Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

iospace posted:

23s are fine to inject with, what are you talking about. Drawing with a 23 though sounds like torture.

You can also inject with your draw needle. Not advised, but it's allowable. The biggest thing is to clean off the top of your vial before drawing. Use a swab to wipe it off before your draw.

If you're not using an 18 to draw, fix that.

apparently injecting with the draw needle is routine for diabetes, but that's a SQ injection of only 0.2-1ml using a 30ga needle. giving the vial a wipe and letting it dry before drawing is all it takes.

blew my mind when my wife was practicing her diabetes teaching spiel on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

a friend of mine switched to shots recently but she does them like, sub-dermal instead of IM, and into her belly cuz she can't reach her thigh properly. i've never seen anyone else do anything like that, is that actually A Thing? she says it's way less painful and easier than IM and seems to work exactly the same so like, what's the catch?

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff
Hello I'm friend. I'm going to clarify and say I can reach my thigh, its more down to that I can't bend over like a pretzel and do my own butt and my thighs are too sensitive for injections. Butt, hip, thigh and arm are all fine provided you put it into an area of fat.

Shifty Pony posted:

apparently injecting with the draw needle is routine for diabetes, but that's a SQ injection of only 0.2-1ml using a 30ga needle. giving the vial a wipe and letting it dry before drawing is all it takes.

oh my god no no no, injecting with a drawing needle is pure misery because you blunt the needle and drawing needles tend to have a much muuuch thicker diameter which translates into a lot of very nasty bad pain because it takes longer to clot and causes more disruption to the adipose tissue and often means you risk striking muscle -- or worse, that it runs off and leaks which is more waste.

you should also be mindful of voids in your syringes (ie, does the rubber part fill the hub to push the contents of the hub into the needle or not? That loss is not insignificant and adds up over time).

depending on the quality of what you're working with (eg, if you're doing 'bathtub' stuff) you should be super mindful of whether or not a filter is recommended because this also creates voids.

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 17, 2022

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i keep forgetting you have an account now :v:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I did subq test shots for a couple years when I started transitioning. at least for test, it doesn't really matter if you do subq or im (although the packaging says im only). actual subdermal is probably not ideal tho.

that said, I stopped doing injections due to a combo of a) gradually increasing self-injection phobia, and b) injection site lumps from a reaction to the cyprionate ester and not rotating location enough on a diff ester. the lumps kinda fed the phobia.

if you do subq, rotate your sites, and not just sides, but also like, upper/lower abdomen, flank, butt, etc.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

i keep forgetting you have an account now :v:

ye, there's just no alert system so if someone quotes me I often don't know unless someone tells me. i'm very spoiled by modern websites sadly.

Gnossiennes posted:

I did subq test shots for a couple years when I started transitioning. at least for test, it doesn't really matter if you do subq or im (although the packaging says im only). actual subdermal is probably not ideal tho.

that said, I stopped doing injections due to a combo of a) gradually increasing self-injection phobia, and b) injection site lumps from a reaction to the cyprionate ester and not rotating location enough on a diff ester. the lumps kinda fed the phobia.

if you do subq, rotate your sites, and not just sides, but also like, upper/lower abdomen, flank, butt, etc.

yes, 100% rotate your sites but also like, learn to love your lumps too. i always think to myself "well while i have a lump that probably means its working" and i've come to check with my hand to ask myself mentally "have I had an injection recently?" and i can judge how long ago it was based on the soreness of the lump and its a good way combined with my general mood and mental state to judge if my dose was too high or too low recently. i get that freeballing is discouraged when you're doing injections but my metabolism is all over the place due to anemia and seratonin regulation problems.

one thing i've learned is if your estrogen levels are high enough your body just stops making testosterone if you've spent long enough on anti-androgens like spiro over the years (i was on spriro for like 11 years and on a pretty high dose by accident??). i'm still due a blood-test soonish to verify that its still working though so don't take what i say as gospel or anything.

that said i am very happy to feel my basic romantacism is coming back though i'm very surprised by how its changed. something in my brain is like "no, we're an adult, we're supposed to be verse because that's what adults do" and the other part of me is like "haha oh no he is sooo tall haha we are soooo short teehee". some how i'm transitioning very well (about the only time i don't pass is when someone sees my legal documents and asks if i've brought someone elses passport) yet i still have unresolved bottom anxiety. what even is the human experience at this point?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Expo70 posted:

yes, 100% rotate your sites but also like, learn to love your lumps too. i always think to myself "well while i have a lump that probably means its working" and i've come to check with my hand to ask myself mentally "have I had an injection recently?" and i can judge how long ago it was based on the soreness of the lump and its a good way combined with my general mood and mental state to judge if my dose was too high or too low recently. i get that freeballing is discouraged when you're doing injections but my metabolism is all over the place due to anemia and seratonin regulation problems.

they're scar tissue lumps that haven't completely dissipated after over three years since switching to using test gel instead. so if they're lumps that aren't going away, no amount of loving them is going to make them stop being really painful to inject into, unfortunately!

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Gnossiennes posted:

they're scar tissue lumps that haven't completely dissipated after over three years since switching to using test gel instead. so if they're lumps that aren't going away, no amount of loving them is going to make them stop being really painful to inject into, unfortunately!

That's absolutely fair. I feel very fortunate and very lucky in that my lumps tend to go down in the time of around two weeks or so, so if I circulate them by around four inches or so, I end up with two lumps -- one big and one small and they're just things that go away eventually if I just let them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

would you call them your lovely lady lumps

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

would you call them your lovely lady lumps

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shame Boy posted:

a friend of mine switched to shots recently but she does them like, sub-dermal instead of IM, and into her belly cuz she can't reach her thigh properly. i've never seen anyone else do anything like that, is that actually A Thing? she says it's way less painful and easier than IM and seems to work exactly the same so like, what's the catch?

my husband used to do this for his T before he switched to patches

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, unfortunately due to trying to hold a sharp object and a vial at the same time and taking a picture wasn't gonna happen. Basically what you need to do is you want the bevel of the needle perpendicular to the stopper top. You'll want the "end" of it to enter the same area as the tip.

That being said, pros and cons of certain needle gauges, in my experience, for E shots:

Injecting
25g:
Pros: thin and thus less residual pain
Cons: trying to shove E through is slow

23g:
Pros: good balance between size and injection speed
cons: more painful than the 25s

22g:
Pros: bit quicker than the 23s
cons: bigger than the 23s

Drawing:
20g:
Pros: less risk of stopper damage
Cons: loving rear end to draw with, unless you take it super slow

18g:
Pros: drawing with them is a breeze
cons: can damage the stopper if not done right

I can't decide between the 25 and 23g needles for the injection, because they both are valid in their own ways. Fun times. I have a few more 20g for drawing left then it's 18s for life after.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the mask mandate is over, but I'm going to continue wearing my mask and my bulky coat and toque because of dysphoria

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Shifty Pony posted:

correct, i never heard of different needles for draw/inject until starting estrogen

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Lady Radia posted:

correct, i never heard of different needles for draw/inject until starting estrogen

my mil is a nurse, well, just retired now, and one of her biggest pet peeves is when professionals don't swap needles for injections since it blunts the needle (she gave me my flu vaccine in her kitchen one year lol)

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
i've been giving myself flu shots for a few years now (also in the kitchen) because those come in prepackaged glass syringes

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

mediaphage posted:

my mil is a nurse, well, just retired now, and one of her biggest pet peeves is when professionals don't swap needles for injections since it blunts the needle (she gave me my flu vaccine in her kitchen one year lol)

yeah, if i hadnt moved to an insulin pump i'd do it going forward, the swapped needles feel a lot better going in

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
fresh queers of all stripes go through an insufferable phase, it's just the way of the world.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

thing is dude wasn't much younger than me, he was just Like That

like what exactly.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ultravoices posted:

like what exactly.

that post is from 11 days ago and i don't really feel like dragging my gripes about That Guy back out just to argue with you so whatever

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that sounded kinda hostile but wasn't meant to be, just legit don't feel like discussing that anymore :shrug:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

discuss your (least?) favorite operating system that is also gay instead

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

beos is the gayest operating system, because it's cute and dead

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

ultravoices posted:

fresh queers of all stripes go through an insufferable phase, it's just the way of the world.
I was insufferable even when I was closeted and insufferable I remain

Lady Radia posted:

discuss your (least?) favorite operating system that is also gay instead
I can't find the pic I took but the informational screens at the la LGBT center run Ubuntu

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

ultravoices posted:

oh no just like me

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ultravoices posted:

I know a guy who worked on beos and I'm pretty sure he's either gay or ace so that tracks

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Shifty Pony posted:

cg(ender)s: no loving clue. fluidity is weird and nothing feels right except screaming "gently caress it!"

is screaming "gently caress it" a gender?

it is a gender. in fact, it could also be agender !

:dadjoke:

my gender tends to settle around "there's probably something i need to think about real hard here but gently caress"

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i came out to my boss today

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

i came out to my boss today
Congrats!

Hope it went well 💖

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

yea it honestly did! i'm pretty emotionally overwhelmed to be honest by just how much. love there seems to be for me and for the community each time i come out to someone i'm not sure about?? maybe im just getting lucky so far

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

would u feel uncomfortable if i cited u as an inspiration over a year ago or so. cause i wanna.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

What, me?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

lady u loving own. i can only hope i get arrested for tossing a scooter into a payday lenders' window

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

oh also. being so strong and independent and gently caress-off-im-the-most-feminine-bitch-you-know, all the time. just an incredible powerful feminine energy that you've made your own.

but gently caress payday lenders

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

lady u loving own. i can only hope i get arrested for tossing a scooter into a payday lenders' window
Then I would be honored ☺️

Tho I prefer the time I got arrested on 1/6 for refusing to disperse with my tits out , that had a lot fewer consequences

I don't like those

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
my husband got him top surgery today. it went very well! he's recovering and has a followup tomorrow morning

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

best top surgery tip i ever got was to start taking laxatives immediately

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gnossiennes posted:

best top surgery tip i ever got was to start taking laxatives immediately

wish i'd known this for recovery from abdominal surgery last month

only took hydrocodone for 3 or 4 days and my guts didn't work right for several weeks; can't imagine what stronger opiates would do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

got in a fight with a friend because they didnt see why trans sports bans or texas' marking transitioning as child abuse was a problem. yeah they're not my friend anymore. it's shocking how much the cis are open to soft genocide.