Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Switching teams as adult seems like it’d be a weird thing to process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

protesting against the u.s. navy and switching your allegiance to the air force

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

sponges posted:

Switching teams as adult seems like it’d be a weird thing to process.

I don't think you can really fully do it, or at least I couldn't. I would say I'm now a Giants fan or whatever and follow the team more closely, but I would never be able to get as upset over losses or pumped after victories.

Probably a healthier existence, come to think of it.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Aren't there still a few viable starters floating around in FA? At the very least Winston is still an FA. Plus if the Panthers or Falcons got Watson that would have made Ryan or Darnold available. It seems so weird to overreact like this when there maybe weren't better options out there, but at least stopgap options that wouldn't cost you 3 first round picks.

Browns Gonna Browns I guess.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The Aristocrats Browns

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Off topic, but I just wanted to thank the Browns for not drafting Josh Allen.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It’s best if we try to say absolutely nothing.

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1505571715312672771

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

But more to the point, those handoffs happen because McVay likes using jet sweep motion and likes to hand it off every so often to keep teams honest. Woods is fine at them but McVay won’t have any problems find another guy to do that.

With how stats are tracked it strikes me as a slight philosophy thing that isn't easy to figure out comparing to the Chiefs. Mecole Hardman had 8 carries last season but without actually checking I'd guess he has ~25 or more mostly runs, just the others were those little bounce passes on fly sweep motion out of the shotgun.

One of those things that isn't easy to track without doing a lot of research.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Haslam wrote this

It’s a Mary Kay piece so yeah, probably

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
you know your team is in good shape when you need to release a PR statement like that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m glad they asked him if he would continue to assault people and he probably said no

Or he said yes but contritely?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

When literally everyone is forced to release a statement and not a single one comment on how you structured his contract on the assumption he’ll be reprimanded for being a giant loving sex creep

https://twitter.com/browns/status/1505572902887993349?s=21

https://twitter.com/browns/status/1505572338401746947?s=21

gently caress this team. I hope they never make the playoffs ever again

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
We tried to ask the guy accused of sexual assault if he was guilty and he told us he was ready to play football

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I like how the extensive background did not involve talking to everyone accusing him since their lawyer said that he hasn’t been contacted by a team or nfl in months

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Deshaun Watson?! Instead of Baker Mayfield, with five draft picks and 230 million dollars, for a Quarterback with 22 accusations of sexual assault?!

We've conducted a comprehensive evaluation process.

....may I see it?

....no.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1505572699313098753?s=21

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You also got to love how PR has to thread the needle that Watson is showing contrition of a crime we determined he did not do

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Paying him nothing for the first year under the assumption that he'll be suspended for sexual assault is one of the greasiest things that've happened in the league. All this to be league average and miss the playoffs anyway

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

You also got to love how PR has to thread the needle that Watson is showing contrition of a crime we determined he did not do

He’s showing contrition for the massage therapists irrationally feeling uncomfortable over his innocent action duh.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Would you respect it more or less than the statement they did release if the Browns just released
1) A statement that essentially said "Bitches be lyin."
2) A statement that essentially said "We know he did it but we want to win a Super Bowl."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MJeff posted:

2) A statement that essentially said "We know he did it but we want to win a Super Bowl."

That’s his contract, op

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Nvm probably posted

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

fsif posted:

I don't think you can really fully do it, or at least I couldn't. I would say I'm now a Giants fan or whatever and follow the team more closely, but I would never be able to get as upset over losses or pumped after victories.

Probably a healthier existence, come to think of it.

You can do it and everybody should do it (to the Bengals)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

It’s best if we try to say absolutely nothing.

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1505571715312672771

https://twitter.com/dollardognick/status/1505573497845821447

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

We know the rapist still has several legal cases against him but he said he won't do it again so we gave him a fully guaranteed $230 million dollars and zero repercussions. Get hosed forever Browns.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Haslams putting in calls to the league to get some cover

https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status/1505597884368052234?s=20&t=OdzA0JIUH8fpzcNRnoFjQA

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Jake_Trotter/status/1505616321970593795?t=Rigp3fKyi5tXTGePAVS8Xg&s=19

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I think they need to go deeper into the organization for more press releases. Who manages the concessions and the parking lots?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think they need to go deeper into the organization for more press releases. Who manages the concessions and the parking lots?

They did ask the homeless guy if Watson is guilty what more do you want

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Parking lot attendant has conducted an extensive investigation into the matter and has it on good authority that Watson has always paid for his parking. High character for sure.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

King Hong Kong posted:

Parking lot attendant has conducted an extensive investigation into the matter and has it on good authority that Watson has always paid for his parking. High character for sure.

Don't make Randy Moss go back to his old self.

Or Joe Mixon, or several other players who have assaulted parking attendants/cops. Turns out a lot of guys really don't like those people.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The Browns paying Watson a shitload of money is awful, but I’d like to remind people once again that structuring big contracts with minimal salary in the first year is 100% standard: everybody wants a signing bonus, and advancing them as much of their first year’s salary as you can is not only painless, but actually has cap advantages.

Now the CBA should probably account for that, but it doesn’t, probably because for obvious reasons it’s rare to give a huge contract to someone you know is about to be suspended.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

rjmccall posted:

The Browns paying Watson a shitload of money is awful, but I’d like to remind people once again that structuring big contracts with minimal salary in the first year is 100% standard: everybody wants a signing bonus, and advancing them as much of their first year’s salary as you can is not only painless, but actually has cap advantages.

Now the CBA should probably account for that, but it doesn’t, probably because for obvious reasons it’s rare to give a huge contract to someone you know is about to be suspended.

Minimal salary in the first year, sure.

1 million though?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Minimal salary in the first year, sure.

1 million though?

That is minimal?

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1505643319048777729?t=vaYdwkqkf6YY8cn9AWw1lw&s=19

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Reads like they ambushed him at the airport and tossed him in the back of a van lol

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
They gave him the chili

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That is minimal?

Technically 705k is but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i was asking in this post about hayden hurst but nevermind i remember this guy. he sucks rear end