Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

drat. Guess I'm stuck continuing to post this strip then.

I'll wager 600 quatloos that the name they picked was also, entirely by chance, Sarah's top suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

I guess Doc? If Lee had turned on the gas, Joe would have smelled it. Also, as a comic chain-smoker, she might have set the gas on fire?

If Doc actually has a cold, he might not have. So I suspect he administered some sort of sedative while treating the victim, and turned on the gas, and is using his fake cold to claim that he wouldn't have smelled the gas a previous visitor supposedly activated, but I can't work out why. Possibly "A doctor would never visit a patient while he himself is sick?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
As much as this Phantom storyline has dragged I do appreciate that Mozz finally made his point and it is a pretty good one.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

maltesh posted:

I guess Doc? If Lee had turned on the gas, Joe would have smelled it. Also, as a comic chain-smoker, she might have set the gas on fire?

If Doc actually has a cold, he might not have. So I suspect he administered some sort of sedative while treating the victim, and turned on the gas, and is using his fake cold to claim that he wouldn't have smelled the gas a previous visitor supposedly activated, but I can't work out why. Possibly "A doctor would never visit a patient while he himself is sick?"

I'll go the other way and say it's Joe. He would have known that the victim couldn't smell gas with a freshly-broken nose, so he took the opportunity to turn it on before he left. And by chance, the Doc who came by a little later had a cold and couldn't smell the gas building up either.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ahhh, the eye-patch is flipping.

Also, don't doxx me, Lockhorns.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Alhazred posted:

The timing of this strip continues to be the worst.

thankfully none of this actually happening and is a complete waste of time and ink

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Doomykins posted:

As much as this Phantom storyline has dragged I do appreciate that Mozz finally made his point and it is a pretty good one.

WHAT POINT?!?!?!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

WHAT POINT?!?!?!

If the Phantom lets Savarna out she'll go kill one of her abusers and that will cause the Phatom's Son to die in a retaliatory bombing raid. Good moral.

How does Mozz know all these details about Savarna's past and that guy she kills in his story? Assuming he's not making all of it up.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Jungle medicine man drugs.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The point is that it feels good to enact justice for Savarna and free her from superjail and then for her to get some really righteous vengeance buuuuuuut good intentions and unintended consequences something something entire city bombed to hell and your son dies, dude.

How Mozz knows this in this much detail is a stretch to tell the story to us readers but he's a something something prophetic wiseman.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Samovar posted:

Ahhh, the eye-patch is flipping.

Also, don't doxx me, Lockhorns.

The inventory guy is a fighting game character and they have to keep his sprite consistent for readability.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

For his neutral special, he wields a scan gun

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Doomykins posted:

The point is that it feels good to enact justice for Savarna and free her from superjail and then for her to get some really righteous vengeance buuuuuuut good intentions and unintended consequences something something entire city bombed to hell and your son dies, dude.

How Mozz knows this in this much detail is a stretch to tell the story to us readers but he's a something something prophetic wiseman.

If you let any story about how things can have unintended consequences prevent you from acting, you will never do anything.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They really found the most perfunctory way to wrap up that Luann storyline, didn't they?

"Oh wait this dog is missing!" "Oh wait it's Luann's dog! Guess that solves that."

Writer got bored QUICK with that one.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Doomykins posted:

Mozz licks the toads

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Potsticker posted:

If you let any story about how things can have unintended consequences prevent you from acting, you will never do anything.

Hopefully the 6+ months of build time on this one makes it worthwhile.

Cut to Phantom doing it anyway tomorrow.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"Dear Kit, Please neutralize all artillery at the attached coordinates. Love, Dad"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

They really found the most perfunctory way to wrap up that Luann storyline, didn't they?

"Oh wait this dog is missing!" "Oh wait it's Luann's dog! Guess that solves that."

Writer got bored QUICK with that one.

I did appreciate the gag at the end, though.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Powered Descent posted:

I'll go the other way and say it's Joe. He would have known that the victim couldn't smell gas with a freshly-broken nose, so he took the opportunity to turn it on before he left. And by chance, the Doc who came by a little later had a cold and couldn't smell the gas building up either.

I'd wonder: Why didn't Poole object to Joe coming into his house, after punching him in the nose, and fiddling in his kitchen? If he hung around long enough, he'd know that Poole was calling in a doctor, and would expect the Doc to be able to smell the fumes, wouldn't he?

Though, thinking about your solution leads me to another potential option that Enyclopedia's "J'accuse!" doesn't seem to be pointed at. Poole turned on the gas himself, possibly to cook something, and was unable to smell the pre-existing gas leak because of the nasal injury. Possibly before the Doctor with a cold arrived. Doc left before enough gas filled the house that he'd feel symptoms. Poole succumbed during the night.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 24, 2022

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

maltesh posted:

I think it's Joe. The smoker would have set off the gas and the doc couldn't smell it because of his cold (the dead guy couldn't because of his nose).

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 24, 2022

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

drat. Guess I'm stuck continuing to post this strip then.

What's worse, though - her choosing the name, or the strip wasting a week or so of real time only for Vidpa to say, "naw, I'm good"?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Transmodiar posted:

What's worse, though - her choosing the name, or the strip wasting a week or so of real time only for Vidpa to say, "naw, I'm good"?

When it turns out

Powered Descent posted:

I'll wager 600 quatloos that the name they picked was also, entirely by chance, Sarah's top suggestion.

That's gotta be it. I refuse to believe it won't be that.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves and we're starting the third storyline.

There isn't and will not be any explanation of how Mikko knows about Into at this point.

Tomorrow: Racism!

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

More Vater und Sohn should be coming soon-ish but I bought a new computer and I'm still transferring and setting up all my poo poo, you know how it is. Was expecting to be up and running by now, but evidently I'm not so I thought I'd better say something. No need to worry about those two!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I guess we now know what Dan Crenshaw was doing before the military and politics.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Toy Galaxy did a vid on Calvin and Hobbes which is pretty good~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sBVRM3Lv6Y

He also did one for Far Side a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ha2TDtuVsw

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

man, this poo poo sucks.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online Hounds of Love

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Potsticker posted:

If the Phantom lets Savarna out she'll go kill one of her abusers and that will cause the Phatom's Son to die in a retaliatory bombing raid. Good moral.

How does Mozz know all these details about Savarna's past and that guy she kills in his story? Assuming he's not making all of it up.
He'll tell her because he's delirious with fever and thinks he's going to die without anybody else knowing how to contact his son.

Note that after reading that part he promptly told his wife how to contact his son. So he wouldn't do that, being secure in the knowledge that his wife knows how to contact his son, and thus wouldn't tell Savarna about it. This entire thing is pointless. He's already canceled this possible future.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
The only hope for this storyline is if after actually springing Savarna (which he had drat well better do) he goes with her to Nepal to find a way to deal with the cop without collateral damage.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

he's going to take care of the guy before freeing savarna

then she just gets to be out there enjoying life as told to us at length by moz for the next 3 years

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

More Vater und Sohn should be coming soon-ish but I bought a new computer and I'm still transferring and setting up all my poo poo, you know how it is. Was expecting to be up and running by now, but evidently I'm not so I thought I'd better say something. No need to worry about those two!

Thanks for posting them!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! March 30, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True April 1, 1919

Cat Tales March 11, 1925

Oaky Doaks September 15, 1936

Mopsy November 23, 1937

Up Front February 15, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems June 4, 1952

Those Were the Days August 6, 1959

Wee Pals June 7, 1966

Dogbert February 9, 1967

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

art beeman's apparent fetish for women going spearfishing is one of the more bizarre tidbits of this thread imo

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
was this another hot trend/big thing that people got worried about in the 50s, like the whole issue with marriage lawsuits?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Shugojin posted:

art beeman's apparent fetish for women going spearfishing is one of the more bizarre tidbits of this thread imo
I think it's more likely the swimsuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

He's a vampire.

That's exactly why I was wondering why it sometimes seems to be daylight. I could have made that more clear.