Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Onion Ring is the best game there is and cheesing is the best way to play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Is this Elden Ring? Doesn't look all that impressive to me.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Whenever I get to a boss in Elden Ring I put down my summon sign and help a few other players beat it, because co-op is fun and it lets me learn the boss patterns, then I beat it on my own :)

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I've been replaying Prey and every time I replay a game I think"OK I'll do a different build this time"and then never do, ever

System shock 2 - oh sure this time I'll lean into psionics oh WHOOPS I'm a fast hacking dude with all my points put into firearms so I can use the assault rifle WHOOPS

Prey - hmm let's see maybe this time I'll put points into all of those weirder Typhon powers oh whoops! All firearms and hacking

New Vegas - haha I'm going to be a total rear end in a top hat this time around, it's gonna be great

*mashes all of the polite dialogue choices because I don't want to be mean to fake video game characters*

I wonder why I have such a hard time deviating from my go-to builds. I can't think of a game where I really explored all of the available classes/builds

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Break free of that mindset and you'll have a whole bunch of new immersive sims to play! It's not that hard really, you know what you're going to do so every time you encounter a choice, choose the other path. 's cool

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

QuarkJets posted:

In several Dark Souls games summoning specific NPCs advanced their storylines, it would surprise me if this wasn't also a thing in Elden Ring for at least one of the characters.

These games were designed from the ground up with jolly cooperation and invasion in mind and you're missing out if you don't do both.

I hated how there were quests where you had to summon NPCs on a fight to complete them in DS2 because I like to fight every boss solo. It just doesn't feel right to me to summon. Other people can do whatever they want in their own games, but that's precisely why those quests suck: I don't get to play the way I want if I want to complete them. It's not like there's requirements to fight bosses solo, but there are requirements to fight them with summons. gently caress off with that. I don't want to spam attacks into a monster's rear end while it attacks some NPC.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Enemy NPCs should run away or surrender more.

Playing cyberpunk and it's like "I just decapitated seven of your heavily armed friends with a katana before you could blink, and you're coming at me with a wrench? How do you think this is going to end?"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phigs posted:

I hated how there were quests where you had to summon NPCs on a fight to complete them in DS2 because I like to fight every boss solo. It just doesn't feel right to me to summon. Other people can do whatever they want in their own games, but that's precisely why those quests suck: I don't get to play the way I want if I want to complete them. It's not like there's requirements to fight bosses solo, but there are requirements to fight them with summons. gently caress off with that. I don't want to spam attacks into a monster's rear end while it attacks some NPC.

The problem with the DS2 NPC summon quests is that you not only had to summon the NPC, they had to survive the fight. So the fights became DPS checks to see if you could spam R1 quickly enough to chew through The Rotten's enormous summon-boosted hp bar before Lucatiel died from standing in fire or whatever. Most of them weren't actually hard, but it was like carrying a bad player through the bossfight while they tried their best to get killed. It's weird because DS2 did have a fair number of NPC summons that did pretty well, Lucatiel and Bernhardt were just dumbasses.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Quote-Unquote posted:

Playing cyberpunk and it's like "I just decapitated seven of your heavily armed friends with a katana before you could blink, and you're coming at me with a wrench? How do you think this is going to end?"
I agree! Is this a gameplay thing? Is it unfun somehow? Even in many games that implement something similar it's almost always a fake-out, with the enemy becoming aggressive again after a bit. It's weird that de-aggroing isn't a thing!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I completed Rannis quest without a guide, it was very edifying. Lots is there to be found by genuine discovery, you're very unlikely to find every part of every 'quest' on your own by design, which owns

Divergent unique experiences across the player base drives the conversation and replayability

I'm doing my second playthrough now with no ashes or summons, it is more challenging but also more satisfying

You can play and enjoy and interpret these games however you like 🙂

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

Only as long as enemies running or surrendering nets the player the same reward as killing them. You've defeated them either way, it shouldn't be necessary to be bloodthirsty.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I always find it funny in Skyrim when you have high sneak and you shoot some dude in a cave and they freak out and run around. Give it like 30 seconds though and they stop looking around and say 'must've been the wind.' while they have an arrow through their skull.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like how in Metro Exodus usually the last few guys are just like gently caress it, throw down their weapons, and are like "chill man, you won please don't kill me"

there's even one large spot that de aggros after killing just one or two enemies and is scared as hell of you after that.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I like the opposite phenomenon in the Yakuza series. I just beat the poo poo out of 49 of his friends with sword fishes and trash cans but thug #50 is like "I'm gonna show this Kiryu fella what for."

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

veni veni veni posted:

I like how in Metro Exodus usually the last few guys are just like gently caress it, throw down their weapons, and are like "chill man, you won please don't kill me"

there's even one large spot that de aggros after killing just one or two enemies and is scared as hell of you after that.

I have the Redux versions of the first two Metro games but for some reason I just couldn't get into them (and I've put in a good amount of hours with both). I've been considering Exodus but I just don't know if it's gonna be what I'm looking for. How much jank does it have vs is it a good game?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

Only as long as enemies running or surrendering nets the player the same reward as killing them. You've defeated them either way, it shouldn't be necessary to be bloodthirsty.

Yeah that's what I mean. Drop their wallet and run away. Even with non lethal things, like a lot of the quick hacks in cyberpunk. If you just watched all of your friends collapse because their brains short circuited, you'd probably not want to fight the mysterious stranger that just walked in and picked up their guns.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

kntfkr posted:

I like the opposite phenomenon in the Yakuza series. I just beat the poo poo out of 49 of his friends with sword fishes and trash cans but thug #50 is like "I'm gonna show this Kiryu fella what for."

At least in Yakuza they just pant heavily for a bit, apologise and run away. They're fine, even if you did just skewer them with a tanto. Most games involve genocide.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Protagonist posted:

I completed Rannis quest without a guide, it was very edifying. Lots is there to be found by genuine discovery, you're very unlikely to find every part of every 'quest' on your own by design, which owns

Divergent unique experiences across the player base drives the conversation and replayability

I agree for the general gameplay and discovery, but for the quests all it does is drive me to the elden ring wiki and make me say "how in the gently caress was anyone supposed to to figure this out"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Floodixor posted:

I have the Redux versions of the first two Metro games but for some reason I just couldn't get into them (and I've put in a good amount of hours with both). I've been considering Exodus but I just don't know if it's gonna be what I'm looking for. How much jank does it have vs is it a good game?

It's probably in my personal top 5 games of all time so I'd mostly just gush about it. I love the earlier ones too though. There's some degree of jank, but it's not something I'd describe as super janky. Maybe a bit rougher around the edges than a big AAA game. It's not buggy or anything.

The amount of variety is nuts though. The whole theme is that you are traveling across Russia in a train, so each stop is pretty different visually and the pace of gameplay changes a lot. You'll have like, traditional metro area, then a super linear area, then it'll dump you off in a big open map that you can screw around in for like 8 hours, repeat. Also the characters and story are really enjoyable. I love it so much.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can't believe some of you actual use the weapons in Elden Ring. You aren't good unless you go 100% nude w/ no weapons 100% of the time.

But seriously, if you need to summon other people to beat bosses you are 100% the reason fromsoft needs to add difficulty options. Imagine having someone else play the game for you.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

the summoning 👏 is 👏 the diFFICULTY OPTION!! 👏

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No it isn't. That's just the sads way of giving fromsoft (a lovely company) a way out for not having 21st century accessibility options. Letting other people play the game for you is not a difficulty slider. It's letting someone else play the game for you.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

yes it is :colbert:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I'm sorry you can't beat the game on your own. Why even play a game when you have to pass the controller? Just watch a let's play on youtube.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Do people get this stroppy about like, warp whistles or playing halo with 2 people?

Elden ring is okay. Only played like 5 hours but it's alright.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I'm sorry you can't handle things that are different, it seems like you still have some growing up to do. :sad:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I Also imagine not wasting time on this bullshit boss where they added 4 little imps to gently caress with you while you fight. I make my dreams a reality and win the *checks notes* worthless ashes ill never use.

Summon and get on with it, gitguds can just beat thier dick to it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Quote-Unquote posted:

It was cool in ghost of Tsushima how you unlocked this toward the end since the mongols go from “look at this foolish samurai thinking he can resist us” to “there is a supernatural spirit haunting this island who is here to kill us specifically.”

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Waltzing Along posted:

No it isn't. That's just the sads way of giving fromsoft (a lovely company) a way out for not having 21st century accessibility options. Letting other people play the game for you is not a difficulty slider. It's letting someone else play the game for you.

Yes multiplayer games are others playing games for you. You're the guy who compared difficulty options to civil rights so this tracks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The few times I've summoned other players or been summoned the bosses get so bumped up now it doesn't even feel like easy mode anymore. The ash summons and OP abilities are easy mode.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm also super ok with exploiting whatever the game gives me, because even without getting stuck almost at all it's like 100 hours long, so slamming my head against a boss for 2 hours sounds less appealing than in a game 1/3rd the size which is pretty much all other souls games.

I've bro'ed down with my mimic tear to clown on some of the hardest bosses in the game and ruled.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Honestly the fun part of these games isnt even the bosses, its navigating all the tricks traps and mooks in new locales, just a slightly stronger enemy in the way of a key or some treasure makes more of a difference to me than a loving 2 hour boss to smashes your head against just so you can progress.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Phigs posted:

idk just don't do those questlines, then? They're optional. Beat bosses however you want

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

D-, can't stick the landing, please be more convincing next time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good soup! posted:

D-, can't stick the landing, please be more convincing next time

This is unrelated to your post, but I saw you your av in smiling friends. And I was wondering if it’s originally from that or if it was some sort of broader meme that already existed. Like it is just out of nowhere in that show it was hilarious.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Giving the player a plethora of options that fit naturally within the game world and lore that result in an organic, emergent change in difficulty is an inferior, outdated, and downright stupid approach compared to just adding a slider that reduces or increases enemy damage. Game design is my passion.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

This is unrelated to your post, but I saw you your av in smiling friends. And I was wondering if it’s originally from that or if it was some sort of broader meme that already existed. Like it is just out of nowhere in that show it was hilarious.

Haha yeah it's originally from it. Back when the pilot first aired and I had a "holy poo poo this is actually p good" moment, someone posted a super high res version of it on Twitter and I knew immediately it would likely be my be-all-end-all avatar on here lol

I love the little art style switches and gags and smiling friends is the best thing AS has done in years and the unusually detailed image of pim and his broken mind is a good approximation of my posting spirit

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

There are also ashes that let you summon monsters to help you, and these can be combined with NPC summons, and ashes can be upgraded to make the game as easy as you want. That right there sets aside your opposition to multiplayer coop while still providing a pretty obvious path for making the game easier.

And I don't know if anyone has told you this, but you don't have to put your controller down after you summon help. In fact it's pretty common for your allies to die, because they're probably learning the fight too. I like to put down a summon sign while I'm learning new bosses, before taking them on solo; it's great

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Good soup! posted:

SF "holy poo poo this is actually p good"

i had no idea mike stoklasa guest starred in that til i saw it recently, pim's buddy finishing the conversation and nonchalantly picking him up and walking off slayed me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Protagonist posted:

i had no idea mike stoklasa guest starred in that til i saw it recently, pim's buddy finishing the conversation and nonchalantly picking him up and walking off slayed me

It was such a strong pilot that I had a feeling it was going to be good and now the series is out and it's fantastic, and beats the hell out of the dumb poo poo like Mr. Pickles or any other monkey cheese stuff they've shat out for a decade

Stoked for the second season

Anyways on topic, my unpopular game opinion is that project eden was a cool, weird rear end co op game that should be given a second look