Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

LibCrusher posted:

I just hate odd numbered engines. It can’t be THAT much more efficient than a 4-cyl, can it?

Why not a beefy 2-banger like ducatis? That could be cool! Anything but 3.

Why? There are some cool sounding 3cyls.

Triumph Daytona 675, for one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sab669 posted:

There are in Canada, from what I've read online recently.

Yeah, our freedoms here in canuck-ville are pretty craptastic.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

LibCrusher posted:

I just hate odd numbered engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT50uHX7_D0&t=340s?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 28, 2022

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
They should make a flat 7 boxer engine imo

EDIT: and a V9.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Neo_Crimson posted:

They should make a flat 7 boxer engine imo

EDIT: and a V9.

W 13 would be fuckin sweet too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Kraftwerk posted:

What do we know specifically about the GR Corolla's specs? Isn't a 3-Cyl turbo a really overworked and high strung engine that doesn't lend itself well to longevity or long term sustainable power?

If it's the Yaris GR motor then it wont be an issue - Tuners are pushing 350+KwATW on the stock internals and block (From a 1.6 liter motor. Woooooooooooow) while reporting it's an overbuilt engine on teardowns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDhohKFCTFE

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 28, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

wesleywillis posted:

W 13 would be fuckin sweet too.

you could make a W11 out of a VR5 and a VR6 engine

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
More V-4s, flat-sixes, and straight-eights please

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Sab669 posted:

There are in Canada, from what I've read online recently.
The way it works is that the dealers can’t sell for more than the advertised price. This leads to the dealers putting down “call for price” in their ads.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

gently caress all that noise. Pratt&Whitney Wasp Major or nothing.

Disdain for non-4 row, 28 cylinder radials :smug:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

BloodBag posted:

BloodBag posted:

gently caress, all that noise.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BloodBag posted:

“My PRT makes more shp than your car.”

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Lotus Eletre will be debuting in about 40 minutes for all of you who have been asking for a 1000hp, 5000lb lotus.

https://www.lotuscars.com/

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Powershift posted:

The Lotus Eletre will be debuting in about 40 minutes for all of you who have been asking for a 1000hp, 5000lb lotus.

Oh cool, my 23.6 inch Dell Monitor. Wondered where I had left that.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 29, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's as gross as those patent shots. It's not like Lotus aren't capable of designing lovely cars but it's an SUV so why even bother making an effort, right? :lol:

https://twitter.com/lotuscars/status/1508882117027115013?t=B0NCmao0Rjcoz0W7VL3Oiw&s=19

lmao

https://twitter.com/AntonyWrites/status/1508896011946766344?t=80-ESCvP5bCe45HIKP7mPg&s=19

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 29, 2022

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Have the mentioned even remotely what this thing is going to cost?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It's just a less-attractive Urus...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Franco Caution posted:

Have the mentioned even remotely what this thing is going to cost?

"under £100k" apparently.

quote:

It sits on the optional 23in machine-cut, carbon fibre infused wheels, although 22s are standard; these are the minimum diameter the Eletre demands or it risks looking over-bodied. It’s theatrical, too: its headlights and the rear light ribbon using ‘RGB’ LEDs – red, green and blue, the combination of which can conjure up 16 million different hues – to boost the car’s graphics, but also enabling it to ‘communicate’ with the owner and other road users. This includes a ‘salute’ as the driver approaches, the active front aero slats ‘breathing’, and the flush door handles popping into view.

It needs at least 22s otherwise it'll look obviously as fat as it actually is. Phew.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 29, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I will never unsee this

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

"under £100k" apparently.

It needs at least 22s otherwise it'll look obviously as fat as it actually is. Phew.

The Zeekr 001 which which it shares most of the bits is only around $60k equivalent but it doesn't take the core principles and lotus DNA from more than 70 years of sports car design and engineering, and evolve them into a desirable all-new lifestyle car. Nor does it stick to Colin Chapman's core principles of "a perfect blend of high power and torque" or "add 22s to make it look less fat"

I am so sorry, Mr Chapman.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Imagine all the Lucas electrical smoke they had use for those batteries

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Imagine all the Lucas electrical smoke they had use for those batteries

They just installed an industrial hood vent over bigclivedotcom's workbench to collect all the spare smoke he lets out and that gave them enough for the first run.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Powershift posted:

SUV aside, can we all agree that site is cancer? WTF kind of design is that? Also gently caress lotus for biting Corsair's color scheme.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Oh yeah that site and layout was absolute dog poo poo. I was clicking all over the place right when the reveal started, and nothing went where it should. Things you clicked on just did random poo poo that wasnt even related to the car.
But to the Asian girl with the blue eye liner on one of the pages, :biglips:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

On the subject of hefty cars, Maserati has been constantly saying the MC20 is going to be "under 1500kg" so all the car reviewers have been rolling with it and saying 3307lbs.

Car and Driver got one to review and put it on a scale, and it is 3757lbs.

They said they'll get another one down the road in case they got some sort of weird production anomaly, but unless they accidentally used cast iron instead of carbon fibre, i can't imagine where a 450lb discrepancy came from.

Today they put it up against a 911 Turbo S lightweight package, and holy hell.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a39574054/2022-maserati-mc20-vs-2021-porsche-911-turbo-s-lightweight-compared/

The 911 did 0-60 in 2.1 seconds and 9.9@138mph.

The NHRA actually changed the rules to start requiring a roll bar at 9 seconds now instead of 10 for 2008 or later model year cars, because so many stock production cars are in the 9s now.

Also because cars don't crumple like a beer can as easily anymore.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ah yes, it looks like Maserati did the classic Italian lightening of the car where you just straight up lie.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

Ah yes, it looks like Maserati did the classic Italian lightening of the car where you just straight up lie.

I mean you can't really blame them, the standard of review journalism is usually so poor generally, marketing spiel regurgitated in a 'yeah you can copy but change it up a little' manner in order to guarantee further chances to review stuff.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Someone talk me out of this car, besides I don't really drive manual, this sounds fantastic and I need to replace my car soon

Edit its relatively new

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Someone talk me out of this car, besides I don't really drive manual, this sounds fantastic and I need to replace my car soon

Edit its relatively new

My DIL test drove one of those, enticed by the low price.

"That is the worst car I have ever driven in my life" was her opinion.

Drive it yourself before making a decision.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Russian Bear posted:

Maybe they weighed it with the C&D reviewer in it?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BloodBag posted:

Maybe they weighed it with the C&D reviewer in it?

Maybe italy is like the Hudson Bay area and there's just less gravity there.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Edit its relatively new

Your post may be the first time in history someone has described the Mirage as 'fantastic', most people use the term hateful

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Your post may be the first time in history someone has described the Mirage as 'fantastic', most people use the term hateful

I've never driven a Mitsubishi so I have no current opinions

Looks like online people complain about the fact its a 3c engine but I'm not sure if that's a big deal to me or not

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Edit its relatively new

go on cars.com, filter for manual transmission only, under $12K, and then buy any one of the cars that pops up. seriously. just pick one of the others at random. it will be better than the Mirage.

in my area that list includes a Camry, a Fiesta, an Impreza, a Focus, a Civic, a Matrix, etc. all those are better cars. there's also a Fiat 500 Abarth lmao

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Edit its relatively new

I'm a big fan of cheap and cheerful stuff but from what I've heard it's anything but cheerful to drive. I'd give it a shot but you'd probably be better off with a $12k civic or something.

E: spelling

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 30, 2022

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The Mirage needs to be like 7000 USD and then the price would feel more fair for what it is

I feel like it's edging up to the absolute minimum of what you could legally drive on a road in the US for a car sold in the modern era

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 30, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

go on cars.com, filter for manual transmission only, under $12K, and then buy any one of the cars that pops up. seriously. just pick one of the others at random. it will be better than the Mirage.

in my area that list includes a Camry, a Fiesta, an Impreza, a Focus, a Civic, a Matrix, etc. all those are better cars. there's also a Fiat 500 Abarth lmao

In 50 miles my options are 17 matches for under 15k and manual (it does not have to be manual, but good gas mileage is important)

Those options are:

2013 forester @ 120k mi for $12k
2011 jetta @ 111k mi for $13k
2012 fiat 500 @ 84k mi for $12k
2014 jetta @ 97k for $13k
2008 fj cruiser tow off lot (no)
2012 forester @164k for $10k
2016 Fiesta titanium @ 120k for $12k
2011 outback @ 172k for 9k
2014 scion tc @105k for $14k
2016 focus @ 70k for 13k
2011 Honda fit sport @ 106k for 11k
2014 focus @ 98k for $10k
2009 accent (too old)
2012 Kia soul base @ 87k for 8k
2005 cobalt (no)
2014 veloser base @ 65k for $14

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Edit its relatively new

I sat in this model at a car show one time and the driver side sun visor felt like it was made of cheap cardboard. It very well may have been.

Avoid.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

In 50 miles my options are 17 matches for under 15k and manual (it does not have to be manual, but good gas mileage is important)

Those options are:

2013 forester @ 120k mi for $12k
2011 jetta @ 111k mi for $13k
2012 fiat 500 @ 84k mi for $12k
2014 jetta @ 97k for $13k
2008 fj cruiser tow off lot (no)
2012 forester @164k for $10k
2016 Fiesta titanium @ 120k for $12k
2011 outback @ 172k for 9k
2014 scion tc @105k for $14k
2016 focus @ 70k for 13k
2011 Honda fit sport @ 106k for 11k
2014 focus @ 98k for $10k
2009 accent (too old)
2012 Kia soul base @ 87k for 8k
2005 cobalt (no)
2014 veloser base @ 65k for $14

Fiesta or Focus. The biggest problem with those was the auto transmission which you won't have to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am generally partial to electric, especially with these rising prices, and now I see a $11k 2014 leaf with 56k miles 🤔

Then again my criteria is going to be is it cheap and is the gas mileage good, and will I have to spend a lot in maintaining it because I went too cheap. I can't afford a tesla priced car, so that's not on the table.

dissss posted:

Fiesta or Focus. The biggest problem with those was the auto transmission which you won't have to worry about.

I will consider it, but I don't like Ford though. My last Ford was a 2001 taurus and I hated it