Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The TV cut is the one that went even longer. It's what they cobbled together with all footage they had, including scenes with unfinished effects that they thought they could get away with because it was cropped to 4:3.

https://youtu.be/BfhYjOa13Dw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Honestly one of the best versions of TMP that I’ve seen was “Star Trek Legacy” on Vimeo where some dude did like a 25 minute cut of the film and set it pretty well to the Tron Legacy soundtrack.

Say what you want about the idea of doing that (and/or replacing the original rad soundtrack with another rad soundtrack), but that movie definitely benefits from heavy edits. I think 25 minutes is a bit much, especially since it removes stuff like the tension of Kirk wanting to be a captain again or the explanation of even the name V’GER, but the this movie would make a loving excellent 70 minute affair versus anything longer.

God that loving part with the warp wormhole asteroid slowmo is like the main offender.

TMP is so weird to me, as I age. I grew up on always knowing it existed and thinking it sucked, but as I got older I definitely have learned to appreciate it and the effort that went into it a lot more. Especially since ST3 is basically feels like a TV movie.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

jeeves posted:

Especially since ST3 is basically feels like a TV movie.

Yeah. I'm not sure how, but the exact same sets, costumes and props somehow look cheaper in ST3 than they did in ST2. I don't know enough about filmmaking to say exactly what makes the difference -- lighting? shot composition? film stock? -- but it's true.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah. I'm not sure how, but the exact same sets, costumes and props somehow look cheaper in ST3 than they did in ST2. I don't know enough about filmmaking to say exactly what makes the difference -- lighting? shot composition? film stock? -- but it's true.

It was a neophyte director in the chair in Nimoy which probably contributes to all those things.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
TMP should be six hours long.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

TMP should be six hours long.

And like, a whole series. With an expanded role for Deckard and Ilia, maybe.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Arivia posted:

And like, a whole series. With an expanded role for Deckard and Ilia, maybe.

Can we rework Illia so she has hair, maybe add a robot?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Owlbear Camus posted:

Can we rework Illia so she has hair, maybe add a robot?

Why would you want to make Ilia less sexy?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

IDK. Maybe she could have an inconsistent accent she forgets to do in the movies?

I'm not sure what we do for chef engineer we'll sort it out in the second season.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

IDK. Maybe she could have an inconsistent accent she forgets to do in the movies?

I'm not sure what we do for chef engineer we'll sort it out in the second season.

Chef Engineer Gordy Ramsey

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Owlbear Camus posted:

The engineer who appears in the movie, Biff Yeager, is the epitome of a Starfleet engineer. Montgomery who? I look forward to seeing more of Biff in upcoming movies!

> letter is postmarked two days before first screening date of movie <

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

But in the meantime, I've had this crazy idea -- hear me out, now -- what if the guy who's actually flying the ship... is blind?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jeeves posted:

Especially since ST3 is basically feels like a TV movie.

This checks out, as 2, 3 and 4 were produced by Paramount's television division.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Hey, her oath of celibacy is on file, so what's the point?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
*writes on a cocktail napkin* ??4 tiddies??

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would watch TSS three times in a row before rewatching TMP again

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Toxic Spock Syndrome

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

tmp is cool because you can go run some errands come back and it's still the same scene

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Owlbear Camus posted:

tmp is cool because you can go run some errands come back and it's still the same scene

Yeah I'm a big Andrei Tarkovsky fan as well

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Brawnfire posted:

Toxic Spock Syndrome

thread title nominee

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Toxic Spock Syndrome

Is that too long for a username?

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Powered Descent posted:

Is that too long for a username?

Spocktopussy was :colbert:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm going to go out there and say it, but I've never liked TMP.

I swear it takes like 90 minutes for the movie to start, then you get to endure Spock's Face flying through a space anus for seemingly 30 minutes, and then the movie ends ten minutes later.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I've never liked it either, it is just extremely sterile and incredibly overlong.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Sash! posted:

I'm going to go out there and say it, but I've never liked TMP.

I swear it takes like 90 minutes for the movie to start, then you get to endure Spock's Face flying through a space anus for seemingly 30 minutes, and then the movie ends ten minutes later.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > Star Trek: Spock's Face flying through a space anus

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's clearly a space vagina, get that poo poo right

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I have made several attempts to watch TMP, both the original theatrical release and the director's cut. Of those, I have managed to stay awake through the whole thing one time, with the aid of a lot of caffeine.

I like the bit where they reveal the revamped Enterprise, even if it drags on a little long. And I really like the bit at the end with Voyager 6, into which most of the actual plot was compressed. The rest of it? :tootzzz:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I recommend the legacy version instead then.

https://vimeo.com/217336882

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
whatever happened to the race of bald space babes with clavicle lights? they always drag out spock but never the cool old times babes

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

whatever happened to the race of bald space babes with clavicle lights? they always drag out spock but never the cool old times babes

The Deltans showed up on Picard again for like five minutes in Episode 1 this year.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
TMP rules you drooling nerds

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Turn on your PADD

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

TMP rules you drooling nerds

:agreed:

You jabronis can complain about the pace all you want, but that’s genuinely my favorite part of the movie. I love how slow and deliberate every single thing in every scene is, it’s the perfect thing to watch when you just want to sink into a movie completely.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Look you have to be able to pay attention so you get whiplash from them putting a scene making fun of McCoy's fear of transporters right next to a horrific transporter accident with the chilling line "Enterprise, what we got back didn't live long. Fortunately."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think TMP is a good movie but also cannot ever imagine watching it again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I think TMP is a good movie but also cannot ever imagine watching it again.

I feel, much like 2001: A Space Odyssey, which it was desperately trying to emulate, it's not so much a movie as it is an experience. Just a series of Profound Things happening in sequence. It takes until Wrath of Khan for Star Trek to finally figure out how to make an actual goddamn movie.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Dat pearlescent Aztecing paint job tho

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

jeeves posted:

Dat pearlescent Aztecing paint job tho

I have nothing but good things to say about the TMP Enterprise.

The TMP uniforms, now, let's not even get started.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Do the colors on the TMP uniforms mean anything, or are they just to make everything feel more beige and boring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

As long as we're on the topic of uniforms...