Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Edit- Duh, report button. Counter tweet.
https://twitter.com/enn_nafnlaus/status/1506269370179366928

quote:

Photographs from Lviv, Ukraine in which several Romani people are shown as bound with their backs against pillars and with green paint on their faces are being disseminated through social media along with the untrue claim that the individuals in the photographs are internally displaced people from Kyiv who were unjustifiably attacked by local Ukrainians immediately upon arrival in Lviv. However, as the Romea.cz news server has discovered, the actual context of the photos is something else.

The people are allegedly members of a group of pickpockets, and during recent looting in Lviv they were apprehended by vigilantes and treated in this unacceptable way. Russian propaganda is now claiming these photographs confirm that neo-Nazis are active in Ukraine.

"The people in the photos have been caught in Kyiv for pickpocketing several times. Their photos have been taken and shared by several groups that publicize such cases. In Lviv there is a group calling themselves ‘The Hunters’ who persecute Romani people involved in pickpocketing in public places," Julian Kondur, a young Roma activist from Ukraine, told news server Romea.cz.

"Russia is exploiting this to accuse Ukraine of allegedly being run by neo-Nazis. The images have been distributed on the Telegram social media company," Kondur added.

The Romea.cz news server has learned that Roma non-profit organizations from Ukraine have already asked the relevant Government authorities to respond to these cases and punish all those involved in illegal activity. Ukrainian Police have already identified several of the attackers who tied up the Romani people.

According to Kondur, it is very important that the competent authorities in Ukraine pay more attention than ever to eliminating hate speech and hate-motivated violence of this kind. "It damages our international image and creates opportunities for the [Russian] aggressor to manipulate it,” Kondur told Romea.cz.

About the source from Wikipedia

quote:

ROMEA is a Czech non-profit organization whose primary goal is to support the fight against racism , develop respect for human rights , and help develop democracy and tolerance in society . It is a public benefit company , which was established on February 1, 2014 by changing its legal form from an association. The ROMEA Association was founded on December 31, 2002 by Jarmila Balážová and Zdeněk Ryšavý, who is the director of the organization. The aim of the ROMEA organization is to contribute to the rehabilitation of the Roma and the Roma minority .

Edit- God awful snipe, drat it. Here's a map.

https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1506274657812553737

ummel fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ummel posted:

So how is this not brigading?

We'll take care of it. Please just report the post in the future and not drop it here.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

sean10mm posted:

It's like Qanon for boring people at this point.

It's this, yeah.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mans posted:

https://twitter.com/LaborwaveCCCP/status/1505988627498774530

After Russian speaking citizens, it's now Roma people being tied on the middle of the street and beaten.

"now" being in giant quotes of course https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2018/11/23/attacked-and-abandoned-ukraines-forgotten-roma

Cool account, what does that Z mean?

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
Roma tend to be pretty reviled and treated like poo poo everywhere in Eastern Europe (not that Western Europeans have good views of them either). This isn't a defence of it, but Russia (and frankly many NATO countries) aren't much better - Ukraine just has an added sprinkle of societal chaos and likely mob justice against real or imagined crimes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fatherboxx posted:

lovely account aside, this may actually be happening (and wouldn't be the first time this happens in war). But yeah, that twitter is suspect.

Capri Sunrise posted:

Roma tend to be pretty reviled and treated like poo poo everywhere in Eastern Europe (not that Western Europeans have good views of them either). This isn't a defence of it, but Russia (and frankly many NATO countries) aren't much better - Ukraine just has an added sprinkle of societal chaos and likely mob justice against real or imagined crimes.

Yup, old prejudices just surfacing again because of the hardship of war. Disgusting nonetheless.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
https://twitter.com/AshleyBurkeCBC/status/1506275327911378953

Guess that sniper wasn't killed in 5 minutes by superlative heroic Russian special forces.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

fatherboxx posted:

It means anti-fascist. Antifascists like Dimitri Utkin.

CommieGIR posted:

lovely account aside, this may actually be happening

This also isn't the first time that tankie twitter cooked up a lie about innocent people getting tied to poles to claim it's a war crime when it was actually looters and thieves caught by civilians.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

"Yes, they were hatecrimed but they were actually criminals" is not exactly a resounding rebuttal.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Not So Fast posted:

Here's the same thing from a BILD reporter if the Twitter source is bad.

A BILD reporter blurring faces? That's a new one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fatherboxx posted:

If the avatar wasn't suspicious enough. It could certainly be happening, we've seen this done to looters in Kyiv too. Add racism and there we go. I'm not sure the war is helping though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Xombie posted:

This also isn't the first time that tankie twitter cooked up a lie about looters and thieves getting tied to poles by civilians and to claim it's a war crime.

Also true.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
The article was from 2018, so could be related to the prior unrest, but not the current invasion.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

ummel posted:

Edit- Duh, report button. Counter tweet.
https://twitter.com/enn_nafnlaus/status/1506269370179366928

About the source from Wikipedia

Edit- God awful snipe, drat it. Here's a map.

https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1506274657812553737

Why do they put them in blackface?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

big drones are more immediately dangerous, because they can be carrying weapons. small drones are more difficult to detect, and the only thing they could be doing is spying on you, and the modern battlefield is full of devices that can spy on you. its also tough to do anything about a small drone once you detect it

it would be nice to have some way to spot and shoot down little observation drones but the amount of effort involved is too high for the payoff

I'll note there isn't a clean divide. Switchblades are pretty small! And the weaponized commercial drones like Ukraine is using are basically just observation drones rigged to drop grenades.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Cinci - thanks for editing my post, I was already asleep by the time you responded.

No problem. The post was borderline, and I was away from computer anyway - mobile app only allows editing, out of moderation tools.

Kaal posted:

If the expectation is that the Ignore function is supposed to replace moderation, then the field should be expanded because with all the reregs it quickly maxes out.

The expectation is that people consider using the ignore function in place of making bad posts out disinterest in letting moderation run its due course, or disagreement with the outcomes of it. It’s fair for every goon to expect that moderation does work - yet it doesn’t appear that all of them acknowledge that D&D-specific rules impose requirements not only on posters, but also on moderators, e.g., to treat your average post under assumptions of good faith. It’s fine to dislike or argue against this state of affairs, but this isn’t the thread for it.

madmatt112 posted:

Makes me wonder if Putin decided his hard on for war was finally worth acting on and he is specifically trying to (or *was*, before this clusterfuck) kick off a continental war, so that he - in his aggrandized and overblown opinion of himself and his state apparatus’ competency- can prey on the broken participants who are now super vulnerable to empire-absorption. Thus fulfilling his apparent desire to rebuild a Russian Empire 2.0

I don’t think the plan was to cause a continental war. I think the plan may have been to fracture EU/NATO along rhetorical fault lines, and then domino conquer Ukraine, Transnistria, Georgia, maybe parts of Baltics, Armenia, and Finland.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

the holy poopacy posted:

"Yes, they were hatecrimed but they were actually criminals" is not exactly a resounding rebuttal.

Believe it or not, "person who is stealing stuff" is not a protected class in any country.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xombie posted:

Believe it or not, "person who is stealing stuff" is not a protected class in any country.

They are in San Francisco, of you listen to the chuds

----

As for drones, there are some commercial solutions including microwaves (IIRC) and bigger drones with nets. How effective they would be against military tech, I don't know. A dude with an AK could probably shoot one down too if it's close enough.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Xombie posted:

Singling out criminals for additional public degradation and abuse because of their ethnicity is a hate crime, I don't know why this has to be explained.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

With all due respect I don't think you guys understand just how much 8000 calories per day is, even for heavily armed soldiers.

I mean, I did a quick fact check search and all the links are variously saying 4000 calories or so for American soldiers.

Remember folks, that's 3 kg of food and water. That's one MRE and a couple liters of water, 4kcal or so, nothing extraordinary.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1506256037443219461

Good news if true. Hope it can be confirmed.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

the holy poopacy posted:

Singling out criminals for additional public degradation and abuse because of their ethnicity is a hate crime, I don't know why this has to be explained.

He thinks they aren’t being singled out, that all looters are being treated this way. Seems unlikely.
And like, regardless, why defend this poo poo?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Xombie posted:

That article describes a group of vigilantes going around watching for Roma picking pockets so they can "catch them" and tie them to poles, which is not really defensible. I mean, clearly the war has empowered a lot of lovely people to do stuff they wanted to do anyway.

That said, what is this meant to prove? That Ukraine isn't exactly the world's strongest liberal democracy? OK. Point made. Did anyone believe that? The country has a lot of the same problems other countries in EE have, and perhaps in many cases worse problems. Now it's being invaded and I doubt that helps at all. I just don't understand what I'm meant to get from this stuff other than saying "wow, they should stop doing that" and moving on. It doesn't really change my view of Ukraine or whether we should be helping them fight off an invasion.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Xombie posted:

wait until you learn that oppressive groups often accuse the victims of their oppression of crimes in order to justify the oppression

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

the holy poopacy posted:

Tankie twitter already overplayed this hand by calling this a war crime when it was Russian soldiers doing the stealing.

You can call this out for being morally wrong for the additional public degradation, but the only common denominator in this action appears to be that it is the vigilante punishment for theft. Not for being any specific group of person who is doing the stealing.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Wait, how are we at 11th letter already? There was 5th just days ago, and it was already going completely off rails. This is more and more looking like an unofficial r/WritingPrompts thing.

The very first of these letters was already entirely unbelievable, but people on the internet love generating their own fake news.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

This is orthogonal to the current discussion but if anyone is interested in the NASA FIRMS info that people are referencing to locate high conflict areas in Ukraine here's the link - I have it positioned over Ukraine
https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#d:2022-03-21..2022-03-22,2022-03-21;@34.2,48.3,6z

Note that it detects smoke as well as actual fires, which is why I think there's a bunch of 'fire' indicated in Russian/Belarusian border areas right now - I suspect it's detecting the sites of missiles firing.

Not completely conclusive, but interesting information - a lot of fire indicated around Irpin and along the E40 highway, for example

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
“look we aren’t targeting black people, just loiterers”

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Concerned Citizen posted:

No need to snipe at me. It's at risk of being an extreme echo chamber because almost every regular poster in here agrees with each other in here on nearly everything, which is evident by reading the thread.

I don’t see regulars agreeing on a whole load of things more nuanced than “Russia is bad actor here”, or Eastern Europeans here having similar general perspective on Russian foreign policy, out of shared history of violence against us. My argument is that I could easily see how someone in your posting shoes feels that.

That said, I think the nature of the thread tends to underexpose the differences between the posters, due to focus on current affairs, and fairly clear cut conflict core of Russia being a malicious actor.

Not So Fast posted:

Here's the same thing from a BILD reporter if the Twitter source is bad.

https://twitter.com/bjoernstritzel/status/1506261463643656193?t=yQCf6BzdvyIXEj9xzIFgpg&s=19

Pretty awful way to treat people, even in wartime.

Vigilantism is never an answer. I wish Bild journalist would’ve shared which news channel that is, but reading the screenshot they’re alleging that people in question have been caught in the act of stealing, rather than simply happened to be IDPs subject to mistreatment (which we’ve also seen happen, e.g., at the border in the initial chaos).

Looking around, http://www.romea.cz/en/news/world/russia-distorting-photos-for-propaganda-purposes-roma-nonprofits-alert-ukrainian-authorities this seems to be a Czech NGO corroborating the stated interpretation of events. I know we have a few Czech regulars here - can any of you confirm reputation of the site?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Xombie posted:

This also isn't the first time that tankie twitter cooked up a lie about innocent people getting tied to poles to claim it's a war crime when it was actually looters and thieves caught by civilians.

"someone said the Roma are looters and thieves" is not the exculpatory evidence you would like it to be I'm afraid

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

That said, what is this meant to prove? That Ukraine isn't exactly the world's strongest liberal democracy? OK. Point made. Did anyone believe that? The country has a lot of the same problems other countries in EE have, and perhaps in many cases worse problems. Now it's being invaded and I doubt that helps at all. I just don't understand what I'm meant to get from this stuff other than saying "wow, they should stop doing that" and moving on. It doesn't really change my view of Ukraine or whether we should be helping them fight off an invasion.

like 80% of the reason anyone discusses current events online is so they can identify a person they can label a secret nazi in their mind, and then attack and destroy that person verbally to feel better about themselves. its a weird hobby but folks also play warhammer so wyd

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Calling anyone working for Bild a "journalist" is quite the stretch. It's a terrible tabloid rag.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

"someone said the Roma are looters and thieves" is not the exculpatory evidence you would like it to be I'm afraid

"Some random twitter tankie nobody said these looters and thieves are Roma" is not the exculpatory evidence you would like it to be I'm afraid

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

ELTON JOHN posted:

wait until you learn that oppressive groups often accuse the victims of their oppression of crimes in order to justify the oppression

I think that the relevant point here is that this is the actions of civilian vigilanties and not an official sanctioned action on the part of the Ukrainian government.

Hopefully the Ukrainian government will find these vigilanties and prosecute them, unfortunately the issue of being invaded by a hostile foreign power is taking priority.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Xombie posted:

Tankie twitter already overplayed this hand by calling this a war crime when it was Russian soldiers doing the stealing.

You can call this out for being morally wrong for the additional public degradation, but the only common denominator in this action appears to be that it is the vigilante punishment for theft. Not for being any specific group of person who is doing the stealing.

The only on the ground source posted in response to the pics claims that they are singled out for being both looters and Roma. If you have a better source that can conclusively claim (or even inconclusively claim) that this is a general treatment for all looters, feel free to post it.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Remember folks, that's 3 kg of food and water. That's one MRE and a couple liters of water, 4kcal or so, nothing extraordinary.

Sounds weird, because I imagine someone hauling all that equipment would need more than 3 kg of water alone. A person needs 1L per day while resting only.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Mr. Mercury posted:

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here. This is the war thread!

I would empty quote this if I wasn't sure I saw this joke twice in this thread already :v:

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

That said, what is this meant to prove?

It was a honeypot post from uh somewhere else to see if posters ITT would defend that behavior

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Xombie posted:

"someone said these looters and thieves are Roma" is not the exculpatory evidence you would like it to be I'm afraid

you seem really determined to trust the people tying women to lightposts eh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I've asked Koos Group to make a statement of their own about moderation, C-SPAM, etcetera, but in the meantime you can hopefully do with mine.

Greetings. So about Judakel. For various reasons, positions aren't moderated in D&D. That does unfortunately include ones that are odious or monstrous. However, I've had other complaints about Judakel's posting here, such as he's making points through insinuation rather than directly, that he's not including sources for his assertions, that he's deliberately overstating, that he's posting too much about his personal feelings rather than discussable points, and repeating points without addressing counterpoints. All of those are explicitly or implicitly against D&D's rules, so we'll be taking a look at his thread history and considering more serious moderation options.