Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I backed Frosthaven and forgot all about it! Do we know when it's expected to ship to the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

moths posted:

I backed Frosthaven and forgot all about it! Do we know when it's expected to ship to the US?

Tell me you spend too much on Kickstarter without telling me you spend too much on Kickstarter.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It was early pandemic, in my defense.

But :gbsmith:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Not sure if I should ask here or Boardgame thread - sell me on Tidal Blades. Saw the first one in the game store last night, had never noticed it before yesterday, probably only noticed it because of the Kickstarter for 2.

Cypher sucks rear end, so don't sell me on that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

moths posted:

The last time he said anything, they were expecting to start shipping out of China in May. So, uhh, it's shipping "to" the US in May, but then slow boats and customs and warehouses and fulfillment with a pandemic and a world war looming so I think December is a safe bet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CitizenKeen posted:

Not sure if I should ask here or Boardgame thread - sell me on Tidal Blades. Saw the first one in the game store last night, had never noticed it before yesterday, probably only noticed it because of the Kickstarter for 2.

Cypher sucks rear end, so don't sell me on that.

The first was a super light dice chucker. This is a completely different game just sharing the theme and setting. The first was widely available at retail too so if this narrative story version ends up being good just grab it later.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Solkanar512 posted:

The VHS dice are $70 per set??

And there's no explanation for this anywhere on the page. Just "remember the '80s? Buy our poo poo!" I'm honestly pretty baffled by both the price point and that there's nobody querying it in the comments.

To compare, I checked Elder Dice which I backed in 2018 and their dice were USD19 for a set of 9 dice, a magnetic lid storage box, and bonus stretch goals (I think it was a metal D2 and maybe some extra D6).. I don't think they are ~hand poured by hand~ or razor sharp edges but they're very nice looking dice that were presented really well and at the time I still felt like a bit of a sucker paying that much for dice.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

cyberia posted:

And there's no explanation for this anywhere on the page. Just "remember the '80s? Buy our poo poo!" I'm honestly pretty baffled by both the price point and that there's nobody querying it in the comments.

To compare, I checked Elder Dice which I backed in 2018 and their dice were USD19 for a set of 9 dice, a magnetic lid storage box, and bonus stretch goals (I think it was a metal D2 and maybe some extra D6).. I don't think they are ~hand poured by hand~ or razor sharp edges but they're very nice looking dice that were presented really well and at the time I still felt like a bit of a sucker paying that much for dice.

VHS Dice posted:

If you've gotten to this point and are wondering what a VHS box has to do with resin dice, you'll want to read this next part.

Nothing at all. It's just the box they come in.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

inferis posted:

The Jurassic park game looks like a reskinned Robinson Crusoe, which was really difficult and had tons of randomness

I played Robinson Crusoe, then I read the blog where he has Vlaada Chavatil playtest his game and drop such searing game design insights that I bowed my head in awe. Then he mostly seemed to ignore Vlaada and I wept.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks! My Kickstarter Hard Wired Island: Stories From L5, a bunch of scenarios for my retrofuture cyberpunk RPG Hard Wired Island, is wrapping in less than 48 hours! If we hit the stretch goal I can pay someone to make music again :parrot:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This is only tangentially related to tabletop games but there's an artist I like who does d&d themed enamel pins and they have put out another kickstarter. For any of you who like pins, here's a link.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frostdragondesigns/black-cat-rpg-3

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

My gut says that it'll start shipping to backers in early Summer and be available by Gen Con for convention sales.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That's the current estimate - containers starting to ship from China in mid-May so fulfillment starting (somewhere) in early summer. They're expecting fulfillment to take several months, though, and I don't think they've released region-specific timelines.

CHOAM
Mar 13, 2022

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jnohr/cy-borg/posts/3463146?ref=activity

Because of a paper shortage CY_BORG backers will receive an early digital copy on April 13th. With printing being aimed for the end of Summer rather than the mid-Summer date originally aimed for.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Ok Backerkit is messing up for me, anyone here has experience of how to pay the fee as a project manager?

I've set up everything. There's an amount I need to pay on the Preview Pricing page, and I've entered my credit card info. I press pay. Nothing happens except I get a little red message in the corner that I should verify my payment with my bank. I call my bank, and they say that there are no attempts to draw the money from my card.

How is it supposed to work? I've sent an e-mail to Backerkit but I haven't gotten any reply yet, so I thought I ask here to see if anyone knows what I'm missing.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Through dark magicks I have been able to put my hands on a copy of Townsfolk Tussle at basically price :woop:.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

lilljonas posted:

Ok Backerkit is messing up for me, anyone here has experience of how to pay the fee as a project manager?

I've set up everything. There's an amount I need to pay on the Preview Pricing page, and I've entered my credit card info. I press pay. Nothing happens except I get a little red message in the corner that I should verify my payment with my bank. I call my bank, and they say that there are no attempts to draw the money from my card.

How is it supposed to work? I've sent an e-mail to Backerkit but I haven't gotten any reply yet, so I thought I ask here to see if anyone knows what I'm missing.

Sometimes it's a typo in the expiry date or something (or trying to use an unsupported card.) In general if the bank doesn't see the attempt then it didn't get that far which USUALLY means user error but not always.

Backerkit is pretty responsive in my experience, but you might have to account for a time difference.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

People are getting Dark Tower, has anyone had the chance to play it yet?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

The Eyes Have It posted:

Sometimes it's a typo in the expiry date or something (or trying to use an unsupported card.) In general if the bank doesn't see the attempt then it didn't get that far which USUALLY means user error but not always.

Backerkit is pretty responsive in my experience, but you might have to account for a time difference.

I've entered the card info at least four times now, so I doubt it's that. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. It just sucks as I can't send out the pledge manager until this is done, I've finished every other step but this.

E: it must have been some error on their site, I got in touch with their helpdesk and they sent an invoice instead which I could pay, no problems.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 25, 2022

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Azubah posted:

Check the regular boardgames thread, there's at least one trip report in there. I haven't gotten to play my copy yet.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Azubah posted:

It's fun! It's not super deep and it's very app-reliant, so if you don't like having to use a phone/tablet in conjunction with a board game, you won't like it. But the gameplay is a decent little "get stuff done on a map while trying to control the growth of bad poo poo" type game, and its cool to have the big glowing tower making noise and spitting out skulls.

We haven't tried playing with the guilds expansion yet which might provide a little more depth.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

is anyone else backing the sorcery tcg? i'm pretty set on getting at least the starter packs and a booster box or two, the art is pretty much strictly driving this for me. has anyone watched play videos or tried it? does the game actually seem fun to play?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

StarkRavingMad posted:

It's fun! It's not super deep and it's very app-reliant, so if you don't like having to use a phone/tablet in conjunction with a board game, you won't like it. But the gameplay is a decent little "get stuff done on a map while trying to control the growth of bad poo poo" type game, and its cool to have the big glowing tower making noise and spitting out skulls.

We haven't tried playing with the guilds expansion yet which might provide a little more depth.

Friend brought it all over today. We all really loved it. The cooperative play and constant tension about what will go wrong next isn't that unlike Pandemic. But with sound effects and glowing tower stuff and skulls being flung at you.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: 24hr Warning on Hamlet :siren:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyboards/hamlet-the-village-building-game/description

I'm backing, I think it looks fan-loving-tastic.

-------------------------------------------

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/tpkhe6/crowdfunded_games_launching_this_week_mar_28th/

Couple of interesting ones this week
- Age of Rome looks very pretty. Interested in seeing previews for it
- Dead by Daylight is your potential Mini FOMO for the week
- Silicon Valley should be avoided, as Grail Games currently have 2 unfulfilled KS. (I have backed both)
- Autobahn theoretically launches this week - and I'm likely backing to fill a Brass Birmingham sized holed in my collection

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Infinitum posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyboards/hamlet-the-village-building-game/description

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/tpkhe6/crowdfunded_games_launching_this_week_mar_28th/

Couple of interesting ones this week
- Age of Rome looks very pretty. Interested in seeing previews for it
- Dead by Daylight is your potential Mini FOMO for the week
- Silicon Valley should be avoided, as Grail Games currently have 2 unfulfilled KS. (I have backed both)
- Autobahn theoretically launches this week - and I'm likely backing to fill a Brass Birmingham sized holed in my collection

Dead by daylight is a weird one. The concept could be a really great game and it is made by Level99 which have made some beautiful thematic games but… the game looks awful from early previews. The board is one of the ugliest boards I’ve seen and really kills the theme and the rules are very light but not in a good way.

Just looks really ugly and generic.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Infinitum posted:

I initially backed this one and now just have a 1 dollar after playing the demo. It felt pretty lacklustre to me in practice even accounting for how fiddly the odd shaped tiles were on digital platforms. It just didnt have much satisfying gameplay for me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Nightmare Cathedral a game based on the art of Zdzisław Beksiński has launched over on Gamefound. Lots of very cool looking minis.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

In KS related news

Brandon Sanderson's KS for 4 new books has 62 hours to go and is at almost $36 million USD.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragonsteel/surprise-four-secret-novels-by-brandon-sanderson

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Infinitum posted:

In KS related news

Brandon Sanderson's KS for 4 new books has 62 hours to go and is at almost $36 million USD.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragonsteel/surprise-four-secret-novels-by-brandon-sanderson
That's three frosthavens!

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

dwarf74 posted:

That's three frosthavens!

And the backers will actually receive them!

And in case I need to state it, I'm joking. I know I'll received Frosthaven... eventually.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Jamie Stegmaier pointed out the interesting fact that Sanderson's ultra-successful campaign actually breaks a lot of commonly-known "rules" for crowdfunding. They wouldn't work for the average creator (but they worked for Sanderson.)

Zero hype prior to launching, the only reward is a combo of three books, and the content of those are not even known, nor are there reviews or anything. Wouldn't work for just anyone :v:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Eyes Have It posted:

Jamie Stegmaier pointed out the interesting fact that Sanderson's ultra-successful campaign actually breaks a lot of commonly-known "rules" for crowdfunding. They wouldn't work for the average creator (but they worked for Sanderson.)

Zero hype prior to launching, the only reward is a combo of three books, and the content of those are not even known, nor are there reviews or anything. Wouldn't work for just anyone :v:

There were extensive previews of all 4 books, one per week - I wonder if those changed the sums in any meaningful way. I didn't find any of them interesting in the least and have not backed despite liking Sanderson, for example.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Good point, it launched as unknown content, but as you say it didn't stay that way.

Maybe that helped it blow from a paltry 16 mil to whatever it is now!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's no mystery that the number 1 shortcut to success with crowdfunding is to be a world renown famous person in your field, doubly so if there is already a lot of crossover in the Kickstarter audience and your fandom.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
In other crowdfunding news, Gamefound is now open for anyone to run campaigns on.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
the kickstarter for the revised tome of adventure design is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adventuredesigntome/tome-of-adventure-design

this is pretty much THE go to inspiration/ideas book in the OSR, and a revised/expanded/updated edition is a great, great resource. highly recommend it.

importantly they're also cleaning up the language (no racial slurs against Roma people), and it looks like Frog God Games (the owner of which is an infamously gropey/sexual harasser kind of person) is not involved in any way, I've asked in the comments to confirm the latter

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Appreciate you linking that, I think my DM will be very interested.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

dungeon degenerates out for delivery and I'm super stoked

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Did they release a new edition? (I never got to play the first one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

The Eyes Have It posted:

Did they release a new edition? (I never got to play the first one)

DUNGEON DEGENERATES: HAND OF DOOM FOURTH PRINTING, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seanaaberg/dungeon-degenerates-hand-of-doom-fourth-printing?ref=android_project_share