Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I'm legitimately surprised he's invoking the DPA for climate change. The hesitance to use it for other issues doesn't really make sense if the administration is willing to use it for climate change (which is probably slightly more of a stretch than other potential uses).

It also includes a fun blatant bribe for Manchin by making West Virginia the center of the new domestic lithium battery and green energy production supply chain.

I'm sure in less than 24 hours there will be a lawsuit against arguing that climate change doesn't fall under the national security requirement. It will be fun (not really) to see the justices who normally give the government a wide berth in deciding what is a national security issue (including Alito who once ruled that the federal government merely saying something is a state secret qualifies it as a national security issue outside the bounds of congress and the courts) suddenly decide that the executive branch has gone too far and needs to be reigned in.

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1507041077919891467

quote:

BIDEN ADMINISTRATION DRAFTING ORDER TO INVOKE DEFENSE PRODUCTION ACT FOR GREEN ENERGY STORAGE TECHNOLOGY

A draft of the executive order obtained by The Intercept would use the Defense Production Act to ramp up mineral production for electric car batteries.

THE BIDEN ADMINISTRATION is drafting an executive order invoking the Defense Production Act to alleviate shortages of key minerals needed for the technology to store clean energy. The act, which would bolster the manufacturing capacity of electric vehicle producers in particular, indicates that the administration is open to using executive power to achieve progressive policy goals as Congress remains reluctant to pass key parts of his green energy agenda.

The order would declare that “ensuring robust, resilient, and sustainable domestic industrial base to meet the requirements of the clean energy economy is essential to our national security,” according to a draft of the document that remains in the “pre-decisional” phase. That reasoning follows a renewed push from the administration on its climate change priorities in light of shocks in the oil and gas market following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The order would specifically call for the “domestic mining, beneficiation, and value-added processing of strategic and critical materials from sustainable sources for the production of large capacity batteries for the automotive, e-mobility, and stationary storage sectors is essential to national defense.” The Intercept has reached out to the White House for comment.

Several senators sent President Joe Biden a letter on Wednesday asking him to use authorities such as those contained in the Defense Production Act, which significantly expands the president’s authority to unilaterally alter domestic manufacturing policy in times of crisis, to “support and increase manufacturing capacity and supply chain security for technologies that reduce fossil fuel demand and fuel costs, such as electric heat pumps, efficient electric appliances, renewable energy generation and storage, and other clean technologies.”

The letter — signed by Democratic Sens. Ed Markey and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Martin Heinrich of New Mexico, Cory Booker of New Jersey, and Jeff Merkley of Oregon — encourages Biden to make the U.S. less dependent on oil drilling abroad while simultaneously supporting climate goals: “Producing efficient electric products and exporting those goods to the E.U. and other foreign markets would help many countries lower their dependency on fossil fuels, and thereby strengthen their own energy security.” It’s the latest example of progressives in Congress urging the president to use his considerable authority to achieve policy victories. In a release earlier this month, the Congressional Progressive Caucus outlined a substantial agenda that could be achieved with the swipe of Biden’s pen. That list included utilizing the Defense Production Act to bolster the production of green energy technology.

The oil industry is also using the Russian invasion of Ukraine as an opportunity to push back on Biden’s energy policies and lobby for increased production. In a meeting with oil and gas executives on Tuesday, JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon pitched the White House on his own Marshall Plan, Axios reported, to increase energy production in the West and thereby shore up the U.S. and Western Europe’s energy independence from petrostates like Russia. Dimon’s suggestions at the meeting — at which Biden was present, Axios reported — included more liquefied natural gas facilities in Europe.

Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm also invoked the Marshall Plan in comments earlier this week. “I think it’s a moment for us to ask at this point in our history, what is going to be our version of the Marshall Plan for clean and secure energy in 2022 and beyond?”

“This clean energy transition could be the peace project of our time,” Granholm said, speaking in Paris. “But peace always comes after struggle. So let’s give this peace project the focus and the commitment and the resources of a war time effort. Our Marshall Plan.”

The draft order also plays into domestic priorities. Last week, Granholm and Sen. Joe Manchin also announced a lithium battery supply chain program in West Virginia, which mineral production and processing would support.

So far Biden has held the line that the long-term solution to record-high gas prices and dependence on petrostates lies with a clean energy transition. In a speech announcing the U.S. would ban imports of Russian fuel oil and gas, in early March, the president said, “[Russia’s invasion] should motivate us to accelerate the transition to clean energy.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fritz the Horse posted:

The Ukrainian-Canadian population is not a monolith. A couple of the (Canadian) CSPAM mods have mentioned that Ukrainian immigrants played important roles in the labor movement in Canada and a chunk are/were pretty left-wing. There is of course a large Ukrainian nationalist segment which has ties to the Ukrainian far-right and Banderite elements. It's important however not to generalize support of SS Galizien monuments and Azov battalion to the entire Canadian diaspora.

yup. it's a lot of why there was that weird effort by the Canadian government to import ones like the aforementioned Minister of Finance's grandfather, who was the proud editor of a Nazi propaganda newspaper, because before that effort Ukranians were viewed as a dangerously left-wing bloc in Canadian labor politics

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Willa Rogers posted:

Yeah, the lack of "access to affordable" treatment was a factor in the spike in alcohol-related deaths, as was the delay of treatment for alcohol-related conditions like liver disease & mental illness.

This would be a good time to use the study as a reason to deschedule cannabis, given other studies that I believe showed a drop in alcohol abuse in states that went legal, or to pass any legislation that allows legal states' dispensaries to operate within the federal banking system instead of continuing to operate as a criminal banking cartel & required to deal with cash.

eta: The NYT story also mentioned relapses from sober people who couldn't attend in-person 12-step meetings as a factor, which makes sense.

There's also the thing where if you need to see a shrink, go to rehab type visits or what have you that a LOT of employers will not work with you and any of these types of interruptions in building cogs for them count against you. I have psychiatrist and pain management doctors that I absolutely have to legally see every legally defined period of time or else I cannot refill my medication. And I can't usually pick and choose what times they have available.

I have a special needs child that I co-parent with my ex. He has ADHD, mild autism and epilepsy. Now, being a responsible parent, this involves meeting with his teachers, doctors and therapists - in addition to tending to his different schedules depending on where we are on the school year calendar. Younger and parentless goons might be surprised how often this poo poo is used against you.

I have worked places that WILL give you the time, but they have some weird "points system" where missing x amount of time or whatever adds to your total and if you accumulate y amount in 6 months or something, it fucks up your review or whatever and can also get you written up. It's some real 5th grade demerit type poo poo. Say an order is due late Friday afternoon, it's Wednesday and they want you to work overtime but you have to pick up your kid that night. They WON'T allow you to come in early on Thursday and stay late then come in Friday early because everyone has to work 8-5 or whatever it is because we are a machine and treat everyone like robots.

Like, I can't stay late tonight but I can be here at 5am tomorrow and work til 6pm. I HAVE to see my doctor Thursday at 9am but I can stay late that night and come in super early the next day. I can come in every other Saturday when I don't have my kid. Companies say "no one wants to work" but don't understand or accommodate the idea that working on yourself is also work. I have had to turn down several jobs simply because I cannot make it work with my parenting schedule and mandatory doctor visits. "Nope. Here, everyone has to work from 7:30 to 4 with a half hour lunch at exact;y 11:30.

If that makes sense.

I've worked places that said you couldn't take a poo poo unless it was break time (assuming you get a work break). This leads to people sacrificing and postponing health treatment - mental or otherwise - because middle management and GM's (who somehow are able to hit the golf course every friday afternoon) have determined that we are all robots, 4th graders and ants. Also, there's no real reason I need to see my psychiatrist for the meds I take except for laws passed that say I do.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Per capita and median calculations by definition factor inequality into the count. Mean or average calculations are subject to outlier skews.

The U.S. has the highest per capita disposable income of any country, even when taking into account taxes and transfers like free/reduced healthcare and education.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/725764/oecd-household-disposable-income-per-capita/

The standard deviation for for distribution in the U.S. is wider than other countries, but the median American has more disposable income than a median citizen of any other country even after accounting for government benefits and taxation.

Your link is locked behind a paywall.

Finding an alternative source for what’s likely the same data, I find these numbers difficult to believe that they take everything into account.

I highly doubt Americans have twice the amount of income to play around with compared to EU members or third more than Canadians.

For example, the majority of Americans can’t afford $1000 emergency. With Canadians that number is less than 40%.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

punk rebel ecks posted:

Finding an alternative source for what’s likely the same data, I find these numbers difficult to believe that they take everything into account.

I highly doubt Americans have twice the amount of income to play around with compared to EU members or third more than Canadians.

For example, the majority of Americans can’t afford $1000 emergency. With Canadians that number is less than 40%.

They do take all transfers into account. It's been true forever. You can find it hard to believe, but it has been true for many years.

The median U.S. citizen doesn't have twice as much disposable income as the average E.U. citizen. Just some countries in the E.U. The median citizen of Latvia, Hungary, and Portugal aren't the median representatives of the E.U. as a whole. You also have to factor in PPP adjustments. In many E.U. countries, you have large amounts of the population living in a single central urban environment with higher costs of living.

~16% of England's population lives in London. For the U.S., the largest city is NYC and only 2.5% of Americans live there.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think our very rich skew those averages but the basics of "Americans have few services but more opportunities to get filthy rich and Europeans have more services but less opportunities to get filthy rich" seem to be backed by the numbers. I'd personally like more services and less chances to get filthy rich.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think our very rich skew those averages but the basics of "Americans have few services but more opportunities to get filthy rich and Europeans have more services but less opportunities to get filthy rich" seem to be backed by the numbers. I'd personally like more services and less chances to get filthy rich.

Our very rich don't skew per capita and median measures.

Mean/Average is not the same as Median.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gumball Gumption posted:

Think again. The US is 27th on the Global Social Mobility index, behind most European nations

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

There's also the thing where if you need to see a shrink, go to rehab type visits or what have you that a LOT of employers will not work with you and any of these types of interruptions in building cogs for them count against you. I have psychiatrist and pain management doctors that I absolutely have to legally see every legally defined period of time or else I cannot refill my medication. And I can't usually pick and choose what times they have available.

oh yah, that pain-management bullshit is another reason people turn to the bottle these days: for pain relief. I think I read a nyt story recently about how even the government realizes that they overstepped on the regulations required now for pain management, such as restricting opioids for people dying of cancer.

and yes: you make a lot of sense about the vagaries of scheduling & trying to balance it with a special-needs child. Good thing the Democratic congressional majority & a Democratic president have now passed 12 weeks of paid parental leave 4 weeks of paid parental leave would you believe... a now-expired increase to the tax credit for parents?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Manager Hoyden posted:

Think again. The US is 27th on the Global Social Mobility index, behind most European nations

Yeah, mobility is actually lower in the U.S. than in Canada or (most) E.U. countries.

The standard deviation of income distribution in the U.S. is wider than those countries.

So, even though the median American has more disposable income than the median E.U. citizen, the absolute poorest 12.5% of U.S. citizens have about equal or even less disposable income than the poorest 12.5% of French citizens; and the richest 12.5% of Americans have significantly more disposable income than the richest 12.5% of French citizens.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

From the last KFF survey about healthcare costs in the U.S.:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Also, this chart for lols since I came across it while looking for the med-cost survey:

This is why I call out liberals when they're ventriloquizing conservatives "not wanting programs for those people."

(I realize that these sentiments were likely colored by the orange cheeto running things at the time.)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BiggerBoat posted:

I have a special needs child that I co-parent with my ex. He has ADHD, mild autism and epilepsy. Now, being a responsible parent, this involves meeting with his teachers, doctors and therapists - in addition to tending to his different schedules depending on where we are on the school year calendar. Younger and parentless goons might be surprised how often this poo poo is used against you.

I have worked places that WILL give you the time, but they have some weird "points system" where missing x amount of time or whatever adds to your total and if you accumulate y amount in 6 months or something, it fucks up your review or whatever and can also get you written up. It's some real 5th grade demerit type poo poo. Say an order is due late Friday afternoon, it's Wednesday and they want you to work overtime but you have to pick up your kid that night. They WON'T allow you to come in early on Thursday and stay late then come in Friday early because everyone has to work 8-5 or whatever it is because we are a machine and treat everyone like robots.

Like, I can't stay late tonight but I can be here at 5am tomorrow and work til 6pm. I HAVE to see my doctor Thursday at 9am but I can stay late that night and come in super early the next day. I can come in every other Saturday when I don't have my kid. Companies say "no one wants to work" but don't understand or accommodate the idea that working on yourself is also work. I have had to turn down several jobs simply because I cannot make it work with my parenting schedule and mandatory doctor visits. "Nope. Here, everyone has to work from 7:30 to 4 with a half hour lunch at exact;y 11:30.

If that makes sense.

I've worked places that said you couldn't take a poo poo unless it was break time (assuming you get a work break). This leads to people sacrificing and postponing health treatment - mental or otherwise - because middle management and GM's (who somehow are able to hit the golf course every friday afternoon) have determined that we are all robots, 4th graders and ants. Also, there's no real reason I need to see my psychiatrist for the meds I take except for laws passed that say I do.

Just FYI, they can't actually hold it against you in your review or penalize you financially for medical appointments under FMLA. Sometimes, you might have to invoke FMLA yourself if your employer doesn't want to let you know about it.

They don't have to pay you for FMLA time, but they can't mark it against you and if there is any perception that they fired you or penalized you for FMLA-eligible time, then they can have major problems. Ongoing maintenance or recurring treatment for a mental or physical illness (addiction is considered a illness) will always be covered under FMLA.

You just can't exceed 12 weeks in a year. And your employer has to be bound by it, so it doesn't apply to small businesses with only a dozen people. I doubt a factory would ever fall under that, though.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Our very rich don't skew per capita and median measures.

Mean/Average is not the same as Median.
I gotcha loud and clear on median but isn’t “per capita” usually a straight expression of total $/population? I think that eg Bezos WOULD add $10 to the per capita disposable income figure.

E: worded up my mixes

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 24, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Just FYI, they can't actually hold it against you in your review or penalize you financially for medical appointments under FMLA. Sometimes, you might have to invoke FMLA yourself if your employer doesn't want to let you know about it.

They don't have to pay you for FMLA time, but they can't mark it against you and if there is any perception that they fired you or penalized you for FMLA-eligible time, then they can have major problems. Ongoing maintenance or recurring treatment for a mental or physical illness (addiction is considered a illness) will always be covered under FMLA.

You just can't exceed 12 weeks in a year. And your employer has to be bound by it, so it doesn't apply to small businesses with only a dozen people. I doubt a factory would ever fall under that, though.

What they can actually do is find every other acceptable excuse to harass you. And often they do.

Many people can't afford to get fired even if they might eventually win a lawsuit about it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mellow Seas posted:

I gotcha loud and clear on median but isn’t “per capita” usually a straight expression of total $/population? I think that eg Bezos WOULD add $10 to the per capita disposable figure income.

Yes, I meant "purchasing power parity" and not per capita. Autocorrect got me.

Edit: My Android phone also wants to autocorrect "PPP" to "FBI" despite there being no common letters in either.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 24, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

punk rebel ecks posted:

The general consensus is that it’s roughly 1/5th to 1/3rd of Americans who can’t afford care at all.

These indicators rarely factor inequality to the mix.

For example the U.S. sits around the mid-teens in Human Development Index (HDI). However, it barely scraps the top 30 when inequality is factored in with the IHDI, as the U.S.’s inequality is closer to that of mid-income developing nation than an OCED one. In fact it barely makes the “very high human development list” and wasn’t even on there the year prior. And this report is two years old at this point so the U.S. has undoubtedly sunk even further.

And even if you can "afford it" you can't really in most cases. I mean, the coverage I have now is pretty good for the doctor visits and prescriptions I take but, like most people, god loving help me when it's time to go to the ER, I get diabetes or need chemo. I keep a .45 handy for when that "coverage" kicks in.

E

Thanks, I'll look into it. But it sounds like one of those things that "they can't do" that they'll just loving do anyway and, also, if I'm up front about this poo poo in an interview or something it can lead to a hard pass right there because it's just too much trouble and complicates the mold they've built.

All these Sales Managers and GM's I've worked for that tell us to knuckle down and stay late for last minute orders and poo poo are always the first ones out the door on a Friday to hit the links or attending to a personal matter for 3 hours during a sunny afternoon.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 24, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Harold Fjord posted:

What they can actually do is find every other acceptable excuse to harass you. And often they do.

Many people can't afford to get fired even if they might eventually win a lawsuit about it.

FMLA is pretty ironclad and there actually aren't that many violations annually. They absolutely can harass you about other "legit" violations, though.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NutShellBill posted:

Hi. Third generation Ukrainian-Canadian here.

Ancestors escaped Stalin's famines.

I am somewhat biased against the genocide of the Ukrainian people.

Just thought context might be appropriate.

The US government doesn't care about genocide at all, and claiming that's why the US is getting involved is obviously not true, so looking suspiciously at what they're upto seems sensible. Not sure how your grandparents being Ukrainian contradicts that point?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

They do take all transfers into account. It's been true forever. You can find it hard to believe, but it has been true for many years.

The median U.S. citizen doesn't have twice as much disposable income as the average E.U. citizen. Just some countries in the E.U. The median citizen of Latvia, Hungary, and Portugal aren't the median representatives of the E.U. as a whole. You also have to factor in PPP adjustments. In many E.U. countries, you have large amounts of the population living in a single central urban environment with higher costs of living.

~16% of England's population lives in London. For the U.S., the largest city is NYC and only 2.5% of Americans live there.
I mean does "disposable income" really matter if people can't afford healthcare, housing, education, and the like where U.S. lags compared to it's Canadian or EU counterparts?

I find there to be a stark contradiction between data saying Americans are living on the edge more than Canadians yet at the same time having more money to throw around.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

some plague rats posted:

The US government doesn't care about genocide at all, and claiming that's why the US is getting involved is obviously not true, so looking suspiciously at what they're upto seems sensible. Not sure how your grandparents being Ukrainian contradicts that point?

I think the US government cares about some genocides, and cares about some genocides more than others. We clearly care about the genocide Putin is trying to enact in Ukraine. We care enough about the genocide the CCP is enacting in Xinjiang enough to make some noise about it, but not enough to do more than that at the moment. We don't care enough about a genocide we have already enacted ourselves, the genocide of the Native Indigenous peoples of North America at our hands, to spend the required resources to ameliorate the legacy of such (although that has started to change a little bit under Biden's ARPA and IIJA!).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

some plague rats posted:

Shocking two things can be bad, and in this case I suspect Russia's actions and intentions are overwhelmingly more bad and suspect than the US's actions in this, and frankly its tiring to pretend otherwise.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean does "disposable income" really matter if people can't afford healthcare, housing, education, and the like where U.S. lags compared to it's Canadian or EU counterparts?

I find there to be a stark contradiction between data saying Americans are living on the edge more than Canadians yet at the same time having more money to throw around.

When it includes transfers for healthcare and education, they are factored in already.

And the U.S. does not lag Canada in affordable housing. Canada's real estate market is currently insane and worse than the U.S.

The average home price in the U.S. is ~$322k USD (~$403,683 Canadian dollars)

The average home price in Canada is ~$748k Canadian dollars (~$596,645 USD)

https://globalnews.ca/news/8620883/...%20CREA%20said.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

How are u posted:

I think the US government cares about some genocides, and cares about some genocides more than others. We clearly care about the genocide Putin is trying to enact in Ukraine. We care enough about the genocide the CCP is enacting in Xinjiang enough to make some noise about it, but not enough to do more than that at the moment. We don't care enough about a genocide we have already enacted ourselves, the genocide of the Native Indigenous peoples of North America at our hands, to spend the required resources to ameliorate the legacy of such (although that has started to change a little bit under Biden's ARPA and IIJA!).

Or the ones our allies currently commit or the ones we are currently committing unless choosing to restrict access to food to intentionally starve and kill a group of people is no longer considered a genocide.

CommieGIR posted:

Shocking two things can be bad, and in this case I suspect Russia's actions and intentions are overwhelmingly more bad and suspect than the US's actions in this, and frankly its tiring to pretend otherwise.

Pointing out that the US doesn't care about genocide and uses it as an excuse to rally sympathy around it's own motives is not saying that you love Russia and don't think they're doing anything and frankly it's tiring to pretend otherwise. Russia is committing a genocide, the US government has no interest in stopping genocides so that can't be their motive here. It might be your motive, it's a good one. You're a good person for not wanting genocide to happen. The US government doesn't care.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 24, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gumball Gumption posted:

Pointing out that the US doesn't care about genocide and uses it as an excuse to rally sympathy around it's own motives is not saying that you love Russia and don't think they're doing anything and frankly it's tiring to pretend otherwise. Russia is committing a genocide, the US government has no interest in stopping germicides so that can't be their motive here. It might be your motive, it's a good one. You're a good person for not wanting genocide to happen. The US government doesn't care.

Okay framed like that, I can agree with that statement. Yes, the US is not likely involved because of Russian genocide against Ukrainians. But preventing it as a side effect is something I can support.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

How are u posted:

putin is trying to enact a genocide in ukraine? first I've heard of it, but it's possible I missed something.

wouldn't put it past him by a long shot, but to my knowledge only one of America and Russia is currently actively engaged in a program of ethnic cleansing at its borders

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

wouldn't put it past him by a long shot, but to my knowledge only one of America and Russia is currently actively engaged in a program of ethnic cleansing at its borders

I've got some bad news for you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

putin is trying to enact a genocide in ukraine? first I've heard of it, but it's possible I missed something.

When Putin says "Denazification" he doesn't mean Azov.

He mean's Ukrainian culture in general.
https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1507037472005443591?s=20&t=i0rHdwLG9pgOLxcPlXF_yw

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Willa Rogers posted:

Also, this chart for lols since I came across it while looking for the med-cost survey:

This is why I call out liberals when they're ventriloquizing conservatives "not wanting programs for those people."

(I realize that these sentiments were likely colored by the orange cheeto running things at the time.)

I realize Medicaid is not Medicare, but you're aware that was at least part of the reason for limiting Medicare to olds right?

Same reason why SS was initially much more limited.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

When it includes transfers for healthcare and education, they are factored in already.

How does it "factor in" when less Americans can afford emergency payments and a third of them aren't getting any type healthcare due to cost?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Not surprising given her views on gays and lesbians, but Tulsi has officially crossed over into TERF territory.

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1506937567337345030

Weirdly, Tucker also announced that he considers himself a TERF (although he didn't use the word) because his main problem with trans rights are that it is anti-science and that opportunities for women are being erased by "men" taking their spots in sports, jobs, and politics; and he wants to promote women in those roles.

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1506783469581578241

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 24, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
That's interesting because when I try to talk science with TERFs they don't want to talk science.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

When Putin says "Denazification" he doesn't mean Azov.

He mean's Ukrainian culture in general.
https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1507037472005443591?s=20&t=i0rHdwLG9pgOLxcPlXF_yw

...you say this, and then when you click through to the Facebook (?) link, the actual crime russian soldiers stand accused of is removing schoolbooks about Great Hero Bandera, which makes me raise an eyebrow.

the Russian invasion is a tremendous number of extremely terrible things. Saddam was not throwing Kuwaiti children out of incubators, Fallujah was not an entire city willing to fight Americans to the death, and as yet, it does not look like our geopolitical rival's goal is genocide.

traditionally the American people really enjoy gassing themselves up by saying so though

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

In addition to the start of overt action we've been seeing, Putin's been troublingly vocal (most notably in The Rant that had some people on the fence about Russian invasion go "well balls guess it's happening") about buying into a pretty unpleasant far right narrative on Ukraine.

- Ukraine isn't a real country, it's part of Russia
- Ukrainian isn't a real language, it's a Russian dialect
- Ukrainians aren't a real culture, they're confused Russians
- We need to abolish these fake delineations and bring them back into the loving embrace of their real country
- They've also been brainwashed by decadent westernness so we should do something about that too

In the event of a total Russian victory, he's not going to wipe out Ukrainians en masse unless they could be described as dissidents or journalists. A dedicated campaign of Russification by a far right occupying power is still, you inow, bad.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

I realize Medicaid is not Medicare, but you're aware that was at least part of the reason for limiting Medicare to olds right?

Same reason why SS was initially much more limited.

I meant liberals who say that single-payer will never ever happen bc those guys over there don't want people of color to get it, when liberals themselves are the emperors of means-testing and other gate-keeping that ends up hurting people of color. (See KFF charts above about who's impacted the most when it comes to medical costs.)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I uhh...I don't even know what to say about this one.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/24/politics/trump-sues-hillary-clinton/index.html

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

punk rebel ecks posted:

How does it "factor in" when less Americans can afford emergency payments and a third of them aren't getting any type healthcare due to cost?

Because when you are measuring outlays and payments and include transfers for education and health, then you are factoring in taxes and monetary transfers.

Very simplified example:

Two people make 50k.

Person A pays 10k in taxes and pays 3k for medical care.

That is a net negative of 13k from your gross income and Person A has 37k in disposable income.

Person B pays 20k in taxes and receives 5k in in-kind contributions for healthcare from the government.

That is a net negative of 15k from your gross income and Person B has 35k in disposable income.

You're also confusing self-reported survey data with actual data from bank accounts and expenditures.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

GreyjoyBastard posted:

In addition to the start of overt action we've been seeing, Putin's been troublingly vocal (most notably in The Rant that had some people on the fence about Russian invasion go "well balls guess it's happening") about buying into a pretty unpleasant far right narrative on Ukraine.

- We need to abolish these fake delineations and bring them back into the loving embrace of their real country
- They've also been brainwashed by decadent westernness so we should do something about that too

In the event of a total Russian victory, he's not going to wipe out Ukrainians en masse unless they could be described as dissidents or journalists. A dedicated campaign of Russification by a far right occupying power is still, you inow, bad.

Indeed, it is genocide. Same thing as putting Native Americans in boarding schools to erase their culture, language, community, and identity.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

no argument here, I'm just having a hard time putting it higher on the ol' genocideometer than 'these vermin are a plague risk and as such must be purged from our borders, by men on horseback with whips if necessary,' which I have been assured rather than genocide is just a Pragmatic Compromise To Get Things Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

...you say this, and then when you click through to the Facebook (?) link, the actual crime russian soldiers stand accused of is removing schoolbooks about Great Hero Bandera, which makes me raise an eyebrow.

the Russian invasion is a tremendous number of extremely terrible things. Saddam was not throwing Kuwaiti children out of incubators, Fallujah was not an entire city willing to fight Americans to the death, and as yet, it does not look like our geopolitical rival's goal is genocide.

traditionally the American people really enjoy gassing themselves up by saying so though

Putin is pretty clear on what he thinks about genocide and Ukraine. He doesn't think Ukraine is a real country or real people and that the destruction of the false Ukrainian identity is necessary to free the confused or persecuted Russians in Ukraine who yearn to return the territory to the motherland. That is pretty genocide 101.

quote:

Genocide: Killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that nation or group

This is his actual official Kremlin translation and a PR release from the Kremlin Wire Service:

quote:

Russia is restoring its unity – the tragedy of 1991, this terrible catastrophe in our history, its unnatural dislocation, has been overcome. Yes, at a great cost, yes, through the tragic events of a virtual civil war, because now brothers, separated by belonging to the Russian and Ukrainian armies, are still shooting at each other, but there will be no more Ukraine as anti-Russia. Russia is restoring its historical fullness, gathering the Russian world, the Russian people together – in its entirety of Great Russians, Belarusians and Little Russians. If we had abandoned this, if we had allowed the temporary division to take hold for centuries, then we would not only betray the memory of our ancestors, but would also be cursed by our descendants for allowing the disintegration of the Russian land.

quote:

But the fact is that the situation in Ukraine today is completely different because it involves a forced change of identity. And the most despicable thing is that the Russians in Ukraine are being forced not only to deny their roots, generations of their ancestors but also to believe that Russia is their enemy. It would not be an exaggeration to say that the path of forced assimilation, the formation of an ethnically pure Ukrainian state, aggressive towards Russia, is comparable in its consequences to the use of weapons of mass destruction against us. As a result of such a harsh and artificial division of Russians and Ukrainians, the Russian people in all may decrease by hundreds of thousands or even millions.

Our spiritual unity has also been attacked. As in the days of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, a new ecclesiastical has been initiated. The secular authorities, making no secret of their political aims, have blatantly interfered in church life and brought things to a split, to the seizure of churches, the beating of priests and monks. Even extensive autonomy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church while maintaining spiritual unity with the Moscow Patriarchate strongly displeases them. They have to destroy this prominent and centuries-old symbol of our kinship at all costs.

quote:

I am confident that true sovereignty of Ukraine is possible only in partnership with Russia. Our spiritual, human and civilizational ties formed for centuries and have their origins in the same sources, they have been hardened by common trials, achievements and victories. Our kinship has been transmitted from generation to generation. It is in the hearts and the memory of people living in modern Russia and Ukraine, in the blood ties that unite millions of our families. Together we have always been and will be many times stronger and more successful. For we are one people.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220224002106/http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/66181
https://thefrontierpost.com/the-new-world-order/