Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I'm gonna chime in with my very important opinion that everyone cares about, just for discussion's sake

Not only do I NOT own a webcam or microphone (besides the ones that come default with the iphone or macbook, for instance), I do NOT want cameras or microphones inside my home, and I actively prefer electronics that don't have them. It's the reason I haven't bought a new TV since 2013, all the new ones seem to have telemetry, why I never bought an Apple Speaker, don't use Siri, and I've had trouble finding a dumb monitor that is also a small size to fit my desk (about 23")

I know it's all :tinfoil:, it's not that I believe I'm important enough to be spied on, but that I understand mistakes(mine or some random programmer's) can happen and I don't want my butthole on the internet because I activated some command or someone figured out my password.

I'm already pretty uncomfortable with my iphone and suspicious ads showing up after discussing something with my friends (might be their phones, or ???)

And it's also a part of the modern world that disgusts me, to be completely honest

I don’t understand. If you don’t have any webcam then why would you be showing your butthole to your computer monitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Can someone recommend a good USB hub for this new M1 Mac Mini I just got?

Something like one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Type...aps%2C90&sr=8-3

But there are so many different sellers I'm not sure which one is worth it? Just looking to add some more USB ports and the ability to throw more storage at my M1.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So, if anyone bought the new Apple Studio Display, Apple has just released a firmware update for it..

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213110

Apple posted:

Studio Display Firmware Update 15.4

Adds support for Boot Camp on Intel-based Mac computers

Minor stability improvements

Don't know if it fixes the horrible camera quality or not.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

So I went to Costco to be a heretic and get a monitor. Came to find that all of their monitors are stripped down models with no USB C ports. HDMI or DP only (yes, yes, pin compatible yada yada). But seriously, a 35" widescreen with only two HDMI ports? gently caress that bullshit.

Back to RTINGS I go....

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ultimate Mango posted:

So I went to Costco to be a heretic and get a monitor. Came to find that all of their monitors are stripped down models with no USB C ports. HDMI or DP only (yes, yes, pin compatible yada yada). But seriously, a 35" widescreen with only two HDMI ports? gently caress that bullshit.

Back to RTINGS I go....

not surprising really

but

how many things you connecting to that monitor at a time

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Back to RTINGS I go....

just get whatever Dell fits your needs

they got their 20% off semi-annual sale going right now

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

mediaphage posted:

not surprising really

but

how many things you connecting to that monitor at a time

i would pay $2k for an unimpressive 5 year old panel in a monitor if it had 4 displayport inputs and a convenient way to switch between them

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

mattfl posted:

Can someone recommend a good USB hub for this new M1 Mac Mini I just got?

Something like one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Type...aps%2C90&sr=8-3

But there are so many different sellers I'm not sure which one is worth it? Just looking to add some more USB ports and the ability to throw more storage at my M1.

I do like the look of those but apparently they can block the bluetooth/wi-fi antenna on the bottom of the Mac. In any case I've been using this for a few weeks with various hard disks and SSDs, a webcam and a microphone and it's been absolutely rock solid:

https://basic-tutorials.com/reviews/peripherals/corsair-usb100/

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I'm already pretty uncomfortable with my iphone and suspicious ads showing up after discussing something with my friends (might be their phones, or ???)

Good news is it's not phones listening or watching you. Bad news is that it's remarkably trivial to do the same stuff without needing to do that.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

just get whatever Dell fits your needs

they got their 20% off semi-annual sale going right now

The monitor rabbit hole is deep indeed. Rtings also likes the 32” 4K Gigabyte. Might be good for the studio. But it’s too tall for my secondary monitor spot. So maybe the magical dell ultrawide that is under 21” tall. The LGs with height adjustable stands seem to squeeze that low.

I’ve had iMacs for so long I had no idea what’s been happening in the world of monitors and now I need an advil and some scotch.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

people talking like there weren’t tons of people doing this kind of work for school or business or personal reasons on loving iMacs and dual-core MBPs, and just struggling through it, killing hours of time if need be.
I did NTSC MJPEG back in the day on like single-core Pentium MMX machines and just waiting on the most basic stuff to render, ugh.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Ultimate Mango posted:

The monitor rabbit hole is deep indeed. Rtings also likes the 32” 4K Gigabyte. Might be good for the studio. But it’s too tall for my secondary monitor spot. So maybe the magical dell ultrawide that is under 21” tall. The LGs with height adjustable stands seem to squeeze that low.

I’ve had iMacs for so long I had no idea what’s been happening in the world of monitors and now I need an advil and some scotch.

i have the 32" 4K gigabyte, its extremely needs suiting, especially after the firmware update that you need windows to install

i also highly recommend getting monitor arms, they're great, i can move these monitors around anywhere i want

edit: it does occasionally restart for like, no reason though? idk

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

Basically no one went up to Apple levels of screen density for the desktop (~220 dpi), instead almost everything else seems to be capped at 4K screens around 160 ppi, but pushing stuff like refresh rate or HDR and such.

Many ultra wides are arguably kinda pointless these days cause they're usually just chopped down 4K or 1440p screens. Some of the exceptions are "5K2K" ones (...which is chopped down 5K) or the few remaining 3440x1440 ones which give some extra width vs the usual standard resolutions. There's also huge double wide ones, but resolution/density tends to be crappy. Like the Dell 49" one is 5120x1440, cause it's basically two 2560x1440 displays.

But yeah whatever the hell you get, just remember that monitor arms are awesome.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/rqnHYZUeV-I

CodeWeavers says they’re aiming for Dx12 in CrossOver 23 :getin:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone else have an issue with bluetooth being disabled when computer wakes up from sleep? I'm using a 16" M1 Pro MBP running 12.3 and most (but frustratingly not all of the time) bluetooth is straight up disabled and I have to go enable it on the menu bar before I can use my mouse/keyboard.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

anothergod posted:

Did anyone in this thread actually pony up $1600 for the Studio Display?

Edit: when I used the phrase "actually pony up" I meant "did you trade money for goods" as opposed to "did you think about it"

*raises hand*

I have more money than sense, and I _really, really_ like how macos looks at 5K on a 27" display. I have a Very Good 4K 27" monitor that I had both my Mac and my Windows rig hooked up to and liked that "fine enough", but I knew the minute Apple released a decent 5K monitor (and it is beyond decent) I was buying it.

This will trigger OK Cornboomer or whoever the gently caress, but the stand alone, I've reclaimed like 2 sq ft. of usable desk space from the weird insanely wide big plastic tripod the other monitor uses. I like that. The screen is nicer for 99% of what I use it for which is: staring at text.

The 4K/144hz monitor is now on a side desk with just the Windows machine hooked up to it, and it's great for what I use that machine for (gaming, nothing else).

I'm happy with the split solution. My main work desk is all Apple poo poo that "just works" together quite well, with a minimalist look to it all and I've vastly reduced the cabling nonsense needed to make that desk work (replaced an MBP with a Mac Studio as well, so what cabling there is is easily tucked or hidable).

Yes, it is an expensive-assed solution, but the 4K 27" ASUS ROG wasn't exactly cheap, either, and I will spend money to make minor annoyances in my workflow and lifestyle go away. I'm too old to deal with that poo poo anymore.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

smr posted:

*raises hand*

I have more money than sense, and I _really, really_ like how macos looks at 5K on a 27" display. I have a Very Good 4K 27" monitor that I had both my Mac and my Windows rig hooked up to and liked that "fine enough", but I knew the minute Apple released a decent 5K monitor (and it is beyond decent) I was buying it.

This will trigger OK Cornboomer or whoever the gently caress, but the stand alone, I've reclaimed like 2 sq ft. of usable desk space from the weird insanely wide big plastic tripod the other monitor uses. I like that. The screen is nicer for 99% of what I use it for which is: staring at text.

The 4K/144hz monitor is now on a side desk with just the Windows machine hooked up to it, and it's great for what I use that machine for (gaming, nothing else).

I'm happy with the split solution. My main work desk is all Apple poo poo that "just works" together quite well, with a minimalist look to it all and I've vastly reduced the cabling nonsense needed to make that desk work (replaced an MBP with a Mac Studio as well, so what cabling there is is easily tucked or hidable).

Yes, it is an expensive-assed solution, but the 4K 27" ASUS ROG wasn't exactly cheap, either, and I will spend money to make minor annoyances in my workflow and lifestyle go away. I'm too old to deal with that poo poo anymore.

Also, the webcam isn't great, but it's beyond adequate for my co-workers to stare at my stupid mug on zooms. I like not having a thing stuck on the top of the monitor with a cable dragging behind it, and I'm reasonably confident Apple will fix the issues, which, again, do not prevent using it already today. Annoying, but also: whatevs.

I do not use the speakers as this is also my audio production rig and it outputs to two studio monitors that are like little kisses on my eardrums.

Wheres Wallace
May 5, 2009

:) keep on keepin' on :)

smr posted:

and I will spend money to make minor annoyances in my workflow and lifestyle go away. I'm too old to deal with that poo poo anymore.

this is why i will irrationally spend more for an older intel-based 5K imac all-in-one editing machine than save with the latest, M1 mac mini that requires cabling solutions and a surge protector for all the peripherals.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Wheres Wallace posted:

this is why i will irrationally spend more for an older intel-based 5K imac all-in-one editing machine than save with the latest, M1 mac mini that requires cabling solutions and a surge protector for all the peripherals.

I had the 5K Intel iMac and even an M1 Mini VASTLY outperformed that thing. And I have a coupla ipadOS apps I like to run on the Mac, which is not possible on the Intel ones.

That said, I dearly loved that machine, it was a great AIO computer and did provide the neatest possible desktop experience. I tried the M1 iMac and it was lovely but the screen was too small so back it went.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

sleepwalkers posted:

Good news is it's not phones listening or watching you. Bad news is that it's remarkably trivial to do the same stuff without needing to do that.

To elaborate on this for anyone wondering, the key thing is that a ton of sites all feed marketing info to each other and/or use embedded trackers (like Facebook/Twitter scripts), and this combined with the geolocation info that's constantly supplied by people leaving Facebook/Google location tracking on all the time makes it easy for those companies to then cross-reference people who are physically near each other and use that for marketing.

On the upside, it's pretty easy to avoid this with iOS. Just turn off "always on" location sharing, turn on all the privacy settings, and add a good adblocker extension and you've already covered 99% of it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just want to reiterate that for all of the features apple has added to their machines over the years, sidecar is the first one that has really floored me. For the most part Macs and PCs have the same basic feature set. Yeah I can unlock my MBP with my watch, but I can also unlock my Surface Pro with my face. A horse a piece.

But sidecar is pretty much unrivaled.

I’m trying to teach myself davinci Resolve, being a lifelong Premiere Pro user who hates adobe and their licensing structure. I was watching the tutorial videos on the davinci website and following along by alt-tabbing between Resolve and Safari, when I realized I had my iPad right next to me. I kicked the safari window over to the iPad and worked in Resolve on the MBP screen.

It’s such a simple, kind of dumb little thing, but having a second (wireless!) monitor everywhere is so, SO good.

Sorry for going on a about it but sidecar is one of those things that when I learned about it I went “huh, neat” and it’s since become a thing I can’t live without.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

as far as the 8gb thing for like a year my mba 8gb was my main computer and i had like my daw, final cut, pixelmator, safari with lots of tabs etc open all the time. it runs great as long as memory pressure is in the yellow on activity monitor, then it gets into the red and like the whole thing tanks. but that almost never happened. powerful computer

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Ultimate Mango posted:

Back to RTINGS I go....

Costco has a great TV selection and terrible monitor selection.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

just type “Dell UltraSharp” “4K” and “USB C” into Google and make sure it’s recent

the one I linked during my entirely justified meltdown the other day is the newest, supposedly much improved/higher end version of the display I got last year which has been pretty great so far. It came out in Feb.

last I checked the one I got is still available (p2721q) for like $400 and it’s excellent at that price IMO. I paid $900 for two of them last year and I’ve been satisfied

I’ve never had a good or fruitful time monitor shopping at Costco

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I have this 27" Dell 4K and it's great

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/ultrasharp-27-4k-usb-c-monitor-u2720q/apd/210-avjv/monitors-monitor-accessories

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

smr posted:

This is basically what I do. 27" 5K LG Ultrafine hooked up to my MacBook next to a 27" LG 144Hz 1440p monitor hooked up to my Windows PC which like yours is used only for gaming. Works great.

If the Studio Display was available when I bought the Ultrafine back in 2020 I'd have paid the extra and bought it instead because the LG's casing is cheap garbage and the webcam isn't really very good.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
My theory is the Studio Display and Mac Studio just exist so they can significantly undercut that combo with a new 27" 5k iMac and say "see you're going to buy a new display from us every time you need a new desktop and you're going to like it."

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Mercurius posted:

This is basically what I do. 27" 5K LG Ultrafine hooked up to my MacBook next to a 27" LG 144Hz 1440p monitor hooked up to my Windows PC which like yours is used only for gaming. Works great.

If the Studio Display was available when I bought the Ultrafine back in 2020 I'd have paid the extra and bought it instead because the LG's casing is cheap garbage and the webcam isn't really very good.

Just a FYI, you can connect the 5K LG display to a Windows machine also. Just need a bidirectional cable. Has some caveats but this is how I use it in a pinch.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081VK7Q94/?coliid=I127A5KEGWNN79&colid=2SUF4SG159G0L&psc=1

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 25, 2022

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Still want a nice 24" (or even 22") 4K monitor. 24 is the right size for my desk, I get weirded out by people talking like 24 is nothing and "obviously" they're going to eventually move past it.
I think I settled on finding one of the Dell 24" ones, maybe gently used.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

BlackMK4 posted:

Just a FYI, you can connect the 5K LG display to a Windows machine also. Just need a bidirectional cable. Has some caveats but this is how I use it in a pinch.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081VK7Q94/?coliid=I127A5KEGWNN79&colid=2SUF4SG159G0L&psc=1
I’m sure you can, but why? I actively don’t want to be using Windows for anything other than games and I don’t really need more than one monitor for games.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

zachol posted:

Still want a nice 24" (or even 22") 4K monitor. 24 is the right size for my desk, I get weirded out by people talking like 24 is nothing and "obviously" they're going to eventually move past it.
I think I settled on finding one of the Dell 24" ones, maybe gently used.

Apple has an iMac for you

Edit: and apparently they want you to use the LG UltraFine 4K if you’d like to expand it

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 26, 2022

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

smr posted:

*raises hand*

Have you noticed any of the poor response time/smearing that people reported on the MacBook Pro screen? Have you tried doing anything fast paced on it, like playing a game?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

anothergod posted:

Did anyone in this thread actually pony up $1600 for the Studio Display?

Edit: when I used the phrase "actually pony up" I meant "did you trade money for goods" as opposed to "did you think about it"

Yeah I grabbed a couple. They're quite nice. Unfortunately the Mac Studio doesn't arrive for another couple weeks. If you want a 5k display, they're great.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

There's something very appropriate about pairing Bose speakers with the display

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Owning Bose speakers is never appropriate.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Splinter posted:

My theory is the Studio Display and Mac Studio just exist so they can significantly undercut that combo with a new 27" 5k iMac and say "see you're going to buy a new display from us every time you need a new desktop and you're going to like it."
I assume they figured out that some people wanted a separate computer and display, and would gladly pay more for the combo. The 5K iMac has been too good a deal all these years.

(Also it’s something they can sell to the main chunk of Mac users that have a notebook)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Owning Bose speakers is never appropriate.

Yeast already showed what kind of consumer they are

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm waiting for them to die to replace them. 12 years so far.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeast already showed what kind of consumer they are

Yeast is a person of culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeast is a person of culture.

and the Apple Studio 5K Display is the Bose speakers of computer monitors