Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you have a clog the first step is to take a paper towel, put some airbrush cleaner on it and give the needle a wipe (it probably has paint in it which blocks the path of air around the needle). If that's not working then you empty your paint out, rinse it out with water then spray water and/or airbrush cleaner from the cup and through the front. If it's still clogged then you unscrew the back and take the needle out and look if there's paint on it and give it a wipe from back to front (to avoid potentially stabbing yourself and/or bending the needle going front to back) with a paper towel with airbrush cleaner on it.

This should handle basically any minor clog and is also the basic way of cleaning your airbrush after a session. You don't need an ultrasonic cleaner unless you really gunked stuff up in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Aranan posted:

I'm still a relative airbrush noob. I had my first clog (?) today where air was coming out, but none of the primer was. I stripped the brush down and tossed it in my ultrasonic cleaner for a few cycles with a dash of airbrush cleaner and hot water. No clue if that's the ideal cleaning solution, but it looks like it worked.

That said, I could use some advice on priming. I'm currently using Vallejo primers (gloss black right now because I'm using VMC Chrome as my basecoat) and I have no idea how much I'm supposed to thin them, if at all. I've watched a few videos and the consensus is that there is no consensus. One painter was using it straight from the bottle, another said to use airbrush thinner, and another said to avoid thinner and use flow improver. I've tried a few experiments myself but between getting clogs and spotty coverage, I think I'm doing something wrong.

I do what Vince Venturella says and do primer:thinner 3:1 or 4:1 at 20psi. Note that his thinner is actually a mix of thinner and flow improver! I'm still new to airbrushes, but I have watched his videos and have had good success so far:

Big huge airbrush video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJcgf31v5RU

Fast cleaning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEIJs1c4bsQ

\/\/ Wow, that looks amazing

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 22, 2022

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Cross-posting from the historicals thread. I painted up this Bolt Action scale Chi-Ha with short barreled Naval Gun

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
I don't have the video link handy, but on YouTube there's a dude that goes by Barbatos Rex that has a very extensive video about how to airbrush water-based acrylics, including acrylic primers, successfully. Water-based acrylics through an airbrush can be a bit more finicky compared to enamels/lacquers, or acrylics that use some kind of solvent instead of water (such as the Tamiya alcohol-based acrylics). They generally either need to be thinned (even ones that say they're "airbrush ready"); or else if they're unthinned, then they need to be sprayed at a higher PSI and potentially a larger needle might be needed as well (like a .3mm or even up to a .5mm needle and nozzle). And when it comes to thinning them, you have to be careful what type of thinners you use, depending on the paint (for example, Vallejo generally doesn't play well with an alcohol-based thinner).

My general rule of thumb for primers is to spray unthinned but at a higher PSI. I think Stynylrez recommends something like 35 PSI or so. The various Vallejo Air and Army Painter Air paints I've tried unthinned have been pretty successful between 30-35 PSI as well. I've also been experimenting with airbrushing cheap craft paints/artists paints (like the ones you get in a tube) that I thin with windshield wiper fluid, and they also spray pretty well at that PSI. My understanding is that you'd use a lower PSI and thin your paints more if you want to use a smaller needle for fine detail work; for priming and basecoating a bigger needle and higher PSI should be fine.

(E: this depends on the original thickness of your paint, of course; some paints like the cheap ones I mentioned absolutely have to be thinned, regardless of how high the PSI is, they're just too thick to spray otherwise.)

Also, remember when airbrushing water-based acrylics to do several light passes at a distance, until the paint has "keyed" to itself, like at least four or five passes. Then the last couple of passes you can get in closer and go a little heavier.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 22, 2022

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Also, remember when airbrushing water-based acrylics to do several light passes at a distance, until the paint has "keyed" to itself, like at least four or five passes. Then the last couple of passes you can get in closer and go a little heavier.

Your whole post is very useful and I appreciate it, but to ask about this part specifically:

When I see "spot highlights", or a spray on just one part (say, a kneepad on a Space marine), how would you hit those spots if you're spraying passes at a distance?

I'm at the point a basic zenithal is in my skill level but fades and stuff are basically space magic

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Your whole post is very useful and I appreciate it, but to ask about this part specifically:

When I see "spot highlights", or a spray on just one part (say, a kneepad on a Space marine), how would you hit those spots if you're spraying passes at a distance?

I'm at the point a basic zenithal is in my skill level but fades and stuff are basically space magic

Short answer? You don't. Those small bits like the Space Marine kneepad would have to be done with a fine detail airbrush (like a .2mm needle and nozzle). At that point your main concern is getting the part painted without a bunch of overspray hitting surrounding areas. So unless you block the other areas off with masking tape (which is another possible way to do it), you would be focusing more on getting as close to the small detail object/area as possible. Brent from Goobertown Hobbies has a good example of how to do this in his "You Need an Airbrush" video, where he paints the talons, teeth, and even eyes (!) of a wargaming-scale dragon with an airbrush.

The "light passes" method I'm referring to is more for basic priming and basecoating. One mistake I made a lot back in 2015 when I first started using airbrushes for minis, was just blasting acrylic paint onto them like it was from a spray can. And because I didn't do quick light passes, the paints and primers just beaded up and ran off and it took me way longer to get stuff primed and basecoated than it should've. Now I do quick, light passes, and use the airbrush to air dry the coats in between each one, and it's a literal joy to do now. :)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Is what I'm seeing just the pigment settling? Id think that with mixer balls and my vortex mixer id be able to avoid most of it.

Would the heavy pigment be settling into the dropper portion of the bottles when theyre upside down?

Most likely and ya the vortex and mixer balls definitely help when you want to shake them up but won't do much when the paint sits for long periods of time, as you know. Anyway, try sitting a few of them upright and see if it makes a difference?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Sydney Bottocks posted:

blasting acrylic paint onto them like it was from a spray can

... Have you been watching me paint?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For partial figures that are in a vehicle ( storm speeder), can I get away with just painting them instead of priming? I just want to get the model finished, and then go back to the hell that is the Valkyrie.

With the Valkyrie I can’t attach one of the crew to the door gun and I still don’t know how that thing fits (and damaged part of the tab on the gun, but luckily with the handle it’s fine). I’m just going to put the handles on both of them, so I don’t need to worry about it. It also stinks that it’s hard to find any sort of build video about this, except for one dude who did a longform stream, but doesn’t have a good camera angle… and also kept talking about how much he hates his father and family and it was depressing.

I’m also wondering if I should just prime it on the sprew. Oh does anyone have any suggestions for how to make the interior of the home look decent but not spend tons of time doing each individual button and wire in a particular way. I’m thinking just pick what looks cool and not worry about things matching up or being uniform. It’s just kind of a frustrating build, because I feel like I have to do a ton of painting before I can even build it. It’s almost tempted to go with the idea, that someone here or the 40K suggested, about just sealing up the doors and panel in the back and not worry about it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Gotta figure out how to make some of these silver spots on the metal to look more like bullet holes

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Gotta figure out how to make some of these silver spots on the metal to look more like bullet holes

just enlarge the picture

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

BaronVanAwesome posted:

just enlarge the picture

I don't understand

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
A 227 x 237 photo is not large enough to offer you advice because the parts you're asking about are perhaps three pixels wide at most.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

A 227 x 237 photo is not large enough to offer you advice because the parts you're asking about are perhaps three pixels wide at most.

Oh, sometimes the imgur upload in the awful app fails like that and I missed it

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I always liked the old Crab Power Claw the best. Looks snippy!

I don’t know how practical it would be, but the shape serves the model well!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Oh, sometimes the imgur upload in the awful app fails like that and I missed it

The middle of your silver spot bullet holes should be black or a dark color to provide depth to the illusion of a hole and/or you can drill some holes into the armor and hobby knife the edges and then paint something that has natural dimensions instead of faking it on a flat surface.

The painted or real holes do not need to be perfect circles because you can have rounds impacting at angles also.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Bullets that deflect or fail to penetrate might also strip paint in streaks.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
If I use cheap Apple Barrel matte acrylic paint on a model, am I going to make myself hate painting? I want to get into the hobby, but the price is too prohibitive. I get second hand official miniatures and possibly looking at 3D printed models so I'm trying to cut costs anywhere I can to make it reasonable. Not sure if I should start with the cheap stuff or wait to hit the lottery.

I guess my main question is: Where is it ok to cut costs in this hobby when it comes to painting?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Roshambo posted:

If I use cheap Apple Barrel matte acrylic paint on a model, am I going to make myself hate painting? I want to get into the hobby, but the price is too prohibitive. I get second hand official miniatures and possibly looking at 3D printed models so I'm trying to cut costs anywhere I can to make it reasonable. Not sure if I should start with the cheap stuff or wait to hit the lottery.

Its possible, but kind of a pain in the arse to make it look reasonable. Bases, terrain, that sort of thing, craft paints are fine, but actual miniatures... Thinning them to the right consistance that you dont lose detail is tough and would be doubly so for a beginner who doesnt know the consistency they should be shooting for. Every now and then a video with some hobby youtuber or other painting figures with craft paints crosses my recommendations, but its worth bearing in mind; They are doing it because its an unusual thing to do (which gets clicks) and also they are doing painting videos for a living so have an absolute shitload of experience with mini painting. I'll cheap out on brushes all day every day and paint terrain with house paint tester pots and cheapo craft paint and undercoat everything with pound shop car primer, but when it comes to actual mini paints...

Now, with that said, if your alternative is not painting, then gently caress it, give it a shot. Seek out some of those videos I mentioned and see if there is any useful information. If it looks awful you can always strip it back later, and it will at least give you some experience and let you know if this is a hobby you would enjoy that it would be worth investing some money in down the road. No point spending any money if it turns out you hate it!

I would say that you might need fewer paints than you maybe think, depending on what you are wanting to paint, and also you can save a little bit by shopping around online and/or being brand agnostic with your paint collection which you can build up as and when you need a colour/have the money.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 23, 2022

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Craft paints are not recommended for mini painting, the pigments are too coarse and the finish will likely be uneven. If you just want to get some practice or are desperate to get something on the table go for it, but don't set your expectations very high.

If you're just starting out and looking to save money, I would suggest only buying a few basic colors and then mixing them to make your other shades.
Start with a good Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Orange Purple/Magenta, Black, White, Brown, and silver. Vallejo Game Color is a good choice, a bottle is around $3 each so that set will cost about $30. (or just buy the vallejo starter set for a few dollars more to get a full 16 color set)

Mixing paints is really easy, put a couple of drops of your lighter color onto a pallet (something waterproof, like a plastic container can be used for a super cheap pallet) and then place a drop of your darker color next to it and use your brush to slowly bring them together to get the intermediate shade you want. WIth a bit of practice you can get just about any color of the rainbow by mixing your core 10 colors, it's a super useful skill even if you have every color of paint from every line available to you.

10 colors, some spray primer, a decent golden taklon synthetic watercolor brush in size 1 or 2 and a coffee cup of clean water and there's nothing you can't paint. Total cost ~$50

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I started off with craft paints, dollar store minis and cheap brushes from Walmart. They need to be thinned quite a bit and can be inconsistent from color to color, but it's not an awful way to start without spending too much money. You won't be winning any awards with that setup, but you'll probably be able to figure out if the hobby is for you for under $20. I say go for it!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'll also chime in to say that if you have a local independent art supply store (unlikely but) they may sell lightly used supplies and might be worth a gander.

ed: there is a store local to me that does this

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Roshambo posted:

I guess my main question is: Where is it ok to cut costs in this hobby when it comes to painting?

You can paint with craft paints, Goobertown Hobbies did a video on it recently.

If you like the hobby and see yourself continuing, investing in miniature paints is a good idea (I'd probably suggest starting with a skin tone and a good quality black/gray/white). But if you're just starting out, craft paints work fine. You won't wind up with perfect blends or anything, but it's doable. I actually still use a couple of craft paints for my bases because I find the chalkiness of the paint a benefit for painting rocks.

Just remember you'll want to thin craft paints with water and do multiple coats. This is a skill you'll need/want to use with mini paints too, so getting the hang of it with craft paint first is fine.

Zihuatanejo
Dec 17, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

For partial figures that are in a vehicle ( storm speeder), can I get away with just painting them instead of priming? I just want to get the model finished, and then go back to the hell that is the Valkyrie.

With the Valkyrie I can’t attach one of the crew to the door gun and I still don’t know how that thing fits (and damaged part of the tab on the gun, but luckily with the handle it’s fine). I’m just going to put the handles on both of them, so I don’t need to worry about it. It also stinks that it’s hard to find any sort of build video about this, except for one dude who did a longform stream, but doesn’t have a good camera angle… and also kept talking about how much he hates his father and family and it was depressing.

I’m also wondering if I should just prime it on the sprew. Oh does anyone have any suggestions for how to make the interior of the home look decent but not spend tons of time doing each individual button and wire in a particular way. I’m thinking just pick what looks cool and not worry about things matching up or being uniform. It’s just kind of a frustrating build, because I feel like I have to do a ton of painting before I can even build it. It’s almost tempted to go with the idea, that someone here or the 40K suggested, about just sealing up the doors and panel in the back and not worry about it.

I definitely wish I had sealed up my Valkyrie instead of putting a ton of work into the interior and door gunners. You can hardly see the gunners from any angle when the wings are on and overhanging them let alone any of the inside. +1 to the idea of not bothering and doing something fun instead!

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
I appreciate the variety of advice given is response to my original question. I guess I can't really go wrong as long as the end result is me painting.

Bucnasti posted:

If you're just starting out and looking to save money, I would suggest only buying a few basic colors and then mixing them to make your other shades.
Start with a good Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Orange Purple/Magenta, Black, White, Brown, and silver. Vallejo Game Color is a good choice, a bottle is around $3 each so that set will cost about $30. (or just buy the vallejo starter set for a few dollars more to get a full 16 color set)

Does it matter that the finish type is listed as gloss for the starter kit? A friend of mine said to use matte specifically for 40k miniatures.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
One of my players and my roommate both mostly paint minis with craft paint and their results are amazing. Somehow. I think they may be wizards.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Craft paints are awesome but you need to prime white.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Oh hey, a discussion about painting minis with craft paints! :v:

Over the years I've used both craft paints and "hobby" paints (Vallejo, GW, Army Painter, etc), and so I can say without fear of contradiction that there is no one single range where every single paint works perfectly 100% of the time. And that includes craft paints. I've had craft paints that worked perfectly fine out of the bottle with just a little thinning. I've had hobby paints that were terrible from the moment they were opened. There's no need to limit yourself to just one range, unless you are following a particular paint guide that uses specific paints or something like that. And craft paints are certainly cheap enough that they're worth experimenting with. If you don't like them, you're out a couple of bucks at most.

Craft paints are really good for terrain (seriously, don't waste your expensive hobby paints on your terrain features; spend a few bucks and get a bunch of black, gray, and brown craft paints for your terrain, along with a few other colors to pick out details as desired). They're also really good for basing, and I tend to have at least three or four craft paints in different shades of gray for use in painting a dungeon floor, for example. I would even go so far as to recommend them for basecoating, especially if you're doing a big army that's primarily a main color like a Space Marine army; find a shade that's close to the shade you want, basecoat away, pick out details, wash and highlight as needed, and you're done all having spent about half (or less) the cost of the much smaller hobby paint bottle. You can even thin them down and airbrush 'em! Just get some plastic dropper bottles, some sort of agitators to put in them, some craft paints and a jug of windshield washer fluid. Do a mix of 60% washer fluid to 40% craft paint, mix it up, and you have some cheap airbrush-ready paint.

One thing I want to experiment with now I have a decent airbrush compressor setup, is to take some of the lighter-colored satin and gloss finish craft paints and airbrush them over a figure, to see how well they work as an undercoat for Contrast and Speedpaint paints (at least, once I get my hands on some of the latter paints). Contrast (and Speedpaints too, from what I've seen) need a satin or glossy finish to work well, and there's a ton of satin and glossy craft paints out there to experiment with.

Well, that's my two cents, thanks for listening :tipshat:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've had great success shooting craft paints thinned with medium and dH2O.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Zihuatanejo posted:

I definitely wish I had sealed up my Valkyrie instead of putting a ton of work into the interior and door gunners. You can hardly see the gunners from any angle when the wings are on and overhanging them let alone any of the inside. +1 to the idea of not bothering and doing something fun instead!

You can put a Valkyrie together so that you can lift the top of the roof off and look inside for display. I did it for mine but my painting skills aren't really up to much so it wasn't worth it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I need a quick refresher, what's a good ratio of paint to water for base coats? 1:5? 1:10?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zihuatanejo posted:

Thank you. I’m going to go with that option. I really want to get to the fun part and start building the main part of the model.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I need a quick refresher, what's a good ratio of paint to water for base coats? 1:5? 1:10?

It depends on the paint down to the brand, and even the particular colour. But for brushing on with miniature paints, 1:1 is about right.

The general advice is mix a bit of water on a palette until you get a skim milk consistency. It's really then a matter of experiment and preference.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Beffer posted:

It depends on the paint down to the brand, and even the particular colour. But for brushing on with miniature paints, 1:1 is about right.

The general advice is mix a bit of water on a palette until you get a skim milk consistency. It's really then a matter of experiment and preference.
Huh, really? I coulda sworn I got chewed out the last time I got bit by the minis-painting bug because my paints were too thick, and I know I was adding water then too, so it must've at least been 1:1 then.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
"Two thin coats" is a rule of thumb to the point of being a cliche but ultimately you want paint that goes on that doesn't leave any visible brush strokes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
This is a fun little retrospective: here's one of my first minis, painted in August 2020

And then here's a Konrad Curze that I finished up just minutes ago:

SUPER happy with it. And it's wonderful to look back and see how much I've grown as a painter in a year and a half or so.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Roshambo posted:

I appreciate the variety of advice given is response to my original question. I guess I can't really go wrong as long as the end result is me painting.

Does it matter that the finish type is listed as gloss for the starter kit? A friend of mine said to use matte specifically for 40k miniatures.

The Vallejo game color works very well and seems to be more of a matte than gloss, so I think that portion of the Amazon info is wrong. I would say the black can seem a little too satin for me sometimes, but it I don't think it is gloss. The Vallejo Game color line is the direct competition with GWs paints, hence the weird names. They will work well for you, and the bottle dropper design makes mixing a lot easier.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Welp I did it, after a few weeks of thinking about it I pulled the trigger on buying a set of Artis Opus Series S brushes (and forgot to apply a 10% email discount to boot).

Hopefully I don't get a bad roll of the dice and end up with low-end/high-cost brushes because of kolinksy sables.

Count Thrashula posted:

This is a fun little retrospective: here's one of my first minis, painted in August 2020

And then here's a Konrad Curze that I finished up just minutes ago:

SUPER happy with it. And it's wonderful to look back and see how much I've grown as a painter in a year and a half or so.

It's awesome how much you can progress in just a short amount of time with practice. Nicely done.

Where's that Curze model from?

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 24, 2022

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Craft paints are really good for terrain (seriously, don't waste your expensive hobby paints on your terrain features; spend a few bucks and get a bunch of black, gray, and brown craft paints for your terrain, along with a few other colors to pick out details as desired). They're also really good for basing, and I tend to have at least three or four craft paints in different shades of gray for use in painting a dungeon floor, for example.

I've found that latex house paints - the sample sizes you get from Home Depot or Lowes - work beautifully for terrain; they're cheap, flexible, water down nicely with paint and airbrush without too much difficulty. When I tried to cut craft paint with Windex to airbrush it, I kept getting massive clogs because, I think, craft paint has some kind of additive in it that makes it dry quickly, which causes jams in airbrushes. I believe that Home Depot only does satin finish for its sample paints, but you can easily knock off the shine by using a matte sealant.

Another useful thing about using craft paint is that you can paint an index card with a GW / Vallejo paint and have them color-match it. If you want an 8 oz tub of Zandri Dust with a slight shine, that's entirely possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Roshambo posted:

I get second hand official miniatures and possibly looking at 3D printed models so I'm trying to cut costs anywhere I can to make it reasonable.

Another fun thing to do is grab the $1 disney/pixar/he-man type mini's from the dollar store. They take primer just fine and have some detail, and with a hobby knife you can cut them up and customize them. The dollar tree near me also sells a lot of other cheap hobby stuff- hobby knife blades for $1, crayola model magic that after it hardens you can just coat in a little super glue and paint over, (some, size 2 is the smallest i've seen) brushes, paints, other stuff you can use to practice on or whatever. Ollie's for cheap spray primers.

https://www.dollartree.com/monsters-inc-mini-fig/303239
https://www.dollartree.com/mattel-micro-collection-masters-the-universe-mini-figurines/328550
Look how fun those look to chop up and paint and what not.