Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

maybe it's just my use cases but I've had to do a ton of fiddling with my Deck, especially for emulators, but I expected that

actually, I downloaded Inscryption the other day expecting it to work since it's registered as Playable on ProtonDB, but it's crashing immediately. can't even Google to see if anyone else is facing a similar problem, using the search terms "steam deck" only gets me a deluge of reviews and things like that for the device itself
Apparently someone's working on an easy emulator configuration installer, so might be something to keep an eye on:
http://www.emudeck.com/

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tk2stg/emudeck_emulator_auto_configurator/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm checking it out in Desktop and something really screwy is happening with Inscryption, might not actually be a Deck thing. the installation folder is empty with a folder in it called "EmptySteamDepot". I think it's a problem with the beta fork

JazzFlight posted:

Apparently someone's working on an easy emulator configuration installer, so might be something to keep an eye on:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tk2stg/emudeck_emulator_auto_configurator/

this looks really nice, although I'd hoped to avoid RetroArch. I might check it out, thank you

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

This was basically what i was planning on. Just wait for someone else to make it almost turnkey to get ROMs running other than procuring the ROMs

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DoubleT2172 posted:

This was basically what i was planning on. Just wait for someone else to make it almost turnkey to get ROMs running other than procuring the ROMs

Yeah same really.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
So, uhh. I've tried 5 "unsupported" games and 1 "does not work" game on the deck and they all worked fine.

The game that isn't supposed to work is Mechanicus, but it just boots up normally and plays no problems. I wonder what valve's criteria for classifying the "great on deck" games are.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Got my email yesterday. When should I expect this thing to ship and arrive? I'm in Minnesota if that matters.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Early / mid next week

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Dramicus posted:

So, uhh. I've tried 5 "unsupported" games and 1 "does not work" game on the deck and they all worked fine.

The game that isn't supposed to work is Mechanicus, but it just boots up normally and plays no problems. I wonder what valve's criteria for classifying the "great on deck" games are.

those tags don't mean they won't boot, but there will be some hosed up poo poo eventually

i posted a few pages ago about batman arkham origins working until it decided not to, for example

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I want to see pictures soon of goons decks. I'd like to see mmo's on that poo poo too.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ChocNitty posted:

I want to see pictures soon of goons decks. I'd like to see mmo's on that poo poo too.

That's actually true.. Any FFXIV players can take some pics/vids? can it even open it?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Barreft posted:

That's actually true.. Any FFXIV players can take some pics/vids? can it even open it?

There was a recent update to FFXIV that forces the updated launcher with the Steam version of the game which is apparently not Proton compatible. I don't know if a thridparty launcher like XIVLauncher would work though.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Veotax posted:

There was a recent update to FFXIV that forces the updated launcher with the Steam version of the game which is apparently not Proton compatible. I don't know if a thridparty launcher like XIVLauncher would work though.

fuckers. ff14 in bed is a dream

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Veotax posted:

XIVLauncher works on Windows if you add it as a non-Steam game to your library. (Or without that even, if you remember to start Steam first.)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I just checked Steam, the Deck had updated availability, e: but it just added month details lol

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Antigravitas posted:

"ext3" doesn't really exist nowadays. If I remember my kernel code correctly, "ext3" is just ext4 with special mount options and you wouldn't use it unless you specifically don't want journaling.
ext2, ext3, and ext4 all share the same fundamental design. ext3 is basically ext2 with journaling, while ext4 is ext3 plus some optional features (extents, journal checksumming, block allocation schemes, etc.) and performance improvements.

The core filesystem code is largely the same between them, but ext2 and ext3 are still considered distinct from ext4 to ensure backwards compatibility with systems that don't support ext4. ext4 itself has more robust extensibility options so is unlikely we'll see an "ext5" anytime soon.

I'd be surprised if the Deck is using ext3 and not ext4.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm going to make a real casual guide on how to use WinSCP to transfer files between your Deck and your PC. I looked over my chat with my friend and setting this up is even easier than I remember it being

1) go to Desktop Mode and bring up the terminal/command prompt. search for "Konsole"

2) type in "passwd" and set a password for your device. the username by default is "deck"

3) type in "ip address" and take note of your deck's local ip address, printed after where it says "inet"

3) now type in "sudo systemctl start sshd"

your deck is now hosting a server with access to its filesystem

4) on your PC, download WinSCP and install it. this is what we're going to use to access the deck

5) in WinSCP, set the file protocol to SCP and put in your ip address. leave the port as the default and leave username and password blank

6) now you're ready. connect to your device and put in "deck" for username and the password you set earlier on your deck

loving voila. you can manipulate your deck's files from your PC, including creating folders and dragging/dropping files

BONUS) if you'd like it so your deck automatically hosts a server every time you go to Desktop Mode, go to Konsole and type in "sudo systemctl enable sshd". no more fiddling with the commands when you want to access it with your PC, just go to Desktop and connect with WinSCP

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Everyone’s gonna be running around with an unsecured open ftp service on their poo poo.

Linux lmao

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

MarcusSA posted:

Early / mid next week

Is Early the shipping email and Mid when it should arrive? Cutting it close. I have a long flight for vacation next Friday morning.

I'm going to make a real casual guide on how to use WinSCP to transfer files between your Deck and your PC. I looked over my chat with my friend and setting this up is even easier than I remember it being

1) go to Desktop Mode and bring up the terminal/command prompt. search for "Konsole"

2) type in "passwd" and set a password for your device. the username by default is "deck"

3) type in "ip address" and take note of your deck's local ip address, printed after where it says "inet"

3) now type in "sudo systemctl start sshd"

your deck is now hosting a server with access to its filesystem

4) on your PC, download WinSCP and install it. this is what we're going to use to access the deck

5) in WinSCP, set the file protocol to SCP and put in your ip address. leave the port as the default and leave username and password blank

6) now you're ready. connect to your device and put in "deck" for username and the password you set earlier on your deck

loving voila. you can manipulate your deck's files from your PC, including creating folders and dragging/dropping files

BONUS) if you'd like it so your deck automatically hosts a server every time you go to Desktop Mode, go to Konsole and type in "sudo systemctl enable sshd". no more fiddling with the commands when you want to access it with your PC, just go to Desktop and connect with WinSCP

Would this work for copying over game files so not having to download them again? Would that just be the \steamapps\common\*Game Directory* folder?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Is Early the shipping email and Mid when it should arrive? Cutting it close. I have a long flight for vacation next Friday morning.

Would this work for copying over game files so not having to download them again? Would that just be the \steamapps\common\*Game Directory* folder?

I don't see why not, but I haven't tested that so I don't want to straight up say "yes"

the hidden ".steam" folder has \steamapps\ in it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

AFAIK you should have it in your hands by Wednesday.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

KingKapalone posted:

Got my email yesterday. When should I expect this thing to ship and arrive? I'm in Minnesota if that matters.

I'm in MN also and got my deck last week. I got my email a week ago (14th), paid that hour, received a "we're getting your deck ready for shipping" email on the 16th and FedEx delivered it around noon on the 17th. Good luck

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nuts and Gum posted:

Everyone’s gonna be running around with an unsecured open ftp service on their poo poo.
SFTP is secure, and not at all related to the old FTP. Also the very first thing you do is set a password. Make it a good one. Or add an authorized key.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's also only accessible on your LAN afaik

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's funny to me that the same people who claim that setting up SFTP on a Linux machine "will take a whole afternoon" have no issues using some rando third-party Windows tools to scribble all over their SD cards instead.

Put your SD card in the Deck and leave it in. Don't take it out unless you're putting in a larger card.

This, plus "you know there's another port right"

Stick the SD card in, let the deck format it to taste, stick your NFTS formatted external in the other end and copy it across overnight.

Probably way easier for all the people who have all their roms sitting on or backed up to external HDs in the first place, right? Probably even more useful for people with steam libraries on externals, you could probably plug it in and do a straight library copy across too

Unrelated: Is there something I'm missing about exporting personal controller configs from the PC to get them onto the deck via cloud magic, it just refuses to acknowledge I've already got a dozen of these fuckers set up to taste on my account already

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Oh my god yes. Just use a USB stick and dock or type C adapter. No need to bother with any of that.

Legitimately did not occur to me.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Unrelated: Is there something I'm missing about exporting personal controller configs from the PC to get them onto the deck via cloud magic, it just refuses to acknowledge I've already got a dozen of these fuckers set up to taste on my account already

Can't help you other than to say it copied over my controller configs automagically. But I only had a handful.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You can use your Steam Points to get new keyboard styles for the Deck: https://store.steampowered.com/points/shop/c/keyboard

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

You can use your Steam Points to get new keyboard styles for the Deck: https://store.steampowered.com/points/shop/c/keyboard

Too bad the Classic Steam green theme is already the best possible one.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Too bad the Classic Steam green theme is already the best possible one.

True

But I use the Ruby one as its easy on my eyes. Also 110k points to spend meant I picked them all up easily.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Barreft posted:

I just checked Steam, the Deck had updated availability, e: but it just added month details lol

Get that “-June” poo poo out of my face, Steam. I expect my Q2 e-mail April 4, 2022 and will be hella mad if it’s late.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Get that “-June” poo poo out of my face, Steam. I expect my Q2 e-mail April 4, 2022 and will be hella mad if it’s late.
Same. Those online date calculators guessed my order coming through by mid/late May because I placed my 512gb US order 25 minutes in. Of course, that’s if they keep the same slow shipping pace as Q1.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Played a bunch of Elden Ring on this last night. It was great. The difference between 30fps and whatever it's running at on my big PC is noticeable, but it's also pretty much stutter free and the feeling of playing handheld is intimate and immersive. Some of the UI elements obviously haven't been designed for a small screen though.

The top of the machine does get warm when playing 3d games, but the controls themselves don't get warm so it isn't uncomfortable.

I still think my main use case for the deck will be to catch up on lots of indie games in my backlog (I've also been enjoying Into the Breach) but it's cool to know that it can offer a good experience for the newest games too.

Cool, going to try this tonight.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 23, 2022

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

maybe it's just my use cases but I've had to do a ton of fiddling with my Deck, especially for emulators, but I expected that

actually, I downloaded Inscryption the other day expecting it to work since it's registered as Playable on ProtonDB, but it's crashing immediately. can't even Google to see if anyone else is facing a similar problem, using the search terms "steam deck" only gets me a deluge of reviews and things like that for the device itself

I'm through the first act and it's working fine for me.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Barreft posted:

Mine reads like Gabe slowly explaining to the child that is me what Q2 means: April-June. Very specific, Gabe! This is the 512GB, US.

I got my order in at 25 mins past per the API link posted earlier. I should have gotten it in within 2-3 mins but I used Firefox and the Steam Store apparently didn't like all the ad and cookie blocks involved by default. Had to duck into a meeting and then come back with Chrome after that was over to get the purchase through.

E: NVM, yours says the same thing. I read bad.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 23, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I ordered in minutes but was one of the few that the order didn’t go through so steam had to re-add the deck to my cart and gave me a window to “pre-order” later in the day. This probably dumped me to the back of the line.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

v1ld posted:

Mine reads like Gabe slowly explaining to the child that is me what Q2 means: April-June. Very specific, Gabe! This is the 512GB, US.
It's probably because Q2 often refers to fiscal years so they want to be clear that it means the calendar year's Q2 and not Valve's own fiscal Q2.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

PowerBeard posted:

Also 110k points to spend meant I picked them all up easily.

You are like little babby.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I was slow in reserving the 512gb, July 23. My expected ship date has been updated to July-September 2022.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Bloodplay it again posted:

Assuming you check out ASAP on Monday, follow the line that says "If picked up on Wednesday..."
Assuming you check out later on Monday or early Tuesday, follow the line that says "If picked up on Thursday..."
Assuming you check out later on Tuesday or early Wednesday, follow the line that says "If picked up on Friday..."
Assuming you check out shortly before the reservation expires, follow the line that says "If picked up on Monday..." while understanding that it won't be shipped out until a week after the email was sent.

This was a ton of info that turned out to be completely accurate. I checked out within five minutes of getting the email, got the shipping notification today and looks like my deck is arriving on Friday. Just in time for the weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

PowerBeard posted:

True

But I use the Ruby one as its easy on my eyes. Also 110k points to spend meant I picked them all up easily.

Buying the steam deck should give you more points than you need to buy all of them (unless that's excempt for some reason?)