Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Moonlit altar area has a bunch of higher level smithing stones just sitting out to collect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Revitalized posted:

Can someone explain Millicent's story/quest line to me? Particularly why does it conclude the way it does?

Just seems kind of sudden and without any real elaboration. Like there are pieces to this piece of lore but none of it comes together for me.

She and others are a petal of fate stemming from a certain person and she is striving to be her own woman in spite of these forces, Gowry is probably suspect in his motivations. I have no idea why she willingly removed her needle to die beyond it being necessary for her to do so to give the player an opt out

Horace Kinch posted:

What's the closest thing to pre-nerf Hoarfrost Stomp since it got aborted? gently caress these Dual-Wielding knights in Castle Sol.

Flame of the Redmanes probably

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you're looking for a weapon ash that you can just spam over and over and annihilate anything before you tho, the one on the fallingstar beast jaw is where you wanna go. The problem is that whatever is going to be the big OP thing of the moment needs to be accessible from the start and it sure as hell ain't

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Flytrap posted:

Oh no, I didn't realize that the goat man was this game's Solaire ; ;

I think you're talking about Boc and I'm highly disturbed by the notion that he's a goat and not a baboon or something, goats with human-like hands are a bridge too far for me.

Horace Kinch posted:

What's the closest thing to pre-nerf Hoarfrost Stomp since it got aborted? gently caress these Dual-Wielding knights in Castle Sol.

Very dependent on how strong your visceral attacks are, but flame of the redmane lets your stagger dudes from a distance in a couple AoE casts

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

She and others are a petal of fate stemming from a certain person and she is striving to be her own woman in spite of these forces, Gowry is probably suspect in his motivations. I have no idea why she willingly removed her needle to die beyond it being necessary for her to do so to give the player an opt out

Gowry is a Rot-prawn in disguise, you find this out if you kill him midway through the quest. He wants Millicent to "bloom" to make sure the rot continues to spread and colonize the world. Why the needle is helping her bloom instead of holding the rot at bay isn't something I'm sure about though

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Revitalized posted:

Can someone explain Millicent's story/quest line to me? Particularly why does it conclude the way it does?

Just seems kind of sudden and without any real elaboration. Like there are pieces to this piece of lore but none of it comes together for me.

Going off some cut Malenia dialogue she was probably going to merge with her or transmogrify into her before they chopped her quest up and had it end like 10 feet from her destination for no reason

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
Of all the bosses to be stuck on I am getting totally ruined by the phantom version of Godfrey, something about his phantom lighting is causing my PS4 to stutter and drop frames constantly and it's making it impossible to fight him, I'm dropping inputs and mistiming everything.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Gowry is a Rot-prawn in disguise, you find this out if you kill him midway through the quest. He wants Millicent to "bloom" to make sure the rot continues to spread and colonize the world. Why the needle is helping her bloom instead of holding the rot at bay isn't something I'm sure about though

That's news to me, but if Malenia had a needle in her and it being broken in battle is what caused the first bloom, it would make sense that he would push her to engage in battle after getting a needle? He wasn't expecting her to be successful thanks to my using a jar cannon to throw her sisters over the edge I guess, so Millicent was left to suffer what Malenia would've if she had been victorious?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I've been messing around with my Mimic's AI and it's honestly kind of fun now that it's a bit stupider and more limited. Before, if I spawned him while holding my staff, he would switch to my equipped melee weapon pretty quick, but now it seems like he can only use what you are specifically holding at the moment you summon him. So I can spawn him while holding a shield and a sacred seal and basically have the ultimate support tank, there only to heal and buff me so I don't have to do it myself. Though you need to be careful about which incantations you give him, otherwise he will just stand there and cast Flame, Grant Me Strength over and over again despite never attacking.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blue Raider posted:

Man, moo veil really breaks this game huh

Moonveil, phone posting

A fun thing about Moonveil is that other katanas are almost as good (or better, in the case of Rivers of Blood).

Normal katanas can use the Unsheathe weapon art, which is the same as Transient Moonlight but without the beam. Don't get me wrong, the range on the beam is a huge bonus for Moonveil, but Unsheathe does more damage, costs less FP, and does just as much poise damage. Unsheathe wrecks bosses. People were talking about it a lot in the like two days the game was out before Moonveil stole the spotlight, but Unsheathe is pretty amazing in its own right.

Transient Moonlight is Unsheathe with less damage but more range.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

It's not quite that simple with Gowry, I don't think. He's definitely using the bodies of the Kindred of Rot, but I don't know if he is one himself, because if you kill him and just see a rot bug, he'll come back as soon as you reload the area while taunting you about how it's pointless to kill him. He's something powerful, whatever he is, and possessing Kindred of Rot to communicate with the player and Millicent.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Finished the game earlier today, absolutely loved it, definitely my fav Fromsoft game. I really don't care much for the lore or whatever, even less interested than I was in dark souls but the scale more than makes up for it.
Looking forward to checking out the other endings and stuff i missed and doing some different playstyles.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is dual wielding a bleed and frost version of the same sword as OP as it sounds?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

actionjackson posted:

is dual wielding a bleed and frost version of the same sword as OP as it sounds?

Only if you aren't used to your weapons staggering things

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

That's news to me, but if Malenia had a needle in her and it being broken in battle is what caused the first bloom, it would make sense that he would push her to engage in battle after getting a needle? He wasn't expecting her to be successful thanks to my using a jar cannon to throw her sisters over the edge I guess, so Millicent was left to suffer what Malenia would've if she had been victorious?

The item you get if you betray Millicent says that betrayal is what triggered her bloom (and if you go to where she died, there will be a big red flower if you betrayed her). It could be that the needle keeps the rot from killing her, but major stresses will overwhelm the needle, though that doesn't matter if the bloom is imminent.

Harrow posted:

It's not quite that simple with Gowry, I don't think. He's definitely using the bodies of the Kindred of Rot, but I don't know if he is one himself, because if you kill him and just see a rot bug, he'll come back as soon as you reload the area while taunting you about how it's pointless to kill him. He's something powerful, whatever he is, and possessing Kindred of Rot to communicate with the player and Millicent.

I looked at some of his dialogue, and:

"In the age of the Elden Ring, and Queen Marika, the precious Empyrean was born. A new god to forge a new Order.
Since Malenia fought Radahn, and the great scarlet flower blossomed in Aeonia, I have dedicated myself to her.
And to the resplendence of the Order of Rot. The cycle of decay and rebirth."

He does seem to be a genuine and powerful devotee of the Rot, yes. Facilitating more blooms, despite the objections of the avatars of Rot themselves, does seem to be in his wheelhouse.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The item you get if you betray Millicent says that betrayal is what triggered her bloom (and if you go to where she died, there will be a big red flower if you betrayed her). It could be that the needle keeps the rot from killing her, but major stresses will overwhelm the needle, though that doesn't matter if the bloom is immnenient.

What kind of monster would do that tho

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

What kind of monster would do that tho

You get a really good talisman if you do

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Only if you aren't used to your weapons staggering things

can you not stagger with power stance?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

You get a really good talisman if you do

Yeah, but for a dex build right? AKA the most degenerate and scumbag fucker build to pursue?

actionjackson posted:

can you not stagger with power stance?

Depends on the weapons. I've got a single +24 Lance that will stagger more often than 2 PVP meta katanas

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

huh posted:

Commander Niall is impossible.

This run back has to be in contention for one of the most irritating runs back to the boss in the game, not too hard to dodge the enemies but one frequently gets a swipe off after getting through the fog wall.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

eleven extra elephants posted:

This run back has to be in contention for one of the most irritating runs back to the boss in the game, not too hard to dodge the enemies but one frequently gets a swipe off after getting through the fog wall.

step on the platform right by the boss arena to lower it and then use the grace from outside the castle to make a clean run back to it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you're stuck a Niall summon help, apparently it's the perfect fight for nuke wizards so they all have their signs down there

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Depends on the weapons. I've got a single +24 Lance that will stagger more often than 2 PVP meta katanas

tolomeo switched to power stancing lordsworn straight sword for his sl1 run and it seems really good. and there are two spots it drops from

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

For a strength build to be 'good' you definitely want to use powerstancing though.
2-handing a big heavy fuckoff hammer/sword will end up doing lower damage with slower swings than power stancing a couple of 2-pound katanas.
Use 2 weapons at once or go home, basically. It's really strong in this game, basically always better than 2-handing.

Dude, can't thank you enough for this commentary. This was the answer - dual-stanced the greatsword and not only did I finally kill Malenia, I absolutely wrecked her. Both phases. I wish I'd been recording it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

actionjackson posted:

tolomeo switched to power stancing lordsworn straight sword for his sl1 run and it seems really good. and there are two spots it drops from

Lordsworn straight and great swords are extremely good for how early you get them and how boring they are to be fair

Powerstancing straight swords can really put out some numbers but it depends a lot on the swords in question because across the type the movesets and stamina damage varies pretty wildly

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Scruffpuff posted:

Dude, can't thank you enough for this commentary. This was the answer - dual-stanced the greatsword and not only did I finally kill Malenia, I absolutely wrecked her. Both phases. I wish I'd been recording it.

which greatswords can you get two of in the same game cycle? I'm level 130 with 48 str 40 dex so I can do pretty much anything

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If I wanted to do a powerstance Straight Sword run I'd probably just slap Bleed on both and use Square Off in the mainhand. It's basically a gaijin double katana setup at that point.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

actionjackson posted:

which greatswords can you get two of in the same game cycle? I'm level 130 with 48 str 40 dex so I can do pretty much anything

knight's greatsword and banished knight's greatsword are both enemy drops. iron greatsword is also technically an enemy drop but good loving luck seeing even one of them

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Epic High Five posted:

I don't think Malenia has a needle. The game explicitly mentions her rot progressing every time she "blooms" - but she's also an Empyrian, a demi-good, she's powerful and beyond most mortals and even other demi-gods. Millicent's sisters, for one reason or another, were failures; Millicent herself was a success but her body couldn't suppress, or live with, the rot the way Malenia does so Gowry asked you to find the needle which, as the description of the more complete needle mentions, is designed to fend off the influence of outside presences, such as outer gods. Presumably this incomplete and unformed needle would weaken and suppress, but not stop, the rot enough to let Millicent adapt and evolve the way Malenia had. Malenia's first bloom came from her stabbing herself with her own blade while fighting Radahn. There's a second bloom just outside of her boss arena, and when you beat her, she turns into a third. Furthermore if you betray Millicent, rather than help, she too turns into a similar bloom. The rot's entire thing is the cycle of death and rebirth. So, I assume, Gowry's plan was for her sisters to kill Millicent and have her bloom there in the pool of rot. Much like how Malenia killed herself to bloom and take out all of caelid, only to be reborn again, and again. I think Millicent realized that she was playing into someone else's guiding plan for her, and wasn't too into that. Some of the last bits of dialogue you have with her before the final choice has her talking about Malenia's pride and dignity; and she ultimately killed herself when she realized she couldn't beat Radahn. So it kind of makes sense that Millicent, not wanting to turn into something beyond her control, would rather succumb to the rot and simply die as herself than let someone else "win".

EDIT: also while I'm at it, I assume the second bloom comes from when Mohg showed up to steal Miquella. We don't really have a timeline on things, but either she slept through it post-radahn or fought him and lost. So, imo, it would make sense that if she lost; she'd have bloomed and come back to life there before going back to wait for Miquella's return while the whole tree was now infected with rot like caelid.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 26, 2022

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

huh posted:

use the lift near the fog door instead of running past the knights because they can teleport into the boss room. use a summon to drag aggro take out the dual wielding guy. leave the sheild guy alive and focus on doing as much damage as you can to niall. if you do it right he wont have much health left when he transforms and you should be able to finish him off.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

huh posted:

Mimic Tear, Hoarfrost Stomp.

Once the summons are dead he's no worse then the rest of the easy bosses. He's got a pretty limited moveset in general and moves slow.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Vermain posted:

knight's greatsword and banished knight's greatsword are both enemy drops. iron greatsword is also technically an enemy drop but good loving luck seeing even one of them

thanks, looks like both of those have good farming spots too

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

you can also use bewitching branches to charm the knights, as demonstrated by ongbal here

it's still an extremely frustrating fight solo if you don't have a specific setup for it

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Vermain posted:

you can also use bewitching branches to charm the knights, as demonstrated by ongbal here

it's still an extremely frustrating fight solo if you don't have a specific setup for it

lmao holy poo poo

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

actionjackson posted:

The ones I picked in this instance was the gargoyle and lordsworn, frost on the first, blood on the second. Pulled out the mimic too, gently caress a fair fight. It was like putting her through a wood chipper.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay whoever suggested using the bubble blower on big guys, I was able to beat Borealis the ice dragon with it and my trusty mimic

I died the first time because I didn’t realize the bubbles only travel 50 feet

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

huh posted:

summon a mage and hang back when entering the arena so as not to draw aggro and throw everything off

the two adds go down easy in one physick-enabled cast of comet azur and niall will be at like 30% health afterwards

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Knight Greatsword is super easy to farm cause the Dragon Prayerbook guy can be dunked on by people of any level and you'll probably have a pile of them by the time you get his full set of armor.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

actionjackson posted:

You don't need to have two of the exact same weapon, just two of the same weapon category, like greatsword, curved sword, halberd, etc. Any two greatswords dual-wielded will work together (as long as they're the same category of greatsword--a greatsword and a colossal greatsword won't work together, for example).

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

SHISHKABOB posted:

Honest question, I'm curious if you've ever played a souls game before.

Only Demons Souls in it's entirety on PS3 and PS5. And I played like 60% of Dark Souls 1

I know they have that whole obscured storytelling thing but as someone else pointed out, her questline goes straight up to like 10 feet away from her supposed destination and is like "nah" and none of what she says seems to elaborate on recent events.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Interesting, okay that's a pretty neat take on Gowry's motivation and I guess the secret behind Millicent's journey, but I guess Millicent doesn't elaborate on any of that before telling you to leave her be. (Heck, I don't even know if she knew.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Steve Yun posted:

Okay whoever suggested using the bubble blower on big guys, I was able to beat Borealis the ice dragon with it and my trusty mimic

I died the first time because I didn’t realize the bubbles only travel 50 feet

hey i think that was me! envoy's long horn, still an MVP in my book