Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

RandomBlue posted:

why test it with a penis though? hosed up.

Brand new way to install a Prince Albert, tattoo shops hate it!

Sad snipe, this is fantastic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

withak posted:

Pretty sure it was the detection method that got them sued.

I think it's dumb that they have, or had, a patent on the safety system in the first place. It's such a fundamentally good and valuable feature that it should be required in every table saw sold. The government should have said "hey, this is awesome, we're going to nationalize this patent and pay you ten million dollars up front and royalties on every table saw sold in this country in the next 20 years, but everyone is going to use it and you can't lock other companies out."

It's like if a car company had a patent on seat belts and refused to let anyone else use them.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Gotta make sure you get that sweet tornado vid while standing on your porch as it passes by a few streets away.
https://twitter.com/ScotPilie_Wx/status/1506447111658868753

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I think it's dumb that they have, or had, a patent on the safety system in the first place. It's such a fundamentally good and valuable feature that it should be required in every table saw sold. The government should have said "hey, this is awesome, we're going to nationalize this patent and pay you ten million dollars up front and royalties on every table saw sold in this country in the next 20 years, but everyone is going to use it and you can't lock other companies out."

It's like if a car company had a patent on seat belts and refused to let anyone else use them.

This is basically the entire pharmaceutical industry's MO.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Sagebrush posted:

Fun Fact that the inventor of the 3 point seat belt did patent it but let any car company use it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

"Summary: Pilot error, untrained minor in command of controls" is probably a unique achievement among Wikipedia aviation disaster pages. I hope.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

If this is a Michael Crichton (Airframe) reference, :discourse:

vvv edit: holy poo poo vvv
Yeah it was an Airframe reference but

:catstare:

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/Idiotatworks/status/1498188541549244416
https://twitter.com/Idiotatworks/status/1496428890268778498

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/89JWsHz.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/oyAMJ40.mp4

:stare:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ah, Finland. That makes sense.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ugh, I hate thinking about swimming along underneath a solid ice layer possibly even more than I hate thinking about climbing down into a tiny hole in the ground. You know what, I think I'm just gonna stay inside from now on

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I have done ice swimming, I don't like it without sauna but some prefer it without. My favourite time was when I made a hole in the ice with axe myself, the gulf in front of the sauna was only knee deep so I had to slide my feet and body under the ice to get proper wet. No way I would dive under the ice though.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

thanks Doddery Meerkat

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Nenonen posted:

I have done ice swimming, I don't like it without sauna but some prefer it without. My favourite time was when I made a hole in the ice with axe myself, the gulf in front of the sauna was only knee deep so I had to slide my feet and body under the ice to get proper wet. No way I would dive under the ice though.

She's got a tether though. That is the way. Because then you know the way, which is a p key aspect of this

Smacking open your own hole with an axe is cool, once or twice, and after that it's a dang tedium, esp when it's a foot or so. Takes the spontaneity out of it. Usually I have Enrique do it for me, of course. Swim, I mean.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

-Zydeco- posted:

Gotta make sure you get that sweet tornado vid while standing on your porch as it passes by a few streets away.
https://twitter.com/ScotPilie_Wx/status/1506447111658868753

He's a professional meteorologist, so if he was being an idiot at least he was being a trained idiot.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://i.imgur.com/8tCw2tT.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Why the fuckin poo poo didn't that bird just fly up there?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It had to stop part way up to admire the Crocs

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Maybe you have me confused with the guy saying the conclusions drawn in the official report were wrong?

If someone wants to correct me using the report, I'll change my mind but a memoir is not conclusive evidence.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Sagebrush posted:

You and the patent holder half agree. He wants it to be legally required and he wants to hold the patent and make all the money.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Karate Bastard posted:

Smacking open your own hole with an axe is cool

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Uh excuse me, you're in my spot.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Where's that bird's fall-harness?

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Cat Hatter posted:

Maybe you have me confused with the guy saying the conclusions drawn in the official report were wrong?

If someone wants to correct me using the report, I'll change my mind but a memoir is not conclusive evidence.

So you're saying the conclusions of the report are correct, but that when writing the report the professional crash investigators didn't think of that obvious source of error that you based on your untrained intuition?

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Where's that bird's fall-harness?

For a bird, that's BASE jumping.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/3aB1zlw.mp4

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slabjacking is pretty cool. Plus, it’s called slabjacking.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Slab jacking is fine.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
what's keeping it from just sinking down again once that foam falls apart

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Crunch Slabjack

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Cat Hatter posted:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

moonmazed posted:

nothing! that's why mudjacking is better.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

tak posted:

So you're saying the conclusions of the report are correct, but that when writing the report the professional crash investigators didn't think of that obvious source of error that you based on your untrained intuition?

No, I'm imagining a reason the investigators would have said the evidence was inconclusive while acknowledging that I am spitballing ideas. For all I know they said the evidence was inconclusive because they saw two morons were fiddling with all the knobs before they could be examined.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Slabjacking is pretty cool. Plus, it’s called slabjacking.

If it goes bad can we call it slabjackling?

Atticus_1354 posted:

You and the patent holder half agree. He wants it to be legally required and he wants to hold the patent and make all the money.

I wonder if there is any kind of precedent for what is essentially emminent domain on patent ideas for the greater good. LIke the polio vaccine or penicillin. If somebody came up with a pill that cures all types of cancer the person that invented it deserves some cash (along with the accolades of saving millions of lives) but surely the government would step in to avoid a Shkreli situation.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 24, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

moonmazed posted:

It's pretty sturdy foam, it doesn't just disappear.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ChesterJT posted:

I wonder if there is any kind of precedent for what is essentially emminent domain on patent ideas for the greater good.

The government can absolutely eminent domain IP.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

withak posted:

It's pretty sturdy foam, it doesn't just disappear.

and even if it does, you can just splooge in some more foam

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched them raise an entire 8 unit apartment building that had settled. But they used some sort of high psi mud, not foam.

There were a couple blowouts of the slab which resulted in mud on the ceilings. And when a building that’s been slowly settling for 30 years suddenly gets straightened out, you get a lot of popped drywall seams. A lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I watched them raise an entire 8 unit apartment building that had settled. But they used some sort of high psi mud, not foam.

There were a couple blowouts of the slab which resulted in mud on the ceilings. And when a building that’s been slowly settling for 30 years suddenly gets straightened out, you get a lot of popped drywall seams. A lot.

That's mudjacking!