Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

AceClown posted:

you're all getting mixed up with this one:

think it also made the thread title with "celery up rear end, ect" for a while

If she likes phallic food and he likes multiple watches, they should just have a threesome with Richard Scarry's Bananas Gorilla.

EDIT: On second thought, Bananas Gorilla doesn't appear to like the idea.

Hispanic! At The Disco fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
can you all stop talking about the lore behind a sexual assault?

its loving gross all of you being like "post the hosed up rape story"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Mx. posted:

My(28m) sister(30f) asked me to keep my same sex relationship DL at her wedding and to not tell our parents till after

Uncle Enzo posted:

If OP was going to come out at the wedding I could see it, but they were planning on telling the parents 3+ weeks in advance. I guarantee that fiance still expects gay brother to pay for the wedding too.

The request here isn't really "Please don't come out until after our wedding" so much as it is "please don't bring your same-sex partner to our wedding." The OP's sister is just trying to hide that lovely request behind something that they think makes them look less like a walking garbage bag.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Large Testicles posted:

Yes, let’s move on from this

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Large Testicles posted:

I second this motion.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

How about a good old fashioned "I can tell exactly what kind of person wrote this based on the title's quote mark usage"

AITA for "ruining" my younger daughter's engagement announcement?

quote:

My husband and I have two daughters, one who's 32 and another who just turned 25. Our older daughter was married for 6 months to her partner of 7 years. They divorced 2 years ago and since then my daughter has been dating other guys but not as serious. My older daughter always expresses how she wants to be happily married to the right person and be a mom. She came out of a very toxic situation with her ex since he had cheated on her with multiple women and even let his mom verbally abuse my daughter. She has expressed how she feels she deserves better and I want the best for her as well and it saddens me how she doesn't not live the life she wants to.

My younger daughter has been with her current boyfriend, now fiancé, for 5 years. One week ago he proposed to her and she came home to show us the ring and announce it. My husband and I told her congratulations and I said "well, now let's hope your sister finally finds her happiness too". My younger daughter didn't reply at this but gave me a side eye. We were then calling relatives to announce the engagement. All of them were happy for my younger girl but for all of us it was bittersweet how my older daughter still hasn't found the happiness she wishes for. My younger got pissed about how everyone of us turned her engagement into a pity party for my older girl and she told me she can't even have this one special occasion to herself and how she can't even be engaged and announce it without everyone making it about her sister. My husband and I told her to not act jealous and how she should be more understanding and empathetic on why we are also mentioning her older sister. She says we are TAs for finding excuses on why we turned this into something about her sister and how she believes we'll find a way to make her wedding about her poor older sister as well. I thought her reaction was uncalled for and that she lacks empathy for the traumatic divorce her sister went through but part of me and my husband also believe that we should probably not make it so obvious and we believe we might have acted like AHs a bit.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Captain Hygiene posted:

How about a good old fashioned "I can tell exactly what kind of person wrote this based on the title's quote mark usage"

I mean, yeah, her divorce was two goddamn years ago but that doesn't mean this can't be a pity party for her

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Captain Hygiene posted:

The younger daughter could be in the middle of giving birth, and OP would interrupt and beg her to consider her sister's feelings first.

AITA for wearing a “speedo-esque” bathing suit to the beach for my girlfriends birthday?

quote:

My girlfriend had her birthday this week and it’s she, some friends of hers, and I took a trip the beach for the weekend.

So I grew up a fat little butterball and in the last two years I decided to take control and fix this. I’ve spent these two years working on my body and I have seen the benefits. I’m a completely different man now and I feel so strong and confident. Part of this is now expanding my wardrobe and challenging myself.

I’ve be wearing more revealing clothing because I finally feel comfortable doing so. I’ve never really felt good about wearing stuff like that. So for the trip I got a bathing suit that did that. It’s very short tight black swim trunks. Normally I would never feel comfortable Wearing something like that, but more that I’m in shape I wanted to.

So we get to the hotel and change, I put on my beach wear, and my girlfriend makes a comment about it. She sure that my pants are a little short. I tell her that’s how they’re supposed to be. I wear B a shirt on the drive to the beach but the second we get there it comes off.

This was not my intention but I did draw a lot of eyes from people and a few women did try to talk to me. I was respectful and told them I was there with my girlfriend.

My girlfriend got upset admit this, but she was pushed over the edge when her friends started looking and masking comments. Apparently after I got out of the water, the shorts clinged to me and left very little to the imagination and her friends apparently had noticed.

Asked to walk her to my car and she went off on me. She told me that I needed to go back to the hotel to change into something that wasn’t essentially a Speedo. She told me that the only reason I write it was for attention and that it was disrespectful to her. I told her she was being a little dramatic and it wasn’t my fault people were talking to me and I was just wearing a bathing suit. We got into a huge fight and I caved just to restore peace.

AITA?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

HopperUK posted:

I also get irrationally angry sometimes when I'm expecting a period and it doesn't come

:D
If there is an expected period but it never comes, that could be a pregnant

pause.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

CannonFodder posted:

If there is an expected period but it never comes, that could be a pregnant

pause.
:doh:

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

DemoneeHo posted:

The younger daughter could be in the middle of giving birth, and OP would interrupt and beg her to consider her sister's feelings first.

AITA for wearing a “speedo-esque” bathing suit to the beach for my girlfriends birthday?

I say if you worked hard for it, flaunt it. Don’t let the haters hate.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

DemoneeHo posted:

reddit, am i the rear end in a top hat for being way too ripped? for being unstoppably loving hot? be honest

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
A family friend/old professor of mine was in pretty drat good shape for being in his 60's. I nannied for his daughters when they were babies, and when they were older I'd go to their swim competitions. One part of the swim syncho they had was the daddy-daughter swim, where most pairs came out with a dad who'd mug for the crowd before cannonballing into the pool, usually with their daughters jumping in after. All of them wore standard swim trunks, some had shirts on too.

Save for him and his girls; they came out with a dad in a bright blue Speedo. Now he didn't have a six pack or anything but again, looked pretty drat great for his age. And they dove in loving unison, which made a lot of the other dads irritated that he was "showing off."

AITA for disinviting my best friend from the wedding cause I'm afraid her epilepsy might ruin it ?

quote:

I (25F) am getting married to my man (27M) this summer. The preparations for the wedding are going great so far, except for one little problem. You see, my best friend (25F), with who I was BFFs since 5th grade, was really excited to be my bridesmaid at my upcoming wedding. I would've totally wanted her to be my bridesmaid, if not for her epilepsy. You see, her disorder has never created problems till now, but I'm afraid that if she gets one of her episodes during my wedding, she would take all the attention from me and my groom, especially if she were to be given the bridesmaid position, and would ruin the entire wedding for us. So I called her and informed her that I unfortunately need to disinvite her from my wedding. She was completely shocked and asked me why I didn't want her at the wedding anymore and as I'm not the type of person to sugarcoat it, I told her the truth. She started tearing up on the phone and told me that I promised her to make her the bridesmaid to my wedding in high school and I can't disinvite her over something she has no control over. I told her that while I feel sympathy for her, I can't risk letting her condition potentially ruin the best day of my life and that as my best friend, she should understand. She started making a scene, which made me hung up on her.

I thought this was all over with, but the next day, my BFF's sister somehow got my number and called me to tell me that I'm a b word for what I did to her little sister and that she's been crying all day long in her room after I cruelly disinvited her from my wedding. I of course hung up on her too and blocked her number. I told my fiance about the ridiculousness of this situation and expected him to take my side in all of this, but I was completely shocked when not only he didn't, but also told me that he can't believe I could be so cruel to someone I claim to be my best friend. I told him that I only did it so we could have the perfect day during our wedding, but soon it escalated into an argument and then my husband ended up sleeping in the guest room, saying that he needs time to think some things over. I honestly think both him sand my BFF are being ridiculous right now, but I want to see some unbiased opinions in order to see if I could be potentially in the wrong or if they indeed just overreacting.

AITA ?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I'm glad "celery up rear end, etc" was consensual.

GIRLS WHAT SHOULD I DO HELP ME OUT ??

quote:

I like this girl at work, I'm 21 and she is 24, she posts nice stories about me and how she appreciate me, to the point I punch another employee and got fired, next thing is she quit the job because: "it's not a dream without me working with "she said. We still hanging out after half a year later, she still post nice story post about me but hide it from me, then I found out using my IG clone, I didn't say anything to her but suddenly she didn't act like she used to and become a whole other person, totally ignore me and despite all of my effort, she didn't like to share and talk to me about her life like she used to. Im so confused should I continue or should I pass, and I don't know what I did wrong in this case.

**TL;DR;** : This is a sample summary of the TLDR rule, just copy the text in gray box. Is this going the right way?

**TL;DR; : This is a sample summary of the TLDR rule, all things are bold. Is this going the right way?**.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for disinviting my best friend from the wedding cause I'm afraid her epilepsy might ruin it ?

So, is all the "my special day/best day of my life/center of attention" rhetoric disseminated through the wedding-industrial complex, or is this fantasy agit prop by weird misogynists who are pretty sure women would be like that if they ever talked to one?

In my hazy recollection wedding planning was about the logistics of throwing three parties for family and friends in the span of a long weekend, and just trying to get through it without loving anything up too bad, rather than policing who is allowed to have boyfriends/tattoos/bodies/glasses/medical issues near your special day.

I understand that we see the worst of the worst, but is there a trend line to indicate that weddings are shittier now than they were in the last 30-40-50 years?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Slo-Tek posted:

So, is all the "my special day/best day of my life/center of attention" rhetoric disseminated through the wedding-industrial complex, or is this fantasy agit prop by weird misogynists who are pretty sure women would be like that if they ever talked to one?

In my hazy recollection wedding planning was about the logistics of throwing three parties for family and friends in the span of a long weekend, and just trying to get through it without loving anything up too bad, rather than policing who is allowed to have boyfriends/tattoos/bodies/glasses/medical issues near your special day.

I understand that we see the worst of the worst, but is there a trend line to indicate that weddings are shittier now than they were in the last 30-40-50 years?

I've never been to a wedding with a bridezilla either, but that doesn't mean they don't exist, and it doesn't mean I get out my cane and go "WEDDINGS BACK IN MY DAY WERE BETTER."

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I'm glad "celery up rear end, etc" was consensual.

GIRLS WHAT SHOULD I DO HELP ME OUT ??

This person's writing just screams "I'm dumb as hell". Not even the terrible English, but the complete inability to identify useful details or create any theory of what might be happening in this girl's brain. Why do you have additional secret Instagram accounts to stalk her? Why has she blocked your main? What was the story? What happened in the half a year between you punching a loving coworker and the rest of this story?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Akratic Method posted:

This person's writing just screams "I'm dumb as hell". Not even the terrible English, but the complete inability to identify useful details or create any theory of what might be happening in this girl's brain. Why do you have additional secret Instagram accounts to stalk her? Why has she blocked your main? What was the story? What happened in the half a year between you punching a loving coworker and the rest of this story?

You need to read "The Sound and the Fury" to learn more about Benny.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Slo-Tek posted:

Self-selection. You don't get people looking for advice on Reddit because their wedding was really fun and everyone had a great time. Just like how we don't see stories where people have appropriate boundaries and spines.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Slo-Tek posted:

It's the first one. When incel types from reddit write fake ragebait stories pushing misogyny, they are a lot less subtle and you'll know it right away. Weddings are way worse now because spending tens of thousands of dollars on them has been normalized, so whenever you've got that much riding on it, it's going to make some people crazy, plus there's the sampling bias of who posts about these, as mentioned.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for telling my college professor that he needs to get over himself?

quote:

I'm in my third year of college right now, taking a Film Publicity course that fulfills one of my major requirements but is mostly just for fun. The other day I emailed my professor (who I've never met IRL) asking about an assignment, and referred to him as "Mr. Johnson."

He wrote me back saying (copy and pasted)

"SquareBuilder841,

First and foremost, you need to utilize a proper salutation. A professor is not your high school teacher, and I'm truly insulted by your informality. You always refer to us as Professor or Doctor, unless they have specified that it is appropriate to call them mister." He also half-assedly answered me about the assignment, saying that I was "making his life harder right now."

Maybe this wasn't mature of me but I was annoyed so... I emailed him back telling him that he had every right to ask me to address him the way he wanted. However, he had no right to be a condescending dick. And I wasn't going to call him a Doctor when he was only teaching students how to promote movies and not curing cancer. He threatened to drop me from his class over this, to which I told him to go for it as I didn't need it and he had made it harder me for and several other students in the class I'd spoken to.

I also left a review on RateMyProfessor saying that he was up himself and not a good teacher - as both these things are true. AITA?
Reddit's verdict? Overwhelmingly YTA :jerkbag:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
My parent's wedding reception included fights between a set of uncles (the rear end in a top hat uncle of my dad's side of the family vs. the rear end in a top hat uncle of my mom's side of the family) and a husband/ wife pair. My aunt broke her arm and her then husband's nose, and the outcome of the uncle fight was one got thrown in the pool and the other got their tux jacket ripped up the back. My folks feelings about the whole affair? "It was a hell of a good time!"

Everyone's perspective is different I guess.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Lol

Every person I've met who insisted on the use of their academic titles has been an absolute prick. Doubly so with the one for whom "Dr." wasn't good enough because only "Professor" adequately demonstrated the importance of his achievements.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I went through 3 years of Uni and never called my teachers anything but their first name lol

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

that's MISTER SquareBuilder841 to you, professor jerkwad!!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol

Every person I've met who insisted on the use of their academic titles has been an absolute prick. Doubly so with the one for whom "Dr." wasn't good enough because only "Professor" adequately demonstrated the importance of his achievements.

They should move to Germany where they can be addressed as Herr Doktor Professor.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Its seems many professors have forgotten that they are more or less in the service industry working for an organization in the hospitality industry (seriously, have you SEEN the amenities at most schools these days) and need to act accordingly.

I'm not saying this is a good thing, but it's the reality of today's higher education with even higher prices.

You want "respect=I'm an authority" you need to be working for someplace else.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Whorelord posted:

I went through 3 years of Uni and never called my teachers anything but their first name lol

Yeah, literally everyone at my college was referred to by their first name, presumably to discourage these kinds of power-tripping assholes. Professors could still be dicks for other reasons, but failure to address them by their proper title befitting their superior station was not one of them.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 19, 2022

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also please address the wife of a professor with their husband's title, very disrespectful otherwise.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Motronic posted:

Its seems many professors have forgotten that they are more or less in the service industry working for an organization in the hospitality industry (seriously, have you SEEN the amenities at most schools these days) and need to act accordingly.

I'm not saying this is a good thing, but it's the reality of today's higher education with even higher prices.

You want "respect=I'm an authority" you need to be working for someplace else.

rofl

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Another reason not to join the military is you go to fake but still lovely jail and get your paycheck taken if you don’t address petty tyrants by their title

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

listen bub, put down your r01 application and listen here, you're in a service industry and you better start recognizing that ok

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I had a professor that was fine if we called him by his first name but wouldn’t abide “Mr.” it was literally, “Please call me either ‘Bil’l, or ‘Dr. Hughes,’ I don’t care which but no ‘Mr.’”

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

One good reason to go by Dr as a PhD is to piss off the MDs.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for not helping my neighbor with car troubles after she threatened to call the police on me?

quote:

I live in a condo/townhome, with 4 other neighbors belonging to our condo/property board. We all have our own driveways on the property.

When I first moved in, my neighbor “Jane” who doesn’t have a car said we could use her driveway from time to time if needed for making space for snow removal.

I have 2 cars. Since the driveways are only “one lane,” one of my cars is always blocked in by the other. One day a few months ago, I wanted to take one of my cars to the car wash because it had been sitting there for quite some time. So I took car #1 out of my driveway, parked it in her driveway, and then took car #2 out and went on my way to get the car washed. I thought since she had said it was ok, I would leave car #1 in her driveway until I got back rather than putting it back in my driveway and having to move the cars around again when I got back. When I got home, Jane was banging on my door furiously. She told me that if I park my car in her driveway again, she’d call the police. I was a bit confused because she had said it was ok. I ended up trying to be the bigger person and apologizing. I said I was sorry for the misunderstanding and that I wouldn’t use her driveway anymore. After that, she was very unfriendly whenever we’d cross paths. Totally ignored me if I’d say hello.

Fast forward to now, she has a used car that she purchased. Her battery is dead and she knocked on my door asking for a boost. She had seen me give a boost to another neighbor not too long ago. She said she was now running late for an appointment and really needed my help. I said sorry, can’t help, and I closed my door without another word.

Another neighbor (who knows about Jane threatening to call the police) saw this whole interaction and thought I was a bit harsh and should have just helped Jane out and given her a boost.

So, AITA?

Edit: So I’m creepily watching/listening through my window. This other guy is helping her out. He got his booster cables ready and just slipped on the ice and fell. He kind of landed right on the fender of her car while going trying to save himself from going down and now there’s a dent in it. She’s losing her poo poo and asking him how he’s going to fix this. I was starting to feel like the AH from a lot of the comments, but now I’m kinda glad I didn’t help.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

therobit posted:

I had a professor that was fine if we called him by his first name but wouldn’t abide “Mr.” it was literally, “Please call me either ‘Bil’l, or ‘Dr. Hughes,’ I don’t care which but no ‘Mr.’”

Bil'l is a particularly uncreative Star Trek name

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

quote:

Out of 12 waitress working in our restaurant for years, our manager has promoted the only man at work, who started 5 weeks ago.

Was told to post this here-

I work in a restaurant where the entire staff is women. The owner is a man, the general manager is a man but the staff is all women. When we needed an assitant manager instead of hiring one of us he brough in his friend (a man) who had no restaurant experience to be our assitant manager. He didn’t even work as a waiter, he went straight to being assitant manager.

This guy has now left and we asked both the boss and manager to promote from within and give the job to anyone of us, we have the experience, are ready for the position, some of us have been working here for years, we know everything there’s to know. They said they’d think about it and days after they hired another man, the son of a friend who had no restaurant experience at all. After 5 weeks at work they’ve promoted him to manager (our GM is going to open a new branch). Also not promoting any of us to assitant manager because we’ve “proved you can work well without an AM”.

But you see, it’s not sexism. It’s just that even though most of us have been working there for years, this guy with no experience after 5 weeks was more ready than any of us to be our manager. Straight from waiter to manager in 5 weeks. But don’t say it’s sexism come on! It’s just that he was “the most qualified person for the job”. Suuure….

Next week will be busy because of some local events taking place in town. We haven’t said a word but all 12 of us have decided not to show up for work. I’m already doing interviews in other places.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh yes PLEASE strike, I love it! God drat I hope that sexist fucker loses his business. Next best would be having to suck it up and promote the ringleader of the strike to manager

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Chill weddings only get posted about when bridezillas get brought up so we can all talk about how we did ours and humble brag.

Edit: I need to refresh before replying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Kuiperdolin posted:

One good reason to go by Dr as a PhD is to piss off the MDs.

afaik PhDs had dr first, physicians picked it up later historically