Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's also being used as a logical jumping point to argue that there must be fire to the second and third hand accounts of smoke which makes even less sense. I can't tell if Kalit is falling into a technically correct hole where they need to push back on the union comment or if they're pushing the union stuff to silently push the "and the rumors are all true". One is pretty chill and whatever, we're all nerds who need to be right. The other is very unchill.

I don’t know what rumors you’re referring to. But it seems likely that Carter pissed a lot of people off during his second term in office. On top of that, VA is no closer to getting rid of their right to work law and they seem to have fewer progressives in office after last year’s elections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Manager Hoyden posted:

So none of them then

Read what I wrote.

quote:

I provide some of the ones I did when I started trying to deal with it

Discendo Vox posted:

Large swathes of this list are either already being done, already done, not doable by executive order or action, or so vague as to be unclear what can be done. I started to go through it with the IRS material, but it's not worth the time.
  • Curb abuse of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act’s Opportunity Zone program in which wealthy investors shield capital gains from taxes by promulgating new regulations that the Treasury Department annually certify Opportunity Zone funds fulfill all the program’s requirements, including 90 percent of an investment being made in an Opportunity Zone itself and robust reporting requirements. This is vague, but there’s already an annual cert process for participants in the Opportunity Zone program; if they’re asking for additional, intensive enforcement scrutiny, that would require additional Congressional funding.
  • Raise billions by closing the carried interest loophole that lets Wall Street executives managing other peoples’ money disguise part of their salary as investment returns to cut their taxes; currently, investment income of wealthy money managers is taxed at the capital gains rate of 20 percent, whereas their wage income is taxed at 37 percent. I have no idea why the authors would think this wouldn’t require an act of Congress.
  • Fight unfair tax evasion by the wealthy through IRS authority to require reporting by financial institutions on large deposits related to business transactions without encroaching on the financial privacy for average account holders. This rule was proposed months ago.
  • Reverse Trump administration regulations that further expanded the offshore tax loopholes created by the Republican Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. Promulgate new regulations to close transfer pricing loopholes, prevent earnings stripping, reform the abuse of foreign tax credits, and protect and expand the U.S. source taxation base. Incredibly vague, but several of these are already done. Others can’t, because TCJA was a law, and the president still doesn’t get to overturn laws.
  • Advance corporate transparency through a Securities and Exchange Commission rule requiring public companies to disclose information about their exposure to climate-related risks, including: the company’s direct and indirect greenhouse gas emissions; the total amount of fossil fuel-related assets the company owns or manages; the company’s expected valuation if climate change continues at its current pace or greenhouse gas emissions are restricted to meet the 1.5 degrees Celsius goal; and the company’s risk management strategies related to the physical risks and transition risks posed by the climate crisis. Already being done.

I'm not going to research every single area of US law and rulemaking to go through the whole threadshitting list.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 24, 2022

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah but they will have it even worse. I mean really anything that ever exists on earth again will probably have to live with microplastics.

Aren't there some interventions being developed that could significantly reduce the amount of microplastics in the environment? Here's one that seems as though it would work in water: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/apr/28/scientists-find-way-to-remove-polluting-microplastics-with-bacteria

And in addition to bacteria sticking to plastic, researchers are also looking at bacteria that can digest it: https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottcarpenter/2021/03/10/the-race-to-develop-plastic-eating-bacteria

Besides dealing with microplastics in the polluted area itself, there's also research being done on eliminating them at the source [2], and it's also possible already for consumers to filter microplastics from their own water supply.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Remember the other day when we were talking about Rhode Island and New England and how life in Blue states isn't a Democrats dream because of corrupt politics? The Lee Carter stuff all reminds me of the Alex Morse story. Gus Bickford along with other DNC MA members manufactured an attack that Alex Morse was sleeping with his students and used homophobia to promote it. He's also still the chair and still makes important DNC decisions.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Read what I wrote.

In fairness to him, you didn't indicate that you'd edited your post.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Discendo Vox posted:

Read what I wrote.

I'm not going to research every single area of US law and rulemaking to go through the whole threadshitting list.

Well I saw where you provided a list of things that are in a vague category of "being done" but it appears that none of them involve a single executive order, which was the whole point of the list from the Congressional Progressive Caucus

No one actually has to Baghdad Bob for this administration, you know

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Koos Group posted:

In fairness to him, you didn't indicate that you'd edited your post.

"I provide some of the ones I did when I started trying to deal with it" is in fact an indication.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Well I saw where you provided a list of things that are in a vague category of "being done" but it appears that none of them involve a single executive order, which was the whole point of the list from the Congressional Progressive Caucus

The list from CPC is about "executive action", not executive orders, which could do even fewer of the things on the list. The things "being done" all require rulemaking, usually notice and comment. An executive order is not a substitute for notice and comment rulemaking.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 24, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kalit posted:

I don’t know what rumors you’re referring to. But it seems likely that Carter pissed a lot of people off during his second term in office. On top of that, VA is no closer to getting rid of their right to work law and they seem to have fewer progressives in office after last year’s elections

The ones posted in the thread that people kept saying might be true because people didn't like Lee and we don't know why. Anyways, you're doing the technically correct thing and I guess also arguing without reading the whole thread and knowing who you're arguing with or about.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

After taking 5 months to solve the daylight savings time issue, congress is moving on to the next largest problem in America: The Penny.

Covid supply chain issues, Zinc shortages, and the U.S. budget deficit have combined to make congress look into eliminating the penny.

The reasons for elimination are:

- It costs ~1.8 cents to make one penny and the GAO has determined that there is no possible way to lower the cost of making a penny to lower than the face value of the coin.
- The U.S. treasury says that roughly 2/3 of pennies minted never circulate. That means they are either lost, sitting in a drawer, or discarded.
- A Gallup poll from 2015 says that 2% of Americans admit that they throw their pennies into the trash and 40% never use them.
- Supply chain issues are not only raising the cost of making the penny, but also producing coin shortages. Despite these shortages, they are still minting money that will mostly never circulate.
- People are using more digital currency and pennies are less necessary for making change.

The arguments for keeping it are:

- Nickels cost more to make than a penny. The mint would have to produce more nickels to make up for the lack of pennies.
- Most coins circulate for an average of 20 or 30 years, so even though it costs more to make a penny than the penny is worth, it will probably still break even over a 20 or 30 year period.
- Pennies are one of the most common donations to charity. Organizations such as the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, the Salvation Army, and the Ronald McDonald House ask people to donate pennies to raise funds.
- The Lincoln Presidential Library opposes eliminating any currency with Lincoln on it and the U.S. Zinc council says that 1,100 jobs are dependent on the penny minting process.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/circulating-coinage-production-totals-fall-for-2021
https://pantagraph.com/business/loc...b7f787f5d2.html
Sorry to bring Penny Talk back, but I was just wondering how much of a headache would this cause for businesses, banking, etc... Like, do we still divide dollars down to the 100ths or to the 20ths? Is there some easy way all stores'/fast food place's registers just round up/down on giving back change?

It just seems like some massive undertaking. And this is coming from someone who hasn't paid in cash in several years.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kalit posted:

Seem to have fewer democrats in office overall, including statewide offices, so it doesn't look like the people who ran Carter out of town are doing a great job either, pragmatically speaking of course

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

JazzFlight posted:

Sorry to bring Penny Talk back, but I was just wondering how much of a headache would this cause for businesses, banking, etc... Like, do we still divide dollars down to the 100ths or to the 20ths? Is there some easy way all stores'/fast food place's registers just round up/down on giving back change?

It just seems like some massive undertaking. And this is coming from someone who hasn't paid in cash in several years.

All prices are rounded up to the nearest nickel, and we never speak of it again.

I love it because it would eliminate 99 cent marketing in one fell swoop. It would probably just switch to .95 cents though.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

"I provide some of the ones I did when I started trying to deal with it" is in fact an indication.

To me that sounded like you were talking about activism you did or some other thread you made or something lol. But it's not that important either way, just saying he may have misunderstood it as I did.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

All prices are rounded up to the nearest nickel, and we never speak of it again.

I love it because it would eliminate 99 cent marketing in one fell swoop. It would probably just switch to .95 cents though.
I understand prices, but what about change? When sales tax is added to the price, you're gonna have a non-5/0 amount.
I mean, I guess all businesses could have a disclaimer added to their storefront saying that physical change will be rounded down to a 5/0, so tough luck.

Also when registers are checked at the end of shifts, I guess businesses will have to make additional concessions for that discrepancy. It's a small amount, for sure, but it seems like it would make book-keeping less accurate. It feels like every business will be doing the Office Space "keep the rounded down change" scam.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 24, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What do stores do now when you buy something for $9.99 and sales tax brings it to $10.7882?

What happens when you purchase 1 gallon of gasoline at a list price of $3.499?

Do you demand half-pennies and quarter-pennies and milles and microdollar coins? Or do you say eh it's not worth anyone's time to deal with half a penny.

There used to be a half-penny coin back when that was a worthwhile amount to track instead of round off

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

I understand prices, but what about change? When sales tax is added to the price, you're gonna have a non-5/0 amount.
I mean, I guess all businesses could have a disclaimer added to their storefront saying that physical change will be rounded down to a 5/0, so tough luck.

Also when registers are checked at the end of shifts, I guess businesses will have to make additional concessions for that discrepancy. It's a small amount, for sure, but it seems like it would make book-keeping less accurate. It feels like every business will be doing the Office Space "keep the rounded down change" scam.

Everything will be priced so the final total is at a 1 or 6 cent spot so the can take an extra 4 cents on every transaction.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

But, the U.S. has very few guardrails compared to other countries, so despite the fact that it "works" for most people most of the time, the bottom 10-15% of the population or people who run into one of the instances where it doesn't "work most of the time" can fall into a pit that would be almost impossible to fall into in other countries.

The general consensus is that it’s roughly 1/5th to 1/3rd of Americans who can’t afford care at all.

The fact that the U.S. is the richest country in the world and #1 in many individual financial/quality of life indicators, but #18 on healthcare is indicative that it is severely underperforming relative to its capacity. It's not "the worst" healthcare system in the world, but it is pretty bad in context.

These indicators rarely factor inequality to the mix.

For example the U.S. sits around the mid-teens in Human Development Index (HDI). However, it barely scraps the top 30 when inequality is factored in with the IHDI, as the U.S.’s inequality is closer to that of mid-income developing nation than an OCED one. In fact it barely makes the “very high human development list” and wasn’t even on there the year prior. And this report is two years old at this point so the U.S. has undoubtedly sunk even further.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Lib and let die posted:

Don't care who it is. Let Canada or Mexico, or hell, the asshokes in England come and take us over. Our leadership is simultaneously asleep at the wheel, while ramming lines off the 8-track catching air on hills, blasting metallica, and has a trunk full of C4 on a hair loving trigger.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I can understand the first two but you do not, in any circumstance, want Boris Johnson and his more insane friends running anything. We are a trashfire nation, making all the same mistakes as the US but without the economy to bruteforce our idiotic national decisions to success.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

So you're going to put a minimal amount of effort into proving that the list is bullshit but want the rest of the thread to believe that it's bullshit? I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the House Progressive Caucus knows more about what can be done via executive action and executive order than you do.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This is some sovcit level of word play nonsense. A state attorney general refusing to say that Biden is duly elected, and refusing to acknowledge that he's refusing to say it.

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1507021892682764292?s=20&t=3y6nktXyKk3LEa0wNmymwA

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

VitalSigns posted:

Seem to have fewer democrats in office overall, including statewide offices, so it doesn't look like the people who ran Carter out of town are doing a great job either, pragmatically speaking of course

Sorry, I should have been more precise. I meant it seemed like a number of progressive incumbents [in VA] also lost their 2021 primary election. Which led to a less progressive Democrat in office for those who went on and won the general election

Kalit fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 24, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

B B posted:

So you're going to put a minimal amount of effort into proving that the list is bullshit but want the rest of the thread to believe that it's bullshit? I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the House Progressive Caucus knows more about what can be done via executive action and executive order than you do.

It seems like it's just via "executive action", not order, which I assume means it's not just something Biden can do alone, like was claimed.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Regarde Aduck posted:

I can understand the first two but you do not, in any circumstance, want Boris Johnson and his more insane friends running anything. We are a trashfire nation, making all the same mistakes as the US but without the economy to bruteforce our idiotic national decisions to success.

I don't care for the longing for somebody on the 'outside' to come in and "fix" (with real big air quotes, especially in the context of Xi Jinping or Vladimir Putin, good lord) our problems, in general. I think that type of thinking distracts from the necessary fact that we ourselves are responsible for fixing the hosed up and awful parts of our society. We are the change we have been looking for, as a wise man once said.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

B B posted:

I've put in effort and the response has been "nuh uh". Executive orders aren't the same thing as rulemaking or executive action.

RBA Starblade posted:

It seems like it's just via "executive action", not order, which I assume means it's not just something Biden can do alone, like was claimed.

"Executive action" generally includes rulemaking by executive agencies or agencies subject to executive control, which is a lot of them. Rulemaking's something the executive can direct an agency to do (although depending on the rule and agency, the agency can sabotage or block the rulemaking in various ways).

A bunch of the listed items require congressional funding or congressional changes to the law...or are asking for rules that are already proposed or even in implementation. It looks like the list a) wasn't proofread on initial assembly and b) hasn't been updated in at least a year. Its main utility is to deploy to poo poo up discussion by pretending it's authoritative and shifting a false burden onto the executive branch.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 24, 2022

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
In regards to penny chat, you basically just do what Canada did when we got rid of them. Namely, you price everything like before, you total up the whole bill at the end with taxes, and round up or down to the nearest 5 cents if paying in cash (if the total ends in 1/2/6/7 cents, you round down, if it ends in 3/4/8/9, round up), or if debit/credit, you don't round at all.

Either way, most anywhere is gonna have the subtotal before rounding listed, and mention what was paid out as change, so you can still see how much you "should" have as a retailer at the end. You do the rounding after all taxes and etc are calculated, so you don't end up with any bizarre situations after. And since its based on the final bill, its not a trivial matter to just price everything a specific way just to try and capture a couple literal pennies; at least, no one here has changed prices in such a way.

VitalSigns posted:

What do stores do now when you buy something for $9.99 and sales tax brings it to $10.7882?

What happens when you purchase 1 gallon of gasoline at a list price of $3.499?

Do you demand half-pennies and quarter-pennies and milles and microdollar coins? Or do you say eh it's not worth anyone's time to deal with half a penny.

There used to be a half-penny coin back when that was a worthwhile amount to track instead of round off

So for all of these:

• You round it to $10.79 if cash, or however it is otherwise rounded if card (no one does taxes to 4 decimal places in the US to my awareness regardless so its kinda weird as an example).
  • Assuming nothing else applies, you pay $3.50 for that gallon of gas. Does anyone really price gas at stations to the 10th of a cent? Dang.
  • Why on earth would anyone introduce even smaller-rear end coins after making the effort of getting rid of the currently smallest-rear end coins?

JazzFlight posted:

As mentioned, these are basically handled as above, in terms of rounding up or down, and for reconciliation later (I recall seeing some numbers come out that the rounding on the business end basically washed out in the end evenly but don't have such handy), and since its only on cash, and the rule is always applied the same, there shouldn't be scams on this, but I am sure some scum-rear end will do it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Would it be possible to let prices stay what they are, round up the post-sales-tax value to the next multiple of five cents, and have the added cost treated as more sales tax? That would basically eliminate pricing fuckery by removing the incentive, and the rounding would be applied per transaction instead of per item which keeps the long term added cost down. Retailers still get to do their dumb *.99 pricing, and the software they already use handles the rest, so I don't see anyone on the capital side of things with any reason to fight it besides reflexive change opposers and companies that make those penny-smushing machines for tourists.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 24, 2022

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Bishyaler posted:

Cool reductionist speedrun!

How about we start by acknowledging there is a difference between making billions of dollars of weapons available to self-avowed neo-nazi national guard units and having someone with far-right views drive on a road paved with tax dollars?

If you're going to advocate for passively sitting by while Russia commits a genocide because "mah tax dollars!", then yes, you get the ultra sarcastic allegory.

My point, which you missed completely, is that Russian propaganda for the "justification" for war in this instance is the "de-Nazification" of Ukraine.

Ukraine has a Nazi party (they hold 1 seat out of 450), and a (one, singular) Nazi regiment fighting in the war. That much is true.

But they also have fewer Nazis than the US, Canada, and the UK. If you think this war is about anything other than Putin's legacy, and trying to exterminate the Ukrainian people for "disloyalty"; then we really have nothing to say to each other.

However, if your point is "I don't want my tax dollars going towards war"; I can understand that.

"The end recipient of this relief concerns me." Super valid.

When you use Kremlin/Tucker Carlson talking points?

At that point, I struggle to stay civil.

And the sentence I quoted from you initially? WAS loving GHOULISH.

Bishyaler posted:

But its great to know that Ukrainian nazis will get relief even though it might be stolen from their mailbox.

gently caress 1,000 years of culture and 43 million people. The Svoboda party won ONE seat.

Reductionist implies you said something worthwhile.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NutShellBill posted:

If you're going to advocate for passively sitting by while Russia commits a genocide because "mah tax dollars!", then yes, you get the ultra sarcastic allegory.

My point, which you missed completely, is that Russian propaganda for the "justification" for war in this instance is the "de-Nazification" of Ukraine.

Ukraine has a Nazi party (they hold 1 seat out of 450), and a (one, singular) Nazi regiment fighting in the war. That much is true.

But they also have fewer Nazis than the US, Canada, and the UK. If you think this war is about anything other than Putin's legacy, and trying to exterminate the Ukrainian people for "disloyalty"; then we really have nothing to say to each other.

However, if your point is "I don't want my tax dollars going towards war"; I can understand that.

"The end recipient of this relief concerns me." Super valid.

When you use Kremlin/Tucker Carlson talking points?

At that point, I struggle to stay civil.

And the sentence I quoted from you initially? WAS loving GHOULISH.

gently caress 1,000 years of culture and 43 million people. The Svoboda party won ONE seat.

Reductionist implies you said something worthwhile.

US leadership doesn't care about genocide so "it's a genocide" can't be the reason we're actually involved. It might be why you think we should be but it's not the reason we're involved.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

punk rebel ecks posted:

The general consensus is that it’s roughly 1/5th to 1/3rd of Americans who can’t afford care at all.

These indicators rarely factor inequality to the mix.

For example the U.S. sits around the mid-teens in Human Development Index (HDI). However, it barely scraps the top 30 when inequality is factored in with the IHDI, as the U.S.’s inequality is closer to that of mid-income developing nation than an OCED one. In fact it barely makes the “very high human development list” and wasn’t even on there the year prior. And this report is two years old at this point so the U.S. has undoubtedly sunk even further.

Per capita and median calculations by definition factor inequality into the count. Mean or average calculations are subject to outlier skews.

The U.S. has the highest per capita disposable income of any country, even when taking into account taxes and transfers like free/reduced healthcare and education.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/725764/oecd-household-disposable-income-per-capita/

The standard deviation for distribution in the U.S. is wider than other countries, but the median American has more disposable income than a median citizen of any other country even after accounting for government benefits and taxation.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 24, 2022

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Gumball Gumption posted:

US leadership doesn't care about genocide so "it's a genocide" can't be the reason we're actually involved. It might be why you think we should be but it's not the reason we're involved.

Hi. Third generation Ukrainian-Canadian here.

Ancestors escaped Stalin's famines.

I am somewhat biased against the genocide of the Ukrainian people.

Just thought context might be appropriate.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
I thought this was a very interesting twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/julianeusner/status/1506798121283584000

(White) Ukrainian refugees getting a Disney Fastpass into the country while (Brown) Mexican refugees get turned away under Title 42 grounds at the exact same port of entry because there’s a pandemic going on, dontcha know?

Literally the family guy skin color meme.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NutShellBill posted:

Hi. Third generation Ukrainian-Canadian here.

Ancestors escaped Stalin's famines.

I am somewhat biased against the genocide of the Ukrainian people.

Just thought context might be appropriate.

Yeah that's really good context, like I said it can be a very valid reason for you wanting to be involved. It's a thing that's happening. I'm just saying the US government does not care because they do not care about genocide on it's own, are happy to let their allies commit them, and are happy to commit their own so if someone is questioning why the US is involved they're not jumping to loving genocide and really wanting to see it happen.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah that's really good context, like I said it can be a very valid reason for you wanting to be involved. It's a thing that's happening. I'm just saying the US government does not care because they do not care about genocide on it's own, are happy to let their allies commit them, and are happy to commit their own so if someone is questioning why the US is involved they're not jumping to loving genocide and really wanting to see it happen.

Can't even see how destroying imperialist tanks and other armed forces is a goal in an of itself, what a worthless "anti-imperialist".

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Would it be possible to let prices stay what they are, round up the post-sales-tax value to the next multiple of five cents, and have the added cost treated as more sales tax?.

Sales taxes are regressive, so this should not be the solution in a good society.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
yeah, the Ukranian diaspora in Canada has a ~nuanced~ approach to genocide in Ukraine, historically. people do not put up statuary honoring Ukranian volunteers for the Waffen-SS for shits and giggles.

the story begins with least one post-war Canadian government official saying "if we could import a bunch of former nazis that would make breaking up labor organization a lot easier," and there have been some WEIRD aftereffects. most recent of which being the Canadian Minister of Finance showing up to a pro-ukraine rally and holding a fascist battle flag, in a photo that was hastily taken down and replaced with one where the offending flag was shuffled into the background.

(understandably there's plenty of the Ukranian diaspora who want nothing to do with these people, but, as is so often the case, the people whose opinions are convenient for the far right get a lot more media/financial/political support from above than the other ones)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Happiness Commando posted:

Sales taxes are regressive, so this should not be the solution in a good society.

Of course. But it's still less of a burden than letting every business adjust their own prices, so poor people get hit by the same increase multiple times per transaction instead of just once. And you just know businesses will only round in one direction.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Pobrecito posted:

I thought this was a very interesting twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/julianeusner/status/1506798121283584000

(White) Ukrainian refugees getting a Disney Fastpass into the country while (Brown) Mexican refugees get turned away under Title 42 grounds at the exact same port of entry because there’s a pandemic going on, dontcha know?

Literally the family guy skin color meme.

Everybody always knew this what this was about.

It's useful to see it explicit, but pretty much everyone knows what the real issue is, and it was extra obvious as soon as Europe swallowed a million Ukrainian immigrants with zero protests but stopped the black Ukrainians at the border.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Panzeh posted:

Can't even see how destroying imperialist tanks and other armed forces is a goal in an of itself, what a worthless "anti-imperialist".

This, doesn't appear to have much to do with the comment? Being anti-imperialist means being opposed to almost every single nation state at the moment. Unfortunately.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

Also, apparently Dr. Oz was appointed to the President's Council on Sports, Physical Fitness, and Nutrition by Trump and is still there.

But, Biden has asked him to resign or be fired by 6 pm tonight.

Honestly not sure which is more confusing: That he was there in the first place or that they bothered to kick him off after a year of being there into Biden's term.

https://twitter.com/DrOz/status/1506747211257978889

Apparently Mehmet Oz and Herschel Walker are both running for office; they're Republican candidates facing primaries in May. There's a law (the Hatch Act) mandating that presidential council members are special employees who "may not be candidates in partisan elections". So they had to be kicked off the presidential council.

Mehmet Oz is either loudly ignorant of the law or worse.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ated/ar-AAVqnAu

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
The Ukrainian-Canadian population is not a monolith. A couple of the (Canadian) CSPAM mods have mentioned that Ukrainian immigrants played important roles in the labor movement in Canada and a chunk are/were pretty left-wing. There is of course a large Ukrainian nationalist segment which has ties to the Ukrainian far-right and Banderite elements. It's important however not to generalize support of SS Galizien monuments and Azov battalion to the entire Canadian diaspora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh, ok. Sure. Nellie and Bruce Ohr need to be held accountable!

https://twitter.com/jannwolfe/status/1507051931604336647?s=21