Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Heathcliff getting into some real "omg random" bullshit here. Moreso than usual, I mean.

Somebody please give Curtis the John Stossel treatment

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I am very sorry

:sbahj:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Why is god telling Jeffy to use the handrail?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Gabriel Set-Up

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Gabriel Set-Up

Laughing at the one henchman wearing sunglasses on a nighttime stakeout and manhunt.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

props to Gabriel for being inclusive & hiring a blind triggerman

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

That giant has a good suggestion.

Mark Trail

Jules keeps messing with the geometry of the car. Yesterday Cricket Bro appeared to be behind and to the left of Mark (Mark's left), which was impossible since Mark is in the left-hand seat with no seat behind him (or at least no seat with a headrest), and now he's somehow in front and to the right of him, assuming Mark's in the left-most seat still, which you can't tell because you don't see Cherry or Rusty anymore.

Mary Worth

"I just love how square it is."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I don't know why I did this.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Jules keeps messing with the geometry of the car. Yesterday Cricket Bro appeared to be behind and to the left of Mark (Mark's left), which was impossible since Mark is in the left-hand seat with no seat behind him (or at least no seat with a headrest), and now he's somehow in front and to the right of him, assuming Mark's in the left-most seat still, which you can't tell because you don't see Cherry or Rusty anymore.

The shot in that final panel is looking over Mark's shoulder from behind him, Cricket Bro is consistently in the passenger's side front seat of the vehicle.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

howe_sam posted:

The shot in that final panel is looking over Mark's shoulder from behind him, Cricket Bro is consistently in the passenger's side front seat of the vehicle.
Oh you know what? The (unnecessary) narration box blocked the back of Mark's seat, and Jules cut off the headrest, so I missed that, but I see it now. However, I'm going to still say it's bad because Mark's torso does not go over the back of the seat in the other pictures of him in it so you should not see the top of his shirt in that last panel from yesterday, and perspective is weird in that first panel today still.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

JethroMcB posted:

Heathcliff getting into some real "omg random" bullshit here. Moreso than usual, I mean.

excuse me, the fire breathing chihuahua is an established character with a large fanbase

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I am very sorry

Oh, SBaHJ. No matter how bad Homestuck got, you are forever green.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

god i hate this advice

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
attempts to get 2 hours for some genuine REM sleep

baby wakes up after 30 minutes because baby

aaaaaaaa refreshed

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Doomykins posted:

attempts to get 2 hours for some genuine REM sleep

baby wakes up after 30 minutes because baby

aaaaaaaa refreshed

have not eaten, still need to clean all the things the baby needs to live

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 23, 2022

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

dismas posted:

have not eaten, still need to clean all the things the baby needs to live

Oh god dammit I need to wash bottles too. Good call

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Forum accident posted:

The writing of this article was a bit pretentious, I thought, but the interviews were interesting and I especially liked this quote from the artist of Mary Worth:

Yeah, that is kind of The Comics Journal’s thing. Fantastic resource, but well up its own rear end much of the time. And really, all that talk about Nancy’s gag structure subverting expectations and toying with convention had me wondering if the author and I have been reading the same strip.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

dismas posted:

god i hate this advice

Between this and an entire arc based around "submit ideas to your favorite author", I'm convinced the writer is just trolling

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

I don't know why I did this, but here it is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

The End, No Moral!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Bimmi posted:

Yeah, that is kind of The Comics Journal’s thing. Fantastic resource, but well up its own rear end much of the time. And really, all that talk about Nancy’s gag structure subverting expectations and toying with convention had me wondering if the author and I have been reading the same strip.

No see, Nancy subverts expectations all the time. Like in the one strip* where Girl A says "I hate it when people do [thing]" and then in the last panel she does [thing]. Since she said she hated when people do it, you expected her to not do it, but then she did, subverting your expectations!

* every strip

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I feel New Nancy is a fine successor to the original, which also had simple, repetitive gags that would-be smartypants make way too much of.

Furthermore,

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Bimmi posted:

I dunno, the implication that we're trying to reconnect with a beauty that can never truly be ours due to distance of time using the medium of dickbutt edits makes me feel kind of special.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Перли перед свинями

Skippy

Peanuts (March 26, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean continues his quest to workshop his tight ten.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 22, 1938)

Out Our Way (June 9-11, 1938; timg'd for the usual issues)

Toonerville Folks (November 18-20, 1918)

Dok's Dippy Dawn Patrol (January 7, 1914)

Little Lefty (January 26-29, 1936)

Blondie (From Zero) (October 1-3, 1931)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

gleebster posted:

I feel New Nancy is a fine successor to the original, which also had simple, repetitive gags that would-be smartypants make way too much of.

Original Nancy may have had simple and similar gags but at least they weren't all exactly the same, and more importantly, original Nancy was fun. New Nancy is just oozing with cynicism and irritation. I've mentioned this before but there are so few New Nancy strips where characters are actually having fun or enjoying themselves, they're either annoyed/upset with whoever they're talking to, or just complaining about whatever. This makes it kind of a drag to read day after day because it just feels like nobody's allowed to like things in it. poo poo, even sometimes when characters are allowed to like things in it, they still aren't having fun. Look at the kid who enjoyed watching movies, every goddamn one of his strips was him trying to enjoy a movie and getting annoyed by Nancy being an rear end in a top hat.

I've said before that I actually do think the Sunday Nancy strips are really good, because they're not the same joke every time, and characters actually do silly things in them sometimes. But the dailies are just loving awful 95% of the time.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

new Nancy should do more visual gag strips. when i think of bushmiller nancy i think mostly about the simple visual gags, and i feel like modern Nancy doesn't do enough of them (and when it has done them, they've been good!)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Перли перед свинями

And so it begins. God I hope Funky isn't next...

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Feb 1-2, 1991)

I think the new one is pretty good? :shrug:

Old School Peanuts (Jun 10, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 15-16, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kavak posted:

And so it begins. God I hope Funky isn't next...

Wait nine months to a year

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

Wait nine months to a year

Was that guy who got blown up in the Iraq occupation simulator pre-timeskip? Funky might actually take place in our future, so they’ll reminisce about what they did back during the invasion of Ukraine.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate Year 1 (Feb 1-2, 1991)

I think the new one is pretty good? :shrug:
I used to have to do cursive in school and I learned how to sign my name along with the rest of the alphabet. Then I went to high school and all I needed to know what to sign my name for various SAT things and applications. Then I got bored and just settled on my initials in vague cursive. Now I just use three scribbles to indicate my initials regularly. Signatures rule, do whatever the gently caress you want, be nub wumbo all the time.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I never grasped cursive and I have gotten yelled at all of once for block printing it. Suck my rear end 5th Grade.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Weembles posted:

Why is god telling Jeffy to use the handrail?

You think He wants that little poo poo to die and go to Heaven?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Gnoman posted:

You think He wants that little poo poo to die and go to Heaven?
Everyone knows Billy's going to Hell, God wants a drat win in his column.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Twelve by Pies posted:

Original Nancy may have had simple and similar gags but at least they weren't all exactly the same, and more importantly, original Nancy was fun. New Nancy is just oozing with cynicism and irritation. I've mentioned this before but there are so few New Nancy strips where characters are actually having fun or enjoying themselves, they're either annoyed/upset with whoever they're talking to, or just complaining about whatever. This makes it kind of a drag to read day after day because it just feels like nobody's allowed to like things in it. poo poo, even sometimes when characters are allowed to like things in it, they still aren't having fun. Look at the kid who enjoyed watching movies, every goddamn one of his strips was him trying to enjoy a movie and getting annoyed by Nancy being an rear end in a top hat.

I've said before that I actually do think the Sunday Nancy strips are really good, because they're not the same joke every time, and characters actually do silly things in them sometimes. But the dailies are just loving awful 95% of the time.

Adding to that -- new Nancy is so terribly prolix! Panel after panel of characters worrying about what other people do or what they think of them. It's like "what if the cast of Seinfeld hadn't met yet and were kids so they had to think all this poo poo instead of talking it out?"

Scary Gary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Dozeu Bookstore

Night Visitors

Monya the Grey

End of chapter 2!