Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Practicing medicine without a license is illegal, "Dr." Mario is just an unlicensed pill-pusher.

The less said or asked about Mushroom Kingdom medical certification the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

Fiancée doesn’t care how I feel and goes out every day

Gordon Lightfoot had a whole song about you, Mr. Edmund Fitzgerald

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Bruceski posted:

I grew up at a national laboratory and the general stance there was that new hires took a year or two to learn that everyone else had a PhD too and nobody cared. That was when you could start teaching them useful stuff instead of busywork. Of course if someone was giving a presentation or some Senator was on-site the titles would come back out. They had their place.

What's it like being one of the rats of NIMH?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

edgeman83 posted:

Especially how she reflexively hid the issues when her father and father-in-law both sensed she was having issues. From the comments the pregnancy was planned, so her husband acting the way he has is doubly concerning and she needs to let other people know before he gets worse.

Yeah that one is just normalized abuse all the way down and unlikely to get better :(

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Evil Willow posted:

Fiancée doesn’t care how I feel and goes out every day

In the comments he elaborates that the "string of arguments" is over him being a manchild who refuses to do even the tiniest bit of picking up after himself:

quote:

She knows I hate little arguments and the last thing I need is being nagged over a bag of chips I finished at 8am.

quote:

Little things. One time I forgot to switch the laundry to the dryer when she asked me to and then she flipped out saying I wasted water and the clothes smelled nasty because they had been sitting there wet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So how long before they stopped calling you "Specimen 8394X"?

Dad's nickname for me was Control Group. I'm about 3% headcrab, but you pick that up just by breathing the air around there.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Sorry to keep the wedding crap going but I want to vent a bit

haveblue posted:

Anyone you invite to your wedding has a small chance of disrupting the event with a random heart attack or something, the only safe option is to elope to the courthouse

Someone I work with has her boyfriend eat lunch with her sometimes in her office and they always complain about the wedding they're planning. I don't get it. A wedding isn't just the event; it's the weeks and months of planning that lead up to it, like the weeks of rehearsal that lead up to the play. Rent a nice space, have the wedding, have a catered dinner with the cake and a band/DJ, boom, done. I mean it's probably not that easy but the wedding industry has done a real number on a lot of women people.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

teen witch posted:

Oh no, Long Island’s suburbanization is basically the last people finally considered “white” pulling up the ladder from anyone that came after them (or even before them, which is why I’m more keen on giving the land back).

It’s reeeaaal hosed and there is a reason it’s still considered heavily segregated. It’s still dear to my heart, and always will be, but as some schnook said “ain’t no island left for islanders like me”

(I’m on my period and I’m homesick)

meet me in port jeff

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

kntfkr posted:

meet me in port jeff

Full Album here

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In the comments he elaborates that the "string of arguments" is over him being a manchild who refuses to do even the tiniest bit of picking up after himself:

Hm how to prevent... "nagging."... over obvious poo poo you were supposed to do

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Anyone who censors the word 'sex' is an rear end in a top hat. Unless she is censoring the word 'sax', which makes me think that this story might be pretty cool.

Easy overactive tik tok user identified. Their algorithm harms sex-topic videos greatly.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Practicing medicine without a license is illegal, "Dr." Mario is just an unlicensed pill-pusher.

You don't know that Mario doesn't have a medical license.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Quackles posted:

You don't know that Mario doesn't have a medical license.

Miyamoto suggests that he doesn't

quote:

Mario has been a boxing referee, a doctor, an Olympian, and a carpenter. Are all these official careers in Mario lore? If he has a medical degree, why does he continue his plumbing business?

SM: There's really only one rule in terms of the things that Mario does. Generally, it's that he's more on the blue-collar side. He's hard-working, and certainly much more physical in nature. So, I think that a doctor is sort of an unexpected and perhaps unbelievable role for Mario. Perhaps the Dr. Mario you're thinking of was maybe, in some way, not necessarily legitimate.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mario is, as established in Mario 3, an actor. While he typically plays blue collar hero roles, he went against type for Doctor Mario to prove his range.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Maybe he's a chiropractor. They get to slap Dr. in front of their names, right? He wasn't beating the back of Yoshi's head. He was giving him an adjustment!

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Posting from the past to call out solid gold phrase “he’s said he’ll try to wind it down”.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Should I[26M] report my GF[26F] to the cops

quote:

My GF has a dog (mix of 100 breeds). She tries her best with the dog which is why this decision is so tough for me. This dog has a bite history. It's mauled a small dog to death and bit a child. The later was under my GF's supervision and it did go to court. She had to pay a hefty fee and she was warned that if this happened again the dog would be put down and she would be criminally charged.

This was during the early days of the pandemic. My GF has done her best since then. She puts the dog in doggy day care, does lot of training sessions with him, puts a muzzle. For the most part the dog improved.

Yesterday we were at the dog park and I needed to get a bottle of water from the car. When I returned I found a small pup badly punctured and it's owner crying. I couldn't find my GF. I eventually found her about a mile away and she was in tears. Somehow the muzzle came off and during the interaction her dog bit the other one. She just ran because she didn't want to get in trouble.

I'm really conflicted on what to do. She's put the effort in to keep the dog safe but it clearly didn't work. I feel terrible for the owner of the other dog. What do I do?

TL;DR Should I report GF to the cops

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Mx. posted:

Can we please not post stories like this? It's not at all funny, it's just sad. Sorry for stepping on mod toes but this legit made me tear up.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Posting from the past to call out solid gold phrase “he’s said he’ll try to wind it down”.

lol at "gone digital"

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Batterypowered7 posted:

Maybe he's a chiropractor. They get to slap Dr. in front of their names, right? He wasn't beating the back of Yoshi's head. He was giving him an adjustment!

Chiropractors are not allowed to put "Dr." in front of their names (many of them do anyway, because they are the worst people in the world). Once you finish earning a degree in chiropracty, the honorific you are entitled to use is D.C. for "doctor of chiropracty" aka "I am not a doctor, do not listen to me about medical matters."

Yeah, we've got the prohibition on animal abuse/injury/death stories for a reason, there's no idiots to point and laugh at in these. OP is making the right decision getting his gf put down, though.

AITA for not wanting him to be concerned about my farting habits?

quote:

I(19F) absolutely hate talking about farting when it comes to myself. It makes me feel gross and I never do it infront of my bf(20M). He on the other hand is very open about bodily functions and will gladly rip one right next to me. Hes admant about the fact that he feels holding in gas frequently is bad for your digestive system. Hes not rude of course so he doesnt do things like fart while were being intimate and he'll move if were cuddling, but he definitely doesnt feel the need to hold it until he can leave the room like I do. Today he brought up with me the fact that he never hears me pass gas. I just laughed it off and told him he "never will". And then he kept going. He said he wanted me to be comfortable and that holding it in like that might cause me serious intestinal issues. I told him he was being dramatic and asked him to stop discussing my farting habits because it makes me feel gross and I'm not rude enough to fart infront of him. He got offended and said its not fair to say it would be rude or gross. I figure hes the one who brought it up( something he had to know would embarrass me), so why get upset when I give my genuine input? Its not even his concern/business anyway
Bf has fart fetish so what.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Evil Willow posted:

Can we please not post stories like this? It's not at all funny, it's just sad. Sorry for stepping on mod toes but this legit made me tear up.

Sorry guy, it's now part of the discourse. Also looking at the throwaway history, it looks like its some creative writing.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
Alls I'm getting out of this is that the people who expect me to call them Dr. are some of the first in line for the guillotine. Entitled pricks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mx. posted:

Not to be all "kill the dog" but if a dog has repeatedly attacked smaller creatures at that point, isn't the behavior too ingrained to be prevented anymore? Like a muzzle is the only way?

Also not sure how a muzzle 'slips off' like that if the entire point of it is to prevent the dog from attacking anything.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I have known too many people that argue it is unhealthy to hold it in to write this one off as fetishism without more info. Sounds like a good way to head off a hypothetical argument at the pass.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for laughing when my dad called my husband a “disrespectful bastard”?

quote:

My dad really wanted me to marry my husband and I can honestly say that without the pressure from him I’m not sure we ever would’ve gotten married. Surprisingly our marriage has been great for me, not so much for my dad.

My husband and my dad used to be very close and my dad had a lot of influence over him. As my husband has gotten older, his opinions have changed and he’s stopped listening to my dad.

We went to dinner with my parents recently and my dad and husband got into a heated debate because my husband told my dad he didn’t need any advice and knew what he was doing. At one point my husband implied my dad was old, his methods were outdated and it was time for him to retire. My dad called him a “disrespectful bastard” and I really can’t say why I laughed, but I did.

It did stop their arguing but my dad was then angry at me and asked me if I thought it was funny that I married someone who would disrespect him. I told him he wanted me to marry him so it was his fault I was married to such a disrespectful bastard.

My mum forced us to change the subject before things could get really heated but it was obvious my dad was still angry at both of us once dinner was over.

AITA?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

limp_cheese posted:

The best doctor story in an iteration of this thread was a woman who got a PhD entirely so her mysoginistic FIL had to put her name first on cards. She used his "but decorum" against him and according to her he nearly had a stroke from anger at having to show her anything that even remotely looks like respect.

Alas I've brought this up a few times but its lost in the deluge of posts.

Please tell me somebody has this one handy, I can't find it thru Google and it's easily the best spite story I've seen in any iteration of this thread

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'd suspect she got the PhD for her own reasons, salting the father was just a bonus.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
And like all the best stories on Reddit, I’m sure it never came within a hundred miles of even remotely happening.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

kntfkr posted:

meet me in port jeff

Done, downport beatdown (we can just get a tea)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
When I went on exchange, I went through a little exchange prep program where they made absolutely sure we knew that Americans are really big on decorum and titles and we should be sure to address the staff as "professor" or "Dr. [lastname]" at all times. Every single instructor introduced themselves by saying first names are fine, and the couple I e-mailed before the first class using the proper salutation likewise responded politely that there was no need for that. I have literally never met an individual who demanded or even preferred to be addressed by their title.

That's my titles story, thanks for listening.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
some of my college professors introduced themselves as doctor lastname and i just called them that because... like, why wouldn't i, it costs me literally nothing

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why didn't you stare them in the eye while yelling their first name!!!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I just always called them teacher man or teacher lady.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think the whole doctorate thing devolving into using minorities as some weird gotcha might be the most embarrassing derail to date

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

thotsky posted:

I just always called them teacher man or teacher lady.

Why bother with such specifics when a simple YO, TEACH would suffice?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Please tell me somebody has this one handy, I can't find it thru Google and it's easily the best spite story I've seen in any iteration of this thread

In one previous incarnation of the thread, someone posted an AITA from a PhD who had a postgrad student ask her for a copy of a paper she'd written years ago on a topic he was working on.

He then proceeded to present her entire paper as his own work in a talk before students and faculty - and the OP. She naturally called him out and the guy was now turbofucked.

But, as there is no greater crime than a woman making a man look bad, she was now getting kickback from her colleagues over it to the point where she felt she had to ask if she was the rear end in a top hat in the matter.

The sheer loving gall of the guy to try presenting her own paper in front of the person who wrote it just staggers me.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think the whole doctorate thing devolving into using minorities as some weird gotcha might be the most embarrassing derail to date

Nah I’m thinking this tops it there pal

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

teen witch posted:

What

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

U did a racism/sexism :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

teen witch posted:

Yeah, it's a very real thing that needs to be a part of the discussion if you want to dismiss the use of titles.

https://themacweekly.com/73092/news/first-names-vs-titles-professors-weigh-merits-of-colleges-naming-conventions/
https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210216-why-do-professional-titles-actually-matter
https://www.diverseeducation.com/opinion/article/15107622/why-do-i-have-to-call-you-doctor
https://theconversation.com/what-the-doctor-title-means-for-women-of-color-with-doctorates-150194 (read this one if you skip the others)
https://www.chronicle.com/article/thats-dr-so-and-so-to-you/