Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

By popular demand posted:

There has to be a niche for weird masochistic BTL chips, possibly those are less addictive than the common stuff.
also on lower than true BTL level there has to be pain intensifiers/diminishers for every kink level.
For some reason, youtube apparently doesn't have the opening to Strange Days (1995). Pretend I linked it here (and go watch that movie if you haven't already)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Alive! Update! Happy holidays or just generally chill late December if you don't celebrate any!

(I tried out having more side-by-side combat images to make things more concise, but lemme know if I just made things harder to follow instead)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 23 - Tomb Raiders

We've successfully looted our way through the museum, and this bossy sign will not be keeping us from continuing or work down at the dig site itself which contains the tomes we're hunting for. Somewhere.

Supposedly something weird's been going down in here, but only there's plain ol' tunnels in sight so far. A hole in the ground's blocking the way west, so we'll start by following the path to the south.

Someone's been doing some bleeding here, but worker safety doesn't seem very high on the list of priorities here based on what we read upstairs, so it's always possible someone just took a rock to their unprotected head or something. More importantly...

Look at that, only started and halfway there already. In a movie this'd be the part where we tried to read a passage aloud and ended up conjuring up some ancient daemon or another, but we don't get paid extra for those kind of detours so we'll just pocket this and go look for the next one.

The largely featureless tunnels eventually turn back north again, and following them takes us to what appears to be an area for hauling goods out of the dig site.

There's also a terminal without direct means of access, so it seems it's finally time for Is0bel to show what she's being paid for, other than blowing people up with bombs of course.

NEW MUSIC:

(We finally get a new Matrix theme to go with the mechanical revamp! Let us give thanks to Runners Eternal for its long service.)

The Matrix has gotten a fresh new coat of cyberpaint and looks all kinds of snazzier now, with cubes of all shapes and sizes looking to be the hottest cybertrend of 2056.

Is0bel's cyber-spellbook is a balanced set of more or less everything you need to bust through pesky IC. This is not even remotely as relevant as it used to be however, as combat is no longer the central mechanic in cyberspace.

Instead, Hong Kong decking is first and foremost about stealth. Instead of hostile IC popping out of nowhere for the decker to fight in what was basically a less fun version of normal combat, it is instead populated by "Watcher IC" patrolling predetermined paths with their lines of sight indicated by the lit-up area in front of them.

Being spotted by one initiates turn-based combat mode and accumulates some Trace. Alarmed Watcher ICs can't attack, but they do move around on their patrol lines, and will accumulate further Trace if the decker remains in their line of sight. It's worth nothing that this refers to actual in-game line of sight which extends quite far, not just the small lit-up area in front of them.

Only the individual Watcher that spotted the decker is alerted, so beating it up will resume normal stealth operations provided the decker wasn't spotted by another Watcher while at it. It's also an option to take advantage of the turn-based mode to just bolt for one of the gates leading to a different "room" which also resets Watchers back to chill patrol mode. Unalerted Watchers keep moving on their predetermined paths even in combat, but only on the enemy turn.

If the Trace bar fills up then the jig is up, all the Watcher IC vanish for good and the less pacifistic IC come out to play instead. These are usually the traditional digital damage dealing White IC we all know and love (although they look way cooler now) but depending on the individual Matrix section's predetermined System Response Level (read: difficulty level), can also go up to the more dangerous Black IC which can deal physical damage to the decker themselves, or even hostile deckers. Unlike Watcher IC, combat IC will follow the decker from room to room so once triggered they basically have to be dealt with.

That's about the size of it. Whether this new system is an improvement or not depends largely on how much you mind stealth sections in games, but at least failure doesn't instantly send you back to the start or anything like that.

The second area of this Matrix section has three Watchers, two in large loops and a third in a smaller one in the west. It's a bit hard to see in still zoomed-out images, but the patrol lines are visible on the floor with the corners/ends where the IC pause briefly marked by white dots. One well-timed dash MS Painted here for clarity gets Is0bel through them without any problems.

Here she finds those sweet data nodes every decker loves to get their cyberhands on, but their security has also seen some upgrades since ye olde times as they're now guarded by cybergates known as Blocker IC.

Blockers can be dealt with in two ways, by purposefully taking a pretty big Trace hit to basically cybersmash them open, or by hacking them like a nerd which a decker is by definition anyway.

Hacking a Blocker IC consists of two phases, the first one a basic memorization minigame which requires repeating a given number sequence correctly. The main things to keep in mind here is that the sequence must finish before you can input it, and that while this can be repeated with increasingly longer sequences up to 8 times to increase the time limit for the next section, this is in no way necessary and only the first one is required to proceed.

There have been horror stories of people misunderstanding this and always going through all 8 sequences for every single node and they presumably consider this the worst game ever made. Doing it once nets you an achievement though!

The second phase requires finding a symbol sequence from a list of 10 which matches the one at the top of the screen, the trick being that only parts of the top sequence are visible at any given time. Picking the wrong one gives a 5 second penalty and re-randomizes the selection, but the time limit is pretty lenient even with zero repeats of the first phase. Better decks give more time, and the new Decrypt line of programs also add +0.5/1/1.5 seconds to the Delay (amount of time the rotating symbols stay visible) which at higher levels basically just shows the answer.

Incidentally this is all explained pretty succinctly in the in-game Help menu, if you realize/remember there's an in-game Help menu.

Ultimately the actual hacking is much quicker than explaining it as the whole thing can be done in some 20 seconds (though YMMV of course) so unless something unusual comes up, it'll be skipped in the LP in the future.

As a final note, should Trace hit maximum and combat IC come out and all that business, Blocker IC will be hostile as well and fight as immobile ranged attackers. In this scenario the only hacking the decker can do is hacking them to bits with their cybermagic.

It's our very first paydata! We can cash this in at a one-mission delay at our home computer, plus we even get a free Karma point for Is0bel's efforts.

The final Watcher that's on a much shorter loop guards the second node, but there's a long enough window to slip through while it's looking away and the central Watcher is busy elsewhere.

The second node contains one of the new Mage spells in Hong Kong, Wild Aim II which is like Aim II except it buffs the accuracy of two people in one go. The Aim line of spells' effects and durations were nerfed from the previous game but Wild Aim's efficiency still makes it very handy, which is why it's a shame its requirements of Spellcasting 5/Charisma 3 are not something Gobbet is going to be able to meet for a very long time. There is also no Wild Aim I, or III for that matter.

And that's that for Is0bel's first cyberadventure, there's no combat going as she didn't get spotted at any point, so she can simply jack back out on the spot without penalty or the need to IC slalom all the way back to the beginning.

We continue down the tunnel leading back to a larger central cave, and it's there that we spot the first sign of actual trouble after a remarkably peaceful journey.

Do you see that?

Is0bel, the day our eyesight gets bad enough to miss a roomful of monsters is the day we'd retire had we not gotten eaten by a roomful of monsters. As for what we're looking at exactly...

Veterans might remember Gargoyles as a minor obstacle the Dragonfall crew quickly rolled over on their way through the Harfeld Manor courtyard, but facing their double speed versions in Hong Kong with our well-oiled killing machine still lacking both its lubricant and most important parts makes them a lot scarier. Both their very wide-angle melee attack Claw Swipe and ranged one Noxious Breath deal both HP and AP damage to everyone they hit, the latter following it up with even more ongoing AP damage over time, legitimately making them one of the more dangerous enemies in the game which can ruin a whole crew's day in a single round with some bad luck.

Even after cracking through their 4 Armor and 50 HP (which is quite a bit at this level) their Death Cloud ability leaves behind HP-damaging fog as a final screw-you to melee in particular. We're definitely going to want to take out this thing immediately before it even gets to act if possible.

Mummified Corpses are much softer targets, with half the armor and only 20 HP. They only have one attack, Poisoned Ghoul Fist, which deals some minor damage and saps -2 Willpower and -2 HP on the following turn. Not much more than a distraction on their own, but they can crit-punch some AP away when you least expect it.

Preternatural Corpses are similar to their wrapped-up bretherin but with higher stats and the addition of the ranged spell Blood Bolt which deals some minor damage, strips a bit of armor and also gives the Corpse some HP regen for a couple of turns. The major difference is that these jerks' punches have the additional effect of transporting both the Corpse and the affected target away from the battlefield to a different dimension where they must be fought in a duel to the death in order to return to reality.

Seriously!

The good news is that the corpse realm versions have the much reduced base stats of a normal Mummified Corpse (though they still have access to Blood Bolt) so the main threat of their interdimensional mummy smacks is that it takes away a party member from the fight against the much more threatening Gargoyles.

Thankfully this is an ambush fight which are hugely advantageous, so we pop a few buffs and Is0bel says hello with a remote mine before engaging.

NEW MUSIC:

(Bad Qi serves as a common generic battle theme of the game which means you'll hear it quite often. The standard version is also up there as one of the chiller RPG battle themes around. The second loop in the included link is the combat wrap-up version which adds a bunch of extra kick to it, and is similar enough to the "intense" version that I won't bother including it separately.)

The battle starts off promisingly with Is0bel missing her second mine utterly and landing it directly at our feet instead. Real glad she isn't packing proximity ones in there right now.

We rush in hasted to stab the Gargoyle repeatedly for about 30 damage's worth, and Gobbet finishes both it and the Corpse off with a Poison Fog (which as a refresher always deals guaranteed 20 damage minimum). We get to enjoy a bit of poison fog of our own from Death Cloud, but it's well worth it to avoid giving the Gargoyle a chance to make a mess of everything.

Gaichu has the Shock Glove and goes for a Stun on the Preternatural Corpse in the corner, but the athletic cadaver dodges and he gets whisked off to an interdimensional journey instead.

There isn't any real danger for Gaichu to die to this thing barring exceptionally bad luck, but the Corpse's crit slapped an AP out of him so it'll take him a couple of turns to make his way back. The Blood Bolt is a crit too, but as seen here it's not a particularly dangerous ability.

While he's slicing his way to reality, the rest of the crew takes the otherwise quiet turn 2 to buff and reload in preparation for any further visitors.

On the third turn these appear in the form another Gargoyle and Preternatural Corpse from the west and a Mummified Corpse from the east. And everything was so quiet before too, seems the whole cave's coming out to party now that somebody got it started.

This trio could be a pain if the Gargoyle doesn't go down before it starts to run roughshod over our AP, so Gobbet evens the odds with a nearby summoning spot, also known as there's-going-to-be-a-fight-here-later spoiler sparkles.

This particular point conjures up the Shrine Spirit of earthly flavors, Avalanche. We saw the air version (Tempest) back in part 7 and as a quick refresher from then, shrine spirits summoned from predetermined spots are overall stronger than ones summoned by using consumables, notably having a large pool of 4 AP right off the bat and no risk of breaking free in exchange for sticking around only for a couple of turns.

Avalanche for its part is a pretty straightforward facebreaker, with a basic melee attack Stone Fist and a wide arc melee attack Smash which deals slightly more HP/AP damage but is on a 1-turn cooldown. These are backed up with the spells Petrify (reduces AP to 0 for 2 turns, 3 turn cooldown) and Rock Skin II (+3 Armor until end of battle, 2 turn cooldown).

This Petrify is not in the Dragonfall category of 99% accuracy god disables and the Gargoyle's high Willpower makes landing the spell on it pretty much a coin flip, but the more soft-brained Preternatural Corpse is an easy target.

This ends up working out great when the spirit proceeds to absolutely smash through the Gargoyle's 50 HP in a single turn with a pair of double damage crits. The air version's ranged AP draining probably makes it the stronger spirit of the two, but rock can clearly beat fake rock when it counts.

With the Preternatural Corpse too stoned to fight, we go clean up the Mummified Corpse before it gets its poison-dripping claws on anyone. Gaichu in the meantime has broken out of his otherworldly confinement, but he's dropped to the far east edge of the area far from the actual fight.

Not that there's much of a fight left, teamwork cuts down the Preternatural Corpse before it recovers and gets to take anyone on a new ride.

One more wave of enemies shows up on the following turn, but it's just a pair of Mummified Corpses who are realistically way late to get anything done by themselves. Points for participation though?

Avalanche smashes both of them to corpse pulp and that's that for that. We can count our blessings, things could've gone a whole lot worse if some of those Gargoyle crits had been misses instead.

Suppose that solves the mystery of what happened to the workers down here, including that chopped up fellow on ground there. Not much we can do to help them now though, instead we help ourselves to what looks to be the second of the two tomes we've been looking for.

Did you know these creatures were here?

No. I planned this run down to the last detail, but those monsters were a happy accident.

Not sure how your meticulous planning didn't account for the hordes of basement monsters.

It's a tomb. Things are bound to pop up, which, in your line of work, you should be prepared to handle. They also killed all the researchers, preventing these books from being cataloged. Finding them would have been a *lot* harder had these creatures not come along. Now, time's wasting. Security room's at the top of the stairs leading back into the museum floor.

[A click in your commlink, and he's gone again.]

People always have such confidence talking big from the safety of their offices... But whatever, the job's done, so barring any further surprises we should be pretty close to the finish line here.

Gah!

We have an awfully chatty corpse here, didn't notice much diplomatic efforts coming from those earlier bodies we cut through. Did this one use to be someone special by any chance?

Who are you?

I was an assistant to a great man. An emperor. I was meant to continue assisting him in the afterlife. But something was unsettled. Bonds were broken. He is no longer here, and I wish to search for him elsewhere. I want out of this tomb. I must free myself from this place. But... I cannot leave. My soul is bound within these catacombs, chained to the bones of a life that I no longer possess.

This place is bizarre. What is happening down here?

The books that you carry… they are alive. They protect themselves, distort space, and draw creatures to them who will serve. Our exalted had the will to contain them. Wherever you intend to send them, I hope that an equally strong mind will keep them under control.

Swell, all the more reason for us to hand these things over to our employer as soon as possible and make it their problem.

And you think we can get you out of here somehow?

Take this talisman and place it among the other artifacts you have removed. Once you have moved it beyond the binding threshold of this excavation, I will be free.

Let's say that I do this. What's in it for me?

The sure knowledge that you have done what is right.

...Sure you weren't the royal comedian or something? Even assuming we were some noble hero righting the wrongs of the realm and not a professional criminal in need of a paycheck, it's a little hard to see which part of a teleporting corpse asking us to give it a lift out of its haunted tomb is supposed to be the one that reassures us of the righteousness of this cause.

You're gonna have to do better than that.

When I am free, I will give you a thing. A token. Crumble it in your hands, and I will come to your aid... but only once. One time, and no more.

[The mummy's eyeless sockets seem to stare into you. Through you.]

Will this be sufficient, troll? Will you accept my offer?

And how do we know that we can trust you?

[There's a long pause.]

...You don't. How could you? But I am a man of my word.

Alright, pretty sure we're done here, we're not going to be responsible for unleashing some ancient corpse plague on Hong Kong or whatever just for a one-time call to Mr. Mummy who isn't even asking particularly nicely.

[Attack the mummy.] I don't think so. You're staying here.

Smarter than his bretherin or not, physically this mummy's no different from any other Preternatural Corpse and is stabbed to re-death in no time.

From the corpse's corpse we pick up a souvenir, the unique melee weapon Emperor's Sword!

Emperor's Sword is one of those items where the tooltip mixes up its base stats and its inherent ability for some reason. It does not in fact have a 2-turn cooldown, 10-range reach or 2 armor penetration (or even 5 damage) as those are the attributes of its unique ability...

Lightning Bolt: Deals +2 HP damage, +1 AP damage and pierces 2 Armor from a range of up to 10 tiles. Inflicts "Shock" which deals an additional 1 AP damage the following round. Cost: 1 AP. Cooldown: 2 RNDs.

The original tooltip actually just says "Lightning Bolt! Max range: 10" which is kind of funny but not very informative. At any rate Lightning Bolt is functionally a melee attack from medium range, meaning its accuracy and damage and whatnot are based on melee stats rather than ranged ones. Notably this includes the inherent AP damage of melee attacks, meaning it deals 1+1 AP damage by default which is enough to one-hit stun a standard enemy at this point.

A ranged HP/AP attack is a very nice ability especially for an otherwise melee-locked character, though sadly swinging the sword itself is pretty useless as it has a base damage of 3, meaning it's no stronger than the crappy Machete we started with. It's hard to say if this is intentional or not due to the mixed up weapon tooltip, it requires Close Combat 5 to equip which is the baseline for 5 damage weapons and it's kinda weird for one to basically be automatically obsolete by the time you can acquire it, but Lightning Bolt is already very potent and a higher base damage would make it even stronger, so it might just be a balance consideration. Either way the ability alone makes it a nice pickup.

With that unexpected distraction out of the way and a new sparkly mummy blade in hand, we return upstairs and to the small security room housing the terminal.

This is the one. Flip the switch on the bottom right, then plug in my datachip. The script will doctor the security logs so we can sneak you out.

Aye aye cap'n...

Yeah yeah, on our way to the door already.

Hey Drake, there would appear to be armed police at said door. You sure you handled the alarm and all that? Hello? Drake?

...Great.

Well, here we go again. The cops are here and they're clearly not in a talking mood, so we throw some Hastes around while Gaichu turns on his defenses and heads in first to greet the newcomers, shrugging off the otherwise impressively accurate shotgun blast from the Enforcer. Meanwhile the lightly-armed Guard has rushed into the room on his own seemingly with no real follow-up plan, the kind of move that probably explains why they didn't entrust him with anything more valuable than a shoddy handgun.

The first test of our new lightning blade misses its mark, but Gaichu's own glove-based version knocks out the wandering Guard for roughly all eternity.

His comrades likewise accomplish little beyond ruining the walls with fresh bullet holes.

Not all attacks lands as well as we'd like on our squad's side either, but Gobbet and Gaichu take down the shocked Guard while Is0bel greets the other two with one of her ever-reliable Remote Mines.

We rush the pair in an attempt to shave at least 1 AP off each, figuring it'd leave them both unable to attack after moving the following turn, but a 90% miss on the Captain leaves that plan only half-accomplished. Ah well.

We get scratched by a rifle bullet for our failure, but it's nothing a bit of post-combat recovery won't heal. The Enforcer spends his remaining AP to retreat without firing as expected.

Another stack-up means another mine to punish it, followed with us practically slicing the Enforcer in half. Even a cheap replica will do the job if you swing it hard enough!

The Captain's still kicking, but Lightning strikes and then Fells the Oak and that tree won't be getting up again either.

Still around are we? Thought for a moment you were in cahoots with these guys, sure is comforting to know this mess appears to stem from incompetence rather than malice.

Of course; a side door.

In the lobby. My program didn't work as well as I'd expected. I've been monitoring the exits on my cameras, and the HKPF have the front locked down. Since you can't go out the front now, you've got to exit out the side. That key will get you through the locked side door, which will take you out the east service exit.

If we screw up it's our lives on the line, but if our boss screws up... it's still our lives on the line. Feels like we've really come to understand the true spirit of shadowrunning today.

Can't help but notice there's HKPF over at the side door as well. At least we get the first move on them thanks to seeing them through the security camera.

Room's pretty big and they're all facing this way so we can't totally jump them like with the basement monsters, but Haste should let us and Gaichu close in pretty quick and none of these losers are nearly as threatening as Gargoyles anyway.

Another mine finds its mark and so does Gaichu's electro-punch, stunning the Enforcer even through the AP "padding" enemies get before their first action that makes them pretty stun-resistant.

Said padding does however prevent us from stunning the Sniper despite 2 AP damage normally being enough to do so. With this kind of initiative on our side it's not really a problem though.

Meanwhile in the back lines, Gobbet uses her consumable Force 2 Nature Elemental Fetish to summon the Nature Spirit, Primeval.

As a minor but kind of odd side note here, the consumable-summoned air spirit (Wind Dancer) that was shown off during the Walled City run is no longer available as Gobbet only has an Air Elemental Fetish in her inventory at level 1, after which she never gets it back again.

At any rate, Primeval is one of the fancier consumable-summoned spirits which includes Nature, Toxic and Abomination spirits (plus a few unique cases) and which aren't as readily available for purchase from Crafty Xu as the standard Air, Fire, Water and Earth variants. Primeval's basic melee attack is Cudgel which deals low HP and high AP damage but isn't very accurate, and it can also cast the standard accuracy buff Aim.

Those are nothing to write home about, but Primeval's real value is in its third ability which it immediately demonstrates to good effect, Mana Arc, a spell which deals both HP/AP damage and in addition bounces up to two nearby enemies, the first bounce having a longer range than the second. From level 4 on Primeval also gains the spell Pacify which is basically the same as the Mage disable Mind Wipe, causing the target to ignore all enemies for 1 or 2 rounds depending on spell rank.

The fact that Gobbet carries an auto-replenishing Nature Elemental Fetish makes Primeval the spirit you'll probably see the most. Assuming you remember to ever use crew consumables, of course.

The Guard scratches Gaichu with a pistol bullet on the first and only enemy turn, but there's no coming back for them from this kind of start.

Primeval claims the last blood and our way out is clear.

And that does it for our museum looting run! Ended up involving a bit more excitement than was planned, but the job got done and we did end up picking some pretty decent goodies for ourselves as well. Time to head home and drop off these haunted tomes before they cause us any more trouble.

This was a remarkably straightforward mission so there isn't much to show off here except accepting the mummy's deal:

Will this be sufficient, troll? Will you accept my offer?

(Take the talisman.) Okay, I'll do it.

Thank you.

[The mummy inclines its head.]

I will be forever in your debt.

Instead of the Emperor's Sword, this path instead nets you a unique consumable summoning fetish.

Uniquely terrible that is, the mummy spirit it summons is basically a Preternatural Corpse except without the melee attack, meaning the only thing it can do is cast a low-accuracy Blood Bolt with the wrong tooltip every three turns (or more often for the HP drain penalty which lets you bypass cooldowns). You could consider this your punishment for being silly enough to just let a mystery undead creature free for no real reason...

...but it's possible that the fetish summons a standard Preternatural Corpse (minus the melee attack that probably wasn't programmed to be player-usable) by mistake instead of the Mummy Spirit that exists in the files with much higher stats and a stronger set of spells.

But working or not, unless you just straight-up don't have a melee user in your party, the sword is still likely to be the more valuable reward since Lightning Bolt is very handy and not limited to a single use.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 29, 2021

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Welcome back! And bah humbug!

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
Hooray! Another excellent update. I had no idea the Emperor's Sword existed, so I took the 'easy' route of taking the talisman... and proceeded to never use it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Negative_Earth posted:

Hooray! Another excellent update. I had no idea the Emperor's Sword existed, so I took the 'easy' route of taking the talisman... and proceeded to never use it.

:same:

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
this is a very nice surprise. thanks Kanfy.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The most important rule of combat is to geek the mage, and the mummy was very obviously a mage, so there's no other way that could've or should've ended. :shrug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kith posted:

The most important rule of combat is to geek the mage, and the mummy was very obviously a mage, so there's no other way that could've or should've ended. :shrug:

:hmmyes: someone gets it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The proper response! Buddy, unless your master's name is Lung or Ryumyo, he's just as dead as you're about to be.

The ancient Chinese Master Sword is a nice get, too, even with the low base damage.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm glad it completely didn't matter I missed it, since I wasn't melee. Troll throwing is similar but not the same in the important way there.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Basically everything beyond this point will be new to me, but I was playing with commentary on, and there's a good one here:

They were playtesting the Preternatural Corpse fights for the first time, and one of the crew got hit and pulled into that pocket dimension or whatever, and he turned to the programmer and asked "Did you just punch me into another dimension?"

I think they also mentioned there's not really anything like that ability in regular Shadowrun.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Well, at least you don't need the mummy for a certain achievement.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dareon posted:

Basically everything beyond this point will be new to me, but I was playing with commentary on, and there's a good one here:

They were playtesting the Preternatural Corpse fights for the first time, and one of the crew got hit and pulled into that pocket dimension or whatever, and he turned to the programmer and asked "Did you just punch me into another dimension?"

I think they also mentioned there's not really anything like that ability in regular Shadowrun.

The phrase "Mummy Dimension" is just fun to say.

You got punched into the Mummy Dimension.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Can we have a competent contact next run? First the mummies and next the cops.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
The thread lives!

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Negative_Earth posted:

Could be worse, I took it and like a good little RPGer saved it all the way to the endgame where it went something like:

Me: Hahaha you did not plan for the fact that I have a secret weapon: a powerful mummy who will fight on my side! *summon mummy*
Mummy: *procedes to miss their one attack and die immediately*
Me:... i also have a sword

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Can we have a competent contact next run? First the mummies and next the cops.

Eh, that's about standard for a run in terms of unforeseen issues. Plus, with competent contacts you've got the additional problem that if they're planning on loving you over they might actually pull it off, whereas the incompetent dude who tries the same is basically just forfeiting whatever you where supposed to get for them and turning themselves into the target of your next run.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Honestly, this isn't bad at all for clusterfucks. I know we end up in worse jams thanks to our Mr. Johnsons.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hey, glad to see you back! And thanks for the update!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I don't remember ever seeing that teleport punch in action so I'm forced to conclude that in both of my playthroughs I either killed those mummies before they ever got to use the ability or it was so inconsequential that it might as well not have happened.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Probably the former. The mummy dimension punch is memorable when it happens.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's funny to me that Gobbet was glued to my party for a lot of the game and yet I only apparently used half her kit. This stuff about spirits is completely new to me.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

habeasdorkus posted:

Honestly, this isn't bad at all for clusterfucks. I know we end up in worse jams thanks to our Mr. Johnsons.

Yeah. We re-buried a few mummies and had to use a back exit. That's nothing compared to past milk runs leading to an insect spirit invasion or...well, the entirety of what happened in Dragonfall.

You always wish a run could go better but this is a pretty solid baseline for a Good Day as a shadowrunner.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The game isn’t over yet….

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

achtungnight posted:

The game isn’t over yet….

Wait, you mean there are runs in this game that go off without a hitch?

Completely unrealistic, I refuse to believe it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you learn to expect the unexpected, doesn't that technically mean every run goes off without a hitch?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
A run where you get paid, none of your teammates who care about their essence get maimed and you don't get an APB standing kill order put on you by local security is a good run.

Unfortunately our team here is ahead of things in terms of that last one.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I don't remember ever seeing that teleport punch in action so I'm forced to conclude that in both of my playthroughs I either killed those mummies before they ever got to use the ability or it was so inconsequential that it might as well not have happened.
I don't remember it either, but I played a Mage and didn't use Gaichu much, so the Mummies probably just decided to get into a ranged sniping battle rather than running up to dimension-punch me.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

A status update from the OP: We're still in business here! Clearly things were not progressing at an acceptable speed (and that's by my usual standards so you know it's bad) so LP's been on the shelf until I can focus on it properly again. I'll probably aim for shorter but more frequent updates once things resume, to avoid getting mired in working through the character limit hitting monsters which ended up being kinda draining with the, let's say, needlessly inflexible way I work on updates.

Anyway, thank you for your patience to those of you stubborn enough to have stuck around, see you soon(?)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the worlds going to poo poo its ok

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:same:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

I'm just glad to hear you're doing ok, Kanfy. Take your time.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This is an LP I could pick up a decade from now and still enjoy.

Seriously, please don’t take that long. Honest compliment, but still… ;)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

achtungnight posted:

This is an LP I could pick up a decade from now and still enjoy.

Seriously, please don’t take that long. Honest compliment, but still… ;)

By stretching this on for some 34 more years, I fully aim to provide that authentic real-time LP experience you all deserve.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Now that's dedication.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the worlds going to poo poo its ok

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Man, take your time. Real life takes precedence (he said, hopefully about to ditch work to finish some extras for an LP of a game everyone involved hates)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kanfy posted:

By stretching this on for some 34 more years, I fully aim to provide that authentic real-time LP experience you all deserve.

This is the cyberpunk future. You just can't see it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Quackles posted:

This is the cyberpunk future. You just can't see it yet.

We live in the cyberpunk world. It's just the shittiest, most boring and least neon-coloured one.