Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
A tale of somebody figuring something out that made me laugh

https://twitter.com/roxiqt/status/1504465015939735552?s=20&t=02RFvBq9ZkiAULo0VgPtvQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

phrase "now I've heard everything" continually grows more pertinent in my life

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

credburn posted:

I've never felt more aligned with people than when in like 2004 we all collectively turned on Homestar Runner.

You mean in favor of Strong Bad, right? :toughguy:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lmao

https://twitter.com/selfishshelf/status/1504579422837305358

And also lol

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

It never occurred to me that "beaucoup" (bookoo) was spelled like that, I thought it was just a made up word that I would have tried to spell "bookoo" cause it was made up and didn't have some fancy way to spell it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Shifty Nipples posted:

It never occurred to me that "beaucoup" (bookoo) was spelled like that, I thought it was just a made up word that I would have tried to spell "bookoo" cause it was made up and didn't have some fancy way to spell it.

Yeah I always thought it was "buku bucks"

Well, until I learned otherwise obviously, but before that

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's more like bow koo, with the last syllable rising and bow rhyming with "oh" or "throw" instead of rhyming with "plow." As a Hollywood thing beaucoup bucks yes it's generally mispronounced bookoo because the people who made it a thing were idiots.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Or they learned the word from watching Full Metal Jacket.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Did this come first or the Malcolm in the Middle scene?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Less something I figured out and more something I just learned.

Basically what was described as the most expensive home movie ever made, Roar. Just imagine 140 untrained animals, most of them big cats (Lions, Tigers, etc..). Tippi Hedren and her then husband trying to kill themselves, Hedron's daughter (Melanie Griffith), and other cast and crew by wild animal. And filming it.

It's got OKish reviews, but not as a movie so much. it's an abject failure at the things that make movies actual movies. Apparently, it captures the attention at a primal level, much like a horrific car wreck. You can't turn away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roar_(film)#Injuries_and_set_damages

quote:

Noel Marshall was bitten through the hand when he interacted with male lions during a fight scene; doctors initially feared that he might lose his arm. By the time he suffered eight puncture wounds on his leg caused by a lion which was curious about his anti-reflection makeup, Marshall had already been bitten around eleven times. He was hospitalized when his face and chest were injured and was diagnosed with blood poisoning. Marshall was also diagnosed with gangrene after being attacked many times. It took Marshall several years to fully recover from his injuries. During a promo shoot in 1973, Hedren was bitten in the head by a lion, Cherries, whose teeth scraped against her skull.

God. drat.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to watch this or not.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Mar 21, 2022

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
I learned you don't have to run your hot tub constantly. You can turn it off sometimes, and turn it back on later and it'll take some minutes to heat up but bam, back to normal,

No wonder our cheap hot tubs kept breaking down after a year or so

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

I learned you don't have to run your hot tub constantly. You can turn it off sometimes, and turn it back on later and it'll take some minutes to heat up but bam, back to normal,

:stare:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

:psyduck:

Have you noticed a change in your electricity bill?

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
Kinda makes sense now why they didn't want to tell us about that important fact, so it would eventually break down sooner and have to be replaced or whatever. I didn't know anyone else with a hot tub that would've even let me in on this secret, nor was it mentioned much in media depictions. I never saw an on/off switch so.... :shrug:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Lmao

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I mean they have thermostats right? You just keep it around 50 or 60 or 70 depending until you're ready to use them.

They should be "on" during the winter obviously so they don't freeze, although I'd guess the freezing point is lowered by the chlorine or bromine.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Apparently you can turn the oven off when you're not cooking something? News to me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Baron von Eevl posted:

Apparently you can turn the oven off when you're not cooking something? News to me.

But how else am I supposed to heat the apartment??

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

If you're British there's a chance you actually can't.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of my permaflushing toilet!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of my permaflushing toilet!

My old apartment had water included in rent. After the first time they didn't fix the running toilet I said gently caress it and we just learned to deal.

They want a high water bill they can have a high water bill

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

At least two people I know have hot tubs and refuse to ever turn them off, it's definitely a thing that people believe

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Shifty Nipples posted:

I actually thought "beaucoup" was just the ironic way of spelling what wasn't actually a word :O

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

credburn posted:

I actually thought "beaucoup" was just the ironic way of spelling what wasn't actually a word :O

French threw out the perfectly good word they had for "a lot" and decided to replace it with "beautiful blow"

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
beaucoup is a perfectly normal french word, spelt perfectly normally (for French)

What I have not yet figured out is: where are so many of you (presumably) Americans hearing it in a context where it is not obviously a French word? Do people go around saying just that, and why?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Phosphine posted:

beaucoup is a perfectly normal french word, spelt perfectly normally (for French)

What I have not yet figured out is: where are so many of you (presumably) Americans hearing it in a context where it is not obviously a French word? Do people go around saying just that, and why?

US Vietnam War movies used the term a lot. In Jacob’s Ladder Tim Robbins’ character says he’s going off in the jungle to take a dump and Ving Rhames’ character says “Professor’s got boo-koo shits”

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
The popcorn song was released in 1969

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wait till you find out that "skosh," as in "a small amount" ("needs a skosh more salt") is a similarly bastardized form of the Japanese word "sukoshi," pronounced (nearly) identically.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cat Hassler posted:

US Vietnam War movies used the term a lot. In Jacob’s Ladder Tim Robbins’ character says he’s going off in the jungle to take a dump and Ving Rhames’ character says “Professor’s got boo-koo shits”

I assume it's also used in places like New Orleans

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cat Hassler posted:

Probably even more memorable in Full Metal Jacket when the Vietnamese sex worker and the black marine have a discussion about how "beaucoup" a black guy's dick is.

"Boo-koo dinkydow" was a culturally illiterate interpretation of "beaucoup dien cai dau", a French -Vietnamese phrase meaning "too crazy" apparently used by street traders

Failed Imagineer has a new favorite as of 12:54 on Mar 21, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hirayuki posted:

Wait till you find out that "skosh," as in "a small amount" ("needs a skosh more salt") is a similarly bastardized form of the Japanese word "sukoshi," pronounced (nearly) identically.

Yeah as chock full as English is of loanwords from European nations it's always fun to find ones that are a. Non-european and B. not related to the donor country's culture, like words for foods or important people. Like, I can absolutely see how "tycoon", "honcho" and "typhoon" wound up getting borrowed, but why the word for "a little bit"? And why do I associate it so much with a Wisconsin accent?

"Bookoo" in the Vietnam war sense is pretty obviously due to Vietnam's history of being colonized by the French prior to the war, making it a - a double loanword? It's weird to me that it didn't get picked up by GIs in WW2 or postwar France, but, well, English is weird.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Carthag Tuek posted:

I assume it's also used in places like New Orleans

To say that New Orleans influenced R&B would be a massive understatement. I think it was less Nam and more black music entering the mainstream.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gung-ho is also borrowed from Chinese in a weird way.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

credburn posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've seen it here on the forums a few times and thought "what the hell is that word" for a moment before moving on and forgetting about it.

I don't watch war movies and have not seen Full Metal Jacket so I probably picked it up through cultural osmosis or whatever.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I dunno, my wife and I use "merci beaucoup" regularly with each other, along with things like "danke schoen" and "gracias."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

I dunno, my wife and I use "merci beaucoup" regularly with each other, along with things like "danke schoen" and "gracias."

Yes, it's a very common word, but Americans are apparently very bad at knowing even a single word of other languages than English or mayyyybe Spanish.

"No can do" is a very direct translation of a Chinese expression

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Proteus Jones posted:

Less something I figured out and more something I just learned.

Basically what was described as the most expensive home movie ever made, Roar. Just imagine 140 untrained animals, most of them big cats (Lions, Tigers, etc..). Tippi Hedren and her then husband trying to kill themselves, Hedron's daughter (Melanie Griffith), and other cast and crew by wild animal. And filming it.

It's got OKish reviews, but not as a movie so much. it's an abject failure at the things that make movies actual movies. Apparently, it captures the attention at a primal level, much like a horrific car wreck. You can't turn away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roar_(film)#Injuries_and_set_damages

God. drat.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to watch this or not.

Just watch Mack and them react.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaSkO4TosYo

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't know much about how French words are spelled so if the word in that phrase is the same as the word I thought was buku/bookoo then I just figured something else out.

e: by which I mean that I never thought about how merci beaucoup was spelled or how many individual words it is, like the "bow koo" could have been two words for all I knew

Shifty Nipples has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Mar 21, 2022

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

coo coo ca choo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Psycho killer, keskessay