Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Welp, I was supposed to get my Deck today, but Parcelforce are useless fucks and never even attempted to deliver it despite it being marked as out for delivery. Have to hope they'll actually try on Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Veotax posted:

Welp, I was supposed to get my Deck today, but Parcelforce are useless fucks and never even attempted to deliver it despite it being marked as out for delivery. Have to hope they'll actually try on Monday.

Sounds like they got the parcel, looked at it and said "Hey, this needs to go into the queue for 24 hours before we deliver". It's crazy considering how many packages these places have to sort through a day.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I dunno', maybe. But it was out for delivery the whole day, I was given an hour slot and could even track the truck on the map for that hour (it never moved from the spot).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Veotax posted:

I dunno', maybe. But it was out for delivery the whole day, I was given an hour slot and could even track the truck on the map for that hour (it never moved from the spot).

that means it caught a scan but didn't actually go out for delivery, the spot was probably the shipping center

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
"gamepass will never come to steam deck"

About that:

https://twitter.com/CJGluckstein/status/1504874456300154884?t=VOVpdhrhvJ-jpXPaHwgtnA&s=19

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They mean gamepass where you install the game locally. Streaming was never going to be an issue because MS has worked on making sure the streaming part works on as many devices as possible.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Streaming runs on Azure so of course they want it everywhere. It's still an MS platform.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

From a video I saw of Halo Infinite running via Cloud Streaming, it looks like it only eats up like 8.5 Watts, so it's great on the battery and massively increases your library if you're okay with streaming games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slsqf3PyzcY

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

My Deck has 20gb of the NVME taken up by “Other” and keeps growing. I think it’s games’ validation files, whatever that means, when games download bits of stuff after you play them? I guess it could be save files?

I’m not sure but it’s kind of A Problem, or will be sooner than later.

e: uninstalling a 20gb game from my SD card brought down the Other data on my internal NVME by like 750mb. What in the world. Is that save data? Some sort of drivers or something?

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 19, 2022

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Soul Glo posted:

My Deck has 20gb of the NVME taken up by “Other” and keeps growing. I think it’s games’ validation files, whatever that means, when games download bits of stuff after you play them? I guess it could be save files?

e: uninstalling a 20gb game from my SD card brought down the Other data on my internal NVME by like 750mb. What in the world. Is that save data? Some sort of drivers or something?
Could shaders take up that much space?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Switch to desktop mode, install Filelight, and find out. Note that "shaders" also includes transcoded audio and video files for the games that use Microsoft codecs that Valve hasn't implemented because of patents.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

This is pure speculation I don't know for sure, but could it have something to do with proton? I remember some companies releasing old NES games that should be less than 3 mb but ended up being 300 mb each due to how they were packaging and emulating them. Maybe there's a similar situation with proton where it has a bunch of duplicate files for each title it has to configure or something.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Like, this is bad because if you go with the smallest system, a 64gb storage situation, with the idea that you will just throw a terabyte card into it and call it a day, each of those games you install on the SD will require some amount of space on the internal storage anyway.

JazzFlight posted:

I have no earthly idea. It must be something to do with Proton/Steam OS if games on the expandable storage require data on the internal to run correctly though, I guess?

Dramicus posted:

This is pure speculation I don't know for sure, but could it have something to do with proton? I remember some companies releasing old NES games that should be less than 3 mb but ended up being 300 mb each due to how they were packaging and emulating them. Maybe there's a similar situation with proton where it has a bunch of duplicate files for each title it has to configure or something.

I know dick about Proton or Steam OS but looking at the storage itself in the settings, the Proton installs show up as "games," and are accounted for in the breakdown of space. This Other poo poo is just in the ether somewhere in the storage.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Fantastic, I received my Deck this morning and I need to RMA it. L3 doesn't work, the system doesn't register clicking the left stick in the system software (doesn't light up when pressed in control diagnostics) or in game.

I've updated the system to the latest firmware, powered off and restarted the system, done a factory reset and then tried again without updating. Still not working.
Also Steam Support is throwing up an error when I try to submit a ticket.

Hopefully it's not going to take too long to get a replacement, once Steam lets me make a ticket.

EDIT: Managed to make a ticket in Chrome rather than the steam app

Veotax fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 19, 2022

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Speaking of SD cards, the one I got causes the deck to not boot when it's inserted so that's fun. Just stays on the deck icon indefinitely. Pulled the card and hard reset and it works fine

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

DoubleT2172 posted:

Speaking of SD cards, the one I got causes the deck to not boot when it's inserted so that's fun. Just stays on the deck icon indefinitely. Pulled the card and hard reset and it works fine

You could try reformating the sd card to some kind of linux file system like ext3 on another computer and see if that helps.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Veotax posted:

Fantastic, I received my Deck this morning and I need to RMA it. L3 doesn't work, the system doesn't register clicking the left stick in the system software (doesn't light up when pressed in control diagnostics) or in game.

I've updated the system to the latest firmware, powered off and restarted the system, done a factory reset and then tried again without updating. Still not working.
Also Steam Support is throwing up an error when I try to submit a ticket.

Hopefully it's not going to take too long to get a replacement, once Steam lets me make a ticket.

EDIT: Managed to make a ticket in Chrome rather than the steam app

poo poo, sorry to hear that. I was able to lodge a ticket on the app when asking for them to clarify the deliver, so hopefully they will get you sorted out soon enough.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Dramicus posted:

You could try reformating the sd card to some kind of linux file system like ext3 on another computer and see if that helps.

This has to be the problem, I'll look into it, thanks!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Someone mentioned to me that their FF14 Proton shader cache is nearly 5GB

It'll vary widely between different games depending on how the engine is designed though

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sounds like the system is a disaster. Time to cancel the preorder

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nintendo valve is doomed

also nintendo is still doomed

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

repiv posted:

Someone mentioned to me that their FF14 Proton shader cache is nearly 5GB

It'll vary widely between different games depending on how the engine is designed though

Are shaders something that can be optimized and shrunken down or is this just the nature of the beast? Because god drat, I have a 512GB in reserve and a 1TB MicroSD on hand but it would suck if a substantial amount of space is taken up by shaders. I guess I'll just have to learn to roll with the punches.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Just play vampire survivors. No shaders, problem solved.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Dramicus posted:

Just play vampire survivors. No shaders, problem solved.

It CHUUUUUGS in the last few minutes

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

It CHUUUUUGS in the last few minutes

Does the "Play with Experimental Lag fix" launch option do anything to help that?

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Got mine yesterday and spent most of the time playing Elden Ring on my PS5 via Chiaki. Good news is it worked great over streaming and wasn't bad at all to get set up. I played for about 3 and a half hours over streaming and it looked like there was an hour and a half left, and I had my brightness maxed out, so this thing does streaming pretty well from a battery perspective (also felt better from a latency perspective than remote play on my iPad or other devices).

Golashes fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 19, 2022

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Samopsa posted:

After Q2 people should now get a Q3 date confirmed on the order page if they apply!

Just got caught up on the thread and learned that I'm in the Q3 crew. Thank you!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Golashes posted:

Got mine yesterday and spent most of the time playing Elden Ring on my PS5 via Chiaki. Good news is it worked great over streaming and wasn't bad at all to get set up. I played for about 3 and a half hours over streaming and it looked like there was an hour and a half left, and I had my brightness maxed out, so this thing does streaming pretty well from a battery perspective (also felt better from a latency perspective than remote play on my iPad or other devices).

Wait, so you're using the Steam Deck like a Vita for Playstation Remote Play? That loving owns.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Volte posted:

It's not really that true, Stack Ranking (the system that pitted employees against each other which I guess is what the comic is trying to show?) was Ballmer's galaxy brain idea that he copied from General Electric. It was dropped the second he left. https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/compensation/pages/stack-ranking-microsoft.aspx
"Your team met all their goals but other teams did better (or observably better), so we need to let some people go." so... if you want to stay there you'd better spend time talking up your achievements to your bosses boss.
Which leads to all sorts of insanity, of course.

You can search for complaints about Valve's stack ranking system.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Looks like Valve really made the right choice in going for the weaker CPU + stronger GPU combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3ZM4NXk9v8

The steam deck basically trounces the aya neo that has a CPU that's roughly twice as powerful.

I'd imagine the Aya is going to be better at emulation though.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

sigher posted:

Wait, so you're using the Steam Deck like a Vita for Playstation Remote Play? That loving owns.

It's exactly like that and it kicks rear end. It's even better since the sticks are full size and you have full triggers/back buttons etc. The only very very minor downside is it doesn't play nice with the overlay so you have to launch it via desktop (I imagine this is probably going to be the case with a bunch of emulators and whatnot)

Golashes fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 20, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Looks like Valve really made the right choice in going for the weaker CPU + stronger GPU combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3ZM4NXk9v8

The steam deck basically trounces the aya neo that has a CPU that's roughly twice as powerful.

I'd imagine the Aya is going to be better at emulation though.

Yeah I watched this last night and its pretty drat impressive how powerful the deck really is at such a lower TDP and price.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Anyone else had issues getting the onscreen keyboard to show up in desktop mode? It works remarkably well when it appears, but sometimes it just refuses to open when pressing Steam+X.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Haven’t games been gpu bound for the last 13 years? Why would a mobile device focus on the cpu :wtc:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

Haven’t games been gpu bound for the last 13 years? Why would a mobile device focus on the cpu :wtc:

It’s easier, and cheaper, to flex with a cpu than engineer an affordable mobile gpu into your thing

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah steam essentially came up with theirs on their own and the Neo is using an off the shelf part.

It’s still a good part just not as good as the steam alternative.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

Because they literally don't have a choice. They cannot afford to commission AMD to design them a custom SoC like Valve did, so they're forced to use off-the-shelf parts, and are bound to whatever configuration those use. Intel and AMD both favor CPU over GPU in their products, so that's how it goes.

Valve is really coming at the market with every unfair advantage they can leverage. Which is fine for the most part, it's certainly good for the consumer to have such a cheap and efficient option, but lol at Valve's claims that the steam deck will somehow help foster competition instead of bury it. There's really no way to compete with the steam deck at all as a third party except to rely on the fact that Valve can't make them fast enough.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 21, 2022

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Because they literally don't have a choice. They cannot afford to commission AMD to design them a custom SoC like Valve did, so they're forced to use off-the-shelf parts, and are bound to whatever configuration those use. Intel and AMD both favor CPU over GPU in their products, so that's how it goes.

Valve is really coming at the market with every unfair advantage they can leverage. Which is fine for the most part, it's certainly good for the consumer to have such a cheap and efficient option, but lol at Valve's claims that the steam deck will somehow help foster competition instead of bury it. There's really no way to compete with the steam deck at all as a third party except to rely on the fact that Valve can't make them fast enough.

Boutiques still won't be able to compete with the Deck on price, but won't the new mobile Rembrandt APUs outperform Van Gogh in both CPU and GPU?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Ah okay; didn’t realize the only off the shelf options only come in that config. Valve must have spent so much money on this project it’s insane to think about what a gamble it must have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The custom APU in the Steam Deck is really only 1 generation ahead of the off-the-shelf parts. In theory, we should see competitor models that match or out-perform the Steam deck by the end of 2022. I imagine Valve won't be sleeping and will continue to leverage their relationship with AMD, but in 6 or so months, the only real advantage of the Steam Deck will be price.