is remove the unnecessary step where completing a bounty gives you a currency that has zero purpose other than going to the tower to turn it into another currency that actually lets you transmog.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Yeah lol they are just getting rid of currencies that are in no way limiting at the moment.

I’m constantly stuffed at 250/250 of all the greebleygorps but lacking in the 2000 schobledydoos I need

Yeah, the issue with crafting is not the amount of currencies, though it does make it unnecessarily complicated. I’ve had no issues keeping topped up on all the secondary, “perk” currencies. They’re only barely raising the cap on Neutral Element, and if they raise the NE costs on crafting to compensate for there being no more perk currencies, there’s a good chance this change will actually make crafting worse.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It is funny reading their interviews in August/September of last year, when they had their crafting concept figured out but hadn't run in to the mechanical issues that led to the system we now have. The one that really stuck with me was,

PC Gamer: If I grind enough will I eventually be able to unlock every single perk on a gun?

Blackburn: Yes

Obviously that didn't end up being possible so now we have the system where random drops are for experimenting and Crafting is for producing your one, final version of a gun.

The system is an interesting look under the hood of Destiny, too. Your guns receive a new Item ID when you reshape them, so as far as the game is concerned, that is a totally new item you just pulled out of thin air, with manually-set values for Weapon Level and Kill Trackers

Bungie has said in the past that the reasons for not expanding vault space since Forsaken are technical, I assume there’s some amount of data storage per player that has become unprofitable or unmanageable in their database or something. With that in mind I really don’t know what they were thinking making sure each gun now had to store double the data.

IMO the best compromise would be having respec costs for a gun cost less the higher level it is, a blanket equation like that shouldn’t be too taxing on the ol’ data platters.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 19, 2022

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

quote:

PC Gamer: If I grind enough will I eventually be able to unlock every single perk on a gun?

Blackburn: Yes

We do this though? That's the levelling up to the mid-teens for your crafted gun. The perks unlock. To craft.

I dunno what people are or would be waiting for, I've got 16 crafted weapons so far, ignoring the raid and exotic glaives there's only like 4 patterns left to get and I already have progress on unlocking all of them.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I initially read "unlock all the perks" as "I will freely be able to switch around the perks" and not "If I switch a perk out I will have to pay to put it back on". That's really punishing especially with the high cost and unclear benefit on a lot of the enhanced perks. Currently weapon crafting really expects you to net deck. It's really material heavy to make changes to enhanced perks while there's an opportunity cost of weapon levels and gun juice to try a random rolled gun with perks you're interested in.

They did a real bad job of communicating how weapon crafting would work and that set a lot of expectations that the back end implementation didn't allow.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I like when a gun drops with 2 perks in column, I like being able to swap between two different versions of a gun on the fly. I WOULD NOT want the ability to swap frames/barrels/perks to perfectly fit every situation I am in, because that’s why I have a vault full of guns, I like having lots of guns for different activities and builds. Having a small subset of guns that could freely adapt to anything doesn’t sound like “weapon crafting” it sounds like “weapon sunsetting again”

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It doesn't help as well that reddit testing of the perks has shown that in a lot of cases the 'enhanced' version has a .5% improvement. But then that goes back to one of Destiny's biggest issues, which is there are a ton of mods, buffs and perks that say they increase things, but don't say how much in-game, you have to find someone who spent 3 hours shooting the same dreg with different guns / loadouts in order to work it out.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The golden writing for the enhanced perks gives me that sweet, sweet dopamine rush though

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Turra posted:

We do this though? That's the levelling up to the mid-teens for your crafted gun. The perks unlock. To craft.

I dunno what people are or would be waiting for, I've got 16 crafted weapons so far, ignoring the raid and exotic glaives there's only like 4 patterns left to get and I already have progress on unlocking all of them.

Your interpretation of this conversation was

PC Gamer: will we be able to use the crafting system to craft?

Blackburn: yes

???

Cmon friend I'm sure you understand why people expected something else lol

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The golden writing for the enhanced perks gives me that sweet, sweet dopamine rush though

The lack of gold border on Level 20+ Crafted Guns causes me an unreasonable amount of dissatisfaction

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

When we didn't know how we were acquiring perks or anything, yes, that is how I read it. I never thought changing perks would be free.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Turra posted:

When we didn't know how we were acquiring perks or anything, yes, that is how I read it. I never thought changing perks would be free.
In that particular interview with Blackburn, Mr. Blackburn said that the crafting system should alleviate some of the vault space woes. I interpret that as "If you have the one copy of your Palmyra-B launcher, you don't need really more than one copy, as you can adjust slots on it to make it fit multiple roles" Bungie has since acknowledged that there were system limitations that prevented that particular vision from coming true

How much do you value one vault space?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sestze posted:

You value it more as the number of free spaces decreases.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Sestze posted:

In that particular interview with Blackburn, Mr. Blackburn said that the crafting system should alleviate some of the vault space woes. I interpret that as "If you have the one copy of your Palmyra-B launcher, you don't need really more than one copy, as you can adjust slots on it to make it fit multiple roles" Bungie has since acknowledged that there were system limitations that prevented that particular vision from coming true

I took that to mean that there are crazy people who keep 5 of the same gun even with perks they don't like or consider good. They keep them "just in case Bungie buffs it!" Crafting removes the need for any of that because if balance or even just the meta changes you can just re-shape (for a small cost).

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Notable brain trust, Bungie, lol.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have a couple of extra guns with full-auto in my vault just in case they change it into something good when they do the full auto changes, but mostly I am finding it filling up with red borders I swear to myself i'll grind out at some point.

If their intent was even partly to solve vault space, their plan has completely backfired in that respect.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have a couple of extra guns with full-auto in my vault just in case they change it into something good when they do the full auto changes, but mostly I am finding it filling up with red borders I swear to myself i'll grind out at some point.

If their intent was even partly to solve vault space, their plan has completely backfired in that respect.

Shard the red border guns.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Coldforge posted:

Shard the candles.
no

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I've had about zero interaction with the crafting system apart from extracting Resonance. Sure, I'd love to tinker around with the guns I find interesting, if I had the patterns for them. As it is I've been keeping whatever craftable weapons that get dropped with the perks I like and storing them for later use. I guess this is one of those "It make perfect sense if you're a designer at Bungie" things.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Turra posted:

I took that to mean that there are crazy people who keep 5 of the same gun even with perks they don't like or consider good. They keep them "just in case Bungie buffs it!" Crafting removes the need for any of that because if balance or even just the meta changes you can just re-shape (for a small cost).
Not that crazy, really. I had redundant copies of certain weapons because trying to share them between characters using DIM was a pain in the rear end, and I kept redundant masterworked armor pieces from different element affinities because of the prohibitive cost of swapping elements before.

If I look at a weapon that I want enhanced perks on, it's arguably cheaper in the long run to just craft and level a new one to get the perk combination that I wanted to try. Swapping off of an enhanced perk basically throws 2,000 Neutral Element in the trash, which at current blush is grinding 10 deepsight weapons. A full weapon from zero to enhanced in both columns is 23 (26 if you just want to throw together the base level perks to try out the weapon). I'm still wasting the vault slot on a second gun with the alternate perk combo instead of just having the one gun and then swapping the traits by reshaping it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Stockpiling a big ol chunk of completed redframes is a decent idea because crafting and enhancing One Gun burns through like half your Materials

I've got like 20 in the vault and it just means I can instantly shard any redframes that drop while I'm playing. It's the same amount of work either way, you just get it done before you need VS after you need it

Grimthwacker posted:

I've had about zero interaction with the crafting system apart from extracting Resonance. Sure, I'd love to tinker around with the guns I find interesting, if I had the patterns for them. As it is I've been keeping whatever craftable weapons that get dropped with the perks I like and storing them for later use. I guess this is one of those "It make perfect sense if you're a designer at Bungie" things.

Yeah, getting patterns is kind of a bummer. Which craftable guns would you want to work on first? There are some tips and tricks for getting a few of them in particular that can really cut down the grind.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sestze posted:

Not that crazy, really. I had redundant copies of certain weapons because trying to share them between characters using DIM was a pain in the rear end, and I kept redundant masterworked armor pieces from different element affinities because of the prohibitive cost of swapping elements before.

If I look at a weapon that I want enhanced perks on, it's arguably cheaper in the long run to just craft and level a new one to get the perk combination that I wanted to try. Swapping off of an enhanced perk basically throws 2,000 Neutral Element in the trash, which at current blush is grinding 10 deepsight weapons. A full weapon from zero to enhanced in both columns is 23 (26 if you just want to throw together the base level perks to try out the weapon). I'm still wasting the vault slot on a second gun with the alternate perk combo instead of just having the one gun and then swapping the traits by reshaping it.

This part is so funny to me. I've already crafted a second copy of a few guns because I want a pvp roll and a pve roll. It's pretty obvious from reading their summer 2021 descriptions of crafting that they ran in to such severe technical issues that they had to completely throw it out and take "Shaping" in a new direction. Honestly I think it's a good addition to the game now that I've really sunk my teeth into it, but drat it sure is different from what bungie originally wanted to deliver!

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Y'all should start a hoarders support group.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
:siren: People who missed out on some well mods may want to hit up Ada today :siren:

https://twitter.com/destinyinsights/status/1505590238202191873?s=21

Reaping Wellmaker in particular is a must-buy!

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Stockpiling a big ol chunk of completed redframes is a decent idea because crafting and enhancing One Gun burns through like half your Materials

I've got like 20 in the vault and it just means I can instantly shard any redframes that drop while I'm playing. It's the same amount of work either way, you just get it done before you need VS after you need it

Yeah, getting patterns is kind of a bummer. Which craftable guns would you want to work on first? There are some tips and tricks for getting a few of them in particular that can really cut down the grind.

I've never even gotten my hands on stuff like Come to Pass, Insidious, Submission or Tarnation. I'd also like Recurrent Impact, but the one I have right now with Subsistence and Focused Fury is extremely fun to use.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Insidious and Submission drop from the raid

Tarnation and Come to Pass drop from wellspring, but only on every fourth day (each day drops a different one of the 4-gun set)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 20, 2022

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

hey I kinda just started playing this in the past 3 weeks and beat that there new raid twice with my IRL crew but they're unwilling to satisfy my need to get all the pinnacles, help me goony-1

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, but Xur is selling a really fun Subsistence/High Caliber Rounds Dead Man's Tale this week. (It never stops shooting!) I'm glad I have a Vorpal roll in the vault for Nightfalls, but I'd say this one is more than worth the shards, especially if you're a fan of cruising around patrol zones and plinking hapless bastards from the other side of the map.

On a similar note, does anyone have any suggestions for good Hawkmoon rolls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

filmcynic posted:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, but Xur is selling a really fun Subsistence/High Caliber Rounds Dead Man's Tale this week. (It never stops shooting!) I'm glad I have a Vorpal roll in the vault for Nightfalls, but I'd say this one is more than worth the shards, especially if you're a fan of cruising around patrol zones and plinking hapless bastards from the other side of the map.

On a similar note, does anyone have any suggestions for good Hawkmoon rolls?

Moving Target doesn’t give you all of the aim assist it can because it hits the cap, so go for Opening Shot instead. Heavy Grip or Smooth Grip depending on whether you value stability or accuracy more. Any barrel you want depending on what stat you want but I’m personally into Smallbore or Corkscrew.