Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I literally stopped reading the thread till I could put Son of Thunderbeast on ignore. Its the only way the thread is readable. I think a lot of folks didnt so much convert as just shut up.

I tried with Thorsby, but the art is so bad and offputting its unpleasant to look at. I had the same sort of reaction to Achewood at first, but got over it, Achewoods art style is weird and minimalist, but Thorsby's is grotesque.

But drawn like HfD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

snergle posted:

i love that time to hit the sack webcomic so much ive been making edits with it to convey the sense of doing something that sounds good but is bad.

I mean, you ruined the joke. Is that what you were going for

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

there are comics posted that i like less than the wizard master ones. won't say which ones tho, cuz i'm okay with folks liking what they like.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Honestly, hearing that you can get people onto your comic by just being good today, even if it's a rough start is extremely motivating. Like so many people love Thorsby's stuff, and I think that rules. I read every comic that's posted here, but more for analytical? reasons. I like to tear them apart, write down what they're doing that I like, what people in the thread react positively or negatively too. Honestly, just picking your guys brains silently in the background as you say what you liked, don't like, hate, would never read is extremely helpful.

I really like HFD, the art is a really hard sell, but somehow he makes it work, you can see he picks up little things about art to make it easier to read, and by being consistent in how his characters talk, look, move, he sets expectations. It's proof that if you can just do one thing right or unique, it'll make up for almost everything else. People will read unexciting comfy (even somewhat boring,) adventures if the art is good and cute. People will read MSPaint comics made with a mouse if the story and characters are engaging. People will read Achewood, because even though there's nothing really there artistically, it's funny. Finding your niche, that one thing you can do right is so important, because that has to be at the forefront when you create for a public audience I think.

To talk about me some more, (I am the protagonist of the universe,) I'm sure there's a lot of people with me on ignore, especially when I started posting the comic full size. I'm probably going to be timg-ing it I think, and letting people choose whether they want it full size or not. If you hate the big images and want them timg'd please let me know!

Also, if you dislike the comic also let me know. It's hard to get criticism these days, because most people are just going to pass on it and not bother.

I'm also celebrating, my website, outside of the forums that I've mostly been advertising through discords, according to my logs has 1718 hits this year. I got 9 referrals from google, so people are actually searching for me. And from this thread, the byob thread, my thread, and a couple of off-site forums I'm reaching almost 350k hits. If I keep growing at this rate, I'm going to hit half a million in a couple of months. God willing I'll hit a million by the end of the year. I've also hit 10k unique hits, which means that my views are coming from people repeatedly returning to read more. The average amount of pages people read of the comic is 35, and that's a huge chunk.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I'm just glad we're getting all the Thorsby negativity out of the way before the comic actually wraps up.

Uhh, a comic

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

It's been a while since I've done this, but I'd like to check in, and see what people think so far on what I'm doing, if you have an opinion I mean!

I love it, it's got a great feel to it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I literally stopped reading the thread till I could put Son of Thunderbeast on ignore. Its the only way the thread is readable. I think a lot of folks didnt so much convert as just shut up.

I tried with Thorsby, but the art is so bad and offputting its unpleasant to look at. I had the same sort of reaction to Achewood at first, but got over it, Achewoods art style is weird and minimalist, but Thorsby's is grotesque.

HfD really is uniquely hideous. I still really like it though. You can feel the artist constantly smashing up against their own limits- and reaching solutions that are weirdly effective at encoding a whole lot of information visually, while remaining utterly nauseating to look at. In a way, HfD's hyper-evolved monsters represent the artist's problem solving processes. The results are monstrous, but nonetheless effective.
Anyway. Thorsby's disgusting art is quite bearable if you think of it as hieroglyphics and let the aesthetic bit of your brain switch off entirely.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i wish thorsby would start a new comic

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Tree Bucket posted:

HfD really is uniquely hideous. I still really like it though. You can feel the artist constantly smashing up against their own limits- and reaching solutions that are weirdly effective at encoding a whole lot of information visually, while remaining utterly nauseating to look at. In a way, HfD's hyper-evolved monsters represent the artist's problem solving processes. The results are monstrous, but nonetheless effective.
Anyway. Thorsby's disgusting art is quite bearable if you think of it as hieroglyphics and let the aesthetic bit of your brain switch off entirely.

He does understand value though it seems.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samovar posted:

I don't even know where the Ignore function IS.

And the HfD thing is not a bit. I can understand why folk think it is, but it ain't. The art may seem similar to SBaHJ, but despite its amateur (and EXTREME amateur-ness at that) representations, all the detail that is needed is right there.

The story isn't mind-blowing, I'll grant you. It's just very fun. It's like if P.G. Wodehouse did a D&D campaign. And also wasn't racist.

This poster is doing a bit.

You- person reading this assuming everyone must be doing a bit to enjoy that comic- are correct actually in thinking that anyone in here enjoying HfD is just doing so ironically, co-ordinating together to exclude you from something. This is something that everyone is doing, all the time, for everything you don't like too. As soon as you stop saying that you don't like NFTs we'll all stop pretending to and scrap the entire thing to spite you.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Seems like a poor use of icbms, but I'm not a military guy.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Shaking lemur butt posted:

But drawn like HfD

Paging Tree Bucket to the comics thread

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boba Pearl posted:

Also, if you dislike the comic also let me know. It's hard to get criticism these days, because most people are just going to pass on it and not bother.

I've been reading it. From a critical standpoint it's kind of a tough spot because before I thought it was bad and could articulate the reasons, but it's now become good enough that I don't have any strong feelings about it? Like "it's fine and I read it when it's posted here in a thread I read anyway" is not a helpful comment to someone trying to improve, especially because I could say the same about fully 90% of the comics posted here

I guess I've said before I'm impressed with how well you take criticism onboard but maybe you're starting to take it too well, I mean if people are bitching about the comic being too big and putting you on ignore and poo poo because of it I think that's one scenario where you as an artist should be like don't care, gently caress off?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Captain Hygiene posted:

Look buddy the only comic that's gonna make me turn my monitor off is Moon Over June

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Shaking lemur butt posted:

But drawn like HfD

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Nicely done.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Should have been a ghost handing it to him, but tres good otherwise.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Samovar posted:

Should have been a ghost handing it to him, but tres good otherwise.

for you, an alternate version

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

some plague rats posted:

I've been reading it. From a critical standpoint it's kind of a tough spot because before I thought it was bad and could articulate the reasons, but it's now become good enough that I don't have any strong feelings about it? Like "it's fine and I read it when it's posted here in a thread I read anyway" is not a helpful comment to someone trying to improve, especially because I could say the same about fully 90% of the comics posted here

I guess I've said before I'm impressed with how well you take criticism onboard but maybe you're starting to take it too well, I mean if people are bitching about the comic being too big and putting you on ignore and poo poo because of it I think that's one scenario where you as an artist should be like don't care, gently caress off?

Yeah, that makes a ton of sense, and I've heard something similar from my art teacher. I think now if I want to improve I'm gonna have to start reading books and getting tutors. I just bought Framed Ink, so that'll be a good night time read. I honestly think at this point I'm just compliment fishing because I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing now, and I can see my growth.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Mx. posted:

:discourse:

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

loving hell, that's wonderful.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

e-dt posted:

And it's time for:

The music was perfect: it was Classical

This machine can tell puberty from non-puberty

Well, I don't know, how do you end up as the terrified eye in the nachos

Thermometer lane!

I like Doctor Andretti's appearances. He seems at first to be a dr spaceman/dr nick analogue, but given how inventive and effective his treatments are, he's actually a hyper competent surgeon.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

https://nellucnhoj.com/

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

good news, it's that comic you hate!

seats are arranged for the owls, although that mouthy one probably doesn't want to put much weight on its rear end at present, having been the meat in an Owl Sandwich

stunningly, the small temple depicted with images of owls sheltering is used to shelter owls

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I genuinely like HFD and if someone posts another Thorsby comic then I will read along with that in eager joy as well. This is honestly not a bit.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Huh, somehow this whole time I thought the lyrics were “I’m not gonna stand in your way”

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

good news, it's that comic you hate!

Who the gently caress could hate owl comic?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Kit Walker posted:

Who the gently caress could hate owl comic?

:freep:A DIRTY COMMUNUBALIST THAT'SS WHO!

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I don't post much in this thread but honestly once HFD is done all pyf comic threads should just be closed and no more made.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

organburner posted:

I don't post much in this thread but honestly once HFD is done all pyf comic threads should just be closed and no more made.

Same but for Nedroid.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Aramoro posted:

I hate HfD as well as its terrible garbage and I'm still convinced the people saying they love it are doing bit. But I still don't ignore it for this reason, makes finding a good comic so much better.

Its not a bit or a troll, I also thought that at first but I was wrong. Some folks just like weirdo outsider art.

Though I will say that at this point there is a chunk of the internet thats so deep into intentional contrarianism that the line between "actual opinion" and "troll opinion" doesn't really exist anymore. I am certain if someone started posting Moon Over June, it would find an authentic defender.

I ignore at least partially cause I have an older android and not great wireless signal and the comics were a mile long and getting posted 5 at a time, multiple times per page. The thread was unreadable in both a figurative and literal sense.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
honestly, I'm only really here for whomp

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I like HfD because its the kind of plot which makes absolutely zero loving sense at a glance, but if you follow along it had genuinely clever writing moments that the art hides because you can chalk something up to him being a poo poo artist making a mistake. The art itself is not good, but he foreshadows a lot of stuff which demands you pay attention to his lovely art because there are important details hidden within. I'm genuinely going to reread all of it once the last panel is posted to find other foreshadowing moments

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I assume all the people claiming they don't like HfD are doing a bit.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mx. posted:

Thank you!!!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
the people pretending that HfD exists are doing a bit. HfD isn't real, just like ghosts.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
I literally lurk this thread just for HfD. In threads past I've seen it recommended, but never got past the art style. This time... it clicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Coffee Grindr posted:

I literally lurk this thread just for HfD. In threads past I've seen it recommended, but never got past the art style. This time... it clicked.

Yeah, for me it took until the end of that magic portal monsters arc to really click, but I've enjoyed it ever since, and having someone posting it in the thread each day whether I liked it or not helped me get to that point.

I still wouldn't call it one of my favourite webcomics, but the things it does do well are rare to see done well. I haven't seen that kind of plotted chaos since the first season of Love Advice From The Great Duke Of Hell, and maybe before that some of the early acts of Homestuck?

Tenebrais has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Mar 23, 2022