Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
I wonder how charls would have reacted if max managed to pass him after the first pit stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
my favorite genre is watching the people running the mclaren fb page go from hyping everything to :smith: in the space of a day

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

learnincurve posted:

loving Martin Brundle is his failson and jollyon palmer’s loving manager is all you need to know about how we ended up here, without Davidi on the F1TV commentary.

I miss Jolyon "big jo" palmer. He was win

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Rhopunzel posted:

my favorite genre is watching the people running the mclaren fb page go from hyping everything to :smith: in the space of a day

No anti-McLaren posting in the worst thread!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Zedd posted:

Nobody denies Jos loving sucks tbh.

i know op, i was just replying to a post that wondered why max is so aggro and unlikeable.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
I woke up still lolling about yesterday. Eat poo poo Horner

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Until Merc fix their engine to the point that Are Lewis can get in there once again, I have to reluctantly give the following statement...

Essere Ferrari, may big Sharl keep the frog faced cheat from gaining another ill gotten championship.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

jazzyhattrick posted:

Until Merc fix their engine to the point that Are Lewis can get in there once again, I have to reluctantly give the following statement...

Essere Ferrari, may big Sharl keep the frog faced cheat from gaining another ill gotten championship.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 21, 2022

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
First year of F1 since I started watching it that I had absolutely no idea about the new car developments/rules/testing/drama before they actually started racing yesterday.
Family member in hospital and a loving war in Europe will do that I guess. Though the distraction was nice. The cars look great, but I'll have to get used to these 17 inch wheels.
It's also great to see very different designs, something that will probably disappear next year or even this season when they figure out what works and what doesn't.
Race was ok too, a couple of things annoyed me: They don't show the tire changes in the HUD? Or not very often?
And were there no camera crews in the constructor area filming Wolf or sweet schadenfreude from Horner? Maybe I missed it, was drinking some beers/trying to dog sit.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Big Dick demon energy

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

mrfart posted:

And were there no camera crews in the constructor area filming Wolf or sweet schadenfreude from Horner? Maybe I missed it, was drinking some beers/trying to dog sit.

Part of the new regs is to limit team managers' ability to create drama during the race. Maybe the race broadcast director has been told not to focus on them either.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CbVgamkFuIA/?utm_medium=copy_link

Gyanyu seems like a nice humble lad to me :unsmith:

I was impressed with his on track performance as well, some decent moves, solid and unafraid driving. That 10th place was definitely on merit and not by lucking in on a good SC position or anything. Glad he seems to be at least okay, and not some fail pay driver.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
After sleeping on it I’ve come to the following conclusion:

Lmfao Red Bull

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

cgfreak posted:

I was impressed with his on track performance as well, some decent moves, solid and unafraid driving. That 10th place was definitely on merit and not by lucking in on a good SC position or anything. Glad he seems to be at least okay, and not some fail pay driver.

Yeah I was positively surprised. Competent driving, went wheel to wheel with Lewis at one point (lol), managed to more or less stick with Bottas' pace, no spins or shunts. Probably a drat good deal for Alfa Romeo all things considered

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

mrfart posted:

Family member in hospital and a loving war in Europe will do that I guess. Though the distraction was nice.

I think I enjoyed it at least twice as much because of the distraction from horrible poo poo factor.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Never thought I'd be happy with a Ferrari 1-2, but here we are. The Monaco-Italy anthem combo has to be the jauntiest combination going.

Mercedes are going to be satisfied that they're not as far off the pace in race trim and they're back in contention when they can sort out their known issues. Putting 27 points on Red Bull and a smaller deficit than expected to Ferrari could be big later on in the season.

McLaren seem to have got the worst track and conditions for their issues I think, and their tyre choices only made it worse. Heads are going to roll if they're no closer to fixing the issues after Saudi and Australia.

Everyone seemed to get caught out by the new tyres and the track temperature being higher than expected, and I think Pirelli's decision to go with the hardest possible set of compounds is a mistake they may not make again.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

cgfreak posted:

Yeah he did much better than I expected, and given he was one of them without a late race fastest lap on softs he was really close on actual pace to Bottas.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tsaedje posted:

McLaren seem to have got the worst track and conditions for their issues I think, and their tyre choices only made it worse. Heads are going to roll if they're no closer to fixing the issues after Saudi and Australia.

At least in Dan's case, he mentioned in the interview after the race that they got to use all three compounds and do a full race distance, so I think they knew early on they weren't fighting for points and treated the whole event as a test. I'm not sure they can do a huge amount before Saudi or even Australia but hopefully they at least know what the problems are.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

Lmfao Red Bull

after sleeping on it I've come to the conclusion I need to watch this race again today.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Thanks Ants posted:

At least in Dan's case, he mentioned in the interview after the race that they got to use all three compounds and do a full race distance, so I think they knew early on they weren't fighting for points and treated the whole event as a test. I'm not sure they can do a huge amount before Saudi or even Australia but hopefully they at least know what the problems are.

I don't know, the scary thing is all their messaging since the race has been 'welp we're in the poo poo, gonna be a long hard climb back up, thanks for sticking with us!'

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Zhou did really well for his debut, though in my heart I wish Mick had held on to 10th and got points just to see Guenther's radiant joy/elated swearing.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Red Warrior posted:

I don't know, the scary thing is all their messaging since the race has been 'welp we're in the poo poo, gonna be a long hard climb back up, thanks for sticking with us!'

If this is the case, how the hell did they gently caress up so bad? It's crazy that they're so far back compared to the other high-end midfielders.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

Lmfao Red Bull

Surely they're sandbagging unreliability, but even so couldn't have been easy for horner to press his "blow up all my cars" button

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah that's why I said after Saudi and Australia, there's a minute chance if they've managed to diagnose exactly what the issue is, that they could rush out parts for those races, but there's no guarantee their first attempts will work. Same for Mercedes. The long season is the best thing in their favour right now.

Gasly will obviously be down a PU already, hard to know if Red Bull's issues triggered safety cutoffs and protected their engines. Looks like there's going to be a lot of engine penalties in the final stretch at this rate, especially if the E10 fuel is to blame for Red Bull and is one of the things holding back the Mercedes powered teams.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Every other team got a whole test at this track to optimize their car for it whereas McLaren got basically nothing done, plus they had to run an obviously less than ideal interim brake duct solution. I'm surprised it was this bad but not super surprised it was a bad weekend.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I hope at least one of the two Red Bull cars (ideally Max's) DNFs every race this season, frankly.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Ferrari is running the barcelona car. Their first major upgrade will be on Autralia, also they have more wind tunnel time.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Tsaedje posted:

Mercedes are going to be satisfied that they're not as far off the pace in race trim and they're back in contention when they can sort out their known issues. Putting 27 points on Red Bull and a smaller deficit than expected to Ferrari could be big later on in the season.

I don't see this. They lucked out with the safety car and whatnot this race, else it would've been a pretty poo poo outing for them. The hard tyre choice granted was weird, but I don't think that Merc has the pace to keep up with the RB/Scud in a straight line. The engine changes to the eco fuel may have hosed them. The car was also still porpoising like crazy with full fuel load.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/HaasF1Team/status/1505898111054532618

:unsmith:

e: Forza Haas

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
before the sc mercedes was like 30 seconds behind. they didnt have pace

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
re-watching the race and just got to the part where Sharl absolutely played Max like a fiddle, not once, not twice, but three times.

loving owned.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Diet Crack posted:

I don't see this. They lucked out with the safety car and whatnot this race, else it would've been a pretty poo poo outing for them. The hard tyre choice granted was weird, but I don't think that Merc has the pace to keep up with the RB/Scud in a straight line. The engine changes to the eco fuel may have hosed them. The car was also still porpoising like crazy with full fuel load.

They've lucked into better damage limitation than expected until they can fix some of the other issues is what I was saying.

They weren't as much off the pace in race trim as they are on low fuel single lap runs, but still over half a second off the pace. But if they can get a handle on porpoising, that could be worth more than half a second from what some of the other teams have said, which brings them back into being competitive.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

re-watching the race and just got to the part where Sharl absolutely played Max like a fiddle, not once, not twice, but three times.

loving owned.

Yeah it was like "hey max, you know how he keeps getting you into T4?"

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Tsaedje posted:

They've lucked into better damage limitation than expected until they can fix some of the other issues is what I was saying.

They weren't as much off the pace in race trim as they are on low fuel single lap runs, but still over half a second off the pace. But if they can get a handle on porpoising, that could be worth more than half a second from what some of the other teams have said, which brings them back into being competitive.

Yeah, it's still early days. I'm just glad to see the end of Mercs running 40s down the road within 2 laps. The previous V6 hybrid era to this can get in the loving bin.

Might actually get some racing this season for once.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
All of the praise of the new regs and how great they are for racing is guranteeing at least 20 boring races this year.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

better than 22 boring races I guess.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Diet Crack posted:

Yeah it was like "hey max, you know how he keeps getting you into T4?"

To be fair, they didn't broadcast the radio response to that - where Max essentially said I know, but I can't stay close enough through T1 to make a pass at T4.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

TrueChaos posted:

To be fair, they didn't broadcast the radio response to that - where Max essentially said I know, but I can't stay close enough through T1 to make a pass at T4.

If he'd like.. not tried to dive up the inside and just followed in he'd be right on his gearbox. It seemed like Max was just raging and not actually thinking about how to get past. He was also eating up his tires into that corner - T4 was a little more forgiving and in my view it might have been easier to tow into T1, stay behind and brake earlier and let the Scud go deeper then get a good exit and set up for T4 on his tail.

Max seemingly kept forcing the issue because the RB was such a rocket down the main straight that the opportunity always presented itself

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
It wasnt the fuel pump

https://twitter.com/LappedCars/status/1505874469872619522