Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Tree Dude posted:

A highlight of listening to these older KF episodes has been the investigation into when Alex went from being his regular terrible self to being fully trump-pilled insane.

They started ep46 with June 18, 2015 the day Trump announced his candidacy and proceed from there.

I just got to the MONEY BOMB

I'm up into the 200s. You're in for some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
InfoWars is generally aware of Knowledge Fight, or at least parts thereof. In some of the early days of the podcast, they noticed an InfoWars producer was following them on Twitter.

After the NYT story about them, one of Alex's lackeys spent some time attacking them on air. They only had the NYT story to go on, and even then, they followed Alex's style of only reading the headline, making a story up based on that headline, and then talking about that made-up story while refusing to engage with the actual story any further.

KF's response was to point at it and laugh. They then ignored it, because it wasn't Alex doing it, and thus it was too boring to be worth their attention.

Even if Alex did respond, there would be no real difference. As we've seen in the recent episodes, Alex is generally a bad debater who can only win using Gishgalloping, active misdirection, and generally yelling over people. Dan and Jordan have been quite clear that there is "no point in actually talking to Alex," for that reason at least. It is logistically impossible to have anything approaching genuine conversation with Alex. Even if Knowledge Fight were to become an object of Alex's narcissistic rage, it would still be a one-sided conversation that Dan and Jordan are under no obligation to entertain.

It is my opinion that Alex is nothing more than an object of study. I think Dan and Jordan would agree with that assessment.

It is also worth noting that in the Sandy Hook book that NYT writer published, she said that there were an utterly bizarre amount of media at the Texas-based court hearings aside from her, including an HBO documentary crew. KF is far from the only non-InfoWars thing interested in Alex right now.

If I had to guess, based on everything we know about modern-day Alex, it is probably impossible for him to know anything of substance about Knowledge Fight, at least for anything beyond a nebulous sense that KF exists. Between managing what is left of his company, figuring out the content production schedules for up to 4 hours of syndicated content for five to six days a week, actually filming that content, dealing with the multiple court cases, and then doing the barest minimum to attend to his family and private life... Alex probably genuinely does not have the time to listen to a podcast, much less at 600 episodes. He is genuinely too busy. Unless there is content in it, which Dan and Jordan would not provide, Alex can't spare the time for it.

Even when Lenny Pozner was asking Alex to stop using his dead son as a prop for his agenda, Alex made it very clear that the only way he would even look at Pozner in the face was if he was recording his show at the same time.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think Alex is cunning enough to know that advertising a show that debunks him step by step is incredibly dangerous to him and doesn't want to bring any more attention to them

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I think Alex is cunning enough to know that advertising a show that debunks him step by step is incredibly dangerous to him and doesn't want to bring any more attention to them

It's this. Almost all of his "feuds" are with people where he's already thoroughly poisoned the well. He's safe taking potshots at CNN and New York Times reporters because his followers already believe these are the MAINSTREAM MEDIA and primed to never even look at what they're saying and to automatically disregard any accidental exposure. He can't be assured of the same level of automatic defences being put up if his followers end up at Knowledge Fight. It also really doesn't help his particular style of reportage that KF don't do headlines for him to shout at - to actually give him some ammunition he'd actually have to listen for a bit and that's not a productive use of his time.

Also - probably coincidentally but maybe not - the format of Knowledge Fight is much more dangerous to Alex Jones than any slickly-edited 5 minute video or 10,000 word op-ed. The impression you get from those is "Okay Alex was wrong on *this particular thing* but I'm sure there were loads of other times he was right", because most people consume Infowars passively, in the background, never really actually fully engaging with it but just coming away with impressions with selection bias doing a lot of the work when something very vaguely like one of his predictions actually happens. When Russia rolled into Ukraine a lot of his listeners would have been like "Hey, Alex was predicting wars for ages, he was right again" without remembering that was war with China and he was actually denying predictions of war in Ukraine.

KF - just by sheer amount of material - really does strip away that illusion, and the fact that it can easily be consumed in exactly the same passive, background way as Infowars means you just come away with the memory of "Huh, Alex Jones really isn't right about *anything*, is he?". I don't know if Jones' lizard brain grasps this, but there's just no advantage for him in engaging with them at all.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also - probably coincidentally but maybe not - the format of Knowledge Fight is much more dangerous to Alex Jones than any slickly-edited 5 minute video or 10,000 word op-ed

It's basically the thesis of the podcast.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jordan kind of wears on me sometimes, he's so eager to talk talk talk but he's never been funnier than when he's yelling and cheering for Ayers in that debate ep. In fact he stopped doing the yelling in the background thing in recent eps, or is just me. Either way very funny bit.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I hope they have something special planned for Episode #666

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They don't have guests often but they've lined up an appearance by the Literal Christian Devil for it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
That Harrison Smith guy is spectacularly un-charming isn’t he? He makes Alex sound profound.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BigglesSWE posted:

That Harrison Smith guy is spectacularly un-charming isn’t he? He makes Alex sound profound.

He was the guy celebrating and saying the patriots have seized the government when 1/6 was happening.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

All of the second-string Infowars presenters have that annoying debate nerd feel to their voice, the weirdly flat "DESTROY Liberals with FACTS and LOGIC" affect of Ben Shapiro etc.

I'm not sure if it's literally that *everybody* younger than Jones in right-wing media sounds that way because the way into RWM for millennials is and was the 3-hour Youtube video once a month rather than 4 live hours a day on AM radio like Jones did, or if Jones is just scared of having anyone capable of doing his schtick around, but I can't think of any RWM figure born after 1980 who has that hellfire and brimstone style.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jones started out doing a Rush Limbaugh impression, and as much as Rush was garbage, he knew how to do radio. The Ben Shapiro types don't. Also Jones has occasional shreds of humanity within the shambling mass of his bullshit. The new generation types like Shapiro are automatons designed from birth to spit talking points. There's no person in there, nothing to relate to.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Jones started out doing a Rush Limbaugh impression, and as much as Rush was garbage, he knew how to do radio. The Ben Shapiro types don't. Also Jones has occasional shreds of humanity within the shambling mass of his bullshit. The new generation types like Shapiro are automatons designed from birth to spit talking points. There's no person in there, nothing to relate to.

This is a good point. I do remember when Smith was narrating Jan 6th that even when he was riding that fascist boner on air, he sounded completely damp and boring.

If these schmucks saw the Hindenburg explode in front of them, they’d need a lot more than a slightly sped up voice to appear excited.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I think there's a religious analogy where the sidekicks are akin to ministers for Alex's prophecy. They're diligent, uncreative, and rarely inspiring, but Alex brings the Truth and testifies against reality.

But it's a factor of any cronyism - the underlings are always incompetent.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1506083618153803781?s=21

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Oh no it’s Havana Syndrome

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Havana 'nother does of brain force

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Didn't he say he was sick on the latest episode? I seem to recall they speculating if it were covid (again)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
It turns out it's not a good idea to be broadcasting live (likely from your studio despite claiming you're at home) while your lawyer is claiming you're too sick to do a deposition.

https://twitter.com/drewlarson_news/status/1506352710479753220

Piell fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 23, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
If Alex Jones actually goes to jail over contempt of court I am going to die laughing. Just half assing his way through life has taught Alex nothing about consequences.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

There will be a lot of HIPPA talk in the upcoming days…

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

BigglesSWE posted:

Harrison is absolutely a nazi but he's such a boring person, just unlistenably boring.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
How big did Alex say the Info Wars reach was while under oath at the last deposition (or at least the last one KF covered)? Was it 10% of the English speaking world?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

BigglesSWE posted:

There will be a lot of HIPPA talk in the upcoming days…

Is Dr. Marbles an actual medical doctor? Because I think HIPPA only applies to actual medical doctors and their patients.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tree Dude posted:

How big did Alex say the Info Wars reach was while under oath at the last deposition (or at least the last one KF covered)? Was it 10% of the English speaking world?

Yep, it was a spectacular own goal when trying to defend himself by saying that not many people would have heard him lying about Sandy Hook.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Marsupial Ape posted:

Is Dr. Marbles an actual medical doctor? Because I think HIPPA only applies to actual medical doctors and their patients.

I wouldn’t know, I just know that a lot of angry chuds scream about HIPPA whenever they’re angry about something vaguely medical.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

"Dear Mr. Judge

Alex cannot come to the deposition today as he is not well.

Apologies for the handwriting, I have busted whichever hand I normally write with.

Yours Sincerely.

Alex's Doctor"

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I refuse to believe he wasn't in studio

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

If Alex Jones actually goes to jail over contempt of court I am going to die laughing. Just half assing his way through life has taught Alex nothing about consequences.

The Sandy Hook court case is in a civil court, not a criminal court. The question to ask here is if a civil court can levy a contempt of court charge in the same way that a criminal court can. Being put under oath in a civil court is already something that doesn't seem to affect Alex much, and given at least two of the Sandy Hook cases are already in default judgement territory... If contempt of court is a thing that can even happen here, it probably would've happened already.

It would be funny if Alex did go to jail over this. I just don't think it is within the given remit.

EDIT: Reading into this, the trail this stunt is being pulled on is the one where the victim's families are being presented by Koskoff, Koskoff, & Bieder, which is not the firm that Mark Bankston is from. We're probably not going to learn the details of this from a firsthand account on the show.

Morroque fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 23, 2022

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

A shame😔. That guy clearly enjoys twisting Jones in knots.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Morroque posted:

The Sandy Hook court case is in a civil court, not a criminal court. The question to ask here is if a civil court can levy a contempt of court charge in the same way that a criminal court can. Being put under oath in a civil court is already something that doesn't seem to affect Alex much, and given at least two of the Sandy Hook cases are already in default judgement territory... If contempt of court is a thing that can even happen here, it probably would've happened already.

It would be funny if Alex did go to jail over this. I just don't think it is within the given remit.

EDIT: Reading into this, the trail this stunt is being pulled on is the one where the victim's families are being presented by Koskoff, Koskoff, & Bieder, which is not the firm that Mark Bankston is from. We're probably not going to learn the details of this from a firsthand account on the show.

Contempt of court applies in any court (at least in England and Wales, and of course the US's legal system is heavily based on that). I'd assume civil judges are less inclined to send people to prison than their criminal counterparts, though.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Lol he was actually broadcasting from his studio (and also refused to show up to his deposition today)

quote:

Far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has breached a court order by failing to show up for a deposition in a lawsuit over his false claims about the Sandy Hook massacre, after a judge rebuffed claims that he was too sick to appear.

The Infowars host was scheduled to appear in person at 9am local time in Austin, Texas, on Wednesday to be questioned under oath as part of settlement proceedings in defamation cases he lost against the families of victims killed in the 2012 mass shooting.

But, Mr Jones was a no-show, instead sending along one of his attorneys Norm Pattis, who delivered the news that his client would not be making an appearance.

Connecticut Superior Court Judge Barbara Bellis has now ordered Mr Jones to appear for the deposition on Thursday, saying that “he has not submitted additional evidence for the court to evaluate on the issue of his alleged medical conditions”.

The victims’ families have also filed an emergency motion asking the court to arrest the right-wing extremist for civil contempt and bring him to the court to testify if he fails to show up once again.
On Wednesday, Mr Jones’ attorney admitted to the court that the radio host was broadcasting his show live during Tuesday’s court hearing.

He said that the show was broadcast from Mr Jones’ studio in Austin which “is not located in Mr Jones’ home” - casting doubts on the doctor’s letter that he is staying home.

Piell fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 23, 2022

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Frantically now pressing 'F5' on Podcast Feed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dan implied a Wacky Wednesday for this week, hoping Project Camelot had a good episode.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Grand Fromage posted:

Dan implied a Wacky Wednesday for this week, hoping Project Camelot had a good episode.

Episodes almost always drop at midnight, so if it was going to come out as planned, it would already be out.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Sometimes they drop a half hour or so before midnight, which means that thanks to my bad sleep hygiene I end up listening before I go to bed. Then the next day at work I think, "Oh! It's Monday! That means new Knowledge Fight!!"

I get very excited until I realize that I bamboozled myself via my own terrible memory.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jokes is crazy, but he isn’t stupid. There is no way he didn’t know he wasn’t going to get caught broadcasting while he was supposed to be in court.

As I see it, this is basically a big “gently caress you” to the court. I hope the judge sees it that way too!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

MrMojok posted:

but he isn’t stupid.

Objection, assuming facts not in evidence.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Everett False posted:

Sometimes they drop a half hour or so before midnight, which means that thanks to my bad sleep hygiene I end up listening before I go to bed. Then the next day at work I think, "Oh! It's Monday! That means new Knowledge Fight!!"

I get very excited until I realize that I bamboozled myself via my own terrible memory.

I work 2nd shift and I get to listen on the drive home as soon as a new episode drops.

MrMojok posted:

Jokes is crazy, but he isn’t stupid. There is no way he didn’t know he wasn’t going to get caught broadcasting while he was supposed to be in court.

As I see it, this is basically a big “gently caress you” to the court. I hope the judge sees it that way too!

Alex Jones is a loving ding dong. Dumb gently caress probably thought he had 'cracked the code' with having Dr. Marbles write him a sick note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

KF drops 3:30pm my time so I get the episodes fresh for my 4pm drive home.