Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Would love that to be a new thing that all batman movies do now,Batman randomly uses a villains gadget without any pretext.

Downed in a fight?? - venom adrenaline

Put out a fire?? - freeze bomb

Disperse big crowd of bad guys?? - fear gas pellets ala TDK comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

It does literalize one of Batman's most central themes. That he's on a razor's edge of sanity, is "one bad day away" from being the villain, is just as broken as his own rogue's gallery, etc.

Pretty much every villain is presented as his dark mirror self in some form or another across the canon, as well. Certainly the Nolan movies, which land on that pretty hard with Ra's al Ghul, Bane, and Two-Face. And now Riddler. So, it tracks he'd accumulate his villains' methods, like a mentally ill Mega Man.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Batman movie but he’s in the riddler position and the villains are at his mercy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I want to see a story that kind of makes fun of Bane's master strategist personality. The whole story he shows up but doesn't pull anything, and when asked about it he's just like "It's not a good time. Batman's fully on edge, completely alert. The worst possible time for any kind of play. Making my move now would be a waste."

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

BioEnchanted posted:

I want to see a story that kind of makes fun of Bane's master strategist personality. The whole story he shows up but doesn't pull anything, and when asked about it he's just like "It's not a good time. Batman's fully on edge, completely alert. The worst possible time for any kind of play. Making my move now would be a waste."

“Bane sees the writing on the wall,Bane is going to florida for a week…”

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

DarkCrawler posted:

blithering idiocy

Anytime you have to use caps lock to make some point in an attempt to be funny means this garbage is automatically dismissed

Caros
May 14, 2008

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

“Bane sees the writing on the wall,Bane is going to florida for a week…”

I can't not read this in the Harley Quinn/DKR bane voice, and I love it.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How much shorter would the movie be if Batman had better Spanish and knew what a carpet ticker was?

This is one of those movies where a decent chunk of it gets solved by competent crime scene techs in like an hour.

Like the first set of clues. You don't need a cipher telling you 'drive'. You search the guy's loving house after he's murdered, including his garage, find the car tire with a knife in it, search that car and find his thumb, then plug that drive into an air gapped computer.

Caros fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 22, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think pick one from each column is a more interesting choice here
https://twitter.com/BatmanFiles/status/1505896947273584648

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

The United States posted:

One from each column is easy for me. One from each row is HARD since I love all the movies in the second row.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Going with one from each column is almost two easy, row 2 (Begins, Phantasm, Returns, BvS) has probably the highest overall quality.

One from each row.... some tough choices in there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Caros posted:

Like the first set of clues. You don't need a cipher telling you 'drive'. You search the guy's loving house after he's murdered, including his garage, find the car tire with a knife in it, search that car and find his thumb, then plug that drive into an air gapped computer.
I was a little stunned that Gordon just plugged that thumb drive into his work laptop.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
All the three letter agencies would have much harder jobs if that wasn't still a common occurrence

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Halloween Jack posted:

I was a little stunned that Gordon just plugged that thumb drive into his work laptop.

it was very funny when he's like "drat! it sent all this to the news networks from my email!"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Batman
Mask of the Phantasm
The Dark Knight Rises, I guess
Batman '66

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Karloff posted:

I'd like to see in the sequel or in the TV show the Umbrellas return. I could see this version of Penguin getting insecure about the rise of the freaks such as Riddler and Joker and thinking "I need a thing".

Honestly, just giving him an armoured shotgun-umbrella like Roberta in Black Lagoon seems pretty fitting for the tone of this Batman. Like the vaguely-sci-fi-noir equivalent of a sword-cane.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Idunno why Under the Red Hood is even on the list. I enjoyed it, the Batman/Hood fight was well-animated, but you could put any random DCAU movie in there and very few of them would even be a choice next to Batman Beyond.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Rows: The Dark Knight, BvS (if UE, if not then Returns,) TDKR, Forever
Columns: BB, Mask of the Phantasm, The Dark Knight, BvS regardless of edition

Third row is the hardest one because you're just trying to pick the least-bad one.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Rows... The Batman, Batman Begins, Batman Beyond, Batman '66

Columns... The Batman, Mask of the Phantasm, Dark Knight, Batman '89

Yeah, the rows were slightly harder to pick.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Had to make a lot of tough calls.

Columns:
The Batman
Mask of the Phantasm
Batman Returns
BvS

Rows:
Batman '89
BvS
Return of the Joker
Batman '66

That's a good spread for the animated movies. I would have replaced Under the Red Hood with Batman Ninja. I always found Under the Red Hood kinda overrated.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wait, what are people seeing in Batman v Superman? That's an almost unwatchable movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ccs posted:

Wait, what are people seeing in Batman v Superman? That's an almost unwatchable movie.

Yeah, it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Ccs posted:

live with fruit posted:

Yeah, it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Fight me in the Snyderdome. Watching the Ultimate Edition is required reading for entry.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's loving awesome and it has a bit where Batman hurls a crate into a guy

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

So I finally saw the movie. The riddler's plans seemed very uneven. He carefully and meticulously gathered evidence on the Mayor, Commish, and DA, and kills them in methodical carefully planned out methods. Then he ads Bruce Wayne to the list for the crime of having a better time as an orphan and being the kid of someone involved in the central corruption plot. His plan to kill Bruce is just as thrown together with a letter bomb and zero guarantee that Bruce will be the one to open it. Then after a whole-rear end movie of The riddler doing targeted personal attacks against specific agents of corruption, his masterstroke is "cause mayhem and shoot random people fleeing the mayhem".

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ccs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7GWGLkPepU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I ain't suffering tech bro quirky 🤪 Lex Luthor Failson.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Having been put off by how people said it was poo poo i really enjoyed BvS when i saw the (extended?directors?) cut,it took me 3 tries over the years for Mos to click with me but BvS i liked right away.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I had never seen a single DC cape film until the 4 hour Snyder cut. I liked it a lot, even if I think Ezra Miller is a poo poo-faced dweeb, but Affleck Batman is just embarrassing. I’ll never understand what brought Batfleck upon us but he almost single-handedly ruins those movies, IMO. I love Hank Cavill, wish he’d been in more of the movie.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I thought batfleck was solid but the suit and look definitely carried him alot.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ccs posted:

I genuinely thought the same after seeing it in theaters, but posters on here eventually convinced me to check out the Ultimate Edition director's cut and I did a complete 180 on the movie. It's crazy how better it is when you actually know characters' motivations for doing things.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Necrothatcher posted:

I genuinely thought the same after seeing it in theaters, but posters on here eventually convinced me to check out the Ultimate Edition director's cut and I did a complete 180 on the movie. It's crazy how better it is when you actually know characters' motivations for doing things.
Same here except I didn't see it in theaters

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

McCloud posted:

see, it was a joke

From pages back but McCloud, I just wanted you to know: I got the joke even if no one else did, so your post was not in vain.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
"BvS is good as long as you watch a different version of it" doesn't seem like a real defense of BvS. I guess it sucks for Snyder that WB made him put out a terrible version of his movie but that's studios for you and he's not exactly Orson Welles.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

live with fruit posted:

"BvS is good as long as you watch a different version of it" doesn't seem like a real defense of BvS. I guess it sucks for Snyder that WB made him put out a terrible version of his movie but that's studios for you and he's not exactly Orson Welles.
Yeah but the better version exists and is on Blurays readily available? Like, we're not talking about a theoretically existing better version like "oh The Batman would be better if they cut the last scene"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s plenty of movies like that.

Blade Runner is one. I haven’t seen kingdom of heaven but people say it’s night and day compared to the original cut

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

There’s plenty of movies like that.

Blade Runner is one. I haven’t seen kingdom of heaven but people say it’s night and day compared to the original cut

Isn't the original Blade Runner that the studio put out decent though?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

live with fruit posted:

No that loving narration really does kill it dead.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 23, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A3JkjScUKY

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

live with fruit posted:

I mean it's still Blade Runner, it is visually stunning and has that transcendent Rutger Hauer performance. It also initially received mixed reviews and wasn't commercially successful at the time. So if you were walking around in 1987 having only read a handful of negative/mixed reviews from newspapers and then forgot about it for a few years, you might similarly be shocked to hear someone describe it with the kind of abject praise it's regularly talked about nowadays.

But to be clear, nobody is saying BvS is a masterpiece of cinema, only that it is their favorite among certain matchups in a 4x5 grid of Batman movies. People are just politely responding that they liked the director's cut after an initial shocked reaction that anyone could possibly like the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Also:

Rows: The Dark Knight, BvS, Return of the Joker, Batman '66
Columns: The Batman, Lego Batman, The Dark Knight, BvS

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 23, 2022