Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The main thing other elected office holders were mad about was that he "messed up the legislative calendar" by trying to force a vote for something that wasn't going to pass and didn't tell anyone beforehand, so nobody was prepared and they had to delay votes on other things and he "disrespected" his colleagues by not warning anyone and they voted it down 83-13.

AFAIK this never actually pushed anything off the calendar, but was the explanation given. That and "too online" where it has been claimed his posting about his divorce would have caused a 5% swing against him if not for the valiant boots on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jesus Christ

https://twitter.com/ahoweblogger/status/1506668778368679937?s=21

Overturning a state ruling like this?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Harold Fjord posted:

AFAIK this never actually pushed anything off the calendar, but was the explanation given. That and "too online" where it has been claimed his posting about his divorce would have caused a 5% swing against him if not for the valiant boots on the ground.

What is it that you know that the local unions, DSA and other activists do not? What exactly are they missing in their analysis?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

What is it that you know that the local unions, DSA and other activists do not? What exactly are they missing in their analysis?

that Virginia democrats should have voted to repeal Right to Work, and not retain it, evidently.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

He did an anti :decorum: by forcing the state congress to vote on a bill for medicare for all, or maybe it was a minimum wage bill, either way, it was a wildly popular "left" thing that he forced a vote on, before other bills that had been stalled in the state house for years.

That's it. That's the controversy.

that's the official line, the unofficial line is that the hot-headed ex-troop was implicated in some Lowtax-style domestic violence poo poo. when this came out on twitter a couple of months back Lee came out swinging with one hell of a non-denial.

this explains some of the weird talking around 'how dare he, of all people, force this vote on something we've refused to vote on several years running' at the time

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So according to SCOTUS, red states do not have to redraw maps before an election, but blue/purple states do

https://twitter.com/davidnir/status/1506670824656355329?s=21

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

FlamingLiberal posted:

So according to SCOTUS, red states do not have to redraw maps before an election, but blue/purple states do

This is a pretty blatant abuse and reason infinity+1 why we need to expand the loving court.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

Reading through the decision, it looks like the reasoning was that the Governor created 7 majority black districts and said that he did so on purpose to comply with the voting rights act. The state Supreme Court didn't write their own map and instead used the Governor's.

The conservative majority are arguing that:

1) The state supreme court was supposed to draw their own map and by just rubberstamping the Governor's option, they violated the procedure for how the map should have been made.

2) That based on the decisions in Shelby County and LULAC, the Governor violated the voting rights act because, by creating those majority black districts, he reduced the amount of black voters in competitive districts without a legitimate reason to do so under strict scrutiny rules and thus reduced the power of voters based on their race.

They aren't entirely wrong, but this is definitely the first time that John "literally wrote the majority opinion in Shelby County" Roberts has decided that a racial redistricting case under the voting rights act had to be redone because it was too "harsh" on diluting minority voting power (which, you can argue they did, but the map actually increases the number of minority-majority districts and was supported by the NAACP, so it is hard to argue the Governor was doing it to "dilute" black voting power.)

It's not too crazy that someone could come to that conclusion, but it is insane that Roberts, Alito, and Kavanaugh would apply basically the strictest interpretation possible (which they have not only never done before, but usually fall way on the opposite side of giving the state overwhelming benefit of the doubt) of the voting rights act right after the Merrill decision last month.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The main thing other elected office holders were mad about was that he "messed up the legislative calendar" by trying to force a vote for something that wasn't going to pass and didn't tell anyone beforehand, so nobody was prepared and they had to delay votes on other things and he "disrespected" his colleagues by not warning anyone and they voted it down 83-13.
Oh man I forgot about that what a classic:

Yossarian looked at him soberly and tried another approach, "Is my bill a good bill?"
"It sure is," Doc Daneeka said.
"And it would be political suicide for a Democrat to vote against it?"
"It sure would be, but first you have to get a floor vote on it, that's the rule. "
"Then why won't they schedule a floor vote?"
"Because they don't want to! Then they would have to vote for it or it'd be their fault it failed! So sure you can get the votes to pass your bill easy, but first you have to get them to vote on it at all, and they can just put it to the back of the line every year to make sure it never comes up "
"So the hard part is making the vote happen. That's all. "
"That's all," Doc Daneeka sad. "But it's not hard, forcing the vote is the easiest part of all, any delegate can use a maneuver to force a vote on anything. "
"And then they'll vote for it?" Yossarian asked.
"And then they won't vote for it."
"You mean there's a catch?"
"Sure there's a catch," Doc Daneeka replied, "Any bill that jumps the line can be voted down for bypassing regular order, regardless of the merits, and it's nobody's fault except the person who brought it up."

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that jumping the legislative calendar was the worst thing in the world and therefore you can vote against a bill without anyone accusing you of not wanting to vote for it. The bill was good and no one could vote against it without blame, unless it actually got voted on and then it's bad and anyone could vote against it without blame. As long as nobody voted on it everyone would vote for it, but if they voted on it they'd vote against it. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.

'It's the best there is,' Doc Daneeka agreed.

Yossarian saw it clearly in all its spinning reasonableness. There was an elliptical precision about its perfect pairs of parts that was graceful and shocking, like good modern art, and at times Yossarian wasn't quite sure he saw it at all, just the way he was never quite sure about good modern art

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Every day that passes by I become happier that I canceled my DSA membership.

The organization occasionally does good local things but mana they are a joke sometimes.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

punk rebel ecks posted:

Every day that passes by I become happier that I canceled my DSA membership.

The organization occasionally does good local things but mana they are a joke sometimes.

I'm still on my local chapter's mailing list (because it's amusing to receieve an email every once in a while that starts with "Comrades, " lol) but last I saw their leadership had atrophied and they were basically begging people to show up to the next meeting to try and elect new leaders. Didn't sound very healthy. When I last interfaced with them in 2020 I attended a meeting that had around 10 people show up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is a pretty blatant abuse and reason infinity+1 why we need to expand the loving court.

This is especially damning given McConnell, king of court packing, going on record yesterday saying he's 'Concerned' about Ketanji Brown Jackson's feelings about court packing. Again, its always projection with these fucks.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Florida is now actively refusing to recognize trans athletes, considers being trans cheating, and declaring that only cis athletes can be recognized as winners in sporting matches.

Pretty wild, even given the history of wild anti-trans moves recently.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1506556130390126611

quote:

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said the "NCAA is destroying opportunities for women" and "perpetuating a fraud" by letting transgender women compete in women's sports.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an official proclamation Tuesday declaring a Florida resident the “rightful winner” of an NCAA women’s swimming championship race over transgender swimmer Lia Thomas.

Thomas — the University of Pennsylvania swimmer whose record-breaking season has sparked national debate over whether trans women should compete on female sports teams — became the first transgender athlete to win an NCAA championship last week, placing first in the 500-yard freestyle race at the Division I finals in Atlanta on Thursday.

DeSantis said he would "reject these lies and recognize" University of Virginia swimmer and Florida resident Emma Weyant, who came in second place, as the winner.

"The NCAA's actions serve to erode opportunities for women athletes and perpetuate a fraud against women athletes as well as the public at large," the proclamation read. "Florida rejects the NCAA’s efforts to destroy women’s athletics, disapproves of the NCAA elevating ideology over biology and takes offense at the NCAA trying to make others complicit in a lie."

quote:

Since the start of 2021, 11 states, including Florida, have written trans sports bans into law, according to tallies from the American Civil Liberties Union and the Human Rights Campaign, an LGBTQ advocacy group.

DeSantis cited Florida's version of the law, which he signed last year, in his proclamation over Thomas’ history-making win.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You almost have to respect Roberts' trolling on this.

Taking the reasonable moderate stance of rigorously enforcing the racial provisions of the VRA exactly half the time: whenever he can gently caress black voters or Democrats

I look forward to the erudite op-eds praising his sound middle-of-road judgments like "let's compromise and meet in the middle here: heads I win, tails you lose"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So what did Virginia do when the Democrats were in office? What did they pass other than minimum wage?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This court is just rubbing their blatant partisanship in front of everyone’s faces and the Dems are like ‘sounds good’.

They are blatantly abusing the concept of the ‘shadow docket’ to make decisions on cases without even having hearings.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So what did Virginia do when the Democrats were in office? What did they pass other than minimum wage?

Police reform legislation. Easing of abortion restrictions. Expanded voting rights legislation.

If you haven't reached your WP maximum, you can see an outline of what the GOP is hoping to roll back with Youngkin in the Governor's seat here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/01/11/virginia-general-assembly-session-gop/

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Seems like a good way to get Florida schools barred from participating.

I don't know any organization that would put up with being told some participants insist on declaring themselves the winners of its events.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

Police reform legislation. Easing of abortion restrictions. Expanded voting rights legislation.

If you haven't reached your WP maximum, you can see an outline of what the GOP is hoping to roll back with Youngkin in the Governor's seat here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/01/11/virginia-general-assembly-session-gop/

So what is the argument that the Dems didn’t do enough come from?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Florida is now actively refusing to recognize trans athletes, considers being trans cheating, and declaring that only cis athletes can be recognized as winners in sporting matches.

Pretty wild, even given the history of wild anti-trans moves recently.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1506556130390126611

It's not wild at all. Transgender women are the powerless group they can be performatively cruel to. They'll keep pushing it as long as it plays, and oh boy do conservatives love this issue. They cannot get enough of making fun of transgender women.

They also get the TERFs so it can be bipartisan performative hate.

That lady just wanted to compete in swimming and now she's going to live the next few years in constant fear so that some thumb-shaped walking bowtie can get votes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

punk rebel ecks posted:

You may not know this, because it doesn't come up in these threads very much, but dems bad

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This is just how it's going to be from now on, they would never overturn the entire VRA because a hands-off approach isn't partisan enough for them, they will just rule arbitrarily and thus effectively twist the VRA into doing the opposite of what it says, into a tool to force court-ordered racism on every state instead of just Republican states.

Packed every black voter in your state into some improbable monster district that's all tentacles and curlicues? Gosh golly gee we're not here to read minds, it's impossible to be sure that it wasn't just a big coinkydink!
Not doing that? Well you must have avoided it on purpose because you think racism is wrong ergo you thought about race while you were doing it, ergo you are the real racist, back to the drawing board until you come up with something that would make Bull Connor cum

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

The election results plus:

quote:

a minimum wage hike — from $11 an hour to $12
Is not exactly a huge win.

Of course the police "reform" bill will end up being as toothless as any other because the police are fundamentally flawed as an institution and banning no-knocks and giving more training is insufficient.

I bet running Carter out hurt them more than it helped.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

Of course the police "reform" bill will end up being as toothless as any other because the police are fundamentally flawed as an institution and banning no-knocks and giving more training is insufficient.

I bet running Carter out hurt them more than it helped

Jesus Christ.

Is it wrong that I feel that my state of Oregon is less shifty than most other states? At least we have near $15 per hour state minimum wage, decriminalized drugs, have a high progressive tax and no sales tax, and allow the homeless downtown.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm a bit more "at peace" with the fact that peaceful political change requires relentless vigilance and organizing, even behind the most lackluster of candidates, but McAuliffe ran a remarkably bad campaign that could not find a message it was comfortable with besides "I was good the last time!" and "Trump bad!" Every sign of bad polling was greeted with complacency and a variation of responding with "Virginia always trends against the incumbent!" instead of urgency or even the most minute change in tactics. Democratic voters were all tired and grass roots people I knew were terrified as early as the end of the primary. It was like watching an trainwreck in very slow motion and I personally think it was avoidable with a different candidate. If you retired from active politics for as long as McAuliffe did, you can never and should never go back.

The Democrats did more in Virginia during the last 2 terms in power than I ever imagined was possible in Virginia when I grew up near Richmond during the 80s and 90s. That being said, most people in this forum (and many Virginia voters generally) are younger than I am and understandably have different expectations of what they should be offered and maybe a bit less of Terry's milquetoast centrism would have helped get the voter turnout in Dem areas that was needed.

I'm still mad.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Not that it wasn't already obvious that they didn't really want to repeal Right To Work when they put it at the back of the line year after year with an "oopsie we didn't get around to it again" and with their Bush-voter governor openly opposing it, but it's hard to square their rush to scream that it was about to pass for real until they were forced to vote against it because Lee Carter's name tainted it by association, with them not even giving it lip service in 2021 after they'd successfully run Carter out of politics.

As for why the DSA hates him now, I mean he did expose the state Democratic party as actually opposing positive change instead of playing defense for the establishment like good controlled opposition, which is a slap in the face to everything DSA stands for.

Oh well I'm sure the Democrats have a lock on state government and don't need to strengthen unions or give people another issue to come out and defend at election time to thwart a narrow GOP victory or anything, but idk I haven't really kept up with the news

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
yeah virginia was probably winnable but Democratic leadership, with which McAullife has been conjoined at the hip since the 90s, keeps on falling in love with the idea that they don't have to promise anyone anything as long as they can point to how scary a Republican is.

and when you run on "I'm Not Donald Trump," you leave yourself open to the devastating counterattack "yeah that's great neither am I"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Harold Fjord posted:

Seems like a good way to get Florida schools barred from participating.

I don't know any organization that would put up with being told some participants insist on declaring themselves the winners of its events.

That would require people who are not transgender to actually step up on the behalf of them. Lets see if it happens.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Madeline Albright has died.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/23/politics/madeleine-albright-obituary/index.html

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

rip in piss, to someone who got her chance to reshape the world in her image, and produced unspeakable horrors across the planet

selec
Sep 6, 2003

What’s the correct brooch or pin to wear to signify “a good start”?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Somehow Kissinger still lives

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Harold Fjord posted:

I bet running Carter out hurt them more than it helped.

Again, this is based on what? You keep claiming to know more than the unions and activists on the ground, why can't you tell us all what you know that they do not?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Somehow Kissinger still lives

And Albright's soul still lingers on inside of him, its fading embers providing sustenance to The Eldritch One

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Huh weird I always figured the two of them shared one soul, well not soul, but whatever you call it when some malevolent energy creature assumes human form.

Like whatever the star trek thing was that killed Tasha Yar, it wasn't a soul it was a black oil slick made of the all the discarded evil impulses and negative emotions of some ascended culture

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hah, speak of the devil. Feels like this relates to the discussion from this morning a bit:

quote:

On May 12, 1996, Albright defended UN sanctions against Iraq on a 60 Minutes segment in which Lesley Stahl asked her, "We have heard that half a million children have died. I mean, that's more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?" and Albright replied, "We think the price is worth it."

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Hearing the reason why Lee Carter as pushed out of politics makes me think of him as a hero. I wish the squad had the guts he had. At least he could Force the Vote.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hearing the reason why Lee Carter as pushed out of politics makes me think of him as a hero. I wish the squad had the guts he had. At least he could Force the Vote.

I'm more of a mind that politics is about getting things done. If you're grandstanding to the point that you alienate all of your allies while also failing to accomplish your objective I don't think you're doing it right.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Jaxyon posted:

It's not wild at all. Transgender women are the powerless group they can be performatively cruel to. They'll keep pushing it as long as it plays, and oh boy do conservatives love this issue. They cannot get enough of making fun of transgender women.

They also get the TERFs so it can be bipartisan performative hate.

That lady just wanted to compete in swimming and now she's going to live the next few years in constant fear so that some thumb-shaped walking bowtie can get votes.

poo poo's pretty hosed but it would be amusing in a very mean way to see a trans man absolutely dominate their sport instead. granted, that means subjecting that poor trans man to what i'm sure is going to be some insane levels of cruelty, but nobody ever ever ever seems to remember you can be trans in more than one direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

punk rebel ecks posted:

Truly there is nothing more heroic than destroying your own policy initiative while stabbing all your allies in the back for a publicity stunt. The Libs were quite Owned that day.

Or are we going with "every single person in Virginia politics except Lee Carter including all the worker's rights organizations and unions and every other Progressive and/or Socialist official who burned him specifically because of that horse poo poo is just a Useful Idiot, a Fake Leftist or a Coward," today?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)