Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All ratings are trash for idiots, form your own opinions.

In this essay I will scientifically prove why The Omega Glory is actually the best episode of the entire franchise, furthermore

One of the Original Roddenberry Scripts!!

and it shows lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

What a coincidence that two of TOS' worst episodes, Omega Glory and Turnabout Intruder, were both written by Roddenberry.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

What a coincidence that two of TOS' worst episodes, Omega Glory and Turnabout Intruder, were both written by Roddenberry.

Ah yes, the "Starfleet won't let me captain a starship because I don't have a penis, so I'm going to steal Jim Kirk's, oh no my womanliness has made me go insane inside Kirk's body" episode and the "You know what Outer Space needs to set it straight? The US motherfucking Constitution!" episode. I'm starting to see more and more why the first season of Picard was such a mess given how Michael Chabon once wrote a loving essay trying to legitimately analyze what The Omega Glory was trying to say.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Ah yes, the "Starfleet won't let me captain a starship because I don't have a penis, so I'm going to steal Jim Kirk's, oh no my womanliness has made me go insane inside Kirk's body" episode and the "You know what Outer Space needs to set it straight? The US motherfucking Constitution!" episode. I'm starting to see more and more why the first season of Picard was such a mess given how Michael Chabon once wrote a loving essay trying to legitimately analyze what The Omega Glory was trying to say.

I could be getting this wrong, but I remember reading or hearing somewhere that Turnabout Intruder's story was written in the wake of a nasty divorce, which might (partially) explain the "bitches be crazy" plot

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I could be getting this wrong, but I remember reading or hearing somewhere that Turnabout Intruder's story was written in the wake of a nasty divorce, which might (partially) explain the "bitches be crazy" plot

More and more Zefram Cochrane's rant to Riker in the cockpit of the Phoenix comes to reflect the true nature of Roddenberry as a person and the true core of Gene's Vision™ in general.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

More and more Zefram Cochrane's rant to Riker in the cockpit of the Phoenix comes to reflect the true nature of Roddenberry as a person and the true core of Gene's Vision™ in general.

Ron Moore has literally said he wrote that speech with Roddenberry in mind.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

Omega Glory is also super racist on top of being a weird 'wave the flag' thing

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Man, nothing represents Discovery better than our main characters standing around having a prolonged conversation about how every second counts full of pregnant pauses and overwrought speeches.

The space hero slow walk suited up down the hallway was a nice touch when EVERY SECOND COUNTS when everyone has personal site to site transporters.

But at least they used them to transport the 10 feet on to the floating shuttle.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 19, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

And while googling that up, I ran across this, for the other kind of rating:

Spot your favorites (and your :airquote:favorites:airquote:).

the best star trek seasons ever: s3 and s4 of enterprise.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Spot your favorites (and your :airquote:favorites:airquote:).

People, use median not average.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I refuse to refer to the Kirk is an Indian episode as Kirk is a Native American because I feel like it is more offensive to call whatever was going on a depiction of Native Americans.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas/status/1505009140355067905

Tax evasion, not even once.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Not only Yoshi, he wiped out all Yoshi's kin from eggs-istence

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Eimi posted:

Let the Lower Decks guys reanimate TAS but keep the audio.

Do the opposite and let them go Sealab 2021 on it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Entropic posted:

It's this.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

"I hate the Mirror Universe!"

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Brawnfire posted:

I was playing Spongebob for my daughter and the Prodigy spot came on, she said it "looked cool like the spaceship shows [daddy] watches after I go to bed" and she "wants to see the spaceship show"

This is very cute.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry_Ed posted:

"I hate the Mirror Universe!"

Do you want the goatee on or off?

Off, please

Too bad.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I just don't know if I want to live a thousand years. Even as an Adrienne Barbeau-borg.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sash! posted:

I just don't know if I want to live a thousand years. Even as an Adrienne Barbeau-borg.

Just think of all the Spider-Man reboots you'd have to suffer through!

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I saw the Playmobil Enterprise in person. drat, that thing’s impressively huge, and very good looking. The engine lights are very nice, and it’s all so smooth.

If they ever do anything TNG era, I’m there day one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/realGulDukat/status/1502821234219929602

God, even when he's dead he won't shut the gently caress up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Star Trek: TMP: Director’s Cut hits Paramount+ exclusively on 4/5 with Dolby Vision and Atmos (assuming you have the correct plan for it). No word yet on a physical release.

This poses a problem for me because while I’m subscribed to Paramount+, it’s with the T-Mobile promo that only grants the base level tier and that level doesn’t have 4k, HDR, or Atmos. I can’t pay the difference to upgrade and if I take off the promo, I lose it.

Maybe I’ll use a throwaway email address and signup with a promo after it comes out to have a chance to watch it in fully quality until they actually release it on disc.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The menace phantome I love how old movies have French titles for no reason.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Not really much anything new, but here's Jonathan Frakes and Brannon Braga remembering the production of "Cause and Effect:" https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/star-trek-next-generation-best-episode-1235116052/

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op2lTZqC5z8&t=1s

Or worse link for non-americans

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Yay! I was wondering when they were going to finish that.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I kind of want to watch it in a theater.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

God bless them for having the common sense - the goddamn human decency even - not to feel the need to touch up or improve the original film warp effect.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's going to be interesting to compare this to the 4k release with the box set.

On the surface, it's easy to think "Just some edits and then some new CG shots thrown in." but that's not really the case.

The 4k release with the box set was a full on remastering, but it only went as far as going back to a completed edited negative.

The 4k director's cut release goes a step further in that the original SFX shots are recomposited (much like they had to do with TNG). So, on the Theatrical 4k release when you see the Enterprise in space dock with the earth behind it, it's a 2nd (or more) generation optical composite with 1970s matte lines. For the directors cut, it's composited with modern techniques which should not only make the matte more seamless, it should improve the optical clarity too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bull3964 posted:

It's going to be interesting to compare this to the 4k release with the box set.

On the surface, it's easy to think "Just some edits and then some new CG shots thrown in." but that's not really the case.

The 4k release with the box set was a full on remastering, but it only went as far as going back to a completed edited negative.

The 4k director's cut release goes a step further in that the original SFX shots are recomposited (much like they had to do with TNG). So, on the Theatrical 4k release when you see the Enterprise in space dock with the earth behind it, it's a 2nd (or more) generation optical composite with 1970s matte lines. For the directors cut, it's composited with modern techniques which should not only make the matte more seamless, it should improve the optical clarity too.

There were comparison shots posted a week or two ago that showed just that, the matting is much cleaner and since all the individual elements were scanned for recomposition the matte paintings and background elements all look incredible.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't know that they were able to recompose every single shot, I think they found some of the matte shots but not all and some are just from the final master scan? But even the others can be cleaned up dramatically in computer, I'm sure.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 25, 2022

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Now if only they’d cut it by like an hour to get it somewhere approaching watchable.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

chglcu posted:

Now if only they’d cut it by like an hour to get it somewhere approaching watchable.

That's... exactly what this is.

(Specifically, it's the 4K remaster of that.)

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

That's... exactly what this is.

(Specifically, it's the 4K remaster of that.)

Really? I thought the director's cut was longer than the theatrical, though I don't think I've seen it? I was saying the movie has enough plot for maybe one hour.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The Directors Cut cut runs something like 15 minutes shorter than theatrical, but I think it's closer to 20-25 minutes cut because some of the time is taken back by restoring a couple of deleted scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Seemlar posted:

The Directors Cut cut runs something like 15 minutes shorter than theatrical, but I think it's closer to 20-25 minutes cut because some of the time is taken back by restoring a couple of deleted scenes

Huh, well maybe I'll give it a watch then. Long, slow movies are really not my thing, though. Like, I'd rather watch nothing but Ed Wood and Roger Corman films than sit through 2001, Ran or Solaris again.