Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ethiser posted:

Devolution is supposed to be 30 DLC according to found files.

has there been any news on more DLC at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Light Gun Man posted:

has there been any news on more DLC at this point?

Yeah it feels like it's been a while. Wasn't the most recent patch in mid-feb?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

RBA Starblade posted:

I remember that mostly but forgot he stormed heaven and killed God, apparently

I'll lol if that's the reason Hell is invading

Technically, he mind controlled the entire collective unconscious to block Charles' plan, which destroyed just the abstract, Philosophy 101 idea of "God as collective will of mankind" God that Chuck was trying to tap into, not an actual deific figure.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Did he kill the collective unconscious? I know he used it to kill his parents, which would otherwise be impossible/very difficult considering one of them is immortal and the other can jump bodies...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SRW just says he "killed God" lol, maybe an exaggeration

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Did he kill the collective unconscious? I know he used it to kill his parents, which would otherwise be impossible/very difficult considering one of them is immortal and the other can jump bodies...

I don't think he killed it, but I'm gonna be honest, I have no idea what actually happened with that whole section of the show. It's all a bunch of nonsense.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It'll never happen but it would be fun for the AU manga Nightmare of Nunnaly to make it into a game someday

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Hellioning posted:

He didn't kill the collective unconscious.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

RBA Starblade posted:

What the hell happened in Code Geass I apparently forgot half of it when it was on adult swim

Most of what's relevant is stuff that happened in the final arc of the show.

Schneizel (one of Lelouch's brothers) told the Black Knights about Geass, so they turned against him. Lelouch ran off to Brittania with Suzaku and started Geassing people with the command "become my permanent mindslave", letting him become an absolute dictator instantly as he enslaved a bunch of the military and then used them to start murdering any opposition that wouldn't come close enough to get Geassed.

Meanwhile, Schneizel built a giant flying fortress loaded with nuclear missiles, with the intention of flying it to space and ruling the world forever with the threat of dropping nukes on anyone who disobeyed him. Everyone hated Lelouch worse, so the Black Knights and their allies teamed up with Schneizel to go to war against Lelouch's Brittania, and they had one big final showdown that ended up with Lelouch taking control of the nuke fortress.

With Lelouch as the new absolute dictator of the entire world, he did all sorts of reforms while mind-controlling or executing anyone who disagreed with those reforms, until Suzaku showed up in a Zero outfit and murdered him in public. This turned out to be something they'd planned the whole time: While thoroughly purging the political classes and other entrenched interests who opposed him, Lelouch would go out of his way to make sure he would become such a brutal despot that everyone in the entire world hated more than anything, and then Suzaku would kill him. Since everyone was using all their hate on Lelouch, his death meant that people no longer had anyone to hate, so they wouldn't have any interest in fighting anymore and could immediately attain world peace, dissolve their militaries, and spend the money on ending poverty instead. Or something like that. Makes perfect sense, right?

In SRW30, this plan brought about total world peace for roughly one year, after which the usual SRW mix of alien attacks and rebel groups started cropping up and destabilizing things. But that's why everyone thought Lelouch was dead at the start, and why he was remembered as a villain on par with Char.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Vizuyos posted:

In SRW30, this plan brought about total world peace for roughly one year, after which the usual SRW mix of alien attacks and rebel groups started cropping up and destabilizing things. But that's why everyone thought Lelouch was dead at the start, and why he was remembered as a villain on par with Char.

What's funny is that they specifically say that it was the Laplace Box incident that ruined the peace. Between the Axis Shock and the death of Lelouch, the world finally knew peace (aside from the Wulgaru but they weren't at Earth yet) until Unicorn Gundam happened and then people started killing each other again.

Edit: I admit, I might be oversimplifying it...but it's funny to me this way.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Vizuyos posted:

It was Lapace's Box in 30 that really ended the peace. While in Unicorn, finding out that the Federation had been suppressing their original charter mostly got a "huh" from the public, the 30 version just kicked up all kinds of hornet nests.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Hellioning posted:

Lelouch just mind-controlled the collective unconscious to remain separated, maintaining human individuality and free will. Charles had been planning to merge all consciousnesses so everyone always knew what everyone was thinking so nobody could ever lie or keep secrets ever again.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ethiser posted:

I'm mostly waiting for Dancouga of all things, because Z3 did it insanely dirty and it's still owed an HD appearance

The others that got left behind are also owed HD appearances but Dancouga got directly referenced in 3.1 and still never showed up, rip.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Yinlock posted:

I'm mostly waiting for Dancouga of all things, because Z3 did it insanely dirty and it's still owed an HD appearance

The others that got left behind are also owed HD appearances but Dancouga got directly referenced in 3.1 and still never showed up, rip.

They knew they didn’t have the technology yet to render the fist bump in HD.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ethiser posted:

oh hell yes, that was my intro to the whole franchise. Dare I ask what else is allegedly coming down the pipe if those files are correct?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

secretly best girl posted:

oh hell yes, that was my intro to the whole franchise. Dare I ask what else is allegedly coming down the pipe if those files are correct?

Shinkalion, VOTOMs, and the Majestic Prince movie.

If I wasn't so burned out on 30, I might be interested.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
Just picked this up! I'm totally new to the series, and pretty new to mecha in general. I feel a little overwhelmed by all the numbers, especially when characters have like 4 different weapons that barely seem different in any meaningful way. What should I be paying attention to? Where should I be focusing my upgrades? How much freedom do I have to use the characters I like (or will I end up using pretty much everyone)?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MonstrousMouse posted:

Just picked this up! I'm totally new to the series, and pretty new to mecha in general. I feel a little overwhelmed by all the numbers, especially when characters have like 4 different weapons that barely seem different in any meaningful way. What should I be paying attention to? Where should I be focusing my upgrades? How much freedom do I have to use the characters I like (or will I end up using pretty much everyone)?

For upgrades, smaller units like Mobile Suits and Gundams need mobility, while Super Robots like Mazinger need Armor. Everyone needs some accuracy. You should try to get the units you like up to five upgrade levels in everything as soon as you can, because they unlock a unique bonus there.

For character stats, don't worry about increasing their numbers directly, but every skill is good. Some standout skills are preemptive Strike, Spirit Endurance and Break Morale Limit.

You're mostly free to use whoever, sometimes units are force deployed on maps, but otherwise you can use whoever, the game is easy enough that you could field the entire Shrike team the whole game if you wanted.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Good candidates for sinking resources into are your Original Pilot and their unit (they're always pretty good), Uso and whatever suit he's in (dude's pretty high tier), Amuro Ray and whatever unit he's in (Amuro Ray isn't a loving legend for no reason), and the Mazingers and Getters are also good choices. There's a lot of considerations and specifics I'm glossing over here, but I'm assuming you don't want a detailed step by step investment plan, just a basic "where the hell do I start."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The experience curve is also pretty generous, so if you have to (or decide to on a whim) deploy someone you haven't used much, they'll usually catch up their levels quickly with just a little feeding, especially if you use the effects that double experience for a kill.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Quoting myself from earlier on stats

WrightOfWay posted:

Big list of stats:

Pilot stats:
CQB: Damage with weapons with the fist icon
RNG: Damage with weapons with the crosshair icon
SKL: Affects crit rate, chance to block with a shield and some skills
DEF: Affects damage taken
EVD: Affects evasion
HIT: Affects hit rate

Morale: Affects damage dealt and defense, unlocks more powerful attacks and some skills and mech abilities.

Mech stats:
HP: HP
EN: Energy, used for many attacks as well as small amounts used for moving in space and flying
Armor: Affects damage taken
Mobility: Affects evasion
Sight: Affects hit rate

Terrain ranks: Affects evasion and hit rate while on that terrain type. Weapon terrain ranks affect the damage they deal to enemies on that terrain type. Goes from S as the best to A, B and C in descending order.
Size: Smaller units have increased evasion and hit, decreased damage and defense. Larger units are the opposite. S means small, M means medium and L means large, with numbers in front of S and L for especially small and large units, respectively.

For upgrades, you can't go wrong with 5 ranks in all the mech stats of anything you want to use frequently. That unlocks a custom bonus unique to each mech which is normally worthwhile, plus 5 in everything is often all you need as far as survivability and accuracy goes. After that, more EN is good for almost everything and you can always bump up survivability stats if needed. Weapon upgrades are absurdly powerful so feel free to dump a bunch of money in them.

For skills, everything has some use but you can't go wrong with maxing out Potential, Fighter's Spirit and Break Morale Limit. Hit and Run is also basically required for making units with bad Move and Fire (the green gun + arrow icon) attacks like Battleship Captains keep up with the rest of your units. Buying CQB and RNG stats is probably the ~optimal~ use of Pilot Points but that's boring and the game is not hard enough that you need to do that.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I think side missions dump a whole pile of CQB/RNG upgrades on you as well, I've never applied them to anyone but I think I have hundreds of each

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

One of the AOS upgrades gives you a CQB skill part after every mission, and another gives a RNG skill part after every mission. That's probably where they came from.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hunter Noventa posted:

You're mostly free to use whoever, sometimes units are force deployed on maps, but otherwise you can use whoever, the game is easy enough that you could field the entire Shrike team the whole game if you wanted.

This is legitimately true, because I absolutely loving hate J-Decker and his bootleg Decepticon friends and so I make a point of not using them, have legit never spent a cent on their upgrades. I just had a mission that forced their deployment and by running in circles + using a Spirit when cornered to tank, they lived until reinforcements came and then it became a standard mission.

Without character spoilers, this is where my MC is compared to those dudes, and the mission was still clearable in one try

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

MonstrousMouse posted:

Regarding attacks, most of them are different in some of these ways:

-Range: attacks have minimum and maximum ranges that can vary pretty widely, and longer-range attacks can help you position better for the opponent turn
-Post-move: Attacks with the green icon can be used after you move, ones without have to be used when you don't plan on moving (or, if you have the Hit and Run skill on the pilot, you can move afterwards).
-Morale Requirements: Some attacks, usually the powerful finishing ones, can't be used unless the pilot's morale is at a certain level. Morale starts at 100, and attacks can be locked until morale 110, 130, or rarely 140; Participating in battle and getting kills raise morale, and there are spirit commands, pilot abilities, and supporter effects that can make it a lot easier to get it high even on the first or second turn of a battle.
-EN Cost/Ammo restrictions: Attacks generally either have a cost in EN or a limited amount of ammunition. You usually don't have to worry about this but really strong attacks often take a lot of energy or have only a few shots per map unless you resupply them with a unit that can do that. There are pilot skills that can make these even less of a restriction.

But really it's all about seeing the robots do the cool things they do in the shows, only now you get to tell them what to do and who to do it to

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

In a bit of a last minute surprise, SRW competitor Relayer is getting a physical release in the West. The downside is that it doesn't launch until May 20th and is exclusively offered through Video Games Plus in North America and Red Art Games in Europe. It drops next week on the PSN. The demo is out now on PS4 and PS5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHDfTFJxv1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIKbtjJTvkU

I'm happy about this. I was just planning on pre-ordering the digital version on Friday then punting the purchase of the JP physical release (which has English) down the line to when I'm in Tokyo so this helps me a bit!

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
My biggest complaint about the demo is that the voice audio quality is so low that it's painful to listen to, like PS1 era bitrate bad. I'm really hoping that the final release cleans it up a bit.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Policenaut posted:

In a bit of a last minute surprise, SRW competitor Relayer is getting a physical release in the West. The downside is that it doesn't launch until May 20th and is exclusively offered through Video Games Plus in North America and Red Art Games in Europe. It drops next week on the PSN. The demo is out now on PS4 and PS5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHDfTFJxv1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIKbtjJTvkU

I'm happy about this. I was just planning on pre-ordering the digital version on Friday then punting the purchase of the JP physical release (which has English) down the line to when I'm in Tokyo so this helps me a bit!

I'd be more jazzed but all the advertising I've seen for this game is PS exclusive

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Siegkrow posted:

I'd be more jazzed but all the advertising I've seen for this game is PS exclusive

It was originally announced as coming to PC. I'm guessing Sony has timed exclusivity.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

MonstrousMouse posted:

The game isn't especially difficult, so you don't need to worry too much about the numbers. It's very much a "watch your favorite mechs absolutely wreck poo poo together" kind of game, rather than a serious strategic challenge.

The gameplay is mostly a matter of resource management.

Every weapon consumes either ammo (each ammo weapon will have its own separate ammo count) or energy (each mech has a single energy count shared across all weapons on a unit). The more powerful weapons will usually have less ammo, consume more energy, or have slightly worse accuracy, so unless you have a way to refill your ammo/energy lined up (such as docking in a battleship or using a resupply unit), you might want to save your best weapons for the strongest enemies.

Every unit has a "Morale" stat that starts at 100 at the beginning of the battle and rises as they fight, with particularly big increases for getting kills. A unit's damage output increases with its morale, and your more powerful weapons and abilities will often require a certain amount of morale to be usable (but they don't consume morale, so you don't have to worry about using them).

Every pilot also has a number of "Spirit" commands that can give powerful effects, like "your attacks have 100% hit rate for one turn" or "your next attack does double damage" or "all enemies' hit rate is halved for one turn". They can be game-changing effects, and are practically necessary against bosses, but consume your pilots' Spirit Points (SP), which (in this game) recharge slowly during combat. So once again, it's a matter of rationing your points to make as much use of Spirit commands as you can while still ensuring you don't run out against elite enemies or bosses.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Alright another dumb question about 30 from someone who hasn't played many SRWs (or at least gotten far in them). Just before I stopped because of getting late, I was on a stage where one of the bosses flees at 50% HP but has a part, which usually means they drop it if you beat them. Do they need to actually be reduced to 0 HP to drop it, probably by soul/support attack shenanigans, or will they drop it on retreat, or is it just a tease that is buffing the boss that you can't get at this point?

The stage in question is Arbitrator, the final stage of chapter 7 if I read this right and the boss is Caruleum in his Gravalin, with an Aos Arc that would be really nice to have.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

The Golux posted:

Alright another dumb question about 30 from someone who hasn't played many SRWs (or at least gotten far in them). Just before I stopped because of getting late, I was on a stage where one of the bosses flees at 50% HP but has a part, which usually means they drop it if you beat them. Do they need to actually be reduced to 0 HP to drop it, probably by soul/support attack shenanigans, or will they drop it on retreat, or is it just a tease that is buffing the boss that you can't get at this point?

The stage in question is Arbitrator, the final stage of chapter 7 if I read this right and the boss is Caruleum in his Gravalin, with an Aos Arc that would be really nice to have.

Yeah, he has to hit 0 in order to get the part.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Egh... I guess I'll try for it next time. That thing has entirely too many HP but it's probably doable.

The Golux fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 21, 2022

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

The Golux posted:

Most goals of that sort are possible to reach in a first playthrough if you set things up right. IE, bringing your heavy hitters, setting them up together with support attack, getting surround bonus +10% damage by putting four units in the squares directly adjacent to the boss, using Analyze to further weaken the boss's armor, using Valor/Soul if you have it in the late game, using a spirit or supporter that guarantees crits for both attacker and support attacker, etc. The Smash Hit EX command stacks with other damage boosting effects IIRC.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
Thanks for all the advice! I'm starting to wrap my head around things, and while the game's pretty mindless compared to some other SRPGs I've played, my inner child is over the moon at seeing all the cool attacks I can make the giant robots do.

MechaCrash posted:

Good candidates for sinking resources into are your Original Pilot and their unit (they're always pretty good), Uso and whatever suit he's in (dude's pretty high tier), Amuro Ray and whatever unit he's in (Amuro Ray isn't a loving legend for no reason), and the Mazingers and Getters are also good choices. There's a lot of considerations and specifics I'm glossing over here, but I'm assuming you don't want a detailed step by step investment plan, just a basic "where the hell do I start."

I'd love to hear more specifics! I know it's totally unnecessary, but the minmaxer in me is already thinking things like "okay, Quattro's clearly not optimized for the Gundam he comes in, because he has an ability that makes him better within 4 spaces of an enemy and he has a sniper mech, so I'll need to switch some pilots around, but who should I have piloting what??" All I can confidently say so far is that GaoGaiGo is busted because it can one-shot anything with Hell and Heaven, and there are plenty of ways to cheat HaH's 90 energy cost.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Someone more qualified will have to give specifics, although as you've noticed, as long as you aren't flagrantly wasting resources on stupid poo poo like "maxing out the lovely Gunblasters you start with and then never deploying them," the game isn't that hard. Note that the "stupid poo poo" in my prior statement was the "and then never deploying them" thing; even the Gunblasters piloted by the Victory Scrub Squad can still perform if you throw enough money at them.

(also :goonsay: the Hyaku Shiki is not a Gundam because that refers to specific lines of mobile suits, even if it is descended from the failed Delta Gundam prototype)

There's also that minmax advice will depend on if you have the DLC and what order you do poo poo in. "Give Nu Gundam to CharQuattro" is a good play if you've got Amuro in Hi-Nu, but if you don't have Hi Nu then Amuro himself should probably be in regular Nu.

Plus most of the fiddly bullshit is in handing out the special parts, not who gets what machine. It's mostly the Mazinger and Gundam pilots who can switch machines around. You can do some other limited swaps, but the driving force there is mostly to see if anybody says anything fun, like "what if I put Daba in the Novel D-Sserd" or whatever.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

MonstrousMouse posted:

I'd love to hear more specifics! I know it's totally unnecessary, but the minmaxer in me is already thinking things like "okay, Quattro's clearly not optimized for the Gundam he comes in, because he has an ability that makes him better within 4 spaces of an enemy and he has a sniper mech, so I'll need to switch some pilots around, but who should I have piloting what??" All I can confidently say so far is that GaoGaiGo is busted because it can one-shot anything with Hell and Heaven, and there are plenty of ways to cheat HaH's 90 energy cost.

Gridman's Hyper Agent ability gives him a damage and accuracy boost after he defeats 5 units on the current map, so I pumped him up so that he could easily kill grunts to activate that, and then it turned out his later-game upgrades make him an absolute grunt-wrecking monster. He's basically the only unit that ever really has to worry about running out of ammo, since most mechs are energy-based or have more than enough ammo, so there's no harm in throwing your Cartridge on him so he can refill his heavy attacks. Though by the mid-game, you probably won't even need that.

While you'd normally want to make the Geass units dodgy since they're pretty squishy, Suzaku's Curse of Geass gives him the effects of maxed-out Potential, which buffs you heavily as you lose HP. So it's not a terrible idea to keep his Mobility low and let him get hit a couple of times (preferably by weaker enemies). You may want to increase his armor and/or HP to give yourself more of a safety margin for getting him hit without getting him dead, but once you get the Potential running, it buffs evasion rate and reduces damage taken so he'll get much more resilient as his health drops.

And as a side note, giving your pilots a few levels of Potential is much more effective in this game than in most other SRW games, because knowing in advance whether your pilot can take a hit without dying (and having the ability to see that and decide whether to cast spirits before taking that hit) makes it a lot easier to safely knock your mechs down to low HP levels. It's not even that expensive, either; one level of Potential is one of the cheapest skills, and the cost doesn't ramp up with more levels.

EDIT: Also, I highly recommend doing the secret to get Supporter Boss (after Mazinger Z gets the Mazin Power upgrade, destroy two units before the end of the stage). Most secrets don't really matter, but Boss is insanely busted, one of the best supporters.

Vizuyos fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 21, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unfortunately, while hyaku shiki isn't particularly great and quattro can do better in most gundams, he is stuck with it whenever he is force deployed. if you don't mind swapping him back and forth each time this happens, there are several extra victory gundams up for grabs.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Vizuyos posted:

While you'd normally want to make the Geass units dodgy since they're pretty squishy, Suzaku's Curse of Geass gives him the effects of maxed-out Potential, which buffs you heavily as you lose HP. So it's not a terrible idea to keep his Mobility low and let him get hit a couple of times (preferably by weaker enemies). You may want to increase his armor and/or HP to give yourself more of a safety margin for getting him hit without getting him dead, but once you get the Potential running, it buffs evasion rate and reduces damage taken so he'll get much more resilient as his health drops.

If you want to get kind of silly with Suzaku, Curse of Geass stacks with Potential 9. So at max level it's 99% damage reduction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Vizuyos posted:

Gridman's Hyper Agent ability gives him a damage and accuracy boost after he defeats 5 units on the current map, so I pumped him up so that he could easily kill grunts to activate that, and then it turned out his later-game upgrades make him an absolute grunt-wrecking monster. He's basically the only unit that ever really has to worry about running out of ammo, since most mechs are energy-based or have more than enough ammo, so there's no harm in throwing your Cartridge on him so he can refill his heavy attacks. Though by the mid-game, you probably won't even need that.

I would say to not rely too much on Hyper Agent in the early game, as feeding Gridman five kills a stage means five less kills going to the rest of your squad, and you really want to get everyone in your main team Aced sooner rather than later.

Once everyone you use has hit Ace/G.Ace, however, go nuts.