Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

Anyone else had issues getting the onscreen keyboard to show up in desktop mode? It works remarkably well when it appears, but sometimes it just refuses to open when pressing Steam+X.

it's literally never worked for me to press STEAM+X in desktop mode, I assumed it didn't work and hooked up a wireless keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

edit: nevermind, this was wrong due to me misreading some specs

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 21, 2022

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's literally never worked for me to press STEAM+X in desktop mode, I assumed it didn't work and hooked up a wireless keyboard

I think you need to have the desktop Steam client running. If that doesn't work, then I dunno.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
There's also a virtual keyboard you can install under accessibility in the Discover app. But really at this stage with it right now you should probably just use a Bluetooth keyboard in my opinion - the desktop mode in general seems wonky.

Has anyone had success syncing an Xbox controller via bluetooth? I got my Switch one to work but it didn't play nice with my XSX controller. It found it, but when I clicked to sync it the controller kept doing the slow flash it does when it can't find what it's synced to (weirdly, Steam saw it as rapidly connecting/disconnecting while it was blinking). The controller syncs up to other devices fine.

Golashes fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 21, 2022

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Yeah you need the desktop steam app running for it to work, but even then it's extremely flaky. I think sometimes it does open, but it's covered by whatever window you have open so it's invisible.

I'd agree that you're best off installing a separate on-screen keyboard or using a Bluetooth one at the moment.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Hello Monday, is this my Monday?

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Today was my Monday! Finally got that email.

Has shipping generally been pretty quick? Or am I most likely to have two more weeks to wait?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Two weeks to Q2 let me be in first wave please!!!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

untzthatshit posted:

Has shipping generally been pretty quick? Or am I most likely to have two more weeks to wait?

Yay same here! :)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Woo!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

untzthatshit posted:

Depends on where you're located. They ship via FedEx Ground from Carol Stream, IL. After completing your order, there's a 24-hr period in which you can change the delivery address or cancel the order altogether. If you checked out within ~30 min or so, the label will get printed Tuesday and FedEx will pick it up Wednesday. If you wait until later in the day, the label won't get printed until Wednesday and it won't get picked up until Thursday. Obviously, if you wait a couple of days, you can push the date out however long you waited to complete the purchase.

If you're in IL or a neighboring state, you can expect delivery before the end of the week. East and west coast will have to wait a bit longer. Provinces in Canada seem to be getting the shaft and FedEx is delivering them in closer to 2 weeks. Maybe people in Ontario are getting it a little faster, but I doubt it.

Assuming you check out ASAP on Monday, follow the line that says "If picked up on Wednesday..."
Assuming you check out later on Monday or early Tuesday, follow the line that says "If picked up on Thursday..."
Assuming you check out later on Tuesday or early Wednesday, follow the line that says "If picked up on Friday..."
Assuming you check out shortly before the reservation expires, follow the line that says "If picked up on Monday..." while understanding that it won't be shipped out until a week after the email was sent.

Despite what people are posting on sites like reddit and resetera, know that you cannot have FedEx hold the package for you at another location. Valve and FedEx negotiated rates for the cheapest shipping option possible. No signature required, no redirection available, nothin. If you're in an area like I am where the FedEx person sits in the truck and fills out door tags before even attempting deliveries, you'd best be ready to camp outside and scout for the truck because once it gets returned to sender, you're SOL and get kicked back to the end of the line.

If you're in EU, they ship from the Netherlands and I know nothing beyond that.

Does Valve really expect to have the rest of the Q1 orders sent out next week? It seems like they're going to have to send as many 512GB units out next week as they did during the entire month of March to fulfil the remaining outstanding Q1 reservations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
On the west coast I ordered it Monday when I got the email and received it on Wednesday the next week.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Bloodplay it again posted:

If you're in EU, they ship from the Netherlands and I know nothing beyond that.

usually logistics within EU mainland are 3-5 business days, but idk if thats true for the Deck too. Got my mail today, hope it means a (working) Deck by the end of the week.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
My deck arrive today.

So far so good.

I have to work, but that's fine. I'll just let it charge and download some stuff until I'm done.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I ordered last Monday, it arrived last Friday, so about 5 days sounds right. I'm in the UK.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Yay, also got my email!

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Bloodplay it again posted:

Does Valve really expect to have the rest of the Q1 orders sent out next week? It seems like they're going to have to send as many 512GB units out next week as they did during the entire month of March to fulfil the remaining outstanding Q1 reservations.

Apparently so.

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1505954371929997312?s=20&t=ldu2lofhcrgP2NwSPRR09A

Either they released very few 512GB models this week, or there was a glut of orders that all got processed around the same time, because my queue time was less than 30 seconds away from the orders last week.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Nice of them to assure everyone that the end of Q1 is in fact next week and not Valve Time.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Well, my fault for not knowing poo poo about Linux I guess, but I was very surprised that Windows wouldn't read the SD card I formatted in the Deck. Didn't know Linux had it's own file system Windows couldn't read.
Eventually managed to get the stuff I wanted onto my Deck by way of USB stick, but that was more steps than I thought it would be.

Update on my RMA, Valve responded to my ticket on Saturday evening, asked for my phone number so they could call me for troubleshooting before sending out a replacement I guess. Gave them that and the best times to call me, no response yet though.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Veotax posted:

Well, my fault for not knowing poo poo about Linux I guess, but I was very surprised that Windows wouldn't read the SD card I formatted in the Deck. Didn't know Linux had it's own file system Windows couldn't read.
Eventually managed to get the stuff I wanted onto my Deck by way of USB stick, but that was more steps than I thought it would be.

Agreed on this. I got the SD card formatted but i don't have a cable to connect my portable drive to the deck to transfer my emulator roms, and of course windows won't recognize the SD card now that's it's formatted for Linux

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Can you set up an FTP server or SMB network share on your Windows computer? Steam OS should be able to connect to both of those.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I checked my reservation and I've gone from "after Q3 2022" to "Q3 2022".

Seems like people are, indeed, canceling their preorders. As should you!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

DoubleT2172 posted:

Agreed on this. I got the SD card formatted but i don't have a cable to connect my portable drive to the deck to transfer my emulator roms, and of course windows won't recognize the SD card now that's it's formatted for Linux

Veotax posted:

Linux can read fat32 and I believe even ntfs. So just stick with windows and both will be able to read it fine. Linux has lived in the shadow of windows especially in the desktop environment that while it has its own preferred file system, it can read/write fat32 and I believe ntfs. For future information to others here as well.

Sad it is that way, but for removeable media, sticking to fat32 is a universal way for it to work in whatever device be it windows, camera, 3d printers, or linux.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Framboise posted:

I checked my reservation and I've gone from "after Q3 2022" to "Q3 2022".

Seems like people are, indeed, canceling their preorders. As should you!

Why what happened

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Impermanent posted:

Why what happened

Its a total let down. A complete piece of trash. Didn't you hear the goons posting before, it can't emulate anything and its barely powerful enough to run any games at all!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Linux can read fat32 and I believe even ntfs. So just stick with windows and both will be able to read it fine. Linux has lived in the shadow of windows especially in the desktop environment that while it has its own preferred file system, it can read/write fat32 and I believe ntfs. For future information to others here as well.

Sad it is that way, but for removeable media, sticking to fat32 is a universal way for it to work in whatever device be it windows, camera, 3d printers, or linux.

FAT32 and NTFS aren’t good file systems though and the performance won’t be as good as a native Linux file system, especially FAT32.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Earlier I noted that whatever default setup the SD card had stopped the deck from booting when it was inserted so I moved to the linux filetype

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Quixzlizx posted:

Can you set up an FTP server or SMB network share on your Windows computer? Steam OS should be able to connect to both of those.

SMB share on Windows is a good move.

Syncthing, mentioned earlier, takes a little bit more setup but it's really cool and will sync across the Internet just fine too.

Or enable SSH on the Deck and use SFTP from Windows... although I have no idea what the authentication situation is on the Deck, ssh keys should work.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I am super loving surprised at the amount of stuff that just works out of the box on the deck.

I might start seriously consider switching to Linux on my desktop when Windows 10 goes EoL.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Currently you have to use ext3 on sd cards for the deck to autodetect it and set it up as a library available in game mode. You can change this by editing some of the shell scripts it uses for automount, but if you know enough to do that you probably didn't need to read this post.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Dramicus posted:

I am super loving surprised at the amount of stuff that just works out of the box on the deck.

I might start seriously consider switching to Linux on my desktop when Windows 10 goes EoL.

Inshallah by then it should be even better, too. I've been thinking the same thing.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

NRVNQSR posted:

Currently you have to use ext3 on sd cards for the deck to autodetect it and set it up as a library available in game mode. You can change this by editing some of the shell scripts it uses for automount, but if you know enough to do that you probably didn't need to read this post.

When I plugged my card in, a little icon popped up at the top which was selectable. I clicked it and it brought me to the system settings page where it didn't say what to do, but I scrolled down a bit and I assumed I should hit the "format sd card" button. I haven't checked if that worked yet, I'm installing a bunch of stuff.

Edit: for what it's worth, the icon has since disappeared. So, that means it worked? I dunno. I'll see about moving stuff to the sd card after it finishes downloading.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 21, 2022

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Dramicus posted:

When I plugged my card in, a little icon popped up at the top which was selectable. I clicked it and it brought me to the system settings page where it didn't say what to do, but I scrolled down a bit and I assumed I should hit the "format sd card" button. I haven't checked if that worked yet, I'm installing a bunch of stuff.

Edit: for what it's worth, the icon has since disappeared. So, that means it worked? I dunno. I'll see about moving stuff to the sd card after it finishes downloading.

Yep, that's all correct; the Steam Deck UI will automatically format it in the right way. There are only potential problems if someone formats the card on another computer or in desktop mode and sets it up in a way the Deck doesn't expect.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Dramicus posted:

This was gaben's plan all along

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Just as keikaku.

Edit: Hey this thing is really cool. It can handle risk of rain 2 while downloading and installing other games no problem. It's just overall way better than I was expecting, I'm totally spoiled with this.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 21, 2022

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
The review we've all been waiting for:

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/21/1087856528/review-heavy-buggy-steam-deck-wins-over-a-nintendo-switch-fan

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

heavy, buggy

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Dramicus posted:

KDE Plasma is genuinely pleasant to use imho.

And it has some cool effects!

https://i.imgur.com/VUOo8iS.mp4

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
When steam os 3.0 officially launches I'm definitely going to load it for dual boot on my desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Antigravitas posted:

KDE Plasma is genuinely pleasant to use imho.

And it has some cool effects!

https://i.imgur.com/VUOo8iS.mp4
Now that takes me back to 2005