Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I know I shouldn't be shocked but seeing people flock to defend Will Smith committing a violent crime during the Oscars then getting a standing ovation an hour later is pretty nuts. His acceptance speech was basically him saying God told him to do it- just completely unhinged poo poo. Our culture is deeply, perhaps terminally sick. A lot of the same people cheering Smith would get the vapors at hitting someone for loudly advocating for genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I hope he at least did the gentlemanly thing and offered his wife first crack at Rock's face.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I know I shouldn't be shocked but seeing people flock to defend Will Smith committing a violent crime during the Oscars then getting a standing ovation an hour later is pretty nuts. His acceptance speech was basically him saying God told him to do it- just completely unhinged poo poo. Our culture is deeply, perhaps terminally sick. A lot of the same people cheering Smith would get the vapors at hitting someone for loudly advocating for genocide.

It’s rich people business, you don’t have to care. They don’t give a poo poo about you, after all.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The LAPD says they won't be charging Smith with assault because Chris Rock declined to file a police report and "lack of evidence/victim cooperation." Even though it was broadcast on live TV and you don't need the victim to file a police report to charge someone with a crime.

If Rock doesn't really care, then whatever (although I assume there is strong social pressure on him to not do anything and say it is fine), but just lol that the LAPD are apparently powerless to make a case with video evidence of the incident and the person who did the assault later admitted to it on live TV, because they didn't get a police report that night.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The LAPD says they won't be charging Smith with assault because Chris Rock declined to file a police report and "lack of evidence/victim cooperation." Even though it was broadcast on live TV and you don't need the victim to file a police report to charge someone with a crime.

If Rock doesn't really care, then whatever (although I assume there is strong social pressure on him to not do anything and say it is fine), but just lol that the LAPD are apparently powerless to make a case with video evidence of the incident and the person who did the assault later admitted to it on live TV, because they didn't get a police report that night.

See last post, rich people business; they get to decide which laws apply, and the cops go along with it, right in front of all of us.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I can't think of any reason why someone like Chris Rock would decline to engage with the LAPD. Weird!

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Hitting people whose jokes punch down, people who mock others with disabilities, or advocate for genocide is okay actually.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Do you need to speak to the manager?

Here's a deep peek on Manchin's coal investments

https://twitter.com/ella_nilsen/status/1508441439696474118

Pretty obvious this person will never allow coal to be properly regulated.

On another note, a reminder that America's defense budget is astronomically larger than any other nation.

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1508441555601965068

See, if America’s defense budget being this high resulted in competency it’d be one thing. Whatever accounting is done to bribe or grease and spend on bullshit unnecessary equipment to line defense companies suck. Can’t even protect against russian internet trolls holding infrastructure hostage. And it can’t fix grifters and bad leaders wanting to do war in the Middle East leading to failures in Afghanistan, etc.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm very anti violence and I think what happened there at the Oscars was perfectly acceptable

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

I can't think of any reason why someone like Chris Rock would decline to engage with the LAPD. Weird!

He doesn't need to. It happened on live TV and the person who did the assault used their Oscar speech to say that god told him to do it to protect his family.

The LAPD is just using that as a flimsy excuse that would never happen in another situation. It's just funny that the excuse was so low effort that they went with "not enough evidence of the incident broadcast on live TV and a police report hasn't been filed in the last 12 hours." It's just because Smith is a celebrity and there is a strong professional incentive for Rock and Smith to not make a big deal out of it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Harold Fjord posted:

I'm very anti violence and I think what happened there at the Oscars was perfectly acceptable

Yeah, I'm having a hard time faulting Will's actions. Granted, Will himself (like many comedians/actors) also has a history of making jokes in poor taste, but this was personal for sure.

Maybe punching down in jokes is bad?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Lib and let die posted:

I gotta admit that for a while I found myself wondering what the perception would be if, instead of Chris Rock, the slappee was...oh....let's say Ben Stiller or Wil Farrell. Trying to think of a relatively well liked white comedian actor. A part of me thinks the narrative might have been a little different if you know what I'm saying.

E:

Also reading that Manchin stock poo poo and remain baffled why members of congress aren't forced to divest while they're in office. Well, not baffled so much as irritated and mad.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 28, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think in any circumstance where someone insults someone else's wife, gets a solid smack, and everyone moves on, the cop should not be involved.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Bishyaler posted:

Hitting people whose jokes punch down, people who mock others with disabilities, or advocate for genocide is okay actually.

No it's really not and a tasteless joke about hair isn't in the same category as advocating for genocide. That a lot of people seemingly agree with you is the real problem.

I don't really care about the slap itself. Rock wasn't hurt (he's got a real chin turns out) but the endless takes of "this hair joke justifies violence" is insane.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

VitalSigns posted:

This response is exactly why I posted it here, the only reason I know I'm not the only one asking and their it's not just me whining about "a little injustice" is because I've seen others ask here, for the benefit of other people who may also be asking and getting privately brushed off with lovely responses like this.

This response is also why I stopped bothering with PMs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gonna eat the probe to agree with this.
It needs to be looked at and hasn't been.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

:hai: also it's a good distraction from talking about CODA so heck in that regard I'm glad of it.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

No it's really not and a tasteless joke about hair isn't in the same category as advocating for genocide. That a lot of people seemingly agree with you is the real problem.

I don't really care about the slap itself. Rock wasn't hurt (he's got a real chin turns out) but the endless takes of "this hair joke justifies violence" is insane.

No, mocking someone with a medical condition/disability isn't the same as advocating for genocide, but the first is how you build support for the second.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I gotta admit that for a while I found myself wondering what the perception would be if, instead of Chris Rock, the slappee was...oh....let's say Ben Stiller or Wil Farrell. Trying to think of a relatively well liked white comedian actor. A part of me thinks the narrative might have been a little different if you know what I'm saying.

E:

Also reading that Manchin stock poo poo and remain baffled why members of congress aren't forced to divest while they're in office. Well, not baffled so much as irritated and mad.

I can already hear the terrible right-wing jokes writing themselves. "You can dress those [redacted]s up in a nice suit but under that tux there's still a [redacted]!!"

On a human side though If someone came for my wife over some medical poo poo she couldn't control, the only reason I wouldn't be trying to lay hand to face is because I'd be about 3 steps behind my wife, she don't take no poo poo like that. I think a lot of folks are trying to ascribe rational analysis to human emotion, which is...ya know...not rational.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bishyaler posted:

No, mocking someone with a medical condition/disability isn't the same as advocating for genocide, but the first is how you build support for the second.

"Chris Rock making a G.I. Jane joke in 2022 about someone worth half a billion dollars is the first step towards genocide" is quite a take.

Maybe making dated and lame jokes is bad, but also having someone worth half a billion punch someone for telling a joke and the police letting it go because they are famous is also bad?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

What is the over/under on how many days until the NYT publishes an Op-Ed about Will Smith proving that the creeping threat to free speech has moved off of college campuses and social media to the real world?

the best future-take I've seen in the wild was "Why hasn't Will Smith been this angry at Russia?" which, honestly, will likely cross from parody to reality if it hasn't already.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Oh, poo poo, do you have a list of medical conditions that you’re allowed to make fun of?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

the best future-take I've seen in the wild was "Why hasn't Will Smith been this angry at Russia?" which, honestly, will likely cross from parody to reality if it hasn't already.

I've already been seeing deranged takes by blue checkmarks trying to compare Will Smith to Putin so I am sure it is just a matter of time before the NYT or something unleashes an insanely bad thinkpiece.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Yeah I can't scold Will Smith for that. If somebody were mocking my partner's most personal insecurities / disabilities / differences right in front of both of us like that, well I'd boil over too and I'm not a particularly wrathful man to begin with. He didn't even hit Rock with a closed fist, that's pretty reserved of him.

Sometimes you do in fact get hit after you start talking poo poo.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I mean, given their recalcitrance on charging monsters like Ed Buck & Harvey Weinstein until pressured publicly to do so--not to mention their sordid history on ignoring domestic assault (*cough*nicole simpson*cough*)--I wouldn't hold my breath.

I reckon if Villanueva or any of the candidates for Garcetti's job make a stink about it they might reconsider, but probably not.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Srice posted:

I've already been seeing deranged takes by blue checkmarks trying to compare Will Smith to Putin so I am sure it is just a matter of time before the NYT or something unleashes an insanely bad thinkpiece.

If I was good at photoshop I'd put Will Smith in Putin's empty table slapping the air

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

"Chris Rock making a G.I. Jane joke in 2022 about someone worth half a billion dollars is the first step towards genocide" is quite a take.

Maybe making dated and lame jokes is bad, but also having someone worth half a billion punch someone for telling a joke and the police letting it go because they are famous is also bad?

The ADL has pretty clear guidelines on how this process works. She's been public about her medical condition, Chris chose to mock it on a national platform.

https://www.adl.org/sites/default/files/documents/pyramid-of-hate.pdf

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
In hindsight Will Smith should have found an alternative to physical violence, but I also do not blame him for it. I mean that's just how these things are sometimes. In the end nobody seems to have been seriously hurt so I'm willing to just let it be what it was. Although a more robust apology would be a good idea.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I think we can all agree that Chris Rock seems like the piece of poo poo in this situation.

If someone publicly made fun of my wife's immune disorder I would probably do the same thing, and i would end up looking like an rear end in a top hat like Smith does here.

Either way it's stupid poo poo that distracts from important things like how the mods are keeping posters down

Willa Rogers posted:

Jesus

https://twitter.com/MatthewdAncona/status/1508404748361285632

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Will Smith laughed at the joke himself before Jada gave him the look. Then went on to give a speech about god telling him to protect his family.

Calling a professional comedian making a joke about another celebrities hair 'punching down' is a bit of a stretch. She's not battling cancer here. If Rock had made a joke about another celebrities male pattern baldness no one would have batted an eye, nor should they have.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Bishyaler posted:

Lol quoting this for posterity. Balding people are definitely next in line for the ovens, multimillionaire actors go in first.

Smith's verbal outburst was defensible. Telling someone to loudly gently caress off if they're crossing a line is ok. Assaulting that person isn't, especially when they go up and claim God gave them permission to a standing ovation.

tk posted:

Oh, poo poo, do you have a list of medical conditions that you’re allowed to make fun of?

No one, and I mean no one, is defending Rock's joke. Like among the millions of takes surrounding this, that is the one you will not see anywhere. What we adults are discussing is whether or not Smith was justified in physically assaulting someone for the joke(he wasn't). Let me know when you're ready to join that conversation.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 28, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

bobua posted:

Will Smith laughed at the joke himself before Jada gave him the look. Then went on to give a speech about god telling him to protect his family.

Calling a professional comedian making a joke about another celebrities hair 'punching down' is a bit of a stretch. She's not battling cancer here. If Rock had made a joke about another celebrities male pattern baldness no one would have batted an eye, nor should they have.

It's a minor form of punching down. Alopecia is not exactly the same as male pattern baldness, and can be quite challenging to a person.

It was a joke in poor taste, but ultimately not worth violence. Words could have handled it.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Sir Lemming posted:

In hindsight Will Smith should have found an alternative to physical violence, but I also do not blame him for it. I mean that's just how these things are sometimes. In the end nobody seems to have been seriously hurt so I'm willing to just let it be what it was. Although a more robust apology would be a good idea.

The comparison of this to some guy on the street taking a poo poo on your wife isn't apt. This is closer to going to a celebrity roast and not being able to take a joke. Its not a perfect comparison, but its much closer than the hypothetical rando making fun of your spouse.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DHS/HHS plan to "review" the use of Title 42 at the border on March 30th and potentially end it sometime in April.

Kelly is joining his fellow Arizona Senator in requesting that they not end Title 42 until they develop a comprehensive border and health plan to replace it.

Both of them argue that the "Irregular Mass Migration Contingency Plan" that DHS has developed to replace Title 42 use at the border is not comprehensive enough and that they have not organized with or consulted local communities and elected officials.

16 Republicans also signed a similar letter. But, they can't directly do anything about it unless they pass new legislation.

DHS didn't comment on either letter.

https://twitter.com/rollcall/status/1508459062597455874

quote:

Democratic Sens. Kyrsten Sinema and Mark Kelly of Arizona urged President Joe Biden against lifting a public health directive used to close the border to asylum-seekers until the administration has a plan in place to process migrants’ claims.

quote:

Title 42 “should not be in effect indefinitely,” Kelly and Sinema said in their letter, noting the dangerous conditions to which the policy subjects expelled migrants. But at the same time, chaos at the border “also negatively affects migrants’ safety and could further strain an already overwhelmed health care system at the border,” they wrote.

An abrupt policy change without a comprehensive plan ready to replace it “would significantly increase the strain on DHS, border communities, and local nonprofits that are already near or at capacity,” they said.

Kelly and Sinema said they haven’t seen evidence that the Department of Homeland Security is prepared to process the high numbers of asylum claims anticipated if Title 42 is lifted at the end of the month.

quote:

They noted that the department has developed an “Irregular Mass Migration Contingency Plan” but said it “contains unanswered questions and does not seem likely to allow DHS to secure the border, protect our communities, and ensure migrants are treated fairly and humanely.”

According to the senators, the administration has also not engaged with local government and community leaders in Arizona about changes to the expulsion policy.

Earlier Thursday, more than a dozen Republican senators, led by Sen. Rick Scott, R-Fla., raised similar concerns about DHS planning in a letter that requested information on the department’s “preparation and plans to deter and respond to the anticipated surge of illegal border crossings.”

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It was a joke in poor taste, but ultimately not worth violence. Words could have handled it.

Calling your partner a scumsucking shitbag and watching you calmly say this to their face lol.

That'll go over real well in the following days and nights and years of yalls relationship. They'll definitely respect your commitment to nonviolence lmao

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Lol quoting this for posterity. Balding people are definitely next in line for the ovens, multimillionaire actors go in first.

Smith's verbal outburst was defensible. Telling someone to loudly gently caress off if they're crossing a line is ok. Assaulting that person isn't, especially when they go up and claim God gave them permission to a standing ovation.

No one, and I mean no one, is defending Rock's joke. Like among the millions of takes surrounding this, that is the one you will not see anywhere. What we adults are discussing is whether or not Smith was justified and physically assaulting someone for the joke. Let me know when you're ready to join that conversation.

Yeah, there's certainly no intersection between racism, misogyny, and medical conditions happening here. My mother in law had the same auto immune disease with accompanying hairloss and it destroyed her self esteem to the point where she didn't even want to be seen shopping for groceries. But its sure something to see punching down at diseases being handwaved away by the same people who spent 4 years telling me how disgusting it was for Trump to mock disabilities.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Violence is okay if your feelings are really really hurt

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Flattening that slap into the same amorphous blob of "violence" that encompasses murders and war crimes is not as persuasive as you might think.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Harold Fjord posted:

Flattening that slap into the same amorphous blob of "violence" that encompasses murders and war crimes is not as persuasive as you might think.

Excusing it is also not as persuasive as you might think

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If someone insulted my wife I'd probably invade Eastern Europe too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

bobua posted:

I've been seeing this take and it's pretty weak. Your immediate reaction to something, especially in a very public/professional setting, doesn't always indicate how you really feel. And I dislike the implication that she intentionally goaded him, which is a pretty big stretch.