Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bugsy posted:

Yep that was about ACA.

Thomas also should have recused himself on this one too.
https://twitter.com/JaneMayerNYer/status/1507118729154420739

Can there be any consequences for either Thomas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ershalim posted:

Sometimes harm reduction requires some harm to be done, in lieu of a perfect option.
A friendly reminder that harm reduction does not mean this and harm reduction is really, really, really good policy. Harm reduction is a framework of policies that avoid draconian rules or absolute measures against unsafe behaviors by creating ways for people to more safely take part in these activities. Ideally no minors should have sex, but you make condoms available. Ideally nobody should do heroin, but you make needle exchange programs. Ideally a young parent shouldn't just abandon her child in the middle of the night, but you allow them to safely anonymously drop their kid off at a hospital or fire department if they're at the end of her rope. And so on.

I get why people say harm reduction for electoral choices or global conflicts because it's a very literal use of the word. But specifically with global conflicts, anything can be described as harm reduction short of just killing every single Russian citizen because war can always be worse. So, the term becomes meaningless.

It just frustrates me because we're throwing a good, progressive policy framework under the bus and making a phrase toxic. Hell, one of the big critiques people have fairly had around here is that Biden didn't pursue harm reduction polices in conjunction with his vaccine push.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

The consequences are Clarence Thomas being in the hospital with some rare Covid strain that sprung from the social milieu she runs in.

Beyond that? Hahaha no my friend, what country do you think you are in?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

selec posted:

The consequences are Clarence Thomas being in the hospital with some rare Covid strain that sprung from the social milieu she runs in.

Beyond that? Hahaha no my friend, what country do you think you are in?

Ah, right, I forgot about the first part. At least there's that. :v:

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

GreyjoyBastard posted:

what i'm saying is, this is a man who when presented with "but if we followed your principles your marriage would have been illegal" responds with "yeah, so?"

Wait, what? Someone said this to him and that's how he responded? Do you have a link?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Meatball posted:

Wait, what? Someone said this to him and that's how he responded? Do you have a link?

He is on the record as thinking Loving v. Virginia was wrongly decided.

Edit: and if you know anything about his jurisprudence this is not remotely surprising

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Yes. Biden and the democrats can recognize that the Supreme Court is illegitimate and ignore all rulings until the Supreme Court is fixed.

To continue to believe in the legitimacy of the Supreme Court is to be complacent with (and I would argue even support) the recent rulings.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yes. Biden and the democrats can recognize that the Supreme Court is illegitimate and ignore all rulings until the Supreme Court is fixed.

To continue to believe in the legitimacy of the Supreme Court is to be complacent with (and I would argue even support) the recent rulings.

selec posted:

Hahaha no my friend, what country do you think you are in?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
THe problem is that the Democrats actually follow the rules and laws even if it hurts them, while the republicans have realized that laws are more of...you know...guidelines to power.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think VBC is correctly describing what is theoretically tenable in our current system if the Democrats were anything but controlled opposition. We can wait and see what actually happens and I agree with selec's take there that it is unlikely anything substantial will.

If Biden did that I do think it would work I think Republicans would raise holy hell and everyone left or liberal would laugh in their face. I just really don't think the Democratic party has it in them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
So far, only 2 Republicans haven't totally ruled out voting to confirm KBJ.

She will probably break the record for closest confirmation vote in history and possibly be the first to require the Vice President to vote.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1507365517065179137

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Harold Fjord posted:

I think VBC is correctly describing what is theoretically tenable in our current system if the Democrats were anything but controlled opposition. We can wait and see what actually happens and I agree with selec's take there that it is unlikely anything substantial will.

If Biden did that I do think it would work I think Republicans would raise holy hell and everyone left or liberal would laugh in their face. I just really don't think the Democratic party has it in them.

Yeah, bottom line is unless Democrats start wielding power effectively they're just fighting a war of attrition until they lose for good. Which is irresponsible foolishness or their goal for underdog fundraising depending on how cynical your view of them is. In either case there is no point in investing time, money, or effort in supporting the party.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Any noises from, e.g. Romney about how he could possibly, you know what never mind. I don't even care what their bullshit sounds like anymore.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/statuscoup/status/1506365122540978176?s=21&t=MO4NZJyqzHlkjlOjCzrudg

https://twitter.com/diabeyonce/status/1506314684441546760?s=21&t=BL0cmtwWY_Ur5bEyZBtOZw

Students in Florida have been protesting the Don’t Say Gay bill. In the first clip, the students being interviewed express disillusionment with the Democratic Party. At their age, I still believed in the Democratic Party and always voted for them. But over time, I saw them make promises but never fight for them. It’s interesting how these kids are seeing past the illusion now, either because they are smarter than I was at the time or because the Democratic Party is so poo poo nowadays, that it’s hard not to see the truth. Or both.

The second flip is just documenting the walk out at a school.

theCalamity fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 25, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Just in time for 4/20 month, Congress is doing a weed week today and next week.

- They are voting on a bipartisan banking reform bill to allow banks to do business with legal marijuana retailers without violating money laundering laws.
- They are voting on a legalization bill that is expected to fail to overcome the filibuster as well.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1507085315953078273

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Bishyaler posted:

Yeah, bottom line is unless Democrats start wielding power effectively they're just fighting a war of attrition until they lose for good. Which is irresponsible foolishness or their goal for underdog fundraising depending on how cynical your view of them is. In either case there is no point in investing time, money, or effort in supporting the party.

I don't _want_ to support the democrats, because I think a few of their core tenents are wrong.

BUT, if I have to chose between the democrats and voting for the insanity party, I'm going to vote democrat.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- They are voting on a bipartisan banking reform bill to allow banks to do business with legal marijuana retailers without violating money laundering laws.
- They are voting on a legalization bill that is expected to fail to overcome the filibuster as well.

What's wild is that the cannabis industry has already adapted to unfavorable banking conditions. CanPay and other 3rd party payer services exist. It's almost like they waited until a boutique industry serving cannabis companies was allowed to flourish just for the sake of creating a new, bullshit industry out of whole cloth.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Got to seek those rents where you can

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

What's wild is that the cannabis industry has already adapted to unfavorable banking conditions. CanPay and other 3rd party payer services exist. It's almost like they waited until a boutique industry serving cannabis companies was allowed to flourish just for the sake of creating a new, bullshit industry out of whole cloth.

Payroll and taxes are still a nightmare for dispensaries.

I don't know how much of a pain the retail payment aspect is right now, but it used to be bad.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Payroll and taxes are still a nightmare for dispensaries.

I don't know how much of a pain the retail payment aspect is right now, but it used to be bad.

I just walk into the dispensary and pay with my debit card. :shrug:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

I just walk into the dispensary and pay with my debit card. :shrug:

I meant on the business end in terms of paying/calculating the excise and sales tax and keeping sales records. For a while, they had to do it by hand because they didn't have access to business checking accounts and were operating primarily in cash (which also made them a huge target for crime).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I would love for this to pass though I feel like considering Biden's stance on weed they might need a veto-proof majority to get it out there?

Would be happy to be wrong about that though!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I meant on the business end in terms of paying/calculating the excise and sales tax and keeping sales records. For a while, they had to do it by hand because they didn't have access to business checking accounts and were operating primarily in cash (which also made them a huge target for crime).

My heart bleeds for them. Meanwhile registered medical marijuana patients can't grow their own because that would interfere with profits.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
I'm still mad that as the only state with our own bank that we didn't pass a law to accept banking of cannabis related sales. Could've done a good thing and brought in an insane amount of revenue to do public works.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Srice posted:

I would love for this to pass though I feel like considering Biden's stance on weed they might need a veto-proof majority to get it out there?

I don't think it's possible for the Senate to vote in a way that beats a filibuster (60) but doesn't beat a veto override (67). Either you attract all 50 republicans or zero of them. There is no issue that will attract more than 10 but fewer than 17, the Senate just doesn't work like that any more

Not saying the bill will definitely pass, but I don't think we'll be in a situation where Biden's veto makes the difference

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Srice posted:

He supports the medical research bill that passed and the banking reform bill.

He said he would sign a bill that provided full federal decriminalization, but does not support federal legalization.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

He supports the medical research bill that passed and the banking reform bill.

He said he would sign a bill that provided full federal decriminalization, but does not support federal legalization.

I'm probably courting the lines of "bring an original topic to discuss" with this one, but do we really want to start down the rabbit hole of what Biden said vs what he's delivered again?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Bishyaler posted:

Exactly. Democrats (and their supporters) are likely to never recognize the illegitimacy of the Supreme Court because they are complicit with the lurch to the right and the path to a fascism.

So I guess “lol”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

I'm probably courting the lines of "bring an original topic to discuss" with this one, but do we really want to start down the rabbit hole of what Biden said vs what he's delivered again?

He's not gonna veto the research or banking bill.

And a legalization bill is never going to hit his desk.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

haveblue posted:

I don't think it's possible for the Senate to vote in a way that beats a filibuster (60) but doesn't beat a veto override (67). Either you attract all 50 republicans or zero of them. There is no issue that will attract more than 10 but fewer than 17, the Senate just doesn't work like that any more

Not saying the bill will definitely pass, but I don't think we'll be in a situation where Biden's veto makes the difference

Yea it'd definitely be a weird outlier for sure in that scenario but in light of how weird everything is all the time, at this point nothing would surprise me, y'know? I do agree it's very unlikely.

Lib and let die posted:

Yea this is absolutely a matter where I'd only believe him when he takes an action on it.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

He's not gonna veto the research or banking bill.

And a legalization bill is never going to hit his desk.

Is this not something Biden could resolve with an EO?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Plus I'm pretty sure weed businesses aren't allowed to deduct business expenses from revenue for the purpose of federal taxes (at least as of a few years ago) and that's a bizarre accounting standard I've never seen levied on another business.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bishyaler posted:

I'm still mad that as the only state with our own bank that we didn't pass a law to accept banking of cannabis related sales. Could've done a good thing and brought in an insane amount of revenue to do public works.

the state bank may have had to comply with fdic rules or lose protections like insurance on accounts up to $250k.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Willa Rogers posted:

the state bank may have had to comply with fdic rules or lose protections like insurance on accounts up to $250k.

If you consider the amount of revenue we would've brought in from handling all the cannabis sales in the US, I think at that point $250k of insurance is a bit more trivial. Plus the people in our state would love nothing more than an opportunity to tell the Federal Government to gently caress off.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mixed News for Biden, but I am somewhat surprised that most Americans aren't doing the "President Gas Lever Cartoon.jpeg" argument.

Good for Biden: Less than half of Americans blame him for high gas prices.

Bad for Biden: Most people think his spending and economic policies are causing inflation.

- 69% of Americans say the economy is fair or poor.
- Partisanship is overwhelmingly the driver of whether someone believes Biden's spending has hurt the economy.
- Democrats are less loyal to Biden than Republicans are to Trump.
- A majority of Americans say it is more important to effectively sanction Russia than it is to protect gas prices.

Other surprising thing:

- People are least concerned about housing costs' impact on their budget. Only 40% say they are very concerned. They are mostly concerned about gas prices, which 68% are very concerned about.

Despite the fact that housing is the biggest chunk of everyone's spending and one of the sectors with the largest increases.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1507377277310578690

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 25, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bishyaler posted:

If you consider the amount of revenue we would've brought in from handling all the cannabis sales in the US, I think at that point $250k of insurance is a bit more trivial. Plus the people in our state would love nothing more than an opportunity to tell the Federal Government to gently caress off.

Sure, but there might be other services affected, like ach transfers.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Exactly. Democrats (and their supporters) are likely to never recognize the illegitimacy of the Supreme Court because they are complicit with the lurch to the right and the path to a fascism.

So I guess “lol”

As far as I’m concerned the Supreme Court should be completely ignored. Not only is it idiotic in practice (LIFE appointments? WTF?) but like most justices were put in over bullshit means. Gore won the popular vote in 2000, Hillary won in 2016, Obama should have picked his Supreme Court pick back in 2016. Bush and Trump appointments during their first terms shouldn’t apply.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

As far as I’m concerned the Supreme Court should be completely ignored. Not only is it idiotic in practice (LIFE appointments? WTF?) but like most justices were put in over bullshit means. Gore won the popular vote in 2000, Hillary won in 2016, Obama should have picked his Supreme Court pick back in 2016. Bush and Trump appointments during their first terms shouldn’t apply.

The naked illegitimacy of the Supreme Court and the senate are great reasons to doubt the legitimacy of the entire enterprise. We can see the edifice of state being nakedly corrupt over and over again, undeniably so. So where does the faith in the system come from? If an entire third of the substructure is an obvious partisan rubber stamp mechanism and half of another third is an antidemocratic institution designed to subvert popular will by deciding arbitrary units of population (states) all get equal representation, where is the legitimate work product we can point at?

I get being scared of change, or just saying “well it’s not actually a democracy but it’s as close as we’ll ever get” but I couldn’t bring myself to accept that level of humiliation. How much of the government do we have to accept as illegitimate before the whole enterprise can be thrown out? Why bother with laws when they obviously don’t apply to the rich and famous, Eric?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Other surprising thing:

- People are least concerned about housing costs' impact on their budget. Only 40% say they are very concerned. They are mostly concerned about gas prices, which 68% are very concerned about.

Despite the fact that housing is the biggest chunk of everyone's spending and one of the sectors with the largest increases.

I don't think 40 percent of respondents is an "only" situation when it comes to concern about being able to afford shelter, a human right.

Plus it tracks almost identically with the percentage of 67 percent who own homes, instead of renting. I'd say it's a pretty dire stat as far as renters are concerned, and that's the group most likely to experience housing insecurity.

Plus another 24 percent are "somewhat concerned." Altogether, 64 percent of respondents are experiencing some level of concern while 35 percent are not, which I consider pretty alarming--it's two out of every three respondents, and includes a hefty chunk of homeowners, to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cimber posted:

I don't _want_ to support the democrats, because I think a few of their core tenents are wrong.

BUT, if I have to chose between the democrats and voting for the insanity party, I'm going to vote democrat.

Well, that's pretty much everybody at least in my experience. Makes for a lovely bumper sticker though.

I really really think that the dem's messaging and marketing needs a lot of work.