Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

blue squares posted:

so many people itt know tons of people with Covid, or have anecdotes about students missing 50% of the year so far, etc

meanwhile I don’t know anybody right now with it, nobody at my work has popped positive in a while unless my work decided to stop announcing it without telling us (very possible), and my fiancé who is a teacher hasn’t had a student out for Covid since early Feb

My family all lives up in the northeast part of the state. They know I'm being careful about covid. They've all had it, some of them multiple times, and my mother got crazy sick from it. No one told me about it at all and I found out accidentally when my brother's wife let it slip on a group chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Louisgod posted:

that's my plan for the weekend though living in Oregon means trying to stave off allergies is like pissing on a wildfire, which ironically is something we now have to deal with yearly.

e: if anybody has a link to easy instructions for construction and for one that doesn't look like absolute rear end, I'd appreciate it.

This is where I looked when we put ours together. Do it, it's fantastic. I'm also in Oregon and my allergies have never been so mild.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

blue squares posted:

so many people itt know tons of people with Covid, or have anecdotes about students missing 50% of the year so far, etc

meanwhile I don’t know anybody right now with it, nobody at my work has popped positive in a while unless my work decided to stop announcing it without telling us (very possible), and my fiancé who is a teacher hasn’t had a student out for Covid since early Feb

Look buddy, if you have a time machine your patriotic duty is to bring COVID back to the early 80's and force the Regan administration to deal with it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My family all lives up in the northeast part of the state. They know I'm being careful about covid. They've all had it, some of them multiple times, and my mother got crazy sick from it. No one told me about it at all and I found out accidentally when my brother's wife let it slip on a group chat.

I've found multiple instances of friends and family concealing that a) they got it , and b) the severity of their symptoms from me because they think I'm a crazy cave syndromer and if they admit they were loving hospitalized it'll just keep me from coming to brunch that much longer.

A friend told another friend that they felt closer to death with COVID than the time they almost bled out during a C-Section but I had to hear that through the grape vine because they didn't want to trigger my COVID anxiety.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

empty whippet box posted:

when it's cold as poo poo outside I wear my n95 outside too just because it's warmer and I don't want to wear a scarf. wearing a mask to help with allergies would also be a good use of masks, but no, the most important thing is that nobody has to be horrifically oppressed by the awful awful fate of having a mask on, which is the worst thing that could possibly ever happen to anyone.

Someone dragged me in the econ thread for mentioning I wore a mask in my car. Sorry it bothers you so much I prefer a mask to antihistamines. :shrug:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

Look buddy, if you have a time machine your patriotic duty is to bring COVID back to the early 80's and force the Regan administration to deal with it

smooth fauci would do an even worse job than crypt keeper fauci

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fly Molo posted:

smooth fauci would do an even worse job than crypt keeper fauci

Yeah, but COVID would be over by now

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I have some good news! The religious school I am giving this training at still has the teachers and students in surgicals or better. I guess at least the Islamic community here is still taking this seriously.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 356 days!

Greg Legg posted:

I have some good news! The religious school I am giving this training at still has the teachers and students in surgicals or better. I guess at least the Islamic community here is still taking this seriously.

Minority groups by and large take this more seriously

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, but COVID would be over by now

let’s be honest with ourselves

no it wouldnt

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

loading... posted:

you know what, it's something. and i'll take what i can get.

Take a thread break. Health anxiety is a vicious cycle, you'll feel better from this, then the anxiety will start creeping back in and you're back to doomscrolling.

COVID sucks, but it's not the guaranteed kill/disabling shot your mind is hyping it up to be.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

loading... posted:

i just hope against hope all of us can stay as infection free as possible. i hope we can avoid as many ill effects as possible. i'm cheering on everyone who wants to stay safe and i want to share that because it's more and more lonely being one of those people and we don't get people cheering us on. :sympathy:

chronic stress can destroy your health. if you're able to, having a pet and doing a physical hobby you can do alone like running can help with stress. even something like gardening can help you reach flow state and escape this terrible reality for a bit.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I’ll add another anecdotal story.

I started feeling a little bit like a crazy person taking my covid safety measures so seriously. Everyone’s out and doing things and it just feels like you’re missing the world turning. Luckily this year I got the chance to feel like I was making the right moves.

In January i found out my previous work place, which seemed to have survived totally unscathed for a couple of years, has had rampant outbreaks over and over again. They just hid it, made staff quietly quarantine (or not at all) and didn’t tell their clients. Just villainous stuff.

In that same month I found out the die hard fitness places that stayed open, that I used to go to and miss dearly, have all had constant break outs with staff and clients. Gyms, martial arts studios, outdoor recreation… They just hid it.

If you ask any business they all will tell you they haven’t had a covid outbreak. Oh yeah they’re also mysteriously understaffed for some reason and client counts are down

**edit for typos

Coldrice has issued a correction as of 20:40 on Mar 25, 2022

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

Lots of people on work Slack saying they are sick with "allergies" and reporting negative antigen tests.

It's been said a million times, but the strategy of relying on those tests was genius political theater. Millions of false negatives and most of the pozzes won't even show up in the official stats.

yeah maybe it wasnt a good thing the government (this government anyways) decided to give out free tests lol

its quite the masterstroke tho

ButcherWombat
Sep 28, 2021

Zugzwang posted:

This thread’s pessimistic projections about the CDC have a depressingly strong track record, so,

We need a Poe’s Law equivalent for stuff the CDC says/does.

Or maybe a Moore's Law for the CDC, something like the incompetence and subservience to capital at the CDC doubles every two years.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

huh, a fifth of the class with that student with confirmed COVID a few days ago are now absent.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
hey, i'm looking for a very specific mask recommendation

my wife is a speech pathologist and spends all day working with kids on communication, so she's constantly talking

she's been wearing the 3M 9211+ respirators for months but she's sick of them, is there something she can wear under these conditions that would be more comfortable?

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Lacrosse posted:

Someone dragged me in the econ thread for mentioning I wore a mask in my car. Sorry it bothers you so much I prefer a mask to antihistamines. :shrug:

donning and doffing an n95 is more annoying than just keeping it on that's why i wear one in the car

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

McCracAttack posted:

Wasn't someone in here talking about they had to walk out of a hospital because they refused to treat them until they took off their N95?

I had to go to urgent care in like early 2021 for a nasty ear infection and they required me to put a surgical mask on. Was some bullshit.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Louisgod posted:

that's my plan for the weekend though living in Oregon means trying to stave off allergies is like pissing on a wildfire, which ironically is something we now have to deal with yearly.

e: if anybody has a link to easy instructions for construction and for one that doesn't look like absolute rear end, I'd appreciate it.

This is probably the clearest set of instructions I've found:

These are the filters I got (they're 30"x20"x1" instead of 20"x20"x1", but were the same price as the smaller ones)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nordic-Pure-20-in-x-30-in-x-1-in-Ultimate-Pleated-MERV-13-Air-Filter-6-Pack-20x30x1M13-6/306131134

And this is the fan (this model seems to pop up in a lot of instructions):
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-20-in-3-Speed-White-Box-Fan-with-Save-Smart-Technology-for-Energy-Efficiency-B20201/203072133

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Cloks posted:

my wife is a speech pathologist and spends all day working with kids on communication, so she's constantly talking

she's been wearing the 3M 9211+ respirators for months but she's sick of them, is there something she can wear under these conditions that would be more comfortable?

a vflex?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Cloks posted:

The Envomask is generally regarded as THE comfiest option. It's a bit pricey and I personally find the seal less than bulletproof. However it seems to work for a lot of people, esp those that need to speak and be heard.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

power word- Jeb! posted:

donning and doffing an n95 is more annoying than just keeping it on that's why i wear one in the car

I will typically don and doff but if it's a short trip I'll keep it on

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Why Am I So Tired posted:

This is probably the clearest set of instructions I've found:

These are the filters I got (they're 30"x20"x1" instead of 20"x20"x1", but were the same price as the smaller ones)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nordic-Pure-20-in-x-30-in-x-1-in-Ultimate-Pleated-MERV-13-Air-Filter-6-Pack-20x30x1M13-6/306131134

And this is the fan (this model seems to pop up in a lot of instructions):
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-20-in-3-Speed-White-Box-Fan-with-Save-Smart-Technology-for-Energy-Efficiency-B20201/203072133

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

This is where I looked when we put ours together. Do it, it's fantastic. I'm also in Oregon and my allergies have never been so mild.

thank you both, looks like I have a fun project to work on today/tomorrow.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Strep Vote posted:

every unmasked face is a gun pointing at me and every smiling jackass is saying "don't worry it's not loaded"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/t_nyc/status/1506994083557953548?s=21

cool.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cloks posted:

The envo mask is great (envomask.com). I spend a lot of my day speaking either on the phone or face to face and the only time I've had a complaint was when both parties were on speakerphone and I was 4 feet from the phone mic. So, normal speaking.

Iirc they are running a 40% off sale for March, super worth it. Get a big box of filters.

My only complaint is the condensation but my office is very cold all the time.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

olives black posted:

first time in my life that I've actually had long hair and I'm loving it, tis great for headbanging

should have told all of the naysayers to gently caress off years ago and just let it grow out proper

Hell yeah, welcome to the club, let the hair flow in the wind and bask under some spring sun

Shouldn't be long until it greys from the stress of 21st century living and my Secure-Click grants instant Immortan Joe mode

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
thanks, i think we have an envomask and i'll get some vflex masks

sucks that all responsibility for this has been pushed to the individual acting as a consumer!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

The Oldest Man posted:

I've found multiple instances of friends and family concealing that a) they got it , and b) the severity of their symptoms from me because they think I'm a crazy cave syndromer and if they admit they were loving hospitalized it'll just keep me from coming to brunch that much longer.

A friend told another friend that they felt closer to death with COVID than the time they almost bled out during a C-Section but I had to hear that through the grape vine because they didn't want to trigger my COVID anxiety.

My brother, his wife and two kids visited us in December right as omi was popping off as part of a larger weekend trip. I asked him before they came if the cases numbers gave him pause about taking his kids to an NFL game, restaurants and the aquarium. His response: "No changes to plans. Just planning to be careful. Let us know if you aren't comfortable with us coming by your place. We'd 100% understand."

I am not an anxious person, but my family knows I have been extra careful with my preexisting condition and I honestly don't talk to them about COVID much because it's entered that realm next to religion and politics where there's almost no productive conversation to be had about it. But this was the first inkling I had they thought I might be paranoid or summat. Whelp, the whole family got COVID as I suggested they might. Despite being at my house the day before, he never tells me and I only heard about it from my mother. People just loving lie or hide it.

To be fair, it's pretty much the norm for my vaguely anglo white middle class family to hide most illnesses from one another, up to and including cancers. Ostensibly it's to prevent the other party from worrying, but it seems kind of self-defeating to deny yourself the sympathetic ear of family.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 14:43 on Mar 4, 2023

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

why is there a new thread?

pandemic is over now

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Cloks posted:

also going to recommend trying out the v-flex - 3m 9105. straps are rubber, but seem more durable than the 9205 straps. this mask has huge surface area, and is very breathable.

I posted a link in the final pages of the last thread, but it turns out that those too are backordered, w no certain ship date in sight.

the vflex is p sweet, def don’t get enough love itt

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

razorscooter posted:

why is there a new thread?

pandemic is over now

this is the thread for talking about how excited we are that Covid is over.

and beans n such.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 14:43 on Mar 4, 2023

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Greg Legg posted:

The Desi community here is taking it very seriously because they often live in multi-generational households, so they had horrific deaths rates from kids transmitting to their grandparents after schools reopened. Now their vaccination rate is over 99%.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

A guy I am in contact with who works for one of the state agriculture agencies got covid in Jan and although he recovered, his memory is totally shot

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

bedpan posted:

A guy I am in contact with who works for one of the state agriculture agencies got covid in Jan and although he recovered, his memory is totally shot

So what you're saying is he didn't recover.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

loading... posted:

i know i'm preaching to the choir, but honestly, i literally do not yet know how to cope if i were ever infected. i still don't plan to be, and i am doing everything possible to stay ahead of the curve and prevent that, but the fact is that selfish people are actively making it harder and harder to avoid COVID and my brain cannot accept the inevitability of likely being disabled, chronically ill, and/or immunocompromised the rest of my life, and the powers that be apparently actively want that to happen. literally, it triggers my fight-or-flight reflex to think about it, and i am just constantly tense and elevated to the point it has caused me physical pain and discomfort since Omicron hit. everything got worse at that point, and that's when people gave up. i have had full on anxiety attacks thinking about a dental appointment next month. i have had anger issues i've never had before, and i've cut off pretty much all of my friends recently because they just don't care, are happy to openerup, and think i am just being irrational. i would personally be overwhelmed with shame and rage if i were infected because i am the only one i know who gives a poo poo, the only one i know who is apparently concerned with or morally responsible to other people. it doesn't help that i do literally have OCD over moral and ethical matters. i am having nightmares about being exposed on a regular basis and i'm not sleeping well. i am angrier and angrier every day, and the only thing people tell me is that i am 1) overreacting because they think i won't literally die on a vent and 2) "you're gonna get it, embrace it!!! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!" actual cultish, zombie poo poo.

this loving pandemic took not only obviously the things that i wanted to do (that other people are selfishly, recklessly doing anyway and complaining about because they are mad other people aren't), but being able to reliably do the things i have to do that i've put off and that i have to schedule around the consequences of their selfishness. it has destroyed any social network i had, it's made me view everyone as a threat to my wellbeing, and every day just sucks. i have no dopamine left, but plenty of cortisol and adrenaline. i was traumatized and living with that before, but this is compounding and exacerbating that because it's traumatic in of itself.

i think i would probably survive infection but i don't know, none of us can know how bad it would be, acutely or chronically. i do know now that my friends absolutely don't care and have 100% given up trying either way. they're incredibly privileged and ignorant. and if i were infected and even disabled/chronically ill it would be a thing i would have to integrate like anyone else who is, but gently caress, dude, this poo poo loving sucks. i don't think brains are built to just endure unending panoramic horror and callous, calculated brutality like this. 1,000,000+ people in the USA died from this! in 2 years! gently caress!

and yes, i am in therapy. i'm doing my best to stay well and to navigate this. it's just, gently caress, man. the thing is, *how i feel is rational and justified*. it's not an irrational thing or cognitive distortion, poo poo is extremely dangerous. but i don't know what to do with that fact. human beings are loving awful, and i will never be what i was before this, even just before omicron. hell, i was normally too shy to even :justpost: until recently.

i just hope against hope all of us can stay as infection free as possible. i hope we can avoid as many ill effects as possible. i'm cheering on everyone who wants to stay safe and i want to share that because it's more and more lonely being one of those people and we don't get people cheering us on. :sympathy:

I'm not sure what I can say to make you feel better, but I relate to this a lot. And the way you feel is 100% rational and justified, and everyone acting as if you're the crazy one and "living their lives" is making you even more justified with every selfish and reckless thing they do. I hope your therapist is a good one and doesn't dismiss you / steer you towards an Open Biden lifestyle to help justify their own. Hang in there, you're right and doing the right thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

AppleNippleBOB posted:

and beans n such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiS9oFKgDq4