Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/ondeck/status/1508483245163245572?s=21&t=4UCTo81H1Cdr27j_gAsiRw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hell yeah hopefully next week is my week.

Also parsec works so much better for game streaming than steam. Like significantly better for me.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

Hell yeah hopefully next week is my week.

Also parsec works so much better for game streaming than steam. Like significantly better for me.

Moonlight too, but only works on an nvidia host via GFE. Native Steam streaming is terrible in comparison.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

RandomBlue posted:

Got mine but no haptic feedback on the left touch pad, though it works and the haptic feedback on the right touchpad is hosed up, feels like the vibration device isn't attached properly.

I thought mine was this way and it was just A Thing I was more than willing to live with (until whatever issue was sussed out and I just repaired the thing myself), but even though the haptic feedback during the "verify your buttons" stuff was happening on the right pad but not the left, at the end the "verify haptic feedback works" was vibrating the left side just fine...?

Not too sure what's up with that and whether it's actually intended or not, weird as hell

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I know they'll never do it because it'll just provide more opportunities for disappointed nerds to rage out at them if they can't deliver, but it'd be nice if they could narrow down the Q2 delivery dates to April/May/June now that they're starting Q2 shipments next week.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Quixzlizx posted:

I know they'll never do it because it'll just provide more opportunities for disappointed nerds to rage out at them if they can't deliver, but it'd be nice if they could narrow down the Q2 delivery dates to April/May/June now that they're starting Q2 shipments next week.

https://steam-deck-calculator.web.app/

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
So I understand I might be an edge case with 100+ games installed, but is it really going to be the case where every day I get 40-60 games getting shader updates?

Because that's been the case every day so far.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

May 16th. I guess it's good to finally be disillusioned about Q2 being anywhere near for me.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Dramicus posted:

So I understand I might be an edge case with 100+ games installed, but is it really going to be the case where every day I get 40-60 games getting shader updates?

Because that's been the case every day so far.

My understanding is that this happens more frequently if you change the version of Proton being used. Shaders need to be cached again after every update, so if you use the experimental branch (updated frequently) or swap to an older version, it will lead to shader updates.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rubbing my Birdman hands together right now salivating at the thought of getting that email knowing drat well I probably won't get poo poo for 3 months. lmao

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

512 GB, EU, ordered an hour after it went live, May 16 estimated.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

256gb EU, ordered within the first hour, prediction has been 2nd or 3rd week of april!

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

Would someone who has gotten their Deck mind running their own reservation time through this to see if it’s ballpark accurate? I know there are a lot of opaque variables here but I’m curious either way

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

gottagotowork posted:

Would someone who has gotten their Deck mind running their own reservation time through this to see if it’s ballpark accurate? I know there are a lot of opaque variables here but I’m curious either way

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tqjxm3/to_all_the_q1_folks_was_the_api_calculator/

To all the Q1 folks, was the API calculator prediction correct? posted:

I tried all 4 ways to calculate it and 3 of them said last week of the March and one said the one before, I got my email on 21nd.

Mine was not. The estimate said March 21, but I got my invite link today on the 28th.

Mine was correct. Said March 29th. One day off. 28th.

Mine was a week later than actual.

Not really the calculator had me at March 18th on one and the other was sometime in April but I received my email Feb 25th.

Prediction was two weeks later than reality for me.

Mine was, but the further we get out from launch the harder it will be to remain accurate. Orders will be cancelled, production will be increased, etc

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tgcx98/how_accurate_has_this_calculator_been_for_the/

How accurate has this calculator been for the people that have received theirs by now? posted:

This calculator was actually correct for me! It said I'd be able to order on Monday and sure enough, I got my email. However, I'd leave that up to luck rather than anything else. My rtReserveTime was 10:05:37 PST on the day preorders opened.

Mine is: Fri July 16 2021 18:07:00 GMT and the calculator says I should expect my order email this coming Monday ...
...Aaaand I've received my email as expected. Paying now...

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 29, 2022

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Idly curious about if I pre-ordered now, how long would the wait be?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Nam Taf posted:

Idly curious about if I pre-ordered now, how long would the wait be?

nobody knows because it's not known how production will ramp up, but according to valve definitely after Q3 so the absolute earliest is october 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's been at "after Q3" for so long that I think you'll be lucky to get it before december

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Basically I’m temporarily in the UK and so now have a chance to preorder whereas it’s not even available in Australia yet and has no indication of when that might change, so I’m thinking of getting in the queue and solving the logistics later.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

yeah just pre-order mate, it's a temporary 5 bucks and you can always decide on not buying it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Keep in mind, the calculator is just taking guesses based on how fast through the list they've moved, but there are a ton of variables that aren't taken into account. Valve started with an inventory, and we don't know how many on hand they are keeping. You also don't get, like, a steady stream of hardware so we don't know what the production throughput will look like.

So the calculator will give interesting data points, but the variables it's not aware of could change ship dates by weeks or even months. TBH, I am impressed with how steady Valve has shipped these out in the first quarter but also I wouldn't expect things to be so clockwork as they probably won't keep such a large stock on hand.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Bloodplay it again posted:

My understanding is that this happens more frequently if you change the version of Proton being used. Shaders need to be cached again after every update, so if you use the experimental branch (updated frequently) or swap to an older version, it will lead to shader updates.

I see, I'm on the stable branch. So I guess Valve has been doing lots of updates to Proton in the last few weeks, which is good.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'm sure management has gotten plenty of mileage out of the "all hands on deck" meeting jokes lately

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

gottagotowork posted:

was accurate for me

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dec 5th, changed my mind to order the 512.

Est: Monday March 27, 2023!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Marx Headroom posted:

I'm sure management has gotten plenty of mileage out of the "all hands on deck" meeting jokes lately

I know that I've spent a lot of time with my deck in my hands recently.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

July 17th. Not bad.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Has anyone else tried streaming from your desktop to your deck via the built in steam streaming? I can never get it to fill the entire screen of my deck, and there is bizarre upscaling/downscaling happening making details muddy.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Got mine today! The Deck feels good and it's lighter than I imagined, but I had some software issues. Started up Stardew Valley and had this weird hitching every 30 seconds or so. Gonna try it again later.

Went to use the browser to download Gamepass, but couldn't get any keyboard to appear on any textboxes. Restarted the machine and got keyboard with the Steam + X command.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

May 23rd on my end.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't think the calculator is factoring the increase in production/shipping that is expected in april, so just bear that in mind. valve is supposed to be ramping up in the next month, so people deep in Q3 and beyond will probably not get a very accurate calculation

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I ended up having to contact steam support to get my Q1 order in after not getting an email with the rest of the people yesterday. According to that, my estimated order date was two weeks ago, so I was probably skipped over somehow.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

gottagotowork posted:

retroactive estimate for a 256 was Mar 07 2022, actual was Mar 14

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Has anyone else tried streaming from your desktop to your deck via the built in steam streaming? I can never get it to fill the entire screen of my deck, and there is bizarre upscaling/downscaling happening making details muddy.

Just use Parcec or Moonlight.

I've never had good luck with the built in streaming.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

MarcusSA posted:

Just use Parcec or Moonlight.

I've never had good luck with the built in streaming.

Trying moonlight now. A bit of a pain to setup but I think I got it going.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Trying moonlight now. A bit of a pain to setup but I think I got it going.

Fwiw Parsec is ridiculously easy to get going.

I’ve tried moonlight but didn’t super care for it.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Kwolok posted:

I never had a problem with the Steam link beyond artifacts, due to connection speed. Are you using wifi or cabled connections before the Deck to whatever (wifi) option?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I really need to sit down and give it a 1:1 "use the same game in the same way with a wired connection" comparison but my (old, physical) steam link felt like it worked better than the steamdeck's current streaming, I'm not sure how much difference in the underlying tech there is at the OS level-- there has to be some since the steamlink can handle controller dongles that the steam deck itself doesn't seem to be able to out of the box, and I'm not sure what other "we're going to assume you're using wifi at a low resolution, with a steamdeck control scheme" optimizations they've got in play

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

I never had a problem with the Steam link beyond artifacts, due to connection speed. Are you using wifi or cabled connections before the Deck to whatever (wifi) option?

Cable. I got moonlight to not do all the weird artifacting. May try parsecs. So far nothing is as seamless as I'd like.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Kwolok posted:

Cable. I got moonlight to not do all the weird artifacting. May try parsecs. So far nothing is as seamless as I'd like.

Have you tinkered with any Steam streaming options on the host PC? I believe there is a remote play section where you can force it to use the client's display resolution and it might be set to a lower bitrate/performance mode by default. Dumb question and I assume yes, but it never hurts to ask. There're also toggles for vendor-specific encoding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Bloodplay it again posted:

Have you tinkered with any Steam streaming options on the host PC? I believe there is a remote play section where you can force it to use the client's display resolution and it might be set to a lower bitrate/performance mode by default. Dumb question and I assume yes, but it never hurts to ask. There're also toggles for vendor-specific encoding.

Yes done tons of tweaking at teh steam host settings. Nothing seems to work, moonlight does work so I know its possible, has anyone else gotten full edge to edge real estate without weird blurring wokring via remote play just using steam's native remote play features?