Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

VitalSigns posted:

You also seem to have selectively quoted a lot ie. The part where the Russian government says everything is fine and it's all greedy sugar hoarders causing the problem and curiously left out analysis contradicting the government like

Emphasis mine

The article does not appear to be making the point that everything is fine and the sanctions aren't hurting average Russians idk

Inflation is rising across the entire world and has been for a year. Russia's inflation rate is lower than the U.S. and is not the result of sanctions.

You can predict that there will be harsher sanctions in the future that do end up starving Russians, but the article is explicitly not about anyone starving and not about sanctions. It just isn't. Claiming that the article is about Russians starving because of sanctions is 100% wrong.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Inflation is rising across the entire world and has been for a year. Russia's inflation rate is lower than the U.S. and is not the result of sanctions.

You can predict that there will be harsher sanctions in the future that do end up starving Russians, but the article is explicitly not about anyone starving and not about sanctions. It just isn't. Claiming that the article is about Russians starving because of sanctions is 100% wrong.

Watching you argue that sanctions aren't doing what sanctions are specifically designed to do is sure a fun derail. Its almost like you should just take the L and admit the Biden administration made the situation much worse.

Or in Psaki's words: "We have basically crushed the Russian economy"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Leon, people in the US are starving and desperate for food: https://www.savethechildren.org/us/...going%20hungry.

quote:

Since March 2020, food insecurity rates across the nation for families with children have risen by nearly two-thirds. Close to 1 in 5 U.S. families reported in December that they did not have enough food. Black and Hispanic children have been disproportionately impacted — they are twice as likely as white children to face hunger in America.

Sadly, today, the U.S. continues to lag behind most peer countries in meeting the needs of children and families during the pandemic. In Save the Children’s recent report, Childhood in the Time of COVID*, we examine the multiple hardships, including hunger, that are making it more difficult for children to reach their full potential. Simply put, going back to “normal” will not be enough for these kids.

You couldn't have picked a worse comparison if you tried.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This is just your opinion and is directly contradicted by the article which says that sanctions are contributing to the crash in the ruble, as is expected because of course demand for the currency will drop if Russia is cut off from international banking (the Biden administration has also taken credit for quote "caus[ing] the russian economy to crater")
https://mobile.twitter.com/POTUS/status/1501261304874549253

It's hard to even chalk this up to poor reading comprehension on your part since you had to edit a quote to make it sound like it supported your position, and I don't see how you can leave out important words like "Although" or literally the main independent clause of a sentence by accident

E: you are correct to say that hoarding sugar and empty shelves don't mean anyone is starving yet but it ain't a great sign and the sanctions are responsible, or at least contributing since war is disruptive and some amount would be happening anyway

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 23, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

Leon, people in the US are starving and desperate for food: https://www.savethechildren.org/us/...going%20hungry.

You couldn't have picked a worse comparison if you tried.

They aren't because of Black Friday or sanctions. That was the literal point.

Bishyaler posted:

Watching you argue that sanctions aren't doing what sanctions are specifically designed to do is sure a fun derail. Its almost like you should just take the L and admit the Biden administration made the situation much worse.

Or in Psaki's words: "We have basically crushed the Russian economy"

You just didn't read the article. It's not a huge deal, but you can't post the literal opposite conclusion of the article and then assert that your incorrect statement is right by citing the article you didn't read.

You can predict that there will be sanctions on sugar or people starving in the future. But, you are wildly incorrect to say that the article you linked supports the claim that "people are starving" and it is a direct result of sanctions.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

You said the article said "sanctions are starving Russians," but actually it said "sanctions will starve Russians,". Five Pinocchios and a million years of poster jail for you.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

This is just your opinion

It is not.

Please find a source that people in Russia are starving due to lack of sugar that is a direct result of sanctions.

If you think that the original assertion is correct, then you are mistaken. If you don't, then we don't disagree.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It is not.

Please find a source that people in Russia are starving due to lack of sugar that is a direct result of sanctions.

If you think that the original assertion is correct, then you are mistaken. If you don't, then we don't disagree.
I was talking about the part where you said the sanctions aren't causing inflation, which you should know since you are ignoring the quote from the article that says it, and the official statement from the Biden administration agreeing with it

But yes your nitpick that no one is actually starving due to this, that we know of, yet, is correct but at least according to the article which predicts a "looming standard of living crisis" it's not unreasonable to say it's coming either.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

I was talking about the part where you said the sanctions aren't causing inflation, which you should know since you are ignoring the quote from the article that says it, and the official statement from the Biden administration agreeing with it

But yes your nitpick that no one is actually starving due to this, that we know of, yet, is correct but at least according to the article which predicts a "looming standard of living crisis" it's not unreasonable to say it's coming either.

I feel like "read the article you are posting" isn't an incredibly high standard to adhere too. I'm pretty sure it is one of the few actual rules. After he posted it, there were a dozen posts following it of people taking his word for it that people were starving and that there were sanctions on sugar.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I feel like "read the article you are posting" isn't an incredibly high standard to adhere too. I'm pretty sure it is one of the few actual rules. After he posted it, there were a dozen posts following it of people taking his word for it that people were starving and that there were sanctions on sugar.

Get his rear end

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

You don't need a sanction on a specific item for that item to become unattainable under sanctions.

People are only punching each other in the face over a food item in a crippled economy, only a fool could infer that food insecurity is imminent. I will now insist that everyone broke the rules by not reading.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

After he posted it, there were a dozen posts following it of people taking his word for it that people were starving and that there were sanctions on sugar.

There were dozens of posts about how sanctions were bad and lead to the average citizenry starving. The article it self was about people fighting over sugar, brought on by the panic caused by the sanctions and fear regarding future scarcity. You are the only person dying on this particular weird hill, because you seem to be the only person arguing that the sanctions are cool and good.

Edit: also of course no one is literally starving from not getting to eat sugar you dingus lol

Edit 2: you should specifically link the dozen posts saying the thing you are saying happened

Cow Bell fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 23, 2022

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

If companies like Apple have no problem "soft sanctioning" Russia in a way that actually hurts the average Russian worker that has less power over their government than we do here in the US more than they hurt that maligned government itself, they should be willing to do the same in Texas and Florida until the trans panic and don't say gay bills are overturned.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Someone (I think Leon) pointed out in the last CE thread that McAuliffe lost the Virginia race last year bc of olds' voting. Turns out that was bc youngs dropped off in voting:

quote:

Forgiving student debt may not be a panacea for Biden and Democrats’ young voter woes, but it ranks high on the list of priorities for that voting bloc. Tom Bonier, chief executive of the Democratic data firm TargetSmart, said that last year’s elections in New Jersey, Virginia and polling all point toward depressed youth turnout come November.

In Virginia, Democrats were stunned by former Gov. Terry McAuliffe’s loss in the gubernatorial race last fall. In a new analysis, Bonier attributes it largely in part to a drop in young voters. In 2017 young voters made up some 9.7 percent of the electorate compared to 14.6 percent in 2020. But in 2021 that dropped to 9.1 percent.

“There wasn’t a scenario where Terry McAuliffe could have won with that level of youth turnout,” said Bonier, who said Democrats are unlikely to see a youth vote rivaling the last midterm that ushered the party into a commanding House majority. “For Democrats to hold on to control of the House and the Senate, we don’t have to hit exactly those 2018 highs but we do need to get close to them.”

From a story about Biden dicking around on forgiving student-loan debt, and how that might affect future elections.

Another story linked from that one, on the pressure from the loan industry to resume payments:

quote:

SoFi, one of the largest student refinance companies, told investors earlier this month that the Biden administration’s last extension of the payment freeze in December was expected to reduce the company’s profits by $20 million to $25 million in the first quarter of this year. [willa note: :qq: ]

The company is one of several private student lenders that, in recent months, have stepped up their fight to get the Biden administration to stop — or at least curtail — the unprecedented freeze on federal student loan payments that’s now entering its third year.

The companies argue that the sweeping payment pause is a wasteful and unfair subsidy to borrowers who don’t need it, and they’re warning it will further exacerbate rising inflation.

Several private student lenders and their lobbyists have reached out to Democratic and Republican offices on Capitol Hill to counter the high-profile calls from Democrats asking for another extension. And they’ve voiced concerns to the Biden administration, where a decision on the issue is once again pending among senior aides at the White House ahead of the May expiration of the existing relief.

And, of course, there's the bad optics of continuing forbearance:

quote:

Lobbyists for SoFi have separately circulated a two-page document to congressional offices titled, “Back to Normal Means Ending the Student Loan Payment Pause.”

That echoes some concerns that Biden administration officials have expressed internally in the past. Continuously extending the federal student loan payment pause, those officials have argued, undercuts the administration’s messaging about the economic recovery and efforts to return to normal amid rollbacks of pandemic restrictions.

The SoFi document argues that it would be “unnecessary” to again extend the payment pause and warns that it would contribute to sky-high levels of inflation. The company, at previous points throughout the pandemic, has also pitched lawmakers on legislative language that would have forced the Education Department to restrict the payment pause only to borrowers who were unemployed or otherwise economically distressed.

Hmm, who will have the upper hand here? Holders of the largest category of consumer debt in the country, or the FIRE lobbyists who are the lifeblood of our politicians' campaigns? :iiam:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

Someone (I think Leon) pointed out in the last CE thread that McAuliffe lost the Virginia race last year bc of olds' voting. Turns out that was bc youngs dropped off in voting:

From a story about Biden dicking around on forgiving student-loan debt, and how that might affect future elections.

Another story linked from that one, on the pressure from the loan industry to resume payments:

And, of course, there's the bad optics of continuing forbearance:

Hmm, who will have the upper hand here? Holders of the largest category of consumer debt in the country, or the FIRE lobbyists who are the lifeblood of our politicians' campaigns? :iiam:

the Virginia Model turning out to be 'tell younger voters you'll do things for them, once in power tell them to eat poo poo and gently caress off, then be shocked when they don't vote for you' does put a neat little bow on that dumb chapter of our history

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
"Not forcing younger people to restart their student loan payments is helping drive inflation!" is one hell of a take :magemage:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the Virginia Model turning out to be 'tell younger voters you'll do things for them, once in power tell them to eat poo poo and gently caress off, then be shocked when they don't vote for you' does put a neat little bow on that dumb chapter of our history

Could you give some examples of this pattern? I’m not familiar enough with Northam’s term to know exactly what you’re talking about. What did VA Dems promise young voters and how did they tell them to gently caress off? (Genuine question.)

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
It's kind of amazing that the Democratic Party has openly identified that a.) obtaining the Millennial vote is crucial to winning elections and b.) have identified that pressure from student loans is single biggest issue affecting that group and are still dead set on NOT attracting this crucial voting block by addressing their most pressing issue.

Obviously it's because of lobbyists, but it's still baffling to me they're willing to march towards failure so long as the money keeps coming in.

:capitalism:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

Could you give some examples of this pattern? I’m not familiar enough with Northam’s term to know exactly what you’re talking about. What did VA Dems promise young voters and how did they tell them to gently caress off? (Genuine question.)

the big one is minimum wage; miraculously while they had control of state government nobody was ever able to get around to scheduling a vote on increasing it

then that Lee Carter rear end in a top hat made a show out of scheduling a vote on whether or not they should vote on it and the Virginia democratic party made a great show of saying 'no, gently caress off, we do not want to raise the minimum wage'

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Velocity Raptor posted:

It's kind of amazing that the Democratic Party has openly identified that a.) obtaining the Millennial vote is crucial to winning elections and b.) have identified that pressure from student loans is single biggest issue affecting that group and are still dead set on NOT attracting this crucial voting block by addressing their most pressing issue.

Obviously it's because of lobbyists, but it's still baffling to me they're willing to march towards failure so long as the money keeps coming in.

:capitalism:

There's lots of behaviors exhibited by the Democrat Party that can only be interpreted as some variation of: "Fundraising is easier when we aren't in power".

If money is their north star, why would we ever rely on them to be an effective counter to the GOP's creeping fascism.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

If companies like Apple have no problem "soft sanctioning" Russia in a way that actually hurts the average Russian worker that has less power over their government than we do here in the US more than they hurt that maligned government itself, they should be willing to do the same in Texas and Florida until the trans panic and don't say gay bills are overturned.

Speaking of which, the Florida Dem Party, in its quest to maintain the title of worst Dem state party in the country (among some stiff competition, mind you), initially scheduled its main annual fundraiser at a Disney property & announced it on Monday, before the party's LGBTQ caucus convinced them otherwise.

And good old Charlie Crist, renowned for his strong stances & non-equivocating statements, had this to say:

quote:

Rep. Charlie Crist (D-Fla.) tweeted that “it’s prudent the party consider other options” while Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried called on others in the party to boycott the event.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's also interesting in that I remember one of the arguments that Biden would extend the moratorium and/or do some forgiveness was that there's no lobby to make people pay federally owned loans because it's the government collecting the interest not the banks.

But turns out there is a lobby because you have all these predatory companies lurking around sucking money off the system from servicers to contractors to lenders and whoops can't suck out those sweet profits off the exploitation if the government puts the exploitation on pause

Perusing Wikipedia, SoFi's model seems to be locating the lowest risk students and offering them better rates than the government rate to snap up the least risky borrowers, so it makes sense that an interest moratorium would cut into their business since government loans are currently charging 0%

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the big one is minimum wage; miraculously while they had control of state government nobody was ever able to get around to scheduling a vote on increasing it

then that Lee Carter rear end in a top hat made a show out of scheduling a vote on whether or not they should vote on it and the Virginia democratic party made a great show of saying 'no, gently caress off, we do not want to raise the minimum wage'

I think you are thinking of Right to Work. That was the issue where Lee got the local unions, DSA, and Democratic establishment mad at him.

Virginia passed a minimum wage increase that is scheduled to further increase each year for the next few years. Cancelling the subsequent raises is one of the things that Youngkin and the new House Republican majority have as part of their "Get Virginia Back to Work" plan. The original bill passed in 2020 and the repeal passed a few months ago, but it failed because there is a 1-vote Democratic majority in the state Senate that voted down the repeal.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Bishyaler posted:

There's lots of behaviors exhibited by the Democrat Party that can only be interpreted as some variation of: "Fundraising is easier when we aren't in power".

If money is their north star, why would we ever rely on them to be an effective counter to the GOP's creeping fascism.

there are two honest answers to this question: desperation on the lower end, and fandom on the higher end.

there have always been people who will turn presidents into weird celebrity totems, but one of the increasingly worrying things is watching the process sink down to lower and lesser politicians

in a world where no politician can offer you anything material, what can you expect of a campaign other than it provides you an entertaining character to root for.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

I think you are thinking of Right to Work. That was the issue where Lee got the local unions, DSA, and Democratic establishment mad at him..

gently caress, so I was!

pretty sure that he'd managed to piss off everyone beforehand and the right to work stunt was him trying an unsuccessful Hail Mary to save his political career, but it was convenient for both him and his enemies to say 'yup, it's the right to work thing that's why Lee's on the outs, and nothing else he's done'

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

I mean, it should be obvious that McAuliffe would've done better among young voters had he announced that his party was responsible for relieving student debt than he did campaigning alongside limp conservative noodle Bill Kristol.

The state parties, although it might appear otherwise, do not exist in a non-national vacuum, and touting what's going on in D.C. when the party holds the presidency and both houses of Congress would be a no-brainer under an effective majority, especially when it comes to executive actions for which the rotating-villain excuses can't be trotted out.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

It's also interesting in that I remember one of the arguments that Biden would extend the moratorium and/or do some forgiveness was that there's no lobby to make people pay federally owned loans because it's the government collecting the interest not the banks.

But turns out there is a lobby because you have all these predatory companies lurking around sucking money off the system from servicers to contractors to lenders and whoops can't suck out those sweet profits off the exploitation if the government puts the exploitation on pause

This quote from the story tickled me, bc it shows the irony of revolving-door politics:

quote:

The group is led by Garry Reeder, who was chief of staff to Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Director Rich Cordray during the Obama administration. Cordray, who is now the Biden administration’s student aid chief, is overseeing the Education Department’s plans to restart federal student loan payments.

“The American Fintech Council supports a targeted moratorium and targeted relief,” Reeder said in a statement to POLITICO. “The Executive Branch’s appropriate response from March 2020 needs to be tailored to maximize the support for the most vulnerable and minimize the subsidy for high-income borrowers.”

Reminds me of how Marilyn Tavenner, head of CMS under Obama, left that job to head the insurance lobby group America's Health Insurance Plans.

eta: And of course the lobbyists are using means-testing as a bargaining chip, secure in the knowledge that poorer debtors aren't their cup of tea since they're riskier for private-loan offerings, and savvily aiming toward the liberal sweet spot of providing relief for only the most "deserving."

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 23, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The KBJ hearings seem to be going pretty normally.

quote:

Tillis: I want you to take a position on adding justices to court. You appeared at events hosted by radical groups that want to expand the Supreme Court, but you say that you won't address your personal opinion on the matter because it is a "political" matter. This isn't even an "I can't recall" situation. You are just not telling this committee.

I'm also deeply concerned about your comments on the need for “empathy” in sentencing.

On trans issues:

quote:

Blackburn: How can you make rulings on the rights of women and deciding who is or is not a woman when you are not a biologist and therefor could not define a woman?

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1506450993801842689

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1506635233415897100

quote:

Graham: You gave child rapists sentences that would result in them getting released from prison at some point and advocated for mandatory reviews of life sentences. I think most Americans would agree that, at the very least, they should be dying in prison and not out on the streets again.

Jackson: I think these cases very seriously. That these cases include the notion, by many defendants .. that they are not actually focused on what's happening to the children. It's not just about how much time someone spends in prison.

quote:

Hawley: You consistently gave child predators a lower sentence than prosecutors wanted. Do you think you know better than them? I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

Jackson: Judges are doing the work of assessing in each case, a number of factors that are set forward by Congress. All against the backdrop of heinous criminal behavior. But the guidelines are no longer mandatory, Congress has not corrected the Supreme Court’s determination

quote:

Graham: What faith are you by the way?”

Jackson: Protestant. Personally, my faith is very important.

Graham: How often do you go to church?

Jackson: I'm reluctant to say how often I go to church. But, as you know, there is no religious test in the constitution.

Graham: I go to church three times per year. This isn't your fault ma'am, but I am angry that we have to assume that all liberal women of faith are well-qualified and sincere and you get run out of town if you even question it. Conservative women are treated like an F'n nut. This stuff needs to stop. If you express your faith as a conservative, all of a sudden you're an F'n nut. And we're tired of it. And it's not going to happen to you. But it just appalls me that we can have such a system in America.

quote:

Cornyn: You have called Former President George W. Bush and Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld "war criminals" in past speeches. Why would you do that? It seems so out of character.

Jackson: I'd have to take a closer look at the context.

Cornyn: Is that the language of someone who is going to take in all the facts and impartially judge?

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1506383092000464904

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 23, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

hawley finds the real victim of child pornography, himself

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Not a surprise really, but it is kind of wild that nobody will look twice at Lindsay Graham saying that people accused of sex crimes shouldn't get due process and should just be executed without trial or appeal instead.

Ted Cruz has also spent his entire time allotment for questions asking about Georgetown Day School's radical CRT agenda for preschoolers and asking if KBJ thinks babies are racist.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1506345537741770757

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Yeah, "what if my kids stumble across child porn online and I have to explain that to them" is probably the 74th or 75th most pressing issue with child porn.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The projection is eternal, much like Ted Cruz's obsession with it, yet his mysterious friendship with a child pornographer being a non-issue

https://twitter.com/santiagomayer_/status/1506649831107809282?s=20&t=d34cDzFxbhOCGp36G9nYQw

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

If I was a pedophile and was worried my children would find my stash of kiddie porn, I would burn my kiddie porn and then [CONTENT REDACTED] to protect all children.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The KBJ hearings seem to be going pretty normally.

Marsha Blackburn is also not a biologist yet has no problem voting against LGBT protection legislation as if she can somehow define genders and sexual orientation
:thunk:

CommieGIR posted:

The projection is eternal, much like Ted Cruz's obsession with it, yet his mysterious friendship with a child pornographer being a non-issue

https://twitter.com/santiagomayer_/status/1506649831107809282?s=20&t=d34cDzFxbhOCGp36G9nYQw

Ted Cruz, unsurprisingly, does not think Josh Duggar should've been executed without due process.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why do people here hate Lee Carter now? Why is he an “rear end in a top hat”?

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah same here. Knowing they did a minimum wage increase sounds significant to me.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Josh Hawley thinking out loud during a Senate hearing, yikes.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah same here. Knowing they did a minimum wage increase sounds significant to me.

He did an anti :decorum: by forcing the state congress to vote on a bill for medicare for all, or maybe it was a minimum wage bill, either way, it was a wildly popular "left" thing that he forced a vote on, before other bills that had been stalled in the state house for years.

That's it. That's the controversy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

punk rebel ecks posted:

I legitimately still don't know why the local unions and DSA decided he was an rear end in a top hat. The issue they cited was that he turned right to work repeal into a selfish self-promotion thing for his Gubernatorial run that he knew wouldn't pass anyway and made sure it wouldn't get a vote. But, the bill was dead in committee for multiple years, so its not like it was on the verge of passing and he made it a joke.

The main thing other elected office holders were mad about was that he "messed up the legislative calendar" by trying to force a vote for something that wasn't going to pass and didn't tell anyone beforehand, so nobody was prepared and they had to delay votes on other things and he "disrespected" his colleagues by not warning anyone and they voted it down 83-13.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not a Virginian but iirc he's way too online and spent a lot of time getting into Twitter beefs, late-night tweeting about his previous marriage, stuff like that.

And as mentioned he pissed off a lot of the activists, labor unions, and DSA that got him elected by trying to force a vote in the VA legislature. Many groups viewed it as a stunt that put optics ahead of actual policy during a period when Dems were pushing through a lot of pretty good stuff.

edit: and yeah he tried to run for Governor and at that point didn't have much support, lost reelection.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Cornyn: You have called Former President George W. Bush and Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld "war criminals" in past speeches. Why would you do that? It seems so out of character.

I especially hate this horseshit. Yeah, John - they were loving war criminals. They ordered war crimes and then commissioned bullshit legal memos to say they weren't actually war crimes. They should have been delivered in chains to The Hague, and one day I hope they will be. There you go, Senator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Willa Rogers posted:

Alcohol-related deaths in the U.S. soared by 25 percent during the first year of the pandemic:

I wonder whether anyone's done the math on the extent to which "excess deaths" were caused by pandemic-adjacent numbers like these.

Best the CDC can do is split these out among subgroups like so. According to their modeling, looks like any "adjacent" deaths are a percent-level effect at most, compared to things like heart disease and hypertension.

Edit: obviously many alcoholics die of these things in the end, but first-order alcohol-related deaths (crashes, overdoses, suicides, etc.) are trivially small compared to the causes shown