Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Batterypowered7 posted:

Reminds me of Guiliani asking for "normal" scrutiny or not knowing what opacity meant.

Yeah. As you'd predict, violations like the one in the OP come primarily from tenured boomer shitheads who've been teaching for a million years and the school is too lazy to fire who "don't believe in" the various learning disabilities we have become more capable at diagnosing and destigmatizing over the last few decades so her acting like this while claiming to be new at all this is especially galling. (Not because old teachers have any excuse, but because she lacks any kind of institutional protection so her behavior is shocking purely from a perspective of self-preservation even if you don't care about the student's well-being.)

AITA for refusing to cut my husband’s nails and hair after he refused to cut my toe nails when I was pregnant?

quote:

I am African and my husband is Jamaican. When we were dating, I started cutting his nails (toes and hands) just for fun. I am a very caring person, so it made me very happy to cut his nails while we were watching a movie or something. We got married a little bit before Covid hit so on top of cutting his nails, I started cutting his hair as well because barbershops were closed. I truly enjoyed myself doing these things especially styling his beard that I asked him to keep because I like the look. I never asked him to do such thing in return simply because I am a control freak and like to do things on my own.

All was going well until I got pregnant. I kept doing all these things for him, as the belly got bigger, I couldn’t reach and cut my own toenails. So, one day as I was struggling to do it myself, my husband walked in the room and I asked him to help me cut my nails. His reaction shocked me as he said that he can never do that because he is a man. I brought to his attention that I have been doing it for him for years and I am only asking because I can’t do it myself. He told me that I can do it for him because I am a woman, but him cutting my nails would be diminishing and I am trying to emasculate him.

His response broke my feelings because I truly thought that he would be happy to take care of me, the same way I was doing for him. So, I told him that I wouldn’t be cutting his nails or his hair. Sometimes I see his long nails and he looks so unkept, and it drives me crazy. Sometimes he has an important meeting at work, and I look at the hair and beard that need trimming but I resist the urge to do something about it because he made me feel so inferior as a human being and it wasn’t the best feeling.
I don't know why I needed to know the characters' ethnic backgrounds for this, but ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This being a Math teacher makes me wonder if it's not the case of someone with a STEM degree being able to fast-track into teaching while postponing or downright avoiding a lot of the formal requirements.

Nah, trust me, they learn all this poo poo or at least appear to be listening and nodding when it's explained to them, and then immediately forget it all because it's dumb snowflake poo poo that doesn't matter to normal kids.

You learn real early on about this poo poo. The weaponised incompetence, the failure to retain the most basic of information about other people's permanent problems, getting incredulous and angry at you for daring to be different in ways out of your control and have tangible differences and needs that aren't normal.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Invisible Clergy posted:

I don't know why I needed to know the characters' ethnic backgrounds for this, but ok.

She wants to know if she's Jamaican African mistake being with him

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This being a Math teacher makes me wonder if it's not the case of someone with a STEM degree being able to fast-track into teaching while postponing or downright avoiding a lot of the formal requirements.

That isn't a thing. When you want to be an elementary/high school teacher, you have to take X generic coursework in college which is about what laws you have to follow (IEP stuff, privacy stuff re: grades, classroom management, lesson planning, etc) which is the same for everyone no matter what you plan to teach. After taking these classes, you take the licensing exam that tests you on this stuff. You also take a general knowledge exam on what the colors are and what noises animals make if you're an elementary teacher or a subject-specific exam if you're a high school teacher just to check that you know what a verb is if you're an English teacher or that you can do algebra as a math teacher, etc. This, you are not trained for during your coursework but are expected to study for on your own time and possess some basic competency with if you are interested in teaching x subject as a job.

Once you've done all those classes in college and passed both licensing exams, you are assigned to a teacher who works in your desired subject area and you student teach with them for a year. During this time, you're doing all the stuff a teacher does, including IEP related accommodations.

While stemlords are predictably much worse about violations like this, since math instruction attracts coppy fucks, it's not because they are ignorant of the laws. They are trained really extensively in this area and it's hammered home because you can get yourself and the school in big trouble if you violate an IEP.

If someone completed their BS in mathematics without taking any education classes (depending on where you live it can be a major or a minor you can take in conjunction with majoring in something else if you like) and decided they wanted to be a high school teacher, they'd still need to take these classes. They can't just walk into a classroom with that and teach. It's not like an industry job where your knowledge of your subject area is adequate. Since it's a government-regulated job and you're working with kids, they need to put you through a bunch of specific training and safety programs (telling you you're a mandated reporter, what a mandated reporter is, how to pick up on signs of abuse in students, what the proper authorities to report to are, etc). That way, if you gently caress up like the IB OP does, the place that trained you and gave you your rubber stamped "I have been briefed on how to follow IEPs" certificate has its rear end covered. Nobody will hire you without these things, they are part of the credentials necessary, same as an engineer's license.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nah, trust me, they learn all this poo poo or at least appear to be listening and nodding when it's explained to them, and then immediately forget it all because it's dumb snowflake poo poo that doesn't matter to normal kids.

You learn real early on about this poo poo. The weaponised incompetence, the failure to retain the most basic of information about other people's permanent problems, getting incredulous and angry at you for daring to be different in ways out of your control and have tangible differences and needs that aren't normal.
Yeah, this.

Brawnfire posted:

:vince:

AITA for pranking my roommates into tipping our landlord?

quote:

So me (24M) and my roommates (23Ms) have been living together all throughout college. I’ve been in the workforce and paying for my own expenses for about a year now and my roommates both just recently started doing the same. For all of our years in college their parents took care of paying things like rent and utilities and stuff like that. So they’ve been coming to me for help and advice on what and where to pay these bills for our apartment.

When they first approached me a couple months ago for what to pay I told them all the standard stuff and how I do it. But I thought it would be funny also telling them they need to tip our landlord through venmo.

Yesterday they brought it up again when mentioning bills and I was thrown off because I didn’t know they would actually do it. Now I’m not actually sure how much they’re tipping but I think when I initially made the joke I said “it was just like tipping your waiter 15-20% at a restaurant.”

I’ve been feeling kinda bad about it and I’m wondering if I should come clean and tell them you don’t actually have to tip the landlord.

Edit: I should add the landlord is a family friend of mine and I really wouldn’t like to ask him to give the money back

Edit 2: To the people saying I should pay them back in my own money, I really wouldn’t be able to afford to pay the amount that’s accumulated for the last couple months for about a year.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 24, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Brawnfire posted:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Invisible Clergy posted:

I assume OP wanting to gently caress Karen is the primary reason he's whiteknighting for her as well, yes.

In the comments the OP mentions that he has been sticking by Zack all these years because OP was once in a toxic relationship and Zack was the only friend who stuck by him, so he's doing the same. Which is honorable in a way I suppose, but he's a moron for letting it ruin his own life.

There's a lot more to the story with the bully son if you read the comments. The stepdad is an unemployed authoritarian loser who tries to play the "man of the house" role with the stepson who is openly contemptuous of him.

One time stepdad made a post on Facebook "joking" about corporal punishment and the ex-husband went to confront him and the stepdad locked himself in the bathroom and climbed out the window and ran away and the son never lets him live it down lol.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Human Tornada posted:

In the comments the OP mentions that he has been sticking by Zack all these years because OP was once in a toxic relationship and Zack was the only friend who stuck by him, so he's doing the same. Which is honorable in a way I suppose, but he's a moron for letting it ruin his own life.

There's a lot more to the story with the bully son if you read the comments. The stepdad is an unemployed authoritarian loser who tries to play the "man of the house" role with the stepson who is openly contemptuous of him.

One time stepdad made a post on Facebook "joking" about corporal punishment and the ex-husband went to confront him and the stepdad locked himself in the bathroom and climbed out the window and ran away and the son never lets him live it down lol.

Good to know, thanks. It's helpful when we'll look in comments for extra information since due to AITA's stupid rules, the posts are often not able to include vital information due to the character limit and only being allowed one update on punishment of being sent to the cornfield. I'll usually only look in the comments when it seems like there is information missing, but obviously that's somewhat subjective and we'll all check the comments for different things.

If gorilla suit's stepdad is so nasty, then him being out of the house is definitely the right call. Again, him moving back in with the ex-husband who approves of his terrible behavior is a win for everybody.

AITA for not wanting my boyfriend to poop in the en-suite.

quote:

He's essentially claimed the en-suite as his own because he uses the walk in showe, I prefer to bath rather than shower and when I do shower I'm happy to use the tub shower, so that's not really a problem for me. However, apparently this means that the en-suite is his 'safe space' and he only want to use the toilet in that room.

He has more qualms about going for a number two than I do. He won't go at work, he didn't like to go at my house when we were first dating, it's like some sort of sacred bodily function to him and he won't do it anywhere other than the en-suite.

I understand that for some people pooping is a bigger deal than it is for me, am I the rear end in a top hat for not being more understanding of how he feels about going to the toilet?

I just want to enter my bedroom without bracing myself for the possibility of a nasal assault.

I mean, he doesn't even use air freshener or open a window...

TLDR: Title says it all really. I've asked him multiple times to just use one of the other TWO toilets in our home to avoid our bedroom smelling like whatever has just come out of his rear end. He says he needs a space he feels 'comfortable' and that is what the ensuite is.
I've heard of sitcom characters insisting on decorative soaps and towels in bathrooms you weren't allowed to use, but this is the first time I heard of a decorative bathroom. Apparently buying an air purifier is out of the question.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 24, 2022

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

We have a perfectly good acid vat god drat it.

tell me about it. my acid bat business has gone downhill ever since this drat inflation kicked off.

nowadays people are just yeeting these assholes into the sun because its
cheaper.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

I've heard of sitcom characters insisting on decorative soaps and towels in bathrooms you weren't allowed to use, but this is the first time I heard of a decorative bathroom. Apparently buying an air purifier is out of the question.

Didja miss where bf refused to spray an air freshener or open a window

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Didja miss where bf refused to spray an air freshener or open a window

No? Since like all reddit posters, making the man do something is obviously out of the question (wouldn't want him to feel inadequate) the obvious solution seems to be an air purifier that will passively suck up the bf's rear end gas without him having to go to the unthinkable lengths of opening a window, turning on the extractor fan, or spraying some poo-pourri or febreeze when he shits.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Some poopers will just not acknowledge that they produce a smell that affects anyone else. They can’t be bargained with. They can’t be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever,

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for refusing to cut my husband’s nails and hair after he refused to cut my toe nails when I was pregnant?

Different places of origin bring different cultural baggage and mores.
Would you have made the same comment if it read "I'm American and my husband is British"?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Invisible Clergy posted:

I had a hookup once where coming out the shower I grabbed the towel hanging next to the shower which happened to be an unspoken sacred decorative towel. This was apparently not a reasonable mistake to make and she was actually disgusted at the idea that I just only put up towels in my place if someone is supposed to use them.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Invisible Clergy posted:

That isn't a thing. When you want to be an elementary/high school teacher, you have to take X generic coursework in college which is about what laws you have to follow (IEP stuff, privacy stuff re: grades, classroom management, lesson planning, etc) which is the same for everyone no matter what you plan to teach. After taking these classes, you take the licensing exam that tests you on this stuff. You also take a general knowledge exam on what the colors are and what noises animals make if you're an elementary teacher or a subject-specific exam if you're a high school teacher just to check that you know what a verb is if you're an English teacher or that you can do algebra as a math teacher, etc. This, you are not trained for during your coursework but are expected to study for on your own time and possess some basic competency with if you are interested in teaching x subject as a job.

Once you've done all those classes in college and passed both licensing exams, you are assigned to a teacher who works in your desired subject area and you student teach with them for a year. During this time, you're doing all the stuff a teacher does, including IEP related accommodations.

While stemlords are predictably much worse about violations like this, since math instruction attracts coppy fucks, it's not because they are ignorant of the laws. They are trained really extensively in this area and it's hammered home because you can get yourself and the school in big trouble if you violate an IEP.

If someone completed their BS in mathematics without taking any education classes (depending on where you live it can be a major or a minor you can take in conjunction with majoring in something else if you like) and decided they wanted to be a high school teacher, they'd still need to take these classes. They can't just walk into a classroom with that and teach. It's not like an industry job where your knowledge of your subject area is adequate. Since it's a government-regulated job and you're working with kids, they need to put you through a bunch of specific training and safety programs (telling you you're a mandated reporter, what a mandated reporter is, how to pick up on signs of abuse in students, what the proper authorities to report to are, etc). That way, if you gently caress up like the IB OP does, the place that trained you and gave you your rubber stamped "I have been briefed on how to follow IEPs" certificate has its rear end covered. Nobody will hire you without these things, they are part of the credentials necessary, same as an engineer's license.

Haha are you in a state that’s not garbage. I’m in Texas and they have the ACP program for teachers that basically means if you have a degree, you have to pass the content exam and take 3 months of prep classes that go over legal poo poo and how to manage a classroom then they throw you in a classroom. I had 15 hours of shadowing summer school before I was in a classroom. I was gone before the end of the year because I had no idea what I was doing.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Kurieg posted:

AITA for refusing to replace an oven I broke?

Dude's been sitting on this grudge for seven years.

When I was a kid my parents bought a grill and the very first time they were firing it up I cooked a yo-yo on it while they weren't looking. They made me eat a hamburger that tasted like plastic lmao.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Invisible Clergy posted:

This is true. That's the other hosed up thing about this flavor of post: in addition to being unethical and immoral, OP is creating extra work for themselves. Your relationship with an IEP as an educator is not to judge whether or not it's reasonable, because you have zero power to overrule it. If the standard test has 5 options for a multiple choice test, and a student's IEP says "student must only have two choices on multiple choice tests due to [disability]," they are not asking you your opinion on whether you think that's what's best for them or whether you feel like doing it, they're telling you extra work you have to do to accommodate that student: the end.

Extra time is like this. Typically if abled students have an hour to take a test, an IEP for a student with extra time will say "student gets +25% standard time to take a test." If you're on a period system, they'll usually go to a separate testing area so they aren't disturbed when the next class comes in and they'll get a pass to go to their next class since they missed half of it.

quote:

I try my hardest to model them after the exams and I am aware that students who have IEPs for special needs like her receive their accommodations on the day of their IB exams. In order to ease them into it, I give all my students 15-30 minutes more than the time they would get to write their IB exams. I'd reassure her that she has her extra time need embedded in the test time.

Why is giving everyone extra time to avoid singling out the kids on an IEP inappropriate? That seems to be what the teacher is doing here, though the kids without an IEP are going to be in for a surprise when they have to take the real thing.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

therobit posted:

Who the gently caress stores plastic things inside an oven?

Sorry that this is pages back but my ex did that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You're lucky its plastic. I knew someone who stored a loaded handgun in the oven.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Barudak posted:

You're lucky its plastic. I knew someone who stored a loaded handgun in the oven.

or as the english call it, the spicey whysee point and die-see.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

pentyne posted:

that was a banger. I've got a list of the ones for the past 2 years

I'm particular to the "Ohio" one and the "my lawyer suggested" just because of the sheer aggressive determination the person has when saying it

thank you for having these.

i can't believe i became instantly angry was never used...

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Invisible Clergy posted:

I am. :eng101: IEPs (individual education plans) are the extra accommodations disabled students receive through their special education liaisons to help them complete the coursework. During the training elementary/high school teachers undergo, IEP stuff is one of the first things you are taught and spend the most time on because it is a very serious legal right disabled students are entitled to. If you do not follow their IEP as an educator, you are in violation of federal law and can be hosed quite seriously.

Compliance with federal law in this area is one of the main things you're tested on during the licensing exam and this shithead has managed to either forget everything she was taught very recently if they're a new teacher or is merely playing dumb and is willfully violating these laws to harm a disabled student.

This is the equivalent of a lawyer not knowing what an affidavit is.

This is true. That's the other hosed up thing about this flavor of post: in addition to being unethical and immoral, OP is creating extra work for themselves. Your relationship with an IEP as an educator is not to judge whether or not it's reasonable, because you have zero power to overrule it. If the standard test has 5 options for a multiple choice test, and a student's IEP says "student must only have two choices on multiple choice tests due to [disability]," they are not asking you your opinion on whether you think that's what's best for them or whether you feel like doing it, they're telling you extra work you have to do to accommodate that student: the end.

Extra time is like this. Typically if abled students have an hour to take a test, an IEP for a student with extra time will say "student gets +25% standard time to take a test." If you're on a period system, they'll usually go to a separate testing area so they aren't disturbed when the next class comes in and they'll get a pass to go to their next class since they missed half of it.

in my experince with my sister having learning disabilities most teachers dont and will not do iep stuff because they assume mostly correctly that parents dont know what it means. my mom knew exactly what it ment and my mom would just go to the principal and be like sooooooo X teacher isnt following my daughters iep correctly. lay out her iep and explain why the teacher wasnt. the principals of every single school would strike fear into my sisters hearts after this happened once.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why is giving everyone extra time to avoid singling out the kids on an IEP inappropriate? That seems to be what the teacher is doing here, though the kids without an IEP are going to be in for a surprise when they have to take the real thing.

The teacher gave everyone extra time compared to the whatever test. That makes it the default amount of time for this graded scholastic test intended for their level. The person with the IEP needed extra time compared to the default. The teacher was not giving everyone the extra time the person with the IEP was entitled to, they were giving everyone extra time because the work is difficult, and telling the disadvantaged student "welp, that's good enough for you too".

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Silly Newbie posted:

The teacher gave everyone extra time compared to the whatever test. That makes it the default amount of time for this graded scholastic test intended for their level. The person with the IEP needed extra time compared to the default. The teacher was not giving everyone the extra time the person with the IEP was entitled to, they were giving everyone extra time because the work is difficult, and telling the disadvantaged student "welp, that's good enough for you too".

So the extra time has to be relative to what everyone else is getting? This isn't a "whatever test", it's the capstone exam that the entire program is designed around and determines whether students can get college credit for the course. When everyone has to take that final exam, they will be held to a pace that's outside of the teacher's control and the student with the IEP will get extra time. But for the exams along the way the teacher gives all the students extra time beyond that standardized pace. The student with the IEP gets extra time as they would with the real test, but so do the other students. Unless the teacher is grading on a curve this wouldn't negatively impact the student with the IEP?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 24, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So the extra time has to be relative to what everyone else is getting? This isn't a "whatever test", it's the capstone exam that the entire program is designed around and determines whether students can get college credit for the course. When everyone has to take that final exam, they will be held to a pace that's outside of the teacher's control and the student with the IEP will get extra time. But for the exams along the way the teacher gives the students extra time beyond that standardized pace. The student with the IEP gets extra time as they would with the real test, but so do the other students. Unless the teacher is grading on a curve this wouldn't negatively impact the student with the IEP?

IEP is always additive over what is given to regular students. If you think the test takes an hour and the IEP needs 25% more time they get an 1:15. If you think the regular students only need 45 minutes, but say "you have one hour" since you set the benchmark at one hour the IEP student still gets 1:15. You can't "bake it in" so to speak.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Barudak posted:

IEP is always additive over what is given to regular students. If you think the test takes an hour and the IEP needs 25% more time they get an 1:15. If you think the regular students only need 45 minutes, but say "you have one hour" since you set the benchmark at one hour the IEP student still gets 1:15. You can't "bake it in" so to speak.

Fair enough, rules are rules. It would be easy for teachers to get arbitrary with the "standard" time otherwise. In this case there's an external standard being set by presumably qualified professionals, but that's not the case most of the time.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So the extra time has to be relative to what everyone else is getting? This isn't a "whatever test", it's the capstone exam that the entire program is designed around and determines whether students can get college credit for the course. When everyone has to take that final exam, they will be held to a pace that's outside of the teacher's control and the student with the IEP will get extra time. But for the exams along the way the teacher gives all the students extra time beyond that standardized pace. The student with the IEP gets extra time as they would with the real test, but so do the other students. Unless the teacher is grading on a curve this wouldn't negatively impact the student with the IEP?

think of it this way the teacher understands the entire class needs more time to learn the material and is trying to get them used to taking the test with alittle bit of extra time so that when the time comes they can do better with less time. now the iep student is going to have the current time . so she isnt getting the benefit of the extra time to learn the entire class is. she has her standard time with no drop off after a semester of learning the material.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't teach in the US and can't speak to IEP's specifically; I usually just get a list of students with accommodations that tend to be double prep time for oral exams and 45/90 extra minutes for written ones, depending on length.

I'm guessing the student is entitled to more than "15-30" extra minutes, because if the OP had any idea what they were doing they'd include the exact accommodations required by the IEP in their post.

E: They are also discriminating against the student by giving everyone but her extra time, to be clear, but I think there's a bigger offense buried here.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 24, 2022

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

massive spider posted:

Command strips are complete dogshit and can't even hold a thin picture to the wall Jesus Christ.

I mounted barcode readers in a factory using metal-to-metal tape that could support ~200 lbs per square inch of tape. i tested it by mounting a roughly 1x2 inch bracket and then lifting myself off the ground and it was not even close to coming off.

but that was like a $150 roll of special tape and i had to clean the surfaces with rubbing alcohol and then deionized water to make it stick that well.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PASS THE MASH posted:

Haha are you in a state that’s not garbage. I’m in Texas and they have the ACP program for teachers that basically means if you have a degree, you have to pass the content exam and take 3 months of prep classes that go over legal poo poo and how to manage a classroom then they throw you in a classroom. I had 15 hours of shadowing summer school before I was in a classroom. I was gone before the end of the year because I had no idea what I was doing.

No, I'm in Texas as well. Those are the things I was referring to if someone wanted to teach after already doing an undergrad degree and hadn't taken education classes during that time. While your point that they are inadequate preparation is certainly valid, all I was saying is it's not like math majors walk right from a college into a classroom if they haven't taken some education licensing stuff at some point.

snergle posted:

in my experince with my sister having learning disabilities most teachers dont and will not do iep stuff because they assume mostly correctly that parents dont know what it means. my mom knew exactly what it ment and my mom would just go to the principal and be like sooooooo X teacher isnt following my daughters iep correctly. lay out her iep and explain why the teacher wasnt. the principals of every single school would strike fear into my sisters hearts after this happened once.

Yeah, my mom was the same with my brother. Like anything you're legally entitled to as a bare minimum from the government, bad guys will try to screw you out of it at every turn, especially for people who don't know their rights.

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

Thank you for your service

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Invisible Clergy posted:

No, I'm in Texas as well. Those are the things I was referring to if someone wanted to teach after already doing an undergrad degree and hadn't taken education classes during that time. While your point that they are inadequate preparation is certainly valid, all I was saying is it's not like math majors walk right from a college into a classroom if they haven't taken some education licensing stuff at some point.

Yeah, my mom was the same with my brother. Like anything you're legally entitled to as a bare minimum from the government, bad guys will try to screw you out of it at every turn, especially for people who don't know their rights.

I know in some states they wave certain requirements in “staffing emergencies.” There is always a staffing emergency somewhere in education. I had a friend who had an art degree who ended up teaching history in Ohio. He said that all that was required of him was having a degree, so I am guessing they waived the teaching exam.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

massive spider posted:

Command strips are complete dogshit and can't even hold a thin picture to the wall Jesus Christ.
Either you're buying cheap knock offs or doing it wrong, or they just make them worse for your market. As someone who rented for almost 15 years, I only ever had a few fall off. One came off because the paint was too fresh (as in the hook was stuck to the chunk of paint). A few others fell off because the surface wasn't cleaned.

You can always use two hooks if you think the weight limit is a bit close

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

AITA for telling my roommate not to wear outside shoes in the apartment

quote:

I’ve been living in my apartment with my roommate for 10 months now. Our lease is about up. She always wears her shoes she wears outside around the apartment. I always try to take mine off when I come in the front door. Yesterday I noticed she takes her outside shoes off when she enters her room. I finally mentioned it to her last night and she seemed confused. This morning I sent a long text explaining how I see foot prints in the living room and kitchen and that if she takes off her shoes in her room she should do the same for the common areas. She replied that my text was rude and unnecessary. AITA for finally making a big deal out of it after all this time?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for bringing them to small claims court to sue for a relocation cost after they got me evicted?

quote:

Let me be clear first off that the reason I very well could be an AH here is because I am more than financially able to relocate myself and then some without their help. It's the principle of it and me not wanting them to think they've gotten away with something so loving ignorant that could have been avoided.

I was seeing my ex for 2 years and we eventually moved in to my dream condo (I had been trying to get one of these condo apartments for 4 years but they have a very high qualification list so I worked my rear end off to get it). They also have rules. It's a high end condo apartment. Its filled with mostly older rich individuals. I personally have made a fantastic life for myself and thankfully have no debts so I was finally approved, despite me not really fitting the normal age bracket they have. I was madly in love with my home. Madly in love with it. I took so much pride in this place. Might sound silly but it is what it is.

One of the biggest rules they had was no pets and no visiting animals, specifically dogs. I had no issue with this because frankly I dont have the time or energy for a dog anyhow. Well, I left for 2 weeks for my promotion ceremony and to meet with a big client that my company had been trying to land for over 3 years. I think it was 3 days before my arrival back home that I got a phone call stating that I am being evicted and that they have an officer needing to know when I'm returning so he can serve me the paperwork. When I asked why they went on this giant rant about my BFs mother apparently staying the entire time I was gone WITH HER loving DOG. A saint bernard. You cant hide him. I get home to find all my BFs stuff gone. Assumably because he knew I was going to tell him to pound sand anyways. He didnt answer any of my phone calls.

So I filled paperwork with the court house small claims department and am suing them for the relocation cost, as well as the damage made to the apartment (the dog scratched the rug up near the door so I'm assuming they locked him in the bedroom). When he was served the paperwork at his mothers house he called and lost it on me saying I'm a money hungry oval office because I knew for a fact he would never be able to financially afford this, whereas I have money. AITA?

This is the most wonderful petty thing I've ever seen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for telling my roommate not to wear outside shoes in the apartment

Tragedy of the Commons, or, Justified Homocide

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Hughlander posted:

AITA for bringing them to small claims court to sue for a relocation cost after they got me evicted?

I thought in the US, "condo" referred to what we call strata title apartments. I also thought that Americans only called them condos when they were buying them rather than renting out (which becomes an apartment). Guess I'm wrong or tenant laws in the US are trash

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Hughlander posted:

murder your ex (in court)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

pentyne posted:

previous thread titles

Please someone do a reading of these titles like a beat poem with someone noodling on the bass in the background.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for not giving one of my students extra time on her test

quote:

I give her a lot of support and even those who got 45/45 on their IB diplomas still couldn't finish their IB exams
Am I reading this right in that none of his students can actually finish that test in time, meaning the test was way too hard or long to begin with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Cloacamazing! posted:

Am I reading this right in that none of his students can actually finish that test in time, meaning the test was way too hard or long to begin with?

The problem is that the students are taking an extra hard practice test that has the same model as the real test, except the teacher gives them more time to do it because they’re still students. Then the one student with the education plan needs extra time compared to the other students, but the teacher refuses to give it because the extra time is already given compared to the real test