Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yeah, it’s kind of fun in a tourist in history dork Way, but as an American I never want to actually have to live under that, just on principal. That said it’s hard to admit that’s it’s not a good tourist racket.

Also with the Lord Commander of trolling, Prince Phillip dead, what’s the point? Just wind it down and extinguish the line after the next one, probably not enough time to do it Liz but, Charles should be enough time. And make a mutual split, and everyone can just agree yeah we’re done, as it would be the most British way of dealing with things, or maybe that’s more Canadian?

That said protect the British Museum and all its stolen stuff to the very end… if you never seen the James Acaster bit on the British Museum you should.

Let's not forget the UK has an entire legislative body made of hereditary nobles and people appointed by the crown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
In Canada we call that the senate.

It’s also completely useless and has no practical decision making ability. Getting rid of it comes up on progressive parties’ platforms all the time but it never goes anywhere.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If we abolish all nobility how will I be acknowledged when I win the lotto and also am awarded a peerage for saving the world? I am a temporarily embarrassed James bond you know? If we tax the rich what happens when I'm one of the rich!?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

M_Gargantua posted:

If we abolish all nobility how will I be acknowledged when I win the lotto and also am awarded a peerage for saving the world? I am a temporarily embarrassed James bond you know? If we tax the rich what happens when I'm one of the rich!?

With coke and hookers like normal people, and bad financial planning like Lowtax.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Let's not forget the UK has an entire legislative body made of hereditary nobles and people appointed by the crown.

Now, that's not entirely fair. There are a bunch of bishops as well

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I think ceremony is important in movement as a way for people to take the poo poo seriously. So I propose that the Royal Family keep on, but just as idols. Literal decorated golden idols. They can get wheeled out on trucks to important events to add the necessary gravitas, continue to create jobs by needing drivers and polishers, and still have the money saved. Turn the palace into a council estate. Bing bong I'm having the good ideas today

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
How about instead we make them actual kpop style idols?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I mean we can underpay and exploit them but that's the only difference I think

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

M_Gargantua posted:

Do we have to listen to charles sing?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

That's even worse!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Quite true. I have no clue why I always found these vestiges of non democratic rule neat and cool as a kid. I suspect it’s mostly from not having to live there and being a history nerd.

Related

https://twitter.com/aruproytweets/status/1506280871749464079?s=21

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Quite true. I have no clue why I always found these vestiges of non democratic rule neat and cool as a kid. I suspect it’s mostly from not having to live there and being a history nerd.

Related

https://twitter.com/aruproytweets/status/1506280871749464079?s=21

Is the average Brit aware that they are the definition of evil empire to the rest of the world?

Like, we rewrote the definition to fit Britain, much as I sure everyone else is rewriting it to fit America in there

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Oopa London Style

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Current event: Charli XCX is a great artist to follow cause instead of years between bespoke projects, she’s gonna drop 30-45 minutes of good music every 12 months or so.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If y'all haven't seen yet, the SCOTUS continues to gently caress everything up by reversing the Wisconsin supreme court via the shadow docket and tossed the congressional maps that everyone agreed to use.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RFC2324 posted:

Is the average Brit aware that they are the definition of evil empire to the rest of the world?

Like, we rewrote the definition to fit Britain, much as I sure everyone else is rewriting it to fit America in there

It’s interesting how the US public and FDR and other leaders, were very not keen on helping England retain its colonies as most Americans found it extremely gross and against their values. Defeat German, yes, ensure they kept India after the war, no.

Yes, I know I know…but it’s interesting that was the US view.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Marshal Prolapse posted:

It’s interesting how the US public and FDR and other leaders, were very not keen on helping England retain its colonies as most Americans found it extremely gross and against their values. Defeat German, yes, ensure they kept India after the war, no.

Yes, I know I know…but it’s interesting that was the US view.

I mean, we are obviously anti-colonialist here, and if you could get us holdings like Guam popularly described as colonies I betcha they would become either states or independent real quick.

Semantics rule the world

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RFC2324 posted:

I mean, we are obviously anti-colonialist here, and if you could get us holdings like Guam popularly described as colonies I betcha they would become either states or independent real quick.

Semantics rule the world

True, I know the US hates that they’re on a UN list on countries controlled by other countries ( I forget the exact name), and they have a point as “US colonies” are self governing (now) and among other things, not like traditional British, French, or other European colonies (or hell even those fake countries South Africa made up during Apartheid) in tons of respects. That said I fully favor them having the ability to make a choice on status quo, state, or say a compact like Micronesia has, or being fully independent…well with the proviso of us keeping those bases, and paying a fair leasing price.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Mr. Nice! posted:

If y'all haven't seen yet, the SCOTUS continues to gently caress everything up by reversing the Wisconsin supreme court via the shadow docket and tossed the congressional maps that everyone agreed to use.

JusT voTe

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Let me tell you a story about US support for a little colony called French Indochina

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
legendary girlboss madeline albright is dead

'Lesley Stahl on U.S. sanctions against Iraq: We have heard that a half million children have died. I mean, that’s more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?

Secretary of State Madeleine Albright: I think this is a very hard choice, but the price–we think the price is worth it.

—60 Minutes (5/12/96)'

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
WHY CAN'T IT BE KISSINGER?! Every god drat time.

E: Looking at her wiki it seems her list of war crimes grew in 2010 with public support of Herbalife

:lmao: get hosed and rest in piss you ghoul

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 23, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Look it would be great if Kissinger died but I'll take whatever infanticidal maniac that helped to destabilize the world and gently caress us over for good that happens to die at this point

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The only issue is they're dying of old age

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

maffew buildings posted:

'Lesley Stahl on U.S. sanctions against Iraq: We have heard that a half million children have died. I mean, that’s more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?

Secretary of State Madeleine Albright: I think this is a very hard choice, but the price–we think the price is worth it.

—60 Minutes (5/12/96)'

Why the gently caress is Kissenger still alive? Better yet, how?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Soul Dentist posted:

The only issue is they're dying of old age

lol yup

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

If you're Satan, do you want that evil gently caress down there with you trying to consolidate power and run things behind your back?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

No one has found the phylactery.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

—60 Minutes (5/12/96)'

I like how her death is listed under her "Controversies" section of Wikipedia.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

maffew buildings posted:

—60 Minutes (5/12/96)'

lol legendary girlboss! Zing!

Beyond the fact that she did not independently develop that sanction's regime and its existence predated her appointment to the UN by 3 years AND she subsequently worked to correct the record about her actual position there is also the fact that recent studies suggest that the half a million number is totally bogus.

Here is a transcript from when DEMOCRACY NOW heroically confronted her sometime in 2004:

AMY GOODMAN: Secretary Albright, the question I have always wanted to ask: Do you regret having said, when asked do you think the price was worth it—

MADELEINE ALBRIGHT: I have said 5,000 times that I regret it. It was a stupid statement. I never should have made it, and if everybody else that has ever made a statement they regret would stand up, there would be a lot of people standing. I have many, many times said it, and I wish that people would report that I have said it. I wrote it in my book that it was a stupid statement.

AMY GOODMAN: Do you think it laid the groundwork for later being able to target Iraq and make it more acceptable on the part of the Bush administration?

MADELEINE ALBRIGHT: What? You’ve got to be kidding.

AMY GOODMAN: The sanctions against Iraq.

MADELEINE ALBRIGHT: The sanctions against Iraq were put on because Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait. But there never were sanctions against food and medicine. And you people need to know there never were sanctions against food and medicine, and I was responsible for getting food in there and getting Saddam Hussein to pump oil.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
no one gives a poo poo about her hollow regrets

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Dam4real? Can you correct me on all the other times American policy makers killed hundreds of thousands of people and it was actually tight?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

maffew buildings posted:

Dam4real? Can you correct me on all the other times American policy makers killed hundreds of thousands of people and it was actually tight?

This little thing you might have heard of, happened a while back

the French revolution

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

And yet in 2012 she was all "Disgusting Serbs!" which is how you can tell some rear end in a top hat has changed their tune about thinking poor people are worthless!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

maffew buildings posted:

She didn't enact policies that killed hundreds of thousands of people? Did you read what I wrote?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

drat I hadn't thought of it that way, being the face of policy that kills innocent people IS tight good point

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

RFC2324 posted:

No more than the average American :shrug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

lol legendary girlboss! Zing!

Beyond the fact that she did not independently develop that sanction's regime and its existence predated her appointment to the UN by 3 years AND she subsequently worked to correct the record about her actual position there is also the fact that recent studies suggest that the half a million number is totally bogus.

Here is a transcript from when DEMOCRACY NOW heroically confronted her sometime in 2004:

AMY GOODMAN: Secretary Albright, the question I have always wanted to ask: Do you regret having said, when asked do you think the price was worth it—

MADELEINE ALBRIGHT: I have said 5,000 times that I regret it. It was a stupid statement. I never should have made it, and if everybody else that has ever made a statement they regret would stand up, there would be a lot of people standing. I have many, many times said it, and I wish that people would report that I have said it. I wrote it in my book that it was a stupid statement.

AMY GOODMAN: Do you think it laid the groundwork for later being able to target Iraq and make it more acceptable on the part of the Bush administration?

MADELEINE ALBRIGHT: What? You’ve got to be kidding.

AMY GOODMAN: The sanctions against Iraq.

MADELEINE ALBRIGHT: The sanctions against Iraq were put on because Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait. But there never were sanctions against food and medicine. And you people need to know there never were sanctions against food and medicine, and I was responsible for getting food in there and getting Saddam Hussein to pump oil.

You can’t import food and medicine with dollars if you’re not allowed to export anything for dollars. Food not being included in sanctions is a very disingenuous argument that is often used to justify broad sanction regimes that collapse a country’s economy which then results in mass hunger.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

hobbesmaster posted:

You can’t import food and medicine with dollars if you’re not allowed to export anything for dollars. Food not being included in sanctions is a very disingenuous argument that is often used to justify broad sanction regimes that collapse a country’s economy which then results in mass hunger.

The sanctions predate her appointment to be ambassador to the UN by 3 years. It's a policy she inherited. That she attempted to modify the sanctions doesn't make her responsible for them in the first place.

Though again the half-a-million number has been called into question by recent studies https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5717930/

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grip it and rip it posted:

The sanctions predate her appointment to be ambassador to the UN by 3 years. It's a policy she inherited.

And then supported and defended.