Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If you pre-registered for the Octopath Traveler: Champions Of The Continent Closed Beta, it's now available to download.

Servers won't open until 3/23/22 at 01:00 UTC (tonight at 9:00/8:00/7:00/6:00 PM E/C/M/P timezones)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Is it just me or did they drastically reduce the output of those Google Rewards weekly bonus points? I just got +2. I've gotten+200 before.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

New Leaf posted:

Is it just me or did they drastically reduce the output of those Google Rewards weekly bonus points? I just got +2. I've gotten+200 before.

I've only ever gotten between 3 and 5.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just discovered yesterday that those can be traded in for credit and not just lovely f2p game extras. I feel like I've bought a lot of games since they introduced that system but had exactly 400 points saved up which equates to $4. I guess it's something!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Did they change something with Google Survey Rewards bucks? Or are you talking about something different?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Trastion posted:

Did they change something with Google Survey Rewards bucks? Or are you talking about something different?

Something different, you get google play points or something when you buy stuff on the store that you can exchange for stuff. If you click your profile picture in the play store then open the play points thing on that menu you should be able to see what you have and can exchange for

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kheldarn posted:

If you pre-registered for the Octopath Traveler: Champions Of The Continent Closed Beta, it's now available to download.

Servers won't open until 3/23/22 at 01:00 UTC (tonight at 9:00/8:00/7:00/6:00 PM E/C/M/P timezones)

Figures this comes out and I don't have an Android device available. :negative:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

is the octopath game a gacha or what

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Go RV! posted:

is the octopath game a gacha or what

Search your heart

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Picked up "Technopoly – Industrial Empire" recently and am enjoying it? I say with a confused tone.

It's a fine number go up and resource balancing game, with the very important bridges being the once or twice a day login reward.
Very planned around feeding you as many ads as possible, and my pihole means I can't get any of the boosts from ads which is more than a bit annoying.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So after spending a good chunk of time playing the Octopath Traveler Champions Of The Continent Beta, there was something very familiar about it.

It's Another Eden themed to Octopath. It's not 100% the same, but it's very clear that they took the engine for Another Eden and modified it.

It feels very Octopath Traveler, and I enjoy it. I plan to play it when it launches in a few months.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

So after spending a good chunk of time playing the Octopath Traveler Champions Of The Continent Beta, there was something very familiar about it.

It's Another Eden themed to Octopath. It's not 100% the same, but it's very clear that they took the engine for Another Eden and modified it.

It feels very Octopath Traveler, and I enjoy it. I plan to play it when it launches in a few months.

Please tell me this doesn't include the 5m mandatory data checking at every start up

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cerepol posted:

Please tell me this doesn't include the 5m mandatory data checking at every start up

What you don't love taking an hour or more for AE to check and then download a <100MB update? :shepface:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

tater_salad posted:

I'll fire this up, I liked it over trains since it's not as line based etc.
Friend: 21v2h if anyone wants to join up and umm. do wahtaever the bonuses for friends are

Sure. I'm 21WWK.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cerepol posted:

It says Downloading when I start the app, but it doesn't seem to take much longer to do that and then load into gameplay than other games I've played. I don't know if it's just downloading stuff because of the beta (there have been some issues and fixes), or if it's doing like Another Eden did, but for now, I find it tolerable.

Edit
Just launched it, and timed things. Here's the results I got:

Launch > Squeenix Logo: 21 seconds
Squeenix Logo > Tap To Start: 15 seconds
Tapping To Start > Now Loading: 31 seconds
Now Loading > Loaded and ready to play: 16 seconds
Total time from Launch to Play: 1:23

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 24, 2022

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Can anyone recommend a good android emulator? I basically just want to listen to audio books on my computer, but the app I use only has a mobile app, so I figured I could just emulate android on my computer and run it from there. I'd rather do something simpler than using a virtual machine I make myself, but the ones out there like Nox and Bluestacks give big "will install bloatware on my computer" vibes.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

tildes posted:

Can anyone recommend a good android emulator? I basically just want to listen to audio books on my computer, but the app I use only has a mobile app, so I figured I could just emulate android on my computer and run it from there. I'd rather do something simpler than using a virtual machine I make myself, but the ones out there like Nox and Bluestacks give big "will install bloatware on my computer" vibes.

If you have Windows 11, you can use the Windows Subsystem for Android. I have not tried it myself but I think you gotta sideload apks as you can't run the Play Store. (wouldn't' be surprised if someone eventually makes that work though)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

tildes posted:

Bluestacks has big sleazy marketing-guy vibes but it doesn't do any malware stuff or touch the rest of your computer. It just makes money by advertising lots of predatory pay-to-win mobile games on your "phone's" home screen inside the emulator.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Bluestacks has big sleazy marketing-guy vibes but it doesn't do any malware stuff or touch the rest of your computer. It just makes money by advertising lots of predatory pay-to-win mobile games on your "phone's" home screen inside the emulator.

There's a way to disable the auto-installation of apps but yeah Bluestacks and Nox are the shadiest feeling things I've ever willingly installed on a computer.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

What about LDPlayer?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Unperson_47 posted:

There's a way to disable the auto-installation of apps but yeah Bluestacks and Nox are the shadiest feeling things I've ever willingly installed on a computer.

It's never autoinstalled anything for me, it just has a bunch of ad icons on the home screen. If you click these it'll take you to the play store to download them the normal way:

e: speaking about Bluestacks, I haven't tried Nox

Kheldarn posted:

What about LDPlayer?

Pretty sure all of the android emulators on pc are very corporate ad-riddled things.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 24, 2022

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

If you're on Windows 11, there's native Android emulation built in now

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's never autoinstalled anything for me, it just has a bunch of ad icons on the home screen. If you click these it'll take you to the play store to download them the normal way:

I mainly used Nox and I remember it auto-installing apps. Maybe I'm misremembering but I'm pretty sure. I have not used it in about a year.

edit: Read up on it and looks you were right and I was wrong. They only ever added shortcuts to install the apps as you stated. That's more restraint than I was expecting or assumed. Even Microsoft had auto-installing Solitaire and Candy Crush and other poo poo in Windows 10.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 25, 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Does BlueStacks (or any of the other emulators marketed at gaming) do anything more than "package up the android dev emulator to make it idiot-proof then add a bunch of ads"?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Jabor posted:

Does BlueStacks (or any of the other emulators marketed at gaming) do anything more than "package up the android dev emulator to make it idiot-proof then add a bunch of ads"?

They can map gamepad or mouse and keyboards to touch inputs. I played PUBG using PhoenixOS for a little while this way.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Jabor posted:

Well for one the android dev emulator runs like rear end for various reasons.

BlueStacks and co actually run modified VirtualBox instances.
And like Unperson said there's control mapping, plus integration with the host system (a shared folder usually), multi-instance stuff, macros, etc.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

eeenmachine posted:

It was originally published on Android through a publisher (mobage) who removed it off the store after a few years. We also had to stop updating our iOS version because the code base was so old and couldn't support 64 bit without a ton of work so we ported the game to Unity to bring it back to Android and be able to update it again on iOS.

It seems to have the most passionate fanbase of our games for whatever that is worth. I don't know if it is just rose colored glasses or what but we haven't been able to post anything on social media for the last few years without getting spammed by former Android Pocket Planes players.

Thanks for putting this out again, this was one of my favorite android games. Been playing it for a bit now and I don't think it's just rose colored glasses.
It fills the same niche as an idle game, but I much prefer this. I feel relaxed playing it without trying to find the mathematically "correct" way to play.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Started to play Dicey Elementalist that I found through an ad on another game.

Seems to be fun so far and I haven't gotten a single ad or anything yet in 20 minutes or so of playing.

There is a tutorial to walk you through some of the basics but the gameplay is pretty easy. It is Randomness via Dice but you can lock/unlock dice for each roll and you get better spells and stuff to help you fight better.

edit: Ok there are ads but so far ONLY when you fail a fight and want to try again. You can always choose to not try again but it ends the adventure.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 25, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think this came up a while ago ITT I think but I'm only now getting around to trying CLICKPOCALYPSE 2, which is an ironic name because while it is an idle game there's not much clicking involved as far as I can tell! Anyway this game's pretty fun. I'm not sure how much "depth" there is to it but I've been enjoying watching my dudes clearing dungeons while occasionally equipping upgrades. I wish there wasn't an entire menu for ad supported boosts you can apply though. Feels like I'm hamstringing myself by not going for those buffs but I don't want to watch like 8 ads in a row every now and then.

Edit: This game's got a weird/nice? feature where if you take too long to clear a room a button appears that says 'pity' which basically acts like a free super powerful spell you can spam to clear the room out. I think it's only in situations where there's essentially a stalemate because as far as I can tell there's no way to tell your party to go grind and come back, but it's just weird to get a button to spam that appears relatively quickly and instakills everything with no downside.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 25, 2022

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
If the game gave me 3 extra gold each round I still don't think I could get 10 wins in the expansion pack side of Super Auto Pets. I think I'm doing good the first four rounds and then run into full melon armor giant pets, or even worse lose by exactly 1 HP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jabor posted:

Nox also sends a bunch of usage data to some server it has in Russia(?) or did when I last used it, if that counts. Bluestacks always ran terribly for me but if it works better now and doesn't have a bunch of trackers and bloatware in it that's good to hear.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I can't guarantee it to be absolutely safe, but last time I needed an Android emulator, I used Mumu and it worked quite well. It's Chinese, but at least it's from a big company (Netease), so the likelihood of it being pure malware is perhaps lower.
https://www.mumuglobal.com/

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Thank you for tips! Didn’t realize windows 11 had a built in way to do android, I’ll try that and if not maybe blue stacks next!

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Trastion posted:

Started to play Dicey Elementalist that I found through an ad on another game.

Seems to be fun so far and I haven't gotten a single ad or anything yet in 20 minutes or so of playing.

There is a tutorial to walk you through some of the basics but the gameplay is pretty easy. It is Randomness via Dice but you can lock/unlock dice for each roll and you get better spells and stuff to help you fight better.

edit: Ok there are ads but so far ONLY when you fail a fight and want to try again. You can always choose to not try again but it ends the adventure.

This is quite charming, thanks for the tip!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a good match 3 game that's like... not freemium? the closest i can think of is you must build a boat which is excellent but there's only so many times i can play it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I would pay full price for Bejeweled 3, the exact PC version, to be on mobile.

To me, that's the pinnacle of match 3 that doesn't involve some overarching fantasy story or plot. It's got amazingly addictive modes that mix stuff up enough and I wish that Popcap would surprise us all with, like, Bejeweled 4 or something that has all that and more.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Honestly authentic remakes to all the old popcap stuff would be gold.

Id love a new PvZ and Peggle.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I would pay full price for Bejeweled 3, the exact PC version, to be on mobile.

Isn't Bejeweled Classic pretty close?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BoldFace posted:

Isn't Bejeweled Classic pretty close?

Oh my. I wasn't aware of this.

Is it f2p bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Apparently dicey dungeons is in beta. Looks like it's full but hopefully that means we'll see a release soon!