Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Control your nitrogen emissions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
He's 100% doing a bit. The RANT ROOM should've tipped everybody off.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I feel like EC3 is definitely more self-aware than people mocking him give him credit for, but the end product is still an incoherent mess so you can lol away anyway

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
EC3 is as meta as Cody.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

At this point I legitimately can't decide whether CYN turning out to be a satirical art troll created to mock toxic masculinity would be more funny or less funny than it being real. They're 100% hitting all the notes that a parody would hit.

There is that song title scrolling by at the bottom of the video which makes me wonder.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
jokes on iwc i was only pretending

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Benne posted:

He's 100% doing a bit. The RANT ROOM should've tipped everybody off.

EC3 may be doing a bit, but that bit included giving Austin Aries money so who's to say?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
ECIII does not hide his white nationalist leanings with his social media activity, he's not going to create the exact kind of indie you would expect him to create as a super ironic joke. He's just a dumb guy who thinks he is very creative, but understands how to lean into things too.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
are we really already trying to wishful thinking ourselves into the idea that this is a bit

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
To resurrect an old list, EC3 follows these people on twitter:

Fox News, Ben Carson, Marco Rubio, Greg Gutfeld, Breitbart, Donald Trump Jr, Marty Scurll, Mike Cernovich, Sean Hannity, Tucker Carlson, Daily Wire, Rand Paul, Jack Posobiec, Candace Owens, James Woods, Ben Shapiro, Dan Bongino, Jesse Waters, Scott Adams, Jordan Peterson, OANN, Joe Rogan, Ron DeSantis, Daily Caller, Dan Crenshaw, Devin Nunes, Human Events, TPUSA, Josh Hawley, Prager U, Elise Stefanik, Matt Gaetz, Trey Gowdy, Jason Whitlock, a host of #AmericaFirst candidates, Disco Inferno, and rovert.

But he is also following Nathan Fielder and various other comedians in that sphere so all of this feels like a grotesque synthesis of both.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

amazing punchline to that list

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

We're all just part of the Controlniverse

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

mactheknife posted:

are we really already trying to wishful thinking ourselves into the idea that this is a bit

I think it's probably a bit to EC3, but that EC3 is also a dumb poo poo who actually believes all of this nonsense. It's the classic "personality turned up to 11" stuff, I think. He's probably self-aware enough to know it's all very stupid and nutty and caters to other idiots like himself, but also knows people will buy into that so he amps it up.

In summary, EC3 is a dope.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EC3 absolutely has some degree of self-awareness in terms of being a wrestler and promoter, there's no way you can cut a promo about your seasoned broccoli farts without that. He can also be a meathead chud with his politics. It's not like those two things have to be mutually exclusive.

projecthalaxy posted:

hahahaha holy poo poo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
So what exactly is the bit in EC3 starting a company almost certainly destined to lose money and streaming it on a service started (starting?) by people only EC3 would associate with?

Find it doubtful he did all of this just as a fun send up of whatever CYN is supposed to be a send up of!

Is it done with some awareness of what will get attention? Of course. But the whole thing isn't a bit.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MassRafTer posted:

So what exactly is the bit in EC3 starting a company almost certainly destined to lose money and streaming it on a service started (starting?) by people only EC3 would associate with?

Find it doubtful he did all of this just as a fun send up of whatever CYN is supposed to be a send up of!

Is it done with some awareness of what will get attention? Of course. But the whole thing isn't a bit.

I would imagine he doesn't expect it to lose money. He's also doing like eight thousand other things – the weird seasoning, his fitness plans and app, probably has his own workout powder or something. Dude is dipping into every imaginable market and probably hoping at least one of them sticks and succeeds.

Just because he's probably in on the bit and amping it up to stupid degrees doesn't also mean he doesn't think there's actual value there and that he can make money off of it and the weirdos who will support him.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

But he is also following Nathan Fielder and various other comedians in that sphere so all of this feels like a grotesque synthesis of both.

I'm picturing EC3 watching Nathan For You and taking copious notes.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Referring to Nathan's various enterprises as "worked stores" or "gimmicked websites"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Control your narrative and drink your grandson's pee when you need oxidants. Doesn't have any of those bad chemicals from engineered food.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

at CYN they really fight so we should probably all shut our suckholes

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

My narrative doesn't involve shutting my suckhole

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

work or not he shoot sucks

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
He's leaning into the aesthetic of what they're doing in an exaggerative and sometimes humorous way, but that doesn't mean he understands that the core that he's exaggerating actually sucks.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Power Windows posted:

My narrative doesn't involve shutting my suckhole

control your suckhole in the rant room dang it

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Can't wait for Tranquilo Club's video essay on the genius of EC3.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

El Generico posted:

He's leaning into the aesthetic of what they're doing in an exaggerative and sometimes humorous way, but that doesn't mean he understands that the core that he's exaggerating actually sucks.

It seems like he's hedging for a puppetmaster defense: If it succeeds, it's because he was totally serious and a marketing genius mastermind. If it doesn't, lmao he worked us all with his epic troll and all you idiot marks fell for it. It's not a bit, until it is.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

lol

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

"Hi EC3, #CYN is priding itself to give chances to the voiceless or to those who feel misrepresented by the wrestling world and media. However, just being out there and controlling their narrative hasn't seemed to do a lot for people who want to see positive change first before we "forgive" someone. What is #CYN doing besides booking a wrestling card to motivate us to want to support these people (i.e. Austin Aries)?"

"Good question.

Short of a wrestling card to help motivate, a lot of our attention will be on mental health as a whole.

From a fan perspective and a talent perspective.

As we have began, and we have grown, the amount of young talent looking for a place to speak their minds, fears, and anxieties has grown with us.

We have developed a true bond, shared our deepest personal issues. Seen grown men cry. Been extraordinary.

As far as Austin, you may never agree with him and that’s ok. But him having a place to tell his story as he finds himself is of great intrigue."

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Lets not forget this tidbit from EC3 in that Reddit AmA about some of the ideas/motivations behind CYN:

EC3 posted:

We began as a series of features “Free The Narrative 1 and 2” plus two side art pieces we shot.

The idea is we were underground, there is no authority. Fights we’re over when you tapped out. Quit, knocked out, or can’t stand

As we grow, our live events are sanctioned in a traditional sense. There is an official, a referee. Pinfalls submissions and the rules of wrestling apply.

The fight in life is not usually against someone else, life’s fight is that of you fighting what’s inside. Limited belief. Fear. Apprehensions.

The idea is that through the art of combat, you can defeat your greatest opponent. Yourself.

That’s the win.

And it sounded cool as poo poo.

The top voted response to that is asking how much cocaine he was on when writing that up.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The classic categories of Conflict:

Man vs. Man
Man vs. Nature
Man vs. Self
Man vs. Nature vs. Self Three Way Dance
Lumberjack of Self match
Nature vs. Nurture Barbed Wire Rope match

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s going well

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Edge & Christian posted:

The classic categories of Conflict:

Man vs. Man
Man vs. Nature
Man vs. Self
Man vs. Nature vs. Self Three Way Dance
Lumberjack of Self match
Nature vs. Nurture Barbed Wire Rope match

You forgot the obvious Man vs Narrative

Also Man vs Nuts

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

sticklefifer posted:

You forgot the obvious Man vs Narrative

Also Man vs Nuts
If you're going to critter-wrestle anything, critter-size deez nuts.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxiHFoMQYdT3Nm_w6N-LgsDSZx_TtSyOTx

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I think the AmA might be over soon. I don't think it could have gone any worse for him at this point.

https://www.reddit.com/user/essentialcharacter3/overview

Welp spoke too soon:

quote:

Presentation and Booking: for the performers to facilitate the stories they want to tell, through their lived experiences. Pro wrestling is a great medium for it because when a performer believes in what they are saying and doing, it has gravitas.

I believe Austin is a phenomenal in ring talent that has so much knowledge and experience to give to the next generation. He is his own man, unapologetically him. I believe in him as a performer, I believe in what he wants to do with his career. The rewards out weigh the controversy because in ring, young talent have a thirst for knowledge and he is one that can give back. I don’t know anyone else involved who has controversy. And as many responses as I get, he has apologized for mistakes he has made publicly, and confronted accusations head on. People will choose to believe what they want at this point. I believe what he told me, and see no reason not too since we’ve begun working together.

I have elaborated on saying a number I did not know have meaning. I don’t know what far right talking points I preach as my message is anything but political. Control your narrative means tell your story. That is the message and that’s what I want to give talent the opportunity to do.

Inspired by. Deeper into the meaning behind the book, in a sense. But it has become more and will become its own thing.

The goal is to start small with intimate venues, always maintaining a unique aesthetic, but growing it size wise.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 24, 2022

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DarkstarIV posted:

I think the AmA might be over soon. I don't think it could have gone any worse for him at this point.

https://www.reddit.com/user/essentialcharacter3/overview

Welp spoke too soon:

dsriggs posted:

This roster seems to be a bunch of doodoomen.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Jeff took the weighted mesh shirt off.

He means business

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Reddit: [difficult question]
EC3: [vague flailing]

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/Cap_Kaveman/status/1506766274663133184

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol these guys are so far in over their heads it's amazing

it's gonna be amazing watching this flame out spectacularly because they're a bunch of shitheads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Their dark matches are with all the lights out

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/tuizy3/last_night_control_your_narrative_had_a_dark/